If you have 2-5 years of work experience, would you do a PGY 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Don Quichotte

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the title there is the gist of the question. Currently I work in a medium size community hospital and do a lot of clinical duties (work in ER, dose/monitor abx, dose/monitor anticoagulants) as well as some distributive and order entry duties. I am probably going to have to move to the East Coast where I have NO connections. I am trying to think about what my next step should be. Is someone like me competitive for a clinical position as is, or should I consider going back to do a PGY1. PGY1 seems like it might be interesting at large academic institution to get some exposure to other areas like inpatient onc, organ transplantation etc. Any thoughts? Also, how are residencies in NJ and NY?

Members don't see this ad.

i think you have the experience to apply for jobs, dont think you need a residency

So the title there is the gist of the question. Currently I work in a medium size community hospital and do a lot of clinical duties (work in ER, dose/monitor abx, dose/monitor anticoagulants) as well as some distributive and order entry duties. I am probably going to have to move to the East Coast where I have NO connections. I am trying to think about what my next step should be. Is someone like me competitive for a clinical position as is, or should I consider going back to do a PGY1. PGY1 seems like it might be interesting at large academic institution to get some exposure to other areas like inpatient onc, organ transplantation etc. Any thoughts? Also, how are residencies in NJ and NY?

Have you considered studying and sitting to take the BCPS exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be sitting for the exam this October. I work on the West Coast and have a mostly clinical position. As I really love the type of position I have right now, I really would want to be able to continue working as a, at least in part, clinical pharmacist on the East Coast, as opposed to a position with mostly distribution, staffing duties. But my understanding of the East Coast (and really, this is based on rumor so I would appreciate any comments on this! :D) is that residencies count for a lot. Also does anyone know how much value pharmacy directors put on being involved with state and national pharmacy associations? Thanks!! :luck:

I will be sitting for the exam this October. I work on the West Coast and have a mostly clinical position. As I really love the type of position I have right now, I really would want to be able to continue working as a, at least in part, clinical pharmacist on the East Coast, as opposed to a position with mostly distribution, staffing duties. But my understanding of the East Coast (and really, this is based on rumor so I would appreciate any comments on this! :D) is that residencies count for a lot. Also does anyone know how much value pharmacy directors put on being involved with state and national pharmacy associations? Thanks!! :luck:

where'd you hear that? the predominant thinking i have heard is a residency = 3-5 years of work experience, so if you already have the latter part of that equation, just sit for BCPS and job hunt -- you'll get hired before a fresh-out-of-residency practitioner.

I have to be honest, when I decided to sit for BCPS I thought it was a nice way to push me to do an in depth review of pharmacy from the perspective of several years clinical experience...Do employers actually look at it favorably?

I have to be honest, when I decided to sit for BCPS I thought it was a nice way to push me to do an in depth review of pharmacy from the perspective of several years clinical experience...Do employers actually look at it favorably?

Yes. Many employers prefer to hire people with BCPS, and some will even give a raise to pharmacists who pass BCPS. Personally, I found I had a lot more respect from my colleagues after I passed BCPS (but no raise, sigh).

I probably wouldn't do a PGY1, unless I was deadset on specializing/PGY2 or working in academia. Otherwise, pass the BCPS and get as invovled as possible in your hospital.