If You Could Do it Again....Would You?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i am thankful for what i learned about myself.

however, pharmacy focusses on so many things beyond the scope of practice. how often do you write a SOAP note in pharmacy? NEVER. You are not trained nor allowed to do physical exams. You must rely on other people's examinations. Pharmacy will sit and talk about name badges, pressed white coats, and nonstop about how to be professional. They consider this such a cornerstone of the profression; yet they fail to look at the big picture and the actual work involved. This is where pharmacy education fails students in school. The students are learning so much material that has little practicality in any area of pharmacy.

Pharmacy has not really progressed (esp clinically). If you look at clinical pharmacy in the 80s and now, you will see not much has changed. Pharmacy pushses this MTM junk down your throats, it won't go anywhere.

You basically get paid decent (not great) to verify and check other people's decisions. With that being said, you do not have any income generating capability, always an employee of someone else.

Residencies are not what people try to sell. Take everything people say with a grain of salt because many are drinking the pharmacy kool-aid. I don't see how pharmacy will sustain itself. With the number of schools opening and the less than adequate graduates and mandatory pharmd, it has really cheapened the degree and has lost its luster.

i would not do pharmacy again. like i said, i am happy for what i learned about myself, my own capabilities, friends i made, etc etc. i would not do it again, unless the pay was significantly better than it is now.

100k before taxes and deductions
be married with a kid
take home pay MAX 50K

factor in mortage, home insurance, gas, food, education, clothing, car, car insurance, heating & electric bills, you will have NOTHING LEFT OVER.

What makes things worse is you are in a "higher income level" so your kids when they go to college will not get good financial aid.
 
PharmaTope, all your posts are so depressing. We get it- you're unhappy with your choice. But many of us are happy with our decision to pursue pharmacy. And so are many (if not most) of the pharmacists I have worked with over the years. Maybe you haven't been exposed to all the areas of pharmacy- I don't know. But, in some places, pharmacists can do a heck of a lot more than you think. There is a lot of versatility with a PharmD degree. Quit raining on everyone's parade. Or just create a standard response for every thread you post in. Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V. 😉

*ducks*
 
Last edited:
NreBs.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i am thankful for what i learned about myself.

however, pharmacy focusses on so many things beyond the scope of practice. how often do you write a SOAP note in pharmacy? NEVER. You are not trained nor allowed to do physical exams. You must rely on other people's examinations. Pharmacy will sit and talk about name badges, pressed white coats, and nonstop about how to be professional. They consider this such a cornerstone of the profression; yet they fail to look at the big picture and the actual work involved. This is where pharmacy education fails students in school. The students are learning so much material that has little practicality in any area of pharmacy.

I saw SOAP notes written by pharmacists on several rotations in hospitals. We don't write them in charts where I am now, but it does offer a systematic format for working up and evaluating a patient.

I do get to play a role in deciding what medications a patient gets. If a pharmacist attends rounds, they can help determine patients' care instead of just fixing problems.
 
I saw SOAP notes written by pharmacists on several rotations in hospitals. We don't write them in charts where I am now, but it does offer a systematic format for working up and evaluating a patient.

I do get to play a role in deciding what medications a patient gets. If a pharmacist attends rounds, they can help determine patients' care instead of just fixing problems.

While you may "recommend" so and so, the ultimate decision is up to the physicians, and other practitioners (NP,PA). Remember that even though you have a PharmD, that doesn't mean you will fully understand nor having the capacity of evaluating patient's medical condition. You are not trained to do so, and never will be. As a result of this, don't get surprised when your recommendation is being ignored or neglected.
 
While you may "recommend" so and so, the ultimate decision is up to the physicians, and other practitioners (NP,PA). Remember that even though you have a PharmD, that doesn't mean you will fully understand nor having the capacity of evaluating patient's medical condition. You are not trained to do so, and never will be. As a result of this, don't get surprised when your recommendation is being ignored or neglected.

I know that it is not my job to evaluate the patient's medical condition. I don't try to do this. But I can work with doctors and be a part of the discussion about what the best plan for a patient is, and this is what I do. I also provide information about medications to the doctors and nurses. I don't think that pharmacists should be the ones performing exams, diagnosing, or even making the final decision about care because we aren't trained to do so. But we can play a role in deciding what medications a patient gets by providing information about medications and what we feel would be best.
 
While you may "recommend" so and so, the ultimate decision is up to the physicians, and other practitioners (NP,PA). Remember that even though you have a PharmD, that doesn't mean you will fully understand nor having the capacity of evaluating patient's medical condition. You are not trained to do so, and never will be. As a result of this, don't get surprised when your recommendation is being ignored or neglected.

