If I wanted to do it for the money, I would have become a dentist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AWittyName

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry to all the dentists out there, or the current dental students. But most of the time I hear about dentists, I also hear about how they are mostly in it for the money. I do understand that may not be the case all the time. I mean sure, dental school is only three years. That could become a residency program for us physicians. ( If they really wanted to practice dentistry? ) Anyway, that's not the point I am trying to get across.

I was just wanting to hear from you guys if you ever have been asked if you're in it for the money or not? Also if you ever heard any fellow students, or attendings that has said they are in it just for the money? I have heard it a few times, which I can never really get a grip around. The one main question I want to ask, but I never have is that "If you wanted to do it for the money, why do four years undergrad, four years grad, then 4-7 years of residency? Then on top of that 1-3 years of fellowship?" That's why I say if you want to do it for the money, become a dentist. They do four years undergrad, three grad, then 1-2 years of residency. That is unless if they attend an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery/MD program. Which happens to be seven years.

Feel free to call me ignorant if you wish.

- Emily

Members don't see this ad.

cool story

saved on my computer to read to future grandchildren

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm sorry to all the dentists out there, or the current dental students. But most of the time I hear about dentists, I also hear about how they are mostly in it for the money. I do understand that may not be the case all the time. I mean sure, dental school is only three years. That could become a residency program for us physicians. ( If they really wanted to practice dentistry? ) Anyway, that's not the point I am trying to get across.

I was just wanting to hear from you guys if you ever have been asked if you're in it for the money or not? Also if you ever heard any fellow students, or attendings that has said they are in it just for the money? I have heard it a few times, which I can never really get a grip around. The one main question I want to ask, but I never have is that "If you wanted to do it for the money, why do four years undergrad, four years grad, then 4-7 years of residency? Then on top of that 1-3 years of fellowship?" That's why I say if you want to do it for the money, become a dentist. They do four years undergrad, three grad, then 1-2 years of residency. That is unless if they attend an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery/MD program. Which happens to be seven years.

Feel free to call me ignorant if you wish.

- Emily

Ya no your wrong... your post is full of errors.. dental school is 4 years not 3 there is only one 3 year school in the country..

Why crap on dentists? Not everyone went into the field for $$ alone. It's a decent career path that happens to be 99.99% procedures and 0.01% diagnosis, which is appealing to a lot of people. Sure, they organize well as a profession and protect their paychecks, but that doesn't mean they're only in it for the money. It just means they have more business acumen than us MD's who would rather throw each other under the bus.

Anyway, medicine is a great career that offers an unusual degree of financial stability. People will always accuse you of going into it solely for the money until those very people manage to make more than you.

Ya no your wrong... your post is full of errors.. dental school is 4 years not 3 there is only one 3 year school in the country..

Your post is error filled too

You are*

I know a dentist and he loves his job. It's not just about the money for him. He is actually passionate about tooth care (different strokes for different folks). Also he loves watching kids grow up over the years without having to deal with the tragedy that must eventually be faced by pediatricians. He feels like his job is making an important contribution to society. When you consider that people used to have no teeth left by age 60 and sometimes die of mouth abscesses after pulling their decayed teeth out with dirty pliers, I'd say that he's right.

Dental school is 4 years.

You are ignorant.

Why crap on dentists? Not everyone went into the field for $$ alone. It's a decent career path that happens to be 99.99% procedures and 0.01% diagnosis, which is appealing to a lot of people. Sure, they organize well as a profession and protect their paychecks, but that doesn't mean they're only in it for the money. It just means they have more business acumen than us MD's who would rather throw each other under the bus.

Anyway, medicine is a great career that offers an unusual degree of financial stability. People will always accuse you of going into it solely for the money until those very people manage to make more than you.

:thumbup:

I'm sorry, this is way too ironic. *You're. Also by the way, anyway I will just fix your whole sentence. "Yeah, you're wrong. Your whole post is full of errors. Dental school is four years long, not three. There is only one three year school in the country." You're welcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a dentist and he loves his job. It's not just about the money for him. He is actually passionate about tooth care (different strokes for different folks). Also he loves watching kids grow up over the years without having to deal with the tragedy that must eventually be faced by pediatricians. He feels like his job is making an important contribution to society. When you consider that people used to have no teeth left by age 60 and sometimes die of mouth abscesses after pulling their decayed teeth out with dirty pliers, I'd say that he's right.
I respect that, mainly only cause you're the only poster that has not made a rude statement back. But I am just saying that physicians could do it if they wanted to. There is a bunch of other four year residency programs out there for different things.

Dental school is 4 years.

You are ignorant.
Sure, I make one mistake and everyone goes crazy. That's pretty funny. Sure it's four years, physicians still could do it. My aunt is a hygienist, she only went to school for two years and can do the whole dentists job.

oh god no :(
Are you telling me that you are not aware that "you're"="You are"????????

