If you have not yet done this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I the only one who thinks fauxden and Gaston are the same person?

It wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened on SDN. I saw the same thing earlier this year in the PCOM thread by some kid that attends UGA. :rofl:

You should stop pursuing a career in pharmacy. The field is completely saturated. I'm a p2 right now. My buddies ahead of me that are p3 and p4s have no job opportunities. If you don't think I'm telling the truth do your research. The old numbers of pharmacists always being in demand are no longer accurate. Pharmacy is the next physical therapy. They were making 70 out of school, they built tons of schools, flooded the market, and now they make in the 40's. Think about this and don't just think ' oh it will work out'...really consider what you are doing. I'm saying this to protect the rest of you from heading into pointless debt and a waste of education/time. We had a pharmacy job fair this year and we had students that had ALREADY graduated coming back to try and find jobs. We are screwed. Don't let the schools fill you full of BS saying that the baby boomer will all retire and this and that. The field is saturated. Get over it. The ship has sailed. We are too late. Don't let people fill your minds with gum drops and bonuses. Those days are long gone.

photo.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one who thinks fauxden and Gaston are the same person?

Yep...GUILTY... I registered in March AND December all with this thread in mind. :rolleyes:. It must be mind blowing for you to know that there are other ACTUAL PHARMACY STUDENTS AND NOT PRE PHARMS who agree with me. Yeah, it's crazy, people actually in the field and in school that know what they are talking about. But I'm sure you all know more than any of us. I'm sure you've done projects on the subject and made presentations to classes about this...yeah...I'm sure you're just as in the know as I am. I'm sure you've talked to over 15 recruiters from large and small companies and have found they are not hiring anyone. I'm sure you go to work everyday and hear regional managers talk about how they are getting 20+ apps a WEEK for positions they don't have. But, like I said, I'm very confident you all already know all of this. That's why I value your opinions sooooo much. :rolleyes:. And obviously the purpose of this thread was to just make people mad, not to inform the pre-pharms that they might want to look into this career more seriously before believing everything they've heard. I have yet to see anyone refute the argument that supply is up, demand is down, and more and more schools are continuing to open their doors. I don't care how much you think you may love this field (which I find hilarious coming from a bunch of people not even in school yet), it also has to add up logistically, dollars wise. My only motivation with becoming a pharmacist was not money, but it would have been a great perk. Obviously, most of you choose to keep the wool over your eyes. That is fine. But just do your research. And this doesn't include the bureau of labor statistics google search. Look at things more in depth. Those numbers are horrendously out of date.

Also- as a side note--- you people seriously have your gpas and crap posted every time you post? Give me a break.

My personal anecdotal evidence against the "there are no jobs" is this:
Position TitleCLINICAL PHARMACISTAdvertising Ends on:Extended Until Position is FilledAdvertising Started on:Monday, August 9th, 2010
An open position for three months now. There is another that is open for the standard two weeks. I will agree with some saturation though; the last bonus I saw was about 6 months ago, though I haven't been looking since then either. Regardless, I'm not concerned about the job outlook or security of pharmacy.

My personal anecdotal evidence against the "there are no jobs" is this:
Position TitleCLINICAL PHARMACISTAdvertising Ends on:Extended Until Position is FilledAdvertising Started on:Monday, August 9th, 2010
An open position for three months now. There is another that is open for the standard two weeks. I will agree with some saturation though; the last bonus I saw was about 6 months ago, though I haven't been looking since then either. Regardless, I'm not concerned about the job outlook or security of pharmacy.
One job for the 10,000 new grads that is real promising....

Why is this completely useless and pessimistic thread still open? I am losing all faith I had in the mods.

IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE IN PHARMACY GET THE F*CK OUT! I DONT CARE IF YOUR A PREPHARM, P1, P2, P3, P4 OR EVEN A PRACTICING PHARMACIST FOR 20+ YEARS WITH 500k IN DEBT. TOO MUCH ALREADY INVESTED? I DONT CARE. GET OUT! NOW! NO ONE ON HERE CARES IF YOU BELEIVED WHAT OTHERS SAID TO YOU TO GET YOU INTO PHARMACY- YOU SHOULD HAVE INVESTIGATED FOR YOURSELF. YOUR FAULT.

Fauxden, you must intern at corporate to hear regional managers discuss the job market every single day. :laugh:

Anyways, there is saturation in many places, however, there are a lot of places that are still in need of pharmacists.

One job for the 10,000 new grads that is real promising....

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the point of the post. The job has been posted since early August and now it's early December, and it's still not filled.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the point of the post. The job has been posted since early August and now it's early December, and it's still not filled.

Exactly. And to make sure it wasn't just the hospital that I worked at I searched two other nearby hospitals and they had three positions between them. Seven more throughout the state at a retail chain.
Jobs exists, you might have to search for them, you might have to relocate for them, you probably won't get a bonus (unless you relocate to Alaska...). These are things that I am fine with. Are others not?

