If you could get into any 3 DO schools.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nsu, pcom-ga, unecom

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM, DMU, KCUMB

My SO needs to live in a medium - bigger city for his work, or else KCOM would be up there too. He's an ASL interpreter, so not much work for him a in town of 15k people I'm thinking

I'm not trying to be hating at all, I'm just surprised to see a lot of LECOM in this thread. I don't know much about LECOM, I just know my pre-med advisor doesn't think too highly of the school. Can anyone share why they are interested in any of the LECOMs?

I'm not trying to be hating at all, I'm just surprised to see a lot of LECOM in this thread. I don't know much about LECOM, I just know my pre-med advisor doesn't think too highly of the school. Can anyone share why they are interested in any of the LECOMs?
Its dirt cheap 28,000/yr compared to most private DO schools (45,000+), and LECOM-B is in bradenton florida which is a good location. I kinda wanted to get out of florida but allot of my friends went there and are very happy. (Im a USF graduate).

Its dirt cheap 28,000/yr compared to most private DO schools (45,000+), and LECOM-B is in bradenton florida which is a good location. I kinda wanted to get out of florida but allot of my friends went there and are very happy. (Im a USF graduate).

Thats true, I forgot about the cheap tuition. Maybe I'm weird because tuition is fairly low on my priority list. My top priorities in a school are established rotations and chances of matching into a non-PC specialty, which I don't know much about LECOM at all in that sense.

PNWU, Edward Via, Rocky Vista.

I want mountains, Gandalf

Thats true, I forgot about the cheap tuition. Maybe I'm weird because tuition is fairly low on my priority list. My top priorities in a school are established rotations and chances of matching into a non-PC specialty, which I don't know much about LECOM at all in that sense.

Tuition was low on my priority list and now I find 55k a year of tuition staring me in the face, suddenly I care. Not enough to dissuade me from attending AZCOM, but it does make me wonder if I would have given LECOM more thought, had I gotten in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just study hard for your USMLE/COMPLEX, do research and set up away rotations fourth year if thats a concern (non PC residencies). But 100,000 is a lot of money especially after the interest that accumulates.

Nova, LECOM-B, or Edward Via. Mostly Nova or LECOM-B though :D

You also have some of the more vocal DO residents on this board nearly screaming that cheaper tuition should be your only criteria for a DO school.

I have my LECOM-B interview on the 22nd and if they call me with an acceptance, they might jump up pretty high on my list. I previously had them ranked very low.

As time gets closer, I really start to wonder what a school like AZCOM has to offer for 50k a year that LECOM-B doesn't at 28k a year.

Tuition was low on my priority list and now I find 55k a year of tuition staring me in the face, suddenly I care. Not enough to dissuade me from attending AZCOM, but it does make me wonder if I would have given LECOM more thought, had I gotten in there.

Just study hard for your USMLE/COMLEX (ftfy), do research and set up away rotations fourth year if thats a concern (non PC residencies). But 100,000 is a lot of money especially after the interest that accumulates.

Deep down I know that its a lot of money. I just don't want to be a cheapskate and hate my med school experience and/or get forced into a specialty I don't want just because I tried to save some money. I know a lot of that comes from my own attitude, hard work, ect. but if paying more to go to a "better" or more established school gets me where I want to be then I really don't care about the money.

Just study hard for your USMLE/COMPLEX, do research and set up away rotations fourth year if thats a concern (non PC residencies). But 100,000 is a lot of money especially after the interest that accumulates.

This. O Grady, what does your pre-med advisor have against LECOM?

Going to a better school will probably give you a better clinical education, which will make your life easier as an intern and, potentially, make you look better on "audition" rotations. Additionally, DO schools with expansive residency programs may make it easier to match a surgical subspeciality.

However, as others have mentioned, all DO schools are lumped together when applying to Acgme programs. There are no good or bad DO schools. They are all considered the same. Consequently, it all comes down to your board scores. You could go to the best DO school and be an amazing young clinician, but if an incompetent DO from the worst school has better scores than you, you'll be **** out of luck.