I dont actually believe you are a medical student..... or maybe you are in an ND school and like "Same diff' lolz". You usually only encounter this level of brazen arrogant garbage in pre-allo.....

I am just saying that a physician can do a dentists job. My aunt is a hygienist and only went to school for two years, and now can practically do the dentists job.

I mean, I can pull out my own teeth if needed. Yet I will never have to do so, why? Because I can remind myself to brush and floss my own teeth.

P.S. That was written to sound ignorant, and just to "crap" on dentists more. ;)

I dont actually believe you are a medical student..... or maybe you are in an ND school and like "Same diff' lolz". You usually only encounter this level of brazen arrogant garbage in pre-allo.....
Why, yes I am.

P.S. I am actually a medical student.

Yet I don't believe you are a medical student, because you can't even spell out "laughing out loud" as the full thing! You see what I did there? I just gave you a pointless reason why you may not be a medical student, like you did to me.

I am just saying that a physician can do a dentists job. My aunt is a hygienist and only went to school for two years, and now can practically do the dentists job.

I mean, I can pull out my own teeth if needed. Yet I will never have to do so, why? Because I can remind myself to brush and floss my own teeth.

P.S. That was written to sound ignorant, and just to "crap" on dentists more. ;)

If you honestly think your aunt who is a hygienist can do everything a dentist can, then you are absolutly clueless and there is no point in arguing with you because you make ignorant and stupid statements.

if thats you're pic emily....you might be ignorant but daamn id do you

If you honestly think your aunt who is a hygienist can do everything a dentist can, then you are absolutly clueless and there is no point in arguing with you because you make ignorant and stupid statements.
What else should I expect from a dental student? You probably put your parents too far in debt already to actually go back. ( not saying I am not in debt. ) Also I completely understand for the rest of your life you want to place crowns, fill teeth, and interpret x rays. Well actually my aunt can interpret the x rays herself. So mainly placing crowns, and filling teeth. But wait, remember how many lives you're saving by placing dentures.

I can deal with your crap all day if needed, but you're giving up on mine. That's also probably why you can't become a physician, you give up too easily.

I actually transferred from dental school! Haha, did you get that? Basically called dental students dumb. Anywho I actually didn't transferred, because I felt that if I didn't correct it, you might actually thought I did transfer from a dental school! And I am just sharing my opinions, I am sorry if you don't like them. But if you are pointing out that if you think "medical students" are getting dumber, then wouldn't that be calling yourself dumb, or any other medical student dumb?

What else should I expect from a dental student? You probably put your parents too far in debt already to actually go back. ( not saying I am not in debt. ) Also I completely understand for the rest of your life you want to place crowns, fill teeth, and interpret x rays. Well actually my aunt can interpret the x rays herself. So mainly placing crowns, and filling teeth. But wait, remember how many lives you're saving by placing dentures.

I can deal with your crap all day if needed, but you're giving up on mine. That's also probably why you can't become a physician, you give up too easily.

HAHA no actually I applied to med school and dental school.. both of my parents are physicians. My dad is an ER physician and my mom is a urologist. 1) I scored a 37S on my MCAT and was accepted into several MD programs, and no my GPA wasn't ****ty when I graduated I had a 3.75 2) I want to be an OMFS, and dental is the best route to go to do this 3) I work in a hospital and my roommate is an ER doc and I see how unhappy many of the providers are, who do work in the hospital 4) for me dentistry is a better lifestyle, your working in an office 4 days a week and you dont have to deal with a bunch of *******s with MBA's telling you how to do your job..I am not saying all physicians will work in hospitals but many do..

But wait, remember how many lives you're saving by placing dentures.

This is so arrogant. Dentists save way more lives than you realize because no one dies of tooth abscesses like they used to. I've seen someone die of a tooth abscess (first person I'd ever seen die), and let me tell you, I developed a whole new respect for dentistry.

You know who saves more lives than physicians? People who build sewage systems. People who run water treatment plants. Farmers. Cell phone companies. Garbage collectors probably save more lives than some dermatologists.

And even if they didn't save lives, how does that make their job any less meaningful than yours? Every job is important. Physicians wouldn't be able to practice medicine if it weren't for the people who built the hospital or designed the equipment or managed the electric company or packaged our food into cans so we don't have to spend time growing our own beans.

Reactions: 1 user
HAHA no actually I applied to med school and dental school.. both of my parents are physicians. My dad is an ER physician and my mom is a urologist. 1) I scored a 37S on my MCAT and was accepted into several MD programs, and no my GPA wasn't ****ty when I graduated I had a 3.75 2) I want to be an OMFS, and dental is the best route to go to do this 3) I work in a hospital and my roommate is an ER doc and I see how unhappy many of the providers are, who do work in the hospital 4) for me dentistry is a better lifestyle, your working in an office 4 days a week and you dont have to deal with a bunch of *******s with MBA's telling you how to do your job..I am not saying all physicians will work in hospitals but many do..
Cool.

