If you had 3 months as a med student...

Started by eskimo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eskimo

New Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Scenario: -You're a medical student in the summer before your last year (IMG)
- You have 3 months free to do any rotations you want
- You want to get into anesthesiology
- Emergency Med as a distant backup residency
- You would prefer to stay out of Texas and California

Thank you for any thoughts/suggestions 🙂
 
I am going to do two anes rotations and a month in the SICU (I am a DO candidate not FMG). maybe you should do two anes and one ER rotation. Apply widely. if your step one score is borderline take step two early. Rotate at three places that you would consider yourself a reasonable candidate that you would be happy. this is my plan.
 
I was thinking of doing an anesthesiology, critical care, and an EM rotation...or something of the sort. I got 233/94 on Step 1 and am doing Step 2 CK/CS in June. I know that if I was a US student then my Step 1 score would be sufficient and I would have a lot less worrying...but I'm not really sure with this score if I have a chance in Anesthesiology.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking of doing an anesthesiology, critical care, and an EM rotation...or something of the sort. I got 233/94 on Step 1 and am doing Step 2 CK/CS in June. I know that if I was a US student then my Step 1 score would be sufficient and I would have a lot less worrying...but I'm not really sure with this score if I have a chance in Anesthesiology.

IMG here. Similar step 1 score, comparable step 2 score (as my step 1 score) and pass step 2 CS. You WILL have a shot at anesthesiology, even at some very reputable programs. However, the interviews will come trickling in, not pouring in as if you were a US grad with same scores. Also, you must apply to A LOT of programs and apply widely and very early (have everything in early). Doing well on step 2 also helps a lot (and is very duable if you study hard). I would recommend doing an anesthesia rotation and securing a letter from an anesthesiologist, followed by an EM (this will make it clear if EM is something you want or not) followed by SICU securing another letter preferably by an intensivist who is also an anethesiologist. If you want it you can have it, but you must be aggressive and determined. I havn't matched yet, but I'm on the interview trail, have 10 interviews thus far and hoping to have around 15 by the time its all said and done. All the best.
 
IMG here. Similar step 1 score, comparable step 2 score (as my step 1 score) and pass step 2 CS. You WILL have a shot at anesthesiology, even at some very reputable programs. However, the interviews will come trickling in, not pouring in as if you were a US grad with same scores. Also, you must apply to A LOT of programs and apply widely and very early (have everything in early). Doing well on step 2 also helps a lot (and is very duable if you study hard). I would recommend doing an anesthesia rotation and securing a letter from an anesthesiologist, followed by an EM (this will make it clear if EM is something you want or not) followed by SICU securing another letter preferably by an intensivist who is also an anethesiologist. If you want it you can have it, but you must be aggressive and determined. I havn't matched yet, but I'm on the interview trail, have 10 interviews thus far and hoping to have around 15 by the time its all said and done. All the best.

Best of luck to you. 👍