If you had to pick a specialty which would it be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

If you could pick a specialty which would you choose?

  • Nope, not gonna happen. (General Dentist)

    Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Endodontist

    Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Orthodontist

    Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Pediatric Dentist

    Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

    Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Oral & Maxillofacial Pathologist

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oral & Maxillofacial Radiologist

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Periodontist

    Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Prosthodontist

    Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Public Health Dentist

    Votes: 2 2.6%

  • Total voters
    76

Advance

DDS
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's a little early to decide a specialty but many applicants have shadowed multiple dental specialties and I am curious to see which one is the most popular amongst the forum.
 
I've worked with quite a few specialists since I am an assistant in a specialty clinic. Personally, I like perio or prostho the most. I am torn between the two.

OMFS is awesome, but I want a life outside of work. If you work outside of the hospital, you are pretty much pulling thirds and placing implants, which many other specialties also do (prostho, perio, and even some endodontists place implants).

A lot of people don't know about the subspecialty of prostho which is maxillofacial prosthodontics. They replace eyes, noses, ears, all sorts of things that make a huge difference in people's lives.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
General all the way! I used to have a preference for one specialty, but I've decided that I like all the procedures and I can't see myself committing to just one of them for my entire career.

I want to do as much as I safely and competently can do.
 
I've worked with quite a few specialists since I am an assistant in a specialty clinic. Personally, I like perio or prostho the most. I am torn between the two.

OMFS is awesome, but I want a life outside of work. If you work outside of the hospital, you are pretty much pulling thirds and placing implants, which many other specialties also do (prostho, perio, and even some endodontists place implants).

A lot of people don't know about the subspecialty of prostho which is maxillofacial prosthodontics. They replace eyes, noses, ears, all sorts of things that make a huge difference in people's lives.
😱 That's pretty cool. I didn't know that.
 
I have always sort of been the "jack of all trades" in life which is why I think I'll enjoy being general more than specializing. Also, saying that you want to specialize before being exposed to all aspects of dentistry first is, I think, kind of an ego thing. I love how when I first told my parents that I want to go into dentistry they immediately "suggested" I do ortho. Then, a week later, after my dad "did his research", he asks me, "Son, have you ever heard of OMFS"..

But yeah ultimately it comes down to what you enjoy busting your balls for most. If you like versatility, do general. If you like RCT/Implants, do endo/perio... I imagine it all comes down to what you feel you are best at
 
I have always sort of been the "jack of all trades" in life which is why I think I'll enjoy being general more than specializing. Also, saying that you want to specialize before being exposed to all aspects of dentistry first is, I think, kind of an ego thing. I love how when I first told my parents that I want to go into dentistry they immediately "suggested" I do ortho. Then, a week later, after my dad "did his research", he asks me, "Son, have you ever heard of OMFS"..

But yeah ultimately it comes down to what you enjoy busting your balls for most. If you like versatility, do general. If you like RCT/Implants, do endo/perio... I imagine it all comes down to what you feel you are best at

Look into prosthodontics. You are still pretty much a generalist, but whenever a more complex comes along that requires full-mouth restoration, you can feel confident about tackling the case.

I'm like you. I want to take on a diverse set of procedures. I don't like monotony and the challenges that come in general practice appeal to me the most, especially when you are proactive and choose to expand your skill-set. Plus you get really close to your patients since you see them throughout their life.
 
Last edited:
Perio. When the implants fail from GPs who took a weekend CE course and I have cases of severe peri-implantitis, I'll be loling. Plus, I think sinus lifts and bone grafting is awesome.