If I wanted to do it for the money, I would have become a dentist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all nice but give me a breakdown of a non-surgical primary care specialty. That is what is most comparable to optometry. Or better yet the break down per hour. What's family medicine at? $50 an hour? Internal Medicine $60?

Members don't see this ad.

That's all nice but give me a breakdown of a non-surgical primary care specialty. That is what is most comparable to optometry. Or better yet the break down per hour. What's family medicine at? $50 an hour? Internal Medicine $60?
U MAD BRO? I'll be making double your salary. As soon as you finish your optometry school I will bet you will make less than 100k a year, I will be making over 100k.

Also can I ask what you mean by government slave? I can be my own CEO.

Just trolllinn

U MAD BRO? I'll be making double your salary. As soon as you finish your optometry school I will bet you will make less than 100k a year, I will be making over 100k.

Just trolllinn

how are you not banned yet?

Members don't see this ad :)

Just trolllinn

I'll probably be making way less than $100,000 since I'll take out a $50,000 practice loan and first year out you usually only take home like $65,000 or so. But year 2 $80,000, 3 - $100,000 4 - $120,000 5 - $140,000 and so on until you cap at around $175,000 or a little more if you are savvy. O yea and my total educational loans will be $50,000 or less :) So total loans once I finish OD school and setup my own practice should be around $100,000. That's not so bad.

Same reason why I'm not banned probably :D

no..... I think you're not banned for the same reason I'm not banned (whatever that may be), but the direct antagonistic crap that ms. wit brings to the table is usually quick grounds for removal.

I'll probably be making way less than $100,000 since I'll take out a $50,000 practice loan and first year out you usually only take home like $65,000 or so. But year 2 $80,000, 3 - $100,000 4 - $120,000 5 - $140,000 and so on until you cap at around $175,000 or a little more if you are savvy. O yea and my total educational loans will be $50,000 or less :) So total loans once I finish OD school and setup my own practice should be around $100,000. That's not so bad.

the figures I've seen puts 175 somewhere in the top 15 or 10th percentile..... you do realize that not everyone can be top 10%, right?

I'm massively grateful for my optometrist and dentist.

Also this thread needs to be locked.

I'm massively grateful for my optometrist and dentist.

Also this thread needs to be locked.

because why, exactly?
It seems that some people on SDN call for thread lock whenever the people involved in conversation are not overtly tickling each other with flowers and randomly interjecting compliments :rolleyes:
TOS are not being violated, so why does it need to be locked?

the figures I've seen puts 175 somewhere in the top 15 or 10th percentile..... you do realize that not everyone can be top 10%, right?

I'm talking about 175k being the average net revenue for self-employed optometrists in 2007. It used to be on bls.gov but they took it down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I see, we are distracting Zaius.......

threadlocker.jpg

because why, exactly?
It seems that some people on SDN call for thread lock whenever the people involved in conversation are not overtly tickling each other with flowers and randomly interjecting compliments :rolleyes:
TOS are not being violated, so why does it need to be locked?

Because I started reading it and felt my IQ beginning to plummet.

That's why.

Also I don't know why they have our profession as growing 33% in the next 10 years. Does that mean that 33% more optometrists are being produced or there will be 33% more jobs? We seem to be the fastest growing profession with such a high income. The only thing that comes close to us are Biomedical Engineers at a projected growth rate of 61.7% over the next 10 years and their median annual wage is $81,540.

Also I don't know why they have our profession as growing 33% in the next 10 years. Does that mean that 33% more optometrists are being produced or there will be 33% more jobs?

It will most likely be jobs. Such sites do not look at number of people produced because they compare all sorts of professions and vocations. It isnt like we are producing a specific number of cashiers every year. The only reasonable thing I can come up with is that they are implying 33% more jobs.

It will most likely be jobs. Such sites do not look at number of people produced because they compare all sorts of professions and vocations. It isnt like we are producing a specific number of cashiers every year. The only reasonable thing I can come up with is that they are implying 33% more jobs.

:D sounds good to me. Time to whip out the scope of practice maps, Medicare OD pay increase and Kentucky OD surgery legislation articles :p

Ok this thread is dying...

What a stupid argument to begin with...We all know dentists are smarter than physicians

Don't forget podiatrists, they are at the top of the "smarter than their MD-counterparts" pyramid.

lol with a 23 MCAT average and 3.2 average GPA while making $118,030 per year its not a bad racket.

IIIIIIIIIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmm back.

According to salary.com a podiatrist can make $88,099.00 - $306,433.00 a year.

Also according to salary.com a optometrist can make anywhere from $90,275.00 - $146,060.00 a year.

So that person with a 23 MCAT average and 3.2 average GPA that chooses podiatry, will most likely be making more money than your sorry ass! :D

Ok this thread is dying...

What a stupid argument to begin with...We all know dentists are smarter than physicians
STFU and get back to your dental forums.

IIIIIIIIIIII'mmmmmmmmmmmm back.

According to salary.com a podiatrist can make $88,099.00 - $306,433.00 a year.

Also according to salary.com a optometrist can make anywhere from $90,275.00 - $146,060.00

So that person with a 23 MCAT average and 3.2 average GPA that chooses podiatry, will most likely be making more money than your sorry ass! :D

Podiatry student^^^

Podiatry student^^^
salary.com also shares:

Family Physician: $139,166.00 - $224,539.00

General Dentist: $114,332.00 - $190,798.00

Med Student.. I like more options than just feet.

salary.com also shares:

I hope you know salary.com is a horrible reference for professional salaries they are usually pretty far off

I hope you know salary.com is a horrible reference for professional salaries they are usually pretty far off
Really? Because I thought they were one of the leading job information websites out there? I smell jealously in the air. You should have gone into urology like your mom?

u%20mad%20bro.jpg

salary.com also shares:

You must be a future proctologist then..working on what your best at

Ya bls.gov is better. That's where I get all my figures.

Her next research paper is on urologic mastication.

Ya bls.gov is better. That's where I get all my figures.
Also seems to me you do a lot of ass kissing from reading your posts on this thread. Just like most dentists do.

Also seems to me you do a lot of ass kissing from reading your posts on this thread. Just like most dentists do.
are you getting our names mixed up ?? His mom isn't a urologist and hes not a dental student...

The problem with SDN is that any street peddler can make an account here, say that they are a med student and post here.

The problem with SDN is that any street peddler can make an account here, say that they are a med student and post here.
Yup, same thing with optometry students. How do I actually know you are one?

never mind, nobody actually wants to be one.

Thank you for admitting you were wrong..I hate you a little less :D

hate is such a strong word.....

She (or he? we havent ruled out a 40 year old man pretending to be a young woman with crazy bags under her eyes) is just someone who gets some personal validation by trolling the internet.

Emily,
I can say that the dental students at my school are much more likely to actually talk about the amount of money they'll make per procedure and how their work speed affects this, while only my closer medical student friends in certain company would ever talk about the equivalent.

So I've concluded based on this limited experience that it's more socially acceptable for a dental student to talk about the money they'll be making. If a dentist is in it for the money, oh well. If an M.D./D.O. is only in it for the money and also has questionable ethics, bad things can happen (an unnecessary root canal doesn't have the same potential for damage as an unnecessary heart cath).

You took a lot of heat about that 3 year dental school mix-up, you should have claimed a mistype on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.