If Plan A doesn't work out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kkshake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to create a plan for if I don't get accepted into medical school (MD or DO) this cycle

I'm not going to give up after one cycle....

I was wondering how many research hours and/or clinical hours do you think it would take to be noticeable if your MCAT is only average?

I was thinking that on top of what I have already done, I could spend my summer doing research, and either

continue my clinical work in phlebotomy (donation center w/ ~2500 hours already),

work in doctor's office

or consider doing an EMT route for a year

(I'm not sure which would stand out the best)

(Of course, if I don't get accepted I will consider retaking the MCAT, but you can't make that great of a plan with what you hope your future score will be, only with what you know you have. I have taken the MCAT twice, 1st attempt was 492, second attempt was 500.)

If I don't get accepted after a second year of trying, I will move on to plan B = P.A.

Members don't see this ad.

If your plan B is PA, then you need to go all out in getting a year of full-time work experience in a serious, hands-on clinical job. EMT-B would be a good choice. Phlebotomy would be less impressive, I think, as there is far less need to think on one's feet.

With your MCAT, you are not a great candidate for MD but might be okay for PA.

1) stop thinking like a pre-med. it's not quantity of research hours, but quality, and that means productivity. But even a first author Cell and Science paper won't help you with MCAT scores like yours. You're in the risk zone for failing out of med school, and or failing Boards.

2) re-take the MCAT and ace it this time, but only after you fix your deficits.

3) Your Plan B needs to be something other than med schools. DPM, maybe?

I want to create a plan for if I don't get accepted into medical school (MD or DO) this cycle

I'm not going to give up after one cycle....

I was wondering how many research hours and/or clinical hours do you think it would take to be noticeable if your MCAT is only average?

I was thinking that on top of what I have already done, I could spend my summer doing research, and either

continue my clinical work in phlebotomy (donation center w/ ~2500 hours already),

work in doctor's office

or consider doing an EMT route for a year

(I'm not sure which would stand out the best)

(Of course, if I don't get accepted I will consider retaking the MCAT, but you can't make that great of a plan with what you hope your future score will be, only with what you know you have. I have taken the MCAT twice, 1st attempt was 492, second attempt was 500.)

If I don't get accepted after a second year of trying, I will move on to plan B = P.A.