If you couldn't do podiatry...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRCM

DRCM
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you become if you couldn't become a podiatrist? What are your back-ups?

I'm just wondering, because I was asking myself this today... I took a practice MCAT, and I did TERRIBLE on it. This is without ANY practice and without some of the prerequisites (I still didn't take Gen Chem, O-Chem, or Bio II yet), but I was disappointed. I hope I get into podiatric school or I will be devastated.. :(. I have a 3.7 GPA, so hopefully when I do take the real MCAT after learning more and practicing for it, I'll do A LOT better. I was thinking if I didn't get into pod schools, what would I do as a backup... so now I'm asking you all.

Members don't see this ad.

if i was in your shoes I'd......

-take all the prereqs before i started studying/worrying about the mcat.

-once i had that belt of knowledge holding my pants up id take plenty of practice tests. If i was still doing poorly id take a prep course. Half the battle is simply knowing how to take a test, material aside.

Dont stress. As ya said, you WILL do better. Plus they offer the mcat like what, 20 times a year now?

Keep ya head up

What would you become if you couldn't become a podiatrist? What are your back-ups?

I'm just wondering, because I was asking myself this today... I took a practice MCAT, and I did TERRIBLE on it. This is without ANY practice and without some of the prerequisites (I still didn't take Gen Chem, O-Chem, or Bio II yet), but I was disappointed. I hope I get into podiatric school or I will be devastated.. :(. I have a 3.7 GPA, so hopefully when I do take the real MCAT after learning more and practicing for it, I'll do A LOT better. I was thinking if I didn't get into pod schools, what would I do as a backup... so now I'm asking you all.

R u serious? I don’t mean to be overly critical, but did you really think you were going to ace the MCAT without taking most of the pre-reqs and not preparing for the MCAT. Anyways, take all of your pre-reqs and actually prepare for the MCAT by studying over 200 hours on it. As far as a backup, why don’t you get a PhD in the major you are currently in?

Members don't see this ad :)

Like everyone else has told you, MCAT doesn't use high school level science courses for prep. You have to use the information gathered in university level courses for the exam.

As I recall, my bio I was classification. However, my MCAT stressed bio II's concepts.

I didn't start studying for the MCAT until I had all of those couses under my belt. Your building a shed with no hammer and nails. ;)

But to answer your question...I'd either be an undergrad anatomy teacher or something to do with animals...

Last edited:
i know i wasn't going to do too well on the practice MCAT, but i thought i would get a better grade than i got lol. i just wanted to see where i'm standing.. and an undergrad anatomy teacher seems pretty cool.. i didn't even think about teaching.. i was thinking of maybe becoming an RN then getting a degree to become a nurse anesthesiologist, or a chiropractor, or some other career in the health field that i'm not so interested in...

Hmm.. If I couldn't be a pod -

I would have to be a massage therapist that specializes in the lower extremeties... perhaps market myself in the waiting lobby at upscale pod shops.. A Podsagist.

If you want to do well on the MCAT, I suggest taking microbio and biochem in addition to all the other prerequisite courses. hell you should take those before starting med school if you can anyway!

If I couldn't do podiatry, I'd have to figure something out! there's no way in hell I'd do an MD! thats totally not worth it

if i could not be a podiatrist I would be a beer taster and a strip club owner. Then if I really wanted to see people screwed I would get into the insurance industry or politics.

If I couldn't do podiatry, I'd have to figure something out! there's no way in hell I'd do an MD! thats totally not worth it[/QUOTE]

what do you mean by that? isnt pod school and residency just as long as med school, with similar debt??

what makes pod school worth it but not med school?

I'll put it this way: I'm sitting in the same classes with my MD counterparts and they're paying $15k more a year for school. I have a guaranteed surgical residency, and podiatrists as a whole either do or have the potential to make a hell of a lot more than most MD specialties. Podiatrists, at least most of those in private practice, have terrific hours and a great quality of life (i.e. time spent doing other things besides working).

That being said, its not worth it to me to pay 60 grand more for tuition over 4 years, not know what specialty I'll be able to get into, and have a lot less time with my family with lower pay. To those whom it is worth it, God bless you. We need lots of good MDs and DOs in this country. I just found a better path for me.