Most DO schools offer a lot of electives during 4th year. If you end up at a "bad" school, just do a lot of hard rotations (ICU, general medicine, etc.) at a local university hospital during your 4th year.

Last edited:
Going to a better school will probably give you a better clinical education, which will make your life easier as an intern and, potentially, make you look better on "audition" rotations. Additionally, DO schools with expansive residency programs may make it easier to match a surgical subspeciality.

However, as others have mentioned, all DO schools are lumped together when applying to Acgme programs. There are no good or bad DO schools. They are all considered the same. Consequently, it all comes down to your board scores. You could go to the best DO school and be an amazing young clinician, but if an incompetent DO from the worst school has better scores than you, you'll be **** out of luck.

So would there be a difference in quality of education looking at LECOM-B vs PCOM vs Touro-CA etc? I need something to justify the huge difference in tuition.

So would there be a difference in quality of education looking at LECOM-B vs PCOM vs Touro-CA etc? I need something to justify the huge difference in tuition.

Probably, but maybe not. Medical education is random. You and your buddy could rotate at the same hospital for internal medicine, but your experience may be totally different than your buddy's. You may have different attendings, interns, residents, etc..some might like to teach, some won't. It's really random, so it's hard to say one school will surely be better.

I'd still pick some schools, like pcom, over most, but that's me.

This. O Grady, what does your pre-med advisor have against LECOM?

I don't really know. (Just for the record I'm not hating on LECOM) He/she has said things in the past that make it sound like its just a factory (due to the large class sizes and 3 campuses) and that they'll take anyone with a pulse, so only go there if you don't get in anywhere else. Also, am I the only one that senses that there's some general LECOM hate on SDN? If I absolutely knew that I wanted to do primary care then LECOM would be one of my top choices due to the low tuition, but for now I want to keep as many doors open as I can.

After hearing some anecdotes from LECOM students on SDN it doesn't seem bad at all, so I don't agree with what my advisor says.

Incidentally, I met a LECOM student this evening. Did very well on the COMLEX, and he spoke very highly of the PBL system they've got going on there, but did warn that with that snazzy tuition comes a relative lack of support come the time for clinical rotations, so carpe diem, but otherwise it's apparently a spiffy place.

I also take everything any pre-med advisor says with a large spoonful of salt.

I don't really know. (Just for the record I'm not hating on LECOM) He/she has said things in the past that make it sound like its just a factory (due to the large class sizes and 3 campuses) and that they'll take anyone with a pulse, so only go there if you don't get in anywhere else. Also, am I the only one that senses that there's some general LECOM hate on SDN? If I absolutely knew that I wanted to do primary care then LECOM would be one of my top choices due to the low tuition, but for now I want to keep as many doors open as I can.

After hearing some anecdotes from LECOM students on SDN it doesn't seem bad at all, so I don't agree with what my advisor says.

No worries, I know you're not hating in LECOM, and you're not the only one who senses a dislike on SDN for LECOM. A lot of people here don't like the rules (dress code, mandatory attendance, no food or even bottled water in class.) A lot of others think along the same lines as your premed advisor. They think of it as a sort of McMedSchool with its large classes, multiple campuses, etc.

The thing is, I think they get pretty good results. Great pass rates, good matches, etc. And its hard to argue with success. Like Cliquesh said, I don't think your ability to match a good specialty at a desirable location will be seriously affected by attending LECOM.

TCOM, Western and Touro.

Any US MD school, any US MD school, any US MD school.

Seriously

NYCOM, Touro NY, and NECOM. Clearly I have an area bias, would like to stay in my home state or the neighboring area

....what schools would they be?

This should be interesting. :cool:

1. NYCOM- very close to my home, I could commute.
2. PCOM- currently go to an university in Philadelphia, I am used to the area.
3. I was thinking of putting UMNDJ but I've heard it's instate favored. I wouldn't mind CCOM- I have a few friends in Chicago and have visited it a few times. I would like to be in an urban area like I am in undergrad.