Dentist's*

You are welcome, Emily.

Also, Emily, from your crusty curmudgeon-like demeanor, it appears that you need a man that can treat all your womanly needs. Lay off the books and stop being a sourpuss because the flower is withering, Emily. Find some guy to pump some life back into it.

(By the way, you have a witty name.)

Last edited:
This is so arrogant. Dentists save way more lives than you realize because no one dies of tooth abscesses like they used to. I've seen someone die of a tooth abscess (first person I'd ever seen die), and let me tell you, I developed a whole new respect for dentistry.

You know who saves more lives than physicians? People who build sewage systems. People who run water treatment plants. Farmers. Cell phone companies. Garbage collectors probably save more lives than some dermatologists.

And even if they didn't save lives, how does that make their job any less meaningful than yours? Every job is important. Physicians wouldn't be able to practice medicine if it weren't for the people who built the hospital or designed the equipment or managed the electric company or packaged our food into cans so we don't have to spend time growing our own beans.
Cool story. Am I getting to you? If so, good. 8)

Cool story. Am I getting to you? If so, good. 8)

I see what you are doing. You start off serious and say a lot of stupid things. Now, when being called out on them, you are pretending like you MEANT to say stupid things for the sake of being a troll and getting a rise.

I'm not fooled.

Dentist's*

You are welcome, Emily.

Also, Emily, from your crusty curmudgeon-like demeanor, it appears that you need a man that can treat all your womanly needs. Lay off the books and stop being a sourpuss because the flower is withering, Emily. Find some guy to pump some life back into it.

(By the way, you have a witty name.)
Well thank you. Specially for not adding a rude uncalled for statement to the correction.

I see what you are doing. You start off serious and say a lot of stupid things. Now, when being called out on them, you are pretending like you MEANT to say stupid things for the sake of being a troll and getting a rise.

I'm not fooled.
Only took you a few hours or so to figure that out? I'm impressed. Better than the rest of these people on here. You might actually have a future in allopathy, osteopathy, dentistry, audiology, optometry, pharmacy, podiatry, psychology, veterinary, rehab sci, or whatever you are on here for.

I have to find some place to release daily crap build up in actual life from school. Love how most of you all take everything so seriously.

Only took you a few hours or so to figure that out? I'm impressed. Better than the rest of these people on here. You might actually have a future in allopathy, osteopathy, dentistry, audiology, optometry, pharmacy, podiatry, psychology, veterinary, rehab sci, or whatever you are on here for.

I have to find some place to release daily crap build up in actual life from school. Love how most of you all take everything so seriously.

You're awful.

You don't have very good reading comprehension, do you? Go back and re-read what I wrote.

That said, I for one am done with this thread.

You don't have very good reading comprehension, do you? Go back and re-read what I wrote.

That said, I for one am done with this thread.
Cool, wasn't really caring from the start. And now I am not caring at all. And all the time you wasted out of your life to just write your posts back at me, they really mean't nothing at all. What an astonishing accomplishment, eh? Not really looking forward for any of your replies in the future either. BUT if you do, I will be there just waiting to reply back.

Take care Dr. Dough Boy.

P.S. I am actually a medical student.

Yet I don't believe you are a medical student, because you can't even spell out "laughing out loud" as the full thing! You see what I did there? I just gave you a pointless reason why you may not be a medical student, like you did to me.
It was in quotes when I wrote it. You're kinda bad at this, aren't you?

Yes, you're ignorant. Get a dildo to release your crap, maybe some Vagisil too.

19741698.jpg

Its like watching monkeys throwing feces at each other. Emily you sound like a total imbecile. Ever since you said dental school is three years in your first post that sparked a light bulb in my head that you are a *****. Then when you stated that the hygienist in your family can do what a Dentist can do just proved this thought correct. And trust me your degree does not grant you the ability to be a executively rational, fiscally responsible and intelligent human being.

I actually transferred from dental school! Haha, did you get that? Basically called dental students dumb. Anywho I actually didn't transferred, because I felt that if I didn't correct it, you might actually thought I did transfer from a dental school! And I am just sharing my opinions, I am sorry if you don't like them. But if you are pointing out that if you think "medical students" are getting dumber, then wouldn't that be calling yourself dumb, or any other medical student dumb?

this post is almost unreadable.....
I bet all the pre-meds have their fingers crossed that she actually is a med student somewhere (non-carib) because if so, it would appear entry requirements have suddenly laxed :laugh: *ahem* "laugh out loud"

969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg

To the last two replies of this thread: Still not giving ****.

It was in quotes when I wrote it. You're kinda bad at this, aren't you?
Actually I will admit that! It's funny because before I found SDN I had a life, and didn't have to come up with sh*tty combacks. Mainly because not everyone in actual life has to take things so seriously.

Funny how "not giving ****" translates into frantically pretending to be on top of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.