"If you don't have an interview invitation by Thanksgiving, you're in trouble"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the focus of "applied first week" is wrong. I don't think anyone is saying that. The frequently mentioned advice is apply before Aug/Sept. That's not "first week"...that is first 8-12 weeks. I think that's a big difference.
Personally, I considered the first 2 weeks of July on time, mid-end July alright, August kinda late, and September really late. There were stats on AAMC that showed the % admitted based on submit date dropping from 30% on day one to less than 10% day 2. Anyone but the perfect applicant should take advantage of applying early in my opinion - it's a shame more aren't t aware of these stats.
Oh my gosh - that is supposed to be weeks >.< thank you guys and sorry for any confusion!!!! Fixing now!

Members don't see this ad.

Interview spots are not filling up that drastically from the first week of applications

So I'm still questioning the idea that most of the applicants who get accepted applied in the first week. It seems highly suspect. I definitely did not apply in the first week
It's a result of the AMCAS verification backlog, and the way rolling admissions work. And, that's not to say you 100% will not do well if you apply in August - I've got successful friends that did. But they had insane stats. You just have a higher chance the earlier you submit.

Personally, I would have waited a whole year instead of applying in August if those were my two options. I wanted to get in the first time and not have to worry about improving my app. So I planned every single thing - MCAT, LORs, everything - so I had it ready by June 2.

It's a result of the AMCAS verification backlog, and the way rolling admissions work. And, that's not to say you 100% will not do well if you apply in August - I've got successful friends that did. But they had insane stats. You just have a higher chance the earlier you submit.

Personally, I would have waited a whole year instead of applying in August if those were my two options. I wanted to get in the first time and not have to worry about improving my app. So I planned every single thing - MCAT, LORs, everything - so I had it ready by June 2.
Of course applying early is better in rolling admissions, but most schools don't even start looking at applications until late august/early september, so I'm still a bit skeptical that applying first week vs second week would make that drastic of a difference as 30% accepted students vs 10% accepted students

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Of course applying early is better in rolling admissions, but most schools don't even start looking at applications until late august/early september, so I'm still a bit skeptical that applying first week vs second week would make that drastic of a difference as 30% accepted students vs 10% accepted students
I would argue this and say the opposite. If this was the case, you wouldn't have seen 20-30 schools sending IIs out the last week of July/first two weeks of Aug.
Personally, I feel it comes down to the strength of the application combined with timing. OK app and late? Death trap waiting. Excellent app and late? Not so heinous

Reactions: 2 users
I would argue this and say the opposite. If this was the case, you wouldn't have seen 20-30 schools sending IIs out the last week of July/first two weeks of Aug.
Personally, I feel it comes down to the strength of the application combined with timing. OK app and late? Death trap waiting. Excellent app and late? Not so heinous
What I'm arguing is the definition of "late." Specifically, I'm arguing that submitting on the second week is not by any means late. Definitely not late enough to merit a drop in % acceptance from 30% -> 10%.

Being complete late august is considered on time by most adcoms here.

you must be fun at parties

I'm delightful.

Update: I just got my third II and I was complete in September. So there you go. Don't give up hope, everybody!

I'm delightful.

Update: I just got my third II and I was complete in September. So there you go. Don't give up hope, everybody!

I don't think being complete in September is a huge issue. Some people are still submitting in Sept...that seems to be an issue. When did you submit?

I know that my school didn't send their Committee Letter until quite late (IMHO). I'd have to check, but I think it was around the beginning or mid Sept. I got my first II's late Sept, so I'm thinking the CL got sent in shortly before that.

I don't think being complete in September is a huge issue. Some people are still submitting in Sept...that seems to be an issue. When did you submit?

I know that my school didn't send their Committee Letter until quite late (IMHO). I'd have to check, but I think it was around the beginning or mid Sept. I got my first II's late Sept, so I'm thinking the CL got sent in shortly before that.

I submitted my primary app to AMCAS in early July but I only put one school on there so I could wait and see what my MCAT score was before I applied to more. Then I got my score in August and applied to the other schools in a few chunks because I couldn't pay for it all at once. I was complete everywhere thorough September (not any earlier because I was waiting on my committee letter) and got my first II at the very beginning of October (from the one school that I put on my primary app when I first submitted it, lol.)

