If you could have a 4.0 from anywhere...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Vincinnes University, (a.k.a. "The Two Year University) :laugh: :smuggrin: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Biomedical Engineering at Northwestern University.

Not that it would necessarily be worth the most, but because I know exactly how hard it is.

Something like 500 students enter NU's engineering school each year and initially more than 75% say they're BME. About ~250 people make it in tech, and less than 50 actually graduate BME. Usually considered one of the toughest majors, and students are considered amongst the best and brightest on campus, avg gpa for BME ~2.8. hurts to know classmates a lot smarter and more capable than me won't become doctors. i consider myself lucky. yeah, sucks. oh well, learned a lot.

one way to make up for overall grade inflation is to have grade deflation in certain areas.

OK, OK, I know, I know, everyone's school is hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pulling a 4.0 at Tufts is exceedingly difficult. With all the inflation at nearby Harvard, they try extra hard to combat it. In fact, this could be said of any of the little ivy's.

hahaha good joke

Princeton, their honors o-chem is by far the hardest in the world...

MIT or Caltech if I was an engineer, and I would take a 4.0 in biochem at UW, because 0 or 1 people graduate with it every year...same with Chem E

Speaking of bad logic, I think you all have it wrong....

If you have a 4.0, you don't need a top school to give you credentials - your phatty 4-point will do that for you.

If I were were to pick a school & a guaranteed 4.0, I'd go with a huge party school where I can have tons of fun - maybe I'd even remember some of it when it was all over. (Doesn't anyone in this thread think of college as a chance to have a good time?!?) :scared:

So... maybe Florida State, Arizona State (any good weather, party school) possible UW Madison...

Come on SDNers, live a little!!! :laugh:

Also why I chose UW Madison...because it is a requirement to be drunk here, and you can't get the 4 without it. For those reasons, I would pick ASU, I hear it is the same as Madison....but a lot warmer :thumbup:

Probably Swarthmore, or maybe U Chicago.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone graduating from either of those schools with a 4.0.... :eek:

Johns Hopkins is a WAR ZONE. I can imagine Berkeley, Chicago, and Cornell being hell as well.

BubbleBobble said:
Probably Swarthmore, or maybe U Chicago.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone graduating from either of those schools with a 4.0.... :eek:
I think if you're going to follow up those last two "don't be a complete tool" posts (by adamj & me) then you should at least mention the popularity of the local microbrewery or the quality of the pre-game tailgating if you don't want to look like a big geek...! :D :D

... at least omit mention your discussions of the highest GPAs you heard about from various schools...! :p

Just kidding, of course. I think I remember reading somewhere that in 2001 Swarthmore sported the highest keg stand participation per capita of any school surveyed... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
SailCrazy said:
I think if you're going to follow up those last two "don't be a complete tool" posts (by adamj & me) then you should at least mention the popularity of the local microbrewery or the quality of the pre-game tailgating if you don't want to look like a big geek...! :D :D

... at least omit mention your discussions of the highest GPAs you heard about from various schools...! :p

Just kidding, of course. I think I remember reading somewhere that in 2001 Swarthmore sported the highest keg stand participation per capita of any school surveyed... :thumbup:

I...uh...actually didn't read all the posts. Just wanted to give my two cents, risking the fact that they might be used, old, and discarded cents. :D

i'll throw in another one for northwestern

it's no secret at nu that half the pre-meds flock to harvard over the summer to take bio and/or orgo so they can get A's and avoid getting a freakin B or 2 at northwestern. :thumbup:

Hmm. I'd have to vote with the "my school!" crowd. (MIT.)

It doesn't seem impossible to pull a 5.0...many people do, and they don't count off for A- like most schools. Still, guaranteed grades = more time = hide the power tools, erm, I mean frat parties.

I also wouldn't mind a 4.0 from Caltech or Harvard. No Princeton for me...I'm not a special admit, so I'd have nobody to relate to. And I'd get shot at Hopkins :p

Sunflower189 said:
Hmm. I'd have to vote with the "my school!" crowd. (MIT.)