Current sophomore with these stats: 3.34cgpa/3.38sgpa (lower MD science gpa however 3.1-3.2sgpa) (goal is 3.5cgpa/3.5sgpa by graduation and hopefully a 30+ MCAT). Hoping to get in either a high tier DO or a low tier MD (I live in NY and I'm a big fan of the Albany Medical College, Suny Buffalo Medical school, and Suny upstate. Mostly because the instate fees will be manageable. well not really albany but I've heard a 3.4-3.5/29 MCAT is the average of that school).

Last edited:
There must be something special about NSUCOM... Most people in here including myself have Nova in their list...

Last edited:
There must be something special about NSUCOM... Most people in here including myself have Nova in their list...

Good Match list + Florida Weather = Many applicants. Or at least it seems to make sense to me! =)

"Good Match List" = pre-med delusion to what a "good match list" is. Match lists are worthless.

I think having 90% of the students match into primary care says something about the school...and I doubt it's because 90% of their students want to do primary care.

I think having 90% of the students match into primary care says something about the school...and I doubt it's because 90% of their students want to do primary care.

90%? that would be ridiculous.

50-60% of my classmates have been interested in primary care since day one, however.

you are aware that MD schools exist that place >2/3 of their class into primary care, right?

90%? that would be ridiculous.

50-60% of my classmates have been interested in primary care since day one, however.

you are aware that MD schools exist that place >2/3 of their class into primary care, right?

He was trying to make a point about match list importance rather than giving an example

He was trying to make a point about match list importance rather than giving an example

trying to make a point using a false statistic?

in that case, my school matched 90% of the class into plastics last year, so we are the best.

case in point: yea, it would be pretty odd if 90% of a school's classes are consistently matching into primary care...but there is no such case of this existing.

however, it is very realistic for 50-60% of the class to match into primary care simply because they want to match into primary care.

KCOM, KCUMB, SOMA, NSU... Oh wait, I did get accepted to them. ;)

Last edited:
Because I'm a Texan
1.) TCOM

Because of match list and other successes of their graduates:

2.) KCUMB
3.) DMU-COM

If I were not from Texas:
1.) KCUMB
2.) DMU-COM
3.) PCOM

KCOM, KCUMB, SOMA, NSU... Oh wait, I did get accepted to them. ;)

Lol. Mine would be

1) AZCOM
2) ATSU-SOMA
3) KCOM

I was accepted to AZCOM and SOMA, rejected pre-interview from KCOM. KCOM was really competitive this last year. Congrats again on the acceptance, I probably already congratulated you before.

Lol. Mine would be

1) AZCOM
2) ATSU-SOMA
3) KCOM

I was accepted to AZCOM and SOMA, rejected pre-interview from KCOM. KCOM was really competitive this last year. Congrats again on the acceptance, I probably already congratulated you before.

Haha thanks. Really my top three were KCOM, then AZCOM, then KCUMB but AZCOM put me on a pre-interview hold and when I got accepted to other schools, I just withdrew because I didn't want to play that game.

Michigan state. Football, basketball, one of the largest universities in the nation, ~40 hospitals in the state system, don't have to explain what your school is.

Haha thanks. Really my top three were KCOM, then AZCOM, then KCUMB but AZCOM put me on a pre-interview hold and when I got accepted to other schools, I just withdrew because I didn't want to play that game.

Whats funny about that is that looking at your MDApps, your stats are almost identical to mine. You got put on hold at AZCOM, I got accepted. I was rejected from KCUMB and KCOM and you got in.

Anyone who says this isn'ta crap shoot is clueless.

Whats funny about that is that looking at your MDApps, your stats are almost identical to mine. You got put on hold at AZCOM, I got accepted. I was rejected from KCUMB and KCOM and you got in.

Anyone who says this isn'ta crap shoot is clueless.

the only thing that's consistently accurate