I submitted my primary late-September and was complete early October. Most of my secondaries were submitted late-October to mid-November. I got three IIs after Thanksgiving. All are in NY, and one is a state school.

I am waiting to hear back from the others. Keep the hope alive :).

I submitted my primary late-September and was complete early October. Most of my secondaries were submitted late-October to mid-November. I got three IIs after Thanksgiving. All are in NY, and one is a state school.

I am waiting to hear back from the others. Keep the hope alive :).

You submitted your primary late Sept and you were complete early Oct? Are you sure? At that point, AMCAS would have been taking at least 4-6 weeks to verify.

If you hadn't submitted secondaries until late Oct/mid Nov, then how could your app be complete in early October?

What do you consider to "be complete"? Maybe there's some confusion.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my primary app to AMCAS in early July but I only put one school on there so I could wait and see what my MCAT score was before I applied to more. Then I got my score in August and applied to the other schools in a few chunks because I couldn't pay for it all at once. I was complete everywhere thorough September (not any earlier because I was waiting on my committee letter) and got my first II at the very beginning of October (from the one school that I put on my primary app when I first submitted it, lol.)
At UVa too! Woooo congrats.

I'm not even a man. It's so obnoxious.

tumblr_leardgo7BI1qe3z92.png

Some women are excellent bros. Don't let yourself believe that you're not eligible to be called brah because of your sex

Reactions: 8 users
tumblr_leardgo7BI1qe3z92.png

Some women are excellent bros. Don't let yourself believe that you're not eligible to be called brah because of your sex

Nope. Still not a bro. I don't want to be anybody's bro. Even if I were a man, it would still be lame.

Cotterpin said:
I submitted my primary app to AMCAS in early July but I only put one school on there so I could wait and see what my MCAT score was before I applied to more. Then I got my score in August and applied to the other schools in a few chunks because I couldn't pay for it all at once. I was complete everywhere thorough September (not any earlier because I was waiting on my committee letter) and got my first II at the very beginning of October (from the one school that I put on my primary app when I first submitted it, lol.

At UVa too! Woooo congrats.

I don't think being complete in Sept is late. It seems that many schools that write CL's don't get them out until August thru October. I think LizzyM mentioned that she (and likely others) will still review apps prior to their CL's arriving. SOMs surely know that a number of undergrads don't write CLs over the summer.

You submitted in early July, which got you in line for verification early. Verification can be the cog in the wheel, so submitting early meant your app could be verified by early August.

@dermocrat88 Looking at post #164...I think some people use the word "complete" to describe submitting their primary and maybe sending transcripts and scores. I don't believe that is what most people consider "complete." So, discussions about "early" and "late" are going to be further confused.

I've always used the word "complete" to describe: primary and secondaries sent, transcript & MCAT sent, LORs/CL sent, AMCAS verification complete. To me, complete is complete. Dermocrat seems to be describing himself complete even though his app isn't verified and his secondaries haven't been submitted.

I don't think being complete in Sept is late. It seems that many schools that write CL's don't get them out until August thru October. I think LizzyM mentioned that she (and likely others) will still review apps prior to their CL's arriving. SOMs surely know that a number of undergrads don't write CLs over the summer.

You submitted in early July, which got you in line for verification early. Verification can be the cog in the wheel, so submitting early meant your app could be verified by early August.

@dermocrat88 Looking at post #164...I think some people use the word "complete" to describe submitting their primary and maybe sending transcripts and scores. I don't believe that is what most people consider "complete." So, discussions about "early" and "late" are going to be further confused.

I've always used the word "complete" to describe: primary and secondaries sent, transcript & MCAT sent, LORs/CL sent, AMCAS verification complete. To me, complete is complete. Dermocrat seems to be describing himself complete even though his app isn't verified and his secondaries haven't been submitted.

My primary was sent in Sept 29, and I was verified October 1st. My LORs were submitted October 17. Most of my secondaries were submitted late October to mid-November, so I was complete later in the cycle. Full completion is app verified, LORs, and secs submitted.

For most schools I was completed very late in the cycle.

I made a mistake above! I meant verified.

You chauvinists and your terms of endearment, are you guys even PC?

No, I just don't like it personally. It's irritating. Imagine if a girl who is ten years younger than you tries to be cool and calls you "girlfriend" or something. It's hard for me to think of a term for a woman that conjures the same obnoxious frat boy image that "bro" does, though.