Yeah, we heard you before. Move on.
 
As I sit in class waiting for our Immunology class to begin with 4.5 hours of sleep last night, and 6 hours the 2 nights before that, I want to say heck no.

But I enjoy learning, even though it's stressful at times and I enjoy my profession and am looking forward to getting my intern license.
 
Yeah, we heard you before. Move on.

don't hate the player, hate the game...please. If you want your voice listened, go back to school and become MD, or PA or NP. Period. As long as I am concerned, you are the expert in drugs. True that, however, a human life is involved in everything, not just drugs. And it takes a proper medical training in years to learn it right. It's quite common but annoyed that everytime physicians open the chart, they see a note from pharmacy like this "Clonidine interacts with Lopressor. Recommend to taper off slowly", or "Digoxin interacts with Coumadin..." blah blah blah. Yes, we all know that...but would you dare to discontinue those meds? Of course , not. You can't just copy information in a book and throw it into real life like that. It doesn't work that way.
 
Yes. I'd do it all over again. And exactly the same way. The economy and the job market bites right now. People...ADAPT!!! Change will run you over if you yield to its force. Stop whining.

There is still a lot of opportunity out there for Pharm.D.s, the only difference is now you have to work harder and be smart and creative. Work multiple internships, meet people, make connections. WORK!

I think it could bear well for some of us, especially those of us who have business ambitions! 🙂

Like my friend Industry said, if you can make it as an independent in the pharmacy world, you can do quite well. That's not to say it's easy, however.

why don't you ask the district manages and supervisors of your local chain stores how many independent stores do they buy every month! You can go bankrupt over night with healthcare changes/insurance changes. Good luck buddy! my friend's store had to pay 21 cents to the customer per priscription due to insurance changes, so he was losing 21 cents/rx!
 
... As a result of this, don't get surprised when your recommendation is being ignored or neglected.

You know, I have not really seen that happen. Doctors almost always take my pharmacists' recommendations, and when they do not, they explain why not/solicit feedback. I have never seen my pharmacists provide a recommendation and the physician just ignore it. Why would they?
 
From what I have heard with some friends in medical school, pharmacology is the subject that many students enjoy the least and/or don't keep up with the most. They say that doctors in the field know about classes of medicines, when a new class of drug comes out that is big, and that's about it. Pradexa was a big one for the doctors but they don't spend as much time reading up on medicines as they do reading up on new diagnosis/disease/skillsets for their specialty.

Any med student care to add/correct this? Was pharmacology something you didn't like compared to more of the other classes you had to take?

It would make sense then to have someone specialize in this field since doctors have to catch up on so much more with how to diagnose and new procedures and the like coming out all the time. Apparently a good portion of what you learn in medical school is obsolete within 5-10 years of graduating. Or it was...
 
You know, I have not really seen that happen. Doctors almost always take my pharmacists' recommendations, and when they do not, they explain why not/solicit feedback. I have never seen my pharmacists provide a recommendation and the physician just ignore it. Why would they?

new grad/medical residents will sure read your notes because lack of experiences....but not when they are mature and knowledgeable enough, they will either toss your recommendation sheets away or just leave it there for the heck of it and doing nothing about it. Whatever they do, same is the outcome.
 
don't hate the player, hate the game...please. If you want your voice listened, go back to school and become MD, or PA or NP. Period. As long as I am concerned, you are the expert in drugs. True that, however, a human life is involved in everything, not just drugs. And it takes a proper medical training in years to learn it right. It's quite common but annoyed that everytime physicians open the chart, they see a note from pharmacy like this "Clonidine interacts with Lopressor. Recommend to taper off slowly", or "Digoxin interacts with Coumadin..." blah blah blah. Yes, we all know that...but would you dare to discontinue those meds? Of course , not. You can't just copy information in a book and throw it into real life like that. It doesn't work that way.

Of course you would be ignored if you just state that something should be done without considering the actual patient. If a pharmacist is simply reciting things out of a book and suggesting that a medication be discontinued every time there is a potential interaction, they should be ignored. Simply leaving notes isn't a good way to practice pharmacy either. If you actually speak to the prescriber, you can (briefly) explain why you're making a recommendation. They can tell you what their goals are and their reasoning for making their choices. Simply saying to do something is annoying and won't get anywhere.
 
