If you had to pick 2 of these 3 psychology courses...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If you had to pick 2 of these 3 psychology courses, which 2 would you choose?

• Abnormal Psych & Social Psych

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Social Psych & Physiological Psych

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Abnormal Psych & Physiological Psych

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters
N

NP545

If you had to pick 2 of these 3 psychology courses (not only for 2015 MCAT, but mainly based on interest-appeal), which 2 would they be?
Options: Social, Abnormal, Physiological

Members don't see this ad.

For the 2015 MCAT, social psych and physiological psych would be most helpful.

I loved abnormal psych. Not sure about physiological psych but I took biological bases of behavior which was another favorite of mine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is physiological psych the same thing as biological psych? I'm considering taking biological psych next semester.

Social Psych was boring, but I guess somehow useful for the new MCAT. I would also chose Physio, since there is simply use for it as a reinforcer of some concepts..

Abnormal is interesting. I TA'd physiological psych and think that's pretty interesting too. I'm pretty sure I took social psych, but don't remember it, if that tells you anything.

Although, I think the point about social psych being helpful for the new version of the MCAT is worth considering.

Last edited:
Abnormal psych would be my top choice and I'd say it was one of the best classes I took in undergrad. I enjoyed social psych, but interest appeal aside it would probably be less helpful to someone pre-med. I took biological psych instead of physiological psych and found it to be dull. To be fair that could have been the lackluster professor.

They're all good courses, it just really depends on the prof. I'm heavily biased towards social psych, especially if it's upper level. Abnormal is interesting, but if it's just general abnormal it's likely taught at a very broad level and doesn't touch on a lot of the nuances of psychopathology; none the less still interesting. Honestly, you can't really go wrong with any combo of the three.

Reactions: 1 user
If you had to pick 2 of these 3 psychology courses (not only for 2015 MCAT, but mainly based on interest-appeal), which 2 would they be?

Abnormal and Physiological

Also mentioning I will be taking Orgo 2, Physics, and the 2 corresponding labs. Total would be 15-16 credits including the 2 psych classes

For me, it would come down to the professors and how the class is received by your peers. I would take social and abnormal pysch, and maybe swap abnormal for physiological depending on the professor.

This may not apply to you at all, but avoid being the guinea pig for a class like this. In my experiences the class simply didn't go into the depth that I was hoping for.

I did not like Abnormal Psychology, but it might have been my professor. I felt like all we talked about was what the disorder was and what the diagnosis criteria was.

However, I have taken both Social and Physiological Psychology, and I loved both of them! My professors for both these classes were really good too! So my point is: take whichever class interests you the most BUT make sure you have a good professor too!

I've already take General Psychology. In the Spring I will be taking Medical Sociology and Developmental Psychology.

Also mentioning I will be taking Orgo 2, Physics, and the 2 corresponding labs. Total would be 15-16 credits including the 2 psych classes

That sounds perfectly fine.

I regret not taking an abnormal class- so I vote that and social, but like others have said its very dependent on the professor.