My primary was sent in Sept 29, and I was verified October 1st. My LORs were submitted October 17. Most of my secondaries were submitted late October to mid-November, so I was complete later in the cycle. Full completion is app verified, LORs, and secs submitted.

For most schools I was completed very late in the cycle.

Thanks for the clarification. Amazing that AMCAS only took a few days to verify a Sept 29th submittal. When I submitted in summer of 2012, AMCAS took 3+ weeks to verify.

Thanks for the clarification. Amazing that AMCAS only took a few days to verify a Sept 29th submittal. When I submitted in summer of 2012, AMCAS took 3+ weeks to verify.

Remember, I applied really late in the cycle. All of the gunner pre-meds already submitted since May 15th (If they could have, lol)
I had to retake my MCAT in August, and once I saw my score I started the medical school application.

Remember, I applied really late in the cycle. All of the gunner pre-meds already submitted since May 15th (If they could have, lol)
I had to retake my MCAT in August, and once I saw my score I started the medical school application.
The word gunner is mis-used by pre-meds so frequently these days that I have to put you on the spot. It is not gunning by any mean to submit your application as soon as possible (i.e, the first day if possible) that's called being well-prepared and putting yourself into the best possible position. Just because others people have everything ready to go and want to take advantage of early submission doesn't mean you can label them "gunners"

The word gunner is mis-used by pre-meds so frequently these days that I have to put you on the spot. It is not gunning by any mean to submit your application as soon as possible (i.e, the first day if possible) that's called being well-prepared and putting yourself into the best possible position. Just because others people have everything ready to go and want to take advantage of early submission doesn't mean you can label them "gunners"

All gunners submit day 1. Not all those who submit day 1 are gunners. The guy said "all of the gunner pre-meds already submitted since May 15th". That is reasonable. He did not say that all those who submitted May 15th are gunners.

Reactions: 4 users
All gunners submit day 1. Not all those who submit day 1 are gunners. The guy said "all of the gunner pre-meds already submitted since May 15th". That is reasonable. He did not say that all those who submitted May 15th are gunners.
You lack an understanding for the definition of gunner and your statement is rather misguided.

Reactions: 1 users
No, I just don't like it personally. It's irritating. Imagine if a girl who is ten years younger than you tries to be cool and calls you "girlfriend" or something. It's hard for me to think of a term for a woman that conjures the same obnoxious frat boy image that "bro" does, though.
I personally think you're taking this a little too seriously, dude.

Reactions: 3 users
I personally think you're taking this a little too seriously, dude.

Well, people keep bugging me about it, e.g. you are continuing to respond to me about it. You could just drop it, you know. All I said was "please don't call me bro" and now everybody's upset. It has nothing to do with being PC or whatever. I don't like bros. I don't want to be called one. Please get over it, ma'am.

Well, people keep bugging me about it, e.g. you are continuing to respond to me about it. You could just drop it, you know. All I said was "please don't call me bro" and now everybody's upset. It has nothing to do with being PC or whatever. I don't like bros. I don't want to be called one. Please get over it, ma'am.

Bromance_brewski_03.jpg

Sir and ma'am are gender based, whereas bro is not necessarily gender-based.
It's happy hour time. How about a brewski for my broski to unwind?
Ok seriously this is my last one :laugh:

You lack an understanding for the definition of gunner and your statement is rather misguided.

It is my opinion. You can apply early, and still don't get in. Your chances are slightly better when you apply early, but I know people who applied early, and still did not hear back. No matter when you apply, if you are competitive, and fit the mission of the school, you would get an interview :). Granted, I wished I did apply early, but I knew my application was slightly on the strong side excluding my MCAT score.

I am a well-prepared individual, and applied to various fellowships in my lifetime. I know how essential it is to adhere to the deadline, but MCAT was my priority, and this was my third time taking it.

I've always thought of gunners as being people that will sabotage other classmates in order to get the higher grades. My cousin had a gunner sabotage her in a lab class. Another told her that a prof rescheduled a quiz, when he hadn't.

Are we really going to debate about how the word " gunner" should be used? Too much thinking.

Are we really going to debate about how the word " gunner" should be used? Too much thinking.
You'll soon see how taboo it is to use that word in med school...not even kidding, med students freak the heck out when you use that word around them.