Of course you would be ignored if you just state that something should be done without considering the actual patient. If a pharmacist is simply reciting things out of a book and suggesting that a medication be discontinued every time there is a potential interaction, they should be ignored. Simply leaving notes isn't a good way to practice pharmacy either. If you actually speak to the prescriber, you can (briefly) explain why you're making a recommendation. They can tell you what their goals are and their reasoning for making their choices. Simply saying to do something is annoying and won't get anywhere.

I imagine that the pharmacist really shines the most when the therapy is very fickle. Multiple disease states, immunological disorders, etc. where the right therapy might affect quality of life in the hospital or more.

My pharmacist during rotations said that in the hospital he worked out, most doctors mainly asked if levaquin was sufficient to treat something. He said the answer was usually no.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Of course you would be ignored if you just state that something should be done without considering the actual patient. If a pharmacist is simply reciting things out of a book and suggesting that a medication be discontinued every time there is a potential interaction, they should be ignored. Simply leaving notes isn't a good way to practice pharmacy either. If you actually speak to the prescriber, you can (briefly) explain why you're making a recommendation. They can tell you what their goals are and their reasoning for making their choices. Simply saying to do something is annoying and won't get anywhere.

I think you hit the nail on the head. If something is important enough to bring to the doctor's attention, more than a note is probably called for. If it's not important enough to speak to the doctor personally, it probably isn't important enough to leave a note for either.

I don't know about this whole idea of pharmacists being ignored or whatever - both at CVS and the hospital I have seen countless times that a pharmacist has consulted with physicians and been treated with respect. Sure plenty of times the recommendations are not followed, but that doesn't mean they were ignored - the physician simply had a reason for doing things a particular way and explained that to the pharmacist.
 
don't hate the player, hate the game...please. If you want your voice listened, go back to school and become MD, or PA or NP. Period. As long as I am concerned, you are the expert in drugs. True that, however, a human life is involved in everything, not just drugs. And it takes a proper medical training in years to learn it right. It's quite common but annoyed that everytime physicians open the chart, they see a note from pharmacy like this "Clonidine interacts with Lopressor. Recommend to taper off slowly", or "Digoxin interacts with Coumadin..." blah blah blah. Yes, we all know that...but would you dare to discontinue those meds? Of course , not. You can't just copy information in a book and throw it into real life like that. It doesn't work that way.

But digoxin doesn't have a clinically significant intxn /w warfarin . . .
 
In my second year of pharmacy school and I feel the same as everyone else. Knowing What I Know now, I wouldn't do it over again but I wouldn't not have done it once either.
 
Im a second year pharmacy student and I will be applying to medical school next year so that I can jump right in after I graduate.

I think pharmacy is a great field and if my MCATs arent up to par or if anything else doesnt work out I will be quite satisfied remaining a pharmacist. I just realized one day that if I dont try and become a doctor I will regret it for the rest of my life. So I will give it my all and see what happens.
 
Im a second year pharmacy student and I will be applying to medical school next year so that I can jump right in after I graduate.

I think pharmacy is a great field and if my MCATs arent up to par or if anything else doesnt work out I will be quite satisfied remaining a pharmacist. I just realized one day that if I dont try and become a doctor I will regret it for the rest of my life. So I will give it my all and see what happens.

Just curious as to why you're even finishing pharmacy school? Do you think most med schools won't take you if you "drop out" and don't complete the program?
 
Depending on how far he/she is in, I'd do the same thing. I mean, if you're already 60k in debt, I'd rather finish and have the option to work as a pharmacist than go into med school right away considering you might not get in or some other unforeseeable problem might arise while you still have 60k on the books.
 
I'm not sure if I would do it again. I know I hate pharmacy school, but I'm hoping it will be different when I'm an actual pharmacists. If I could drop out without having any debt though, I'd probably quit.
 
If I end up being "stuck" in retail for the rest of my career, then I would not do pharmacy again. I've been trying to get a hospital job, but all the hospitals here require at least 2-3 years hospital experience as a pharmacist, which I don't have since I'm a new grad. I regret not applying for a residency as well...
 
I would do it again. Through my rotations I have been introduced into a niche area of pharmacy I really enjoy.

Looking back, I am going in a completely different direction than I planned when I started pharmacy school but that is all part of the experience. There have been some bumps in the road and times when I wanted to quit but as graduation approaches...I am happy with my decision to become a pharmacist.👍

Most likely this is going to be your job/career for the next 20-40 years. It is crucial to set a good foundation through additional training and networking if you want to make the most out of your career and stand out amongst your peers.
 
I know people that make 50K that sound like they live better than you do, PharmaTope. Maybe you're doing it wrong?