If you had to do it over again how many would choose the CRNA route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

malusport

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please no quarrals about whether CRNA or MDA is better.

I just want to hear from people in residency, that if they had to do it again and know what they know now would choose the CRNA route?

Taking into consideration going as far back as premed, MCAT, med school, USMLE 1,2, and 3 and the rest...........and don't forget the current loans.....

Again no fights about which is better or worse.........just honest opinions only.............please........

PS: Also, make sure to answer why?

Members don't see this ad.

malusport said:
Please no quarrals about whether CRNA or MDA is better.

I just want to hear from people in residency, that if they had to do it again and know what they know now would choose the CRNA route?

Taking into consideration going as far back as premed, MCAT, med school, USMLE 1,2, and 3 and the rest...........and don't forget the current loans.....

Again no fights about which is better or worse.........just honest opinions only.............please........

PS: Also, make sure to answer why?

Awww cmon, ask something fun instead:

If you could choose a woman with breast implants or not, how many would choose them? Please no quarrels about whether big boobs or small boobs are hotter.

I just want to hear from people who masturbate a lot, that if they had to do it again and know what they know now would choose a real woman over the blow up doll in their closet?

Taking into consideration going as far back as the early days of silicone implants and now the recent push for the FDA to reinstate their use..... drool... I, I think I need to change my pants...

Again no fights about which is better......just honest horny opinions only........please.......

PS: Also, make sure to include pics to support your argument.

A tempting thought indeed when contemplating the amount of debt I have accrued at 4 am having gotten slammed with another painful admission. Throw in the fact that I make about 9 bucks an hour and it hurts even more. The pain is further increased when I hear what some of the Sr. tele nurses and icu nurses are making an hour.Alas, things being as they are right now, I'm more than happy with the route I've taken.

Bottom line: If you wanted to be a physician and go to nursing school thinking that you are "like a physician" life is gonna be miserable. On the other hand, If you went to nursing school because you wanted to go into the heath care industry, have a stable job with a decent paycheck, and be part of a team, then subsequently fond out that CRNA is a cool option after you dug ICU work then your life is gonna be great. Different strokes for different folks Mr. Drummond. Yes, that was a run on sentence. No, I don't care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vent-

Nice to hear - if you're serious. I just underwent a cysto and the CRNA was going on and on about how docs were calling his CRNA master's program begging to get in, and that he leaves at 4pm and the docs have to do all the late cases, and he makes more than the hosital's peds and IM guys and on and on ....

MDAs...are you guys happy?

dc

bigdan said:
Vent-

Nice to hear - if you're serious. I just underwent a cysto and the CRNA was going on and on about how docs were calling his CRNA master's program begging to get in, and that he leaves at 4pm and the docs have to do all the late cases, and he makes more than the hosital's peds and IM guys and on and on ....

dc

You can't apply to CRNA school without being an ICU nurse first so I'm not sure what docs are actually trying this...anypoops, if thats true, I'm certain those same docs are applying to every anesthesia dept too.

As far as doing late cases I'm sure the attending anesthesiologists don't feel like they are being left ditched in the hospital. Poo happens, cases run late, there is call, PACU trouble, broader scope of responsibility etc... Goes with your salary and title. In the end the anes group and the hospital are billing for those hours ya know.

In addition there are different politics at each hospital. In Illinois, some places have CRNA's workin the OR's the whole time with MD supervision (ala ENH I believe. Not taking rotating residents into account).

Lastly, every group involved in the medical community has some stereotypical derrogatory comment to say about one another. Those comments have to be taken in perspective. It's Just sort of disheartening to have that guy start raggen on some docs at this point in your career.

Hope your bladder is ok. =)

I'm not a big implant fan, but I guess it all depends on body type. If a woman is thin and has small breasts I prefer au naturale. But I can see how a girl who is a little bigger might want to be proportioned, but I'm not into "bigger" girls. My BMI cut-off is around 20-21.

And as far as being a CRNA......hell NO. I have never manually disimpacted anyone, nor do I plan on it. And the only ass I ever plan on wiping is my own (sorry future wife...).

dbiddy808 said:
And as far as being a CRNA......hell NO. I have never manually disimpacted anyone, nor do I plan on it. And the only ass I ever plan on wiping is my own (sorry future wife...).