You'll soon see how taboo it is to use that word in med school...not even kidding, med students freak the heck out when you use that word around them.

Ok. Didn't know

I haven't seen that, nor heard anyone call another that. But, I guess at some SOMs where the gunners are still up to their old tricks, they might freak because the word hits too close to home.

:poke:

Doesn't look it's taboo at all med schools.

That is satirical though...
But the way that they describe gunner is not someone who will hurt others to get ahead. They describe it as someone who is just way too competitive/ambitious

But the way that they describe gunner is not someone who will hurt others to get ahead. They describe it as someone who is just way too competitive/ambitious

Right, they're just describing the suck-up, arm-in-the-upright-position-answer-every-question types. Yes, some gunners are just gunning for A's, but there's those conniving gunners who will (figuratively) stick their leg out to trip you anytime they can.

Either way negative connotation.

Anywayyyyy....

Just wanted to spread some hope to everyone in here. I thought I was finished hearing back from schools this cycle but I just received two II's this week, both from schools I was complete at in July. It's not over 'til it's over and I hope you all hear some good news soon. Good luck!

Reactions: 10 users
Anywayyyyy....

Just wanted to spread some hope to everyone in here. I thought I was finished hearing back from schools this cycle but I just received two II's this week, both from schools I was complete at in July. It's not over 'til it's over and I hope you all hear some good news soon. Good luck!

Same here. I had one II (and 10 rejections) before Thanksgiving..and now 3 IIs (1 of which is now an acceptance) after thanksgiving!

Reactions: 5 users
Anywayyyyy....

You had an offer of admission before Thanksgiving so it is really no surprise, and not really a way of spreading "hope" to report that you have yet another interview.

The point is that having no interviews by Thanksgiving is a bad sign, like having a hemoglobin level of 8 is a bad sign. For some people, things turn out okay in the end but for others, it is not pretty. Don't be posting "hope" when you have the equivalent of a hemoglobin of 14.

Reactions: 9 users
You had an offer of admission before Thanksgiving so it is really no surprise, and not really a way of spreading "hope" to report that you have yet another interview.

The point is that having no interviews by Thanksgiving is a bad sign, like having a hemoglobin level of 8 is a bad sign. For some people, things turn out okay in the end but for others, it is not pretty.
Uhh like half the people in this thread have 1+ IIs and are wondering if they'll get any more this cycle. There's no reason why my recent II's shouldn't be a good sign for them.

Last edited:
:slap:

The point is that having no interviews by Thanksgiving is a bad sign, like having a hemoglobin level of 8 is a bad sign. For some people, things turn out okay in the end but for others, it is not pretty. Don't be posting "hope" when you have the equivalent of a hemoglobin of 14.

and that's how the grinch stole christmas, folks..................

Uhh like half the people in this thread have 1+ IIs and are wondering if they'll get any more this cycle. There's no reason why my recent II's shouldn't be a good sign for them.

I think Lizzy just means that since you did have good responses prior to Thanksgiving, then your app is solid and doesn't have any glaring holes after that initial review. For the folks who have not heard by Thanksgiving, most likely having already been reviewed at most places with no II love, they may have some problems on their app that are the reason for the silence. But since you had success early on, you passed the "smell test" so to speak, which probably makes it more likely to continue to get interviews throughout the cycle.

I think Lizzy just means that since you did have good responses prior to Thanksgiving, then your app is solid and doesn't have any glaring holes after that initial review. For the folks who have not heard by Thanksgiving, most likely having already been reviewed at most places with no II love, they may have some problems on their app that are the reason for the silence. But since you had success early on, you passed the "smell test" so to speak, which probably makes it more likely to continue to get interviews throughout the cycle.
I knew what she meant. I noticed a large number of ppl in this forum have 1 or 2 interviews but are hoping to hear elsewhere and my post was mostly to encourage them.

Medical schools offer up a window of notification like the often joked about cable guy. "We'll be there sometime between 8am and 6pm," followed by a call the next day saying they missed you (if you're like some of us). Until I get a call that I'm done, it's not over. I know they have a lot of apps. A LOT. But it's human nature to hang on to hope.

I (and others without II's) need to keep improving and considering our options, but if my greatest envisioned reward at this point is another year throwing time and money into a pit of web-portals and generated e-mails without someone even talking to me... that's depressing.