If I withdraw now, will it look bad if I retake my courses later on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nypredent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a freshman and last semester I had to withdraw from a course due to poor performance and am currently retaking it and doing fine with two exams down and three to go. Now, I feel as though I have with withdraw from another course in addition to its lab because after doing the math, it would take receiving 100 on all my exams in both classes only to receive a B-/B. I am thinking of withdrawing from the class and ultimately taking a semester off from pre-health to figure out if it's what I really want to do, however, will it negatively impact me if I have a total of 3 W's on my transcript and decide to continue pre-health a year from now or so?

Basically, if I withdraw and eventually retake the class and its lab, it is going to look (horrible)? I ultimately believe I am taking a semester off to rebuild my freshman year GPA but don't know if my current decisions will have consequences in the future...
Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Try doing P/NC, it looks less worse than a W. If the deadline passed for P/NC then you should withdraw. Just make sure when you take it again you get at least an A- anything less wont look good. An A for a course you previously had a W for wont hurt you, theyll think you had a good reason to withdraw. Having an A and W for course looks a heck of a lot better than getting a B- or worse for said course. In the future try to avoid "W"s and only do it if you absolutely have to, take smaller course loads if you need to.