It doesn't seem impossible to pull a 5.0...many people do, and they don't count off for A- like most schools. Still, guaranteed grades = more time = hide the power tools, erm, I mean frat parties.

I also wouldn't mind a 4.0 from Caltech or Harvard. No Princeton for me...I'm not a special admit, so I'd have nobody to relate to. And I'd get shot at Hopkins :p

Glad to see MIT (my recent alma mater) is getting respect from this thread!! It's true that modifiers don't count in our GPA's, therefore A-'s become very valued and B+'s suck MAJORLY. A friend of mine pulled a 5.0 (perfect MIT gpa) and is going to Hollywood Upstairs for med school. She's awesome! Go beavers (our mascot)!

No Egrets said:
Go beavers (our mascot)!

Haha, I read that somewhere, I think in an article about that pitcher who is close to making the major leagues and would be the first MIT grad ever to do so. "Nature's engineers" That is so corny and funny to me. Great mascot choice.

samurai_lincoln said:
That was quite possible the most logically inept, yet still filled with $20 words, post I have ever seen. You are basing your theory on the assumption that science classes at all schools have essentially the same median GPA, which is complete hogwash. Using latin phrases like "de facto" does not make your claim any more correct. :rolleyes:

Hogwash is such a great word :)

Oh yeah, I want a 4.0 from Northwestern. It's hard.

After watching my brilliant boyfriends gpa take a beating, I'd definitely have to go with Cornell.

I'd settle for a 4.0 from my current school :p

jeanslee said:
HANDS DOWN COMPUTER SCIENCE AT COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY.

i say this cuz i went there with that damn major.

i'm sure columbia is not the hardest school out there, but the computer science department is merciless!

Computer science at any school, even craphole U.
I would consider a 4.0 anywhere as a personal truimph if I were studying CS.

I think Cornell has been the big upset of this thread so far. Great school, but I didn't think so many people would list it as #1. Northwestern too.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone who said Hopkins. Then again, I just might be a little biased. ;)

MIT in general, and definitely CornHELL depending on the major (engineering and biology take major hits...psych on the other hand...). Why does Cornell come as such a surprise? I would say Harvard raised a brow for me - not that I've attended any classes there, but it does blow me away how many people are blinded by the name. Incidentally, what are you guys basing your votes on - personal experience, or hearsay?

Yeah, see I don't have any experience with these schools so I guess I just never knew Cornell was one of the most difficult schools in the country. I still have to go with MIT or Caltech though. If you get perfect grades from there, you are seriously like Will Hunting or something.

I must say that UC Berkeley is the greatest undergrad school in the nation; minutes from SF, best weather, damn good sports teams, top dawg, 25,000 students, plenty of sorotity girls etc...I could go on. And a 4.0 from UCB in science is perhaps the most difficult in the nation.

I do however have to agree with an earlier post that the top students at any of the top tier schools, private or public, are bound to do good anwhere; the material is pretty much the same (unless you are at stanfurd or other gentleman c schools).

Haybrant said:
I must say that UC Berkeley is the greatest undergrad school in the nation; minutes from SF, best weather, damn good sports teams, top dawg, 25,000 students, plenty of sorotity girls etc...I could go on. And a 4.0 from UCB in science is perhaps the most difficult in the nation.

I do however have to agree with an earlier post that the top students at any of the top tier schools, private or public, are bound to do good anwhere; the material is pretty much the same (unless you are at stanfurd or other gentleman c schools).

Hello, I would just like to add that at UC Berkeley the computer science classes use MIT's instruction material. Everyone wants to be a beaver!

yeah score one for harvard, my alma mater :) i just graduated in june and nobody in our class graduated with a 4.0 gpa. grade inflation is just bad press :p

SailCrazy said:
Speaking of bad logic, I think you all have it wrong....

If you have a 4.0, you don't need a top school to give you credentials - your phatty 4-point will do that for you.

If I were were to pick a school & a guaranteed 4.0, I'd go with a huge party school where I can have tons of fun - maybe I'd even remember some of it when it was all over. (Doesn't anyone in this thread think of college as a chance to have a good time?!?) :scared:

So... maybe Florida State, Arizona State (any good weather, party school) possible UW Madison...

Come on SDNers, live a little!!! :laugh:

I agree. I would pick Florida State. From what I've heard, it is one of the top (if not THE top) party schools AND has some of the hottest chicks in the country. Anyone that can party, score with hot chicks, and get a 4.0 is a genius in my opinion.

mr_bertman said:
yeah score one for harvard, my alma mater :) i just graduated in june and nobody in our class graduated with a 4.0 gpa. grade inflation is just bad press :p

Really?

MIT. My girlfriend is close to genius, but she doesn't have 5.0 there. There are so many people like her and some are even smarter than her. :eek:

What about Caltech - The Calcutta Institute of Technology

Cornell and Swarthmore are both traditionally grade-deflated schools, ditto with MIT and Cal-Tech, as well as WashU and Hopkins (premed only). From what I've heard (which is not much, btw), Harvard may not be an easy 4.0, I don't really hear about many people dying because of poor grades there either. But seriously, how about Hopkins BME, especially if you're premed too? You'd be lucky to get a 3.0+, never mind a 4.0.
I would also go with University of Colorado-Boulder...alcohol, drugs, and a football rape scandal...oy, oy, what a mess :oops:)
just my $.02 :)

UVA, yo....correction on Princeton having the hardest honors o-chem. That distinction belongs to UVA - aka Chem 281. We had to do a 150 page synthesis as our final project for crying out loud! And that's in addition to the final which I had to study 7 days straight for!

I heard Cornell has the highest IVY League suicide rate? Maybe that's saying something. My friend told me that it's not a matter of whether someone will commit suicide, but rather, whether he will know them, hehe.

TheFlash said:
Definitely MIT. That school is the definition of rigor. Berk, UVa and Hopkins coming in close too.

I know at least two people just on sdn boards who have 4.0+ GPA's from Cornell. Yes, above a 4.0. I don't think Cornell is that bad. And Harvard? Bwhahahaha... you're joking right? :laugh:

I don't think UVA is even half as hard as Cornell, and definitely isn't in the same league as Hopkins.

Wow. After attending college in Montana, I'm completely amazed by some of the stuff on this thread. Intense competition and seeing classmates as enemies? Crazy. At MSU classmates were allies and getting good grades was not hard if you studied enough. I think it's possible to learn alot without being super stressed out and in my opinion state schools are the way to go. :)

katec12345 said:
I don't think UVA is even half as hard as Cornell, and definitely isn't in the same league as Hopkins.

Funny a lot of Virginians choose Uva over Cornell/Hopkins. I was one of them. Top students at Uva faces cut-throat competition.

I personally feel that UNC is a joke compared to Duke, seeing as how everyone from my HS ended up getting higher gpa's at UNC than they did in high school. Thats ~10 people too.

If I could have a 4.0 from anywhere...

I'd take it. :D

liverotcod said:
If I could have a 4.0 from anywhere...

I'd take it. :D

C'mon, it took you 2 days to come up with that punchline? :rolleyes:

Jk. :p

another point for berkeley, probably the school with the largest number of premeds who are ORMS (hence a competition that hurts your u know what)!!!

Well, I'd have to say Hopkins...I think it's pretty damn funny that the only posts that Hopkins alumni post about their undergrad on this 'studentdoctor' site is the one that talks about GPA difficulty. We definetly have the hardest school to get grades at. I have friends at Harvard and UCBerkeley and from talking to them, they don't have to go through what we went through. I guess nobody would understand if they didn't go through the 4 years we had at Johnny Hop! :laugh:

Cornell. They make you work HARD for a 4.

willthatsall said:
C'mon, it took you 2 days to come up with that punchline? :rolleyes:

Jk. :p

I finally submitted last night, so my excuse is that I've had a lot on my mind. Still, it's pretty good, right? Amazing that no one else came up with it! I'm shocked and dismayed, actually.