This one statement alone pretty much sums up your maturity level..

Pretty much, but I stand by my statement. And by the way I was half-joking.

I had Medical and surgical residents manually disimpact patients under my care more than once. Hey you gotta do what you gotta do. Don't be a scared to get dirty pretty boy *****. If you are an MD and scared to do that, you must not be very good with pt's. Obviously you dont give a damn.

IM/AnesthMD said:
Awww cmon, ask something fun instead:

If you could choose a woman with breast implants or not, how many would choose them? Please no quarrels about whether big boobs or small boobs are hotter.

without - definitely hotter, no matter whether big or small ...
even though it also depends on the kind of "relationship" that you are envisioning with her :love:

IM/AnesthMD said:
I just want to hear from people who masturbate a lot, that if they had to do it again and know what they know now would choose a real woman over the blow up doll in their closet?
not quite sure 'bout that, will have to consult my therapist about that.

IM/AnesthMD said:
PS: Also, make sure to include pics to support your argument.
... for which of the two items exactly ? ;-)

nitecap said:
I had Medical and surgical residents manually disimpact patients under my care more than once. Hey you gotta do what you gotta do. Don't be a scared to get dirty pretty boy *****. If you are an MD and scared to do that, you must not be very good with pt's. Obviously you dont give a damn.

So you enjoy sticking your hands up someone's dingus? Man, I always thought that caring about your patients and not enjoying being elbow deep in crap had nothing to do with each other. Boy, was I mistaken.

JudoKing01 said:
So you enjoy sticking your hands up someone's dingus? Man, I always thought that caring about your patients and not enjoying being elbow deep in crap had nothing to do with each other. Boy, was I mistaken.

Nitecap is right - if YOU think YOU are TOO GOOD or TOO IMPORTANT to clean up after a patient craps, pees, or pukes, you've got no business going into medicine. I don't like it, but I've done it. I've seen attendings clean up patients when the need arises. We're all there to take care of the patient - period. If you're too much of a wuss, try accounting.

crna or whatever kinda nurse...they may make more money than residents but once you are done with residency you will command alot more respect in your community and have a much more fulfilling career in medicine (in most cases)

jwk said:
Nitecap is right - if YOU think YOU are TOO GOOD or TOO IMPORTANT to clean up after a patient craps, pees, or pukes, you've got no business going into medicine. I don't like it, but I've done it. I've seen attendings clean up patients when the need arises. We're all there to take care of the patient - period. If you're too much of a wuss, try accounting.

What you're saying is exactly my point. Just because you don't like cleaning **** off a patient doesn't mean you are an uncaring doctor. There is a difference between not doing it and not liking to do it.

bigdan said:
Vent-

dc

1) I'm happy I'm a doctor.
2) I'm all for breast augmentation
3) I respect CRNAs and AAs

4) VENT PLEASE CLOSE THIS STUPID ASS THREAD. ITS GONNA GO THE WAY OF TRENT REZNORS BEST ALBUM.....

jetproppilot said:

4) VENT PLEASE CLOSE THIS STUPID ASS THREAD. ITS GONNA GO THE WAY OF TRENT REZNORS BEST ALBUM.....

JPP, you kill me with #2 :p

Jet, as a guy in the real world, do you see Cardiac Anes. going the same way as Cards Surgery? I am interested in Cards anesthesia, but I was told to sort of curb my enthusiasm by a couple of chairs at top places on the interview trail this year, including the place I ultimately matched with.

The basic sentiment was that you can still do plenty of fun and challeging cards cases without a fellowship, and keep the diversity of cases as well. What I took from these discussions is that cards anesth. may well be going the way of cards surgery, so don't limit yourself. From your other posts, looks like you've got plenty of awesome cards cases yourself without the fellowship, so I was curious about your take. Do most people doing the tough cards cases have fellowship training? I remember hearing that it will be ACGME approved in the next few years.

Not to hijack this thread or anything...well, actually, yes, to hijack this thread.

jetproppilot said:

As we wish.

Edit: My apologies for shutten down your last post Blocks. Open a new thread about cardiac fellowships. Its a valid question.

Status
Not open for further replies.