I'm a little curious as to Faux's and Gaston's motivation for posting? Is it just to troll or what? Are you genuinely warning us against what you believe to be a valid problem? If so why are you still in the field?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I had more or less disproved most of this with my post a few months ago...

Yeah I just saw your post pop up to the top of the list. Hadn't seen it before since it was buried under all the "class of 2015" threads. Maybe a sticky really is in order...

Yeah I just saw your post pop up to the top of the list. Hadn't seen it before since it was buried under all the "class of 2015" threads. Maybe a sticky really is in order...

I'll be rewriting a bit in the hopes of turning it into an actual article over break

One thing I'd like to know is how far people go from home in their job searches before saying they couldn't find one.

Just out of curiosity, I went to look for pharmacist openings in my area. Found 7 of them. 4 of them are in major hospitals in Las Vegas: UMC, Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center, Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center, St. Rose Siena. 2 openings were independently owned pharmacies and 1 was from Cardinal Health. Didn't even look at CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart and such but I am sure if I went and looked, the number of openings would be even higher...
Nothing to worry about guys... :)

But what if i live in another state, am i still doomed?

But what if i live in another state, am i still doomed?

No you are not doomed. Even if you are not willing to relocate, something will come up in your state,too. And this bad economy is not going to last forever. I know it's not how it used to be, but going into this field is still one of the best choices you can make. It will get better! Pharmacy is awesomeeeeeee!!!!!

Thanks, you made me feel better, wanna get married?

I'll be rewriting a bit in the hopes of turning it into an actual article over break

You should rename it "...Look At The Past, Present, And Future..."

Oxford commas creep me out but academic types seem to like them. Just a thought friend.

You should stop pursuing a career in pharmacy. The field is completely saturated. I'm a p2 right now. My buddies ahead of me that are p3 and p4s have no job opportunities. If you don't think I'm telling the truth do your research. The old numbers of pharmacists always being in demand are no longer accurate. Pharmacy is the next physical therapy. They were making 70 out of school, they built tons of schools, flooded the market, and now they make in the 40's. Think about this and don't just think ' oh it will work out'...really consider what you are doing. I'm saying this to protect the rest of you from heading into pointless debt and a waste of education/time. We had a pharmacy job fair this year and we had students that had ALREADY graduated coming back to try and find jobs. We are screwed. Don't let the schools fill you full of BS saying that the baby boomer will all retire and this and that. The field is saturated. Get over it. The ship has sailed. We are too late. Don't let people fill your minds with gum drops and bonuses. Those days are long gone.

I guess it's a good thing you didn't go to law school...

The article was well put togehter. I guess the problem that I have with it is that the most recent source was from 2009. The other articles were from 99-2002, if I saw it right. In 2009 five schools opened their doors. From then on there have been ~33 schools looking to open or that have opened. Thats just under 40 schools, pumping out about 100 grads, give or take, some with as many as 300, thats 4k more students entering the workforce every year. At the time most of the articles were put together the demand was HUGE. The articles would naturally follow that path. A lot has changed since that time. Just like you said, its cyclic, and we are currently working on a huge surplus of pharmacists.

Why hasn't anyone here thought of going to Canada? Simple as that!
It's really easy for Americans to get licensed there.

Just out of curiosity, I went to look for pharmacist openings in my area. Found 7 of them. 4 of them are in major hospitals in Las Vegas: UMC, Spring Valley Hospital Medical Center, Desert Springs Hospital Medical Center, St. Rose Siena. 2 openings were independently owned pharmacies and 1 was from Cardinal Health. Didn't even look at CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart and such but I am sure if I went and looked, the number of openings would be even higher...
Nothing to worry about guys... :)

Lol...great...a pre-pharm looking for pharmacist jobs...

Lol...great...a pre-pharm looking for pharmacist jobs...
Yea that would be considered a waste of time seeing as how none of those will be available. The surplus of pharmacist hasnt hit yet. All the new schools have opened and will continue to open but we wont feel the full effect until they start graduating all their students a few years from now... Have fun prepharms!!!!

To the OP: You cite basically economic reasons why to jump ship from pharmacy. That's all well and logical, but that's not even the half of why I'm going to be a pharmacist. Sure, you have to be financially logical in choosing a career, but you also need to do what you are going to be happy doing for the rest of your life, and pharmacy is it for me, and a lot of other people. I don't know about you guys, but I'm prepared to fight tooth and nail to be at the top of my peers so that when the time comes, my resume stands out and I get hired. Just getting into pharm school, squeaking by with mediocre grades, and passing your board exams isn't enough, and I never considered it. So the short answer to the problem is that lazy people, or those who are just not willing to put the time and effort in to excel and stand out are probably screwed. Those of us who feel the need to excel and who go out of our way to challenge ourselves will be just fine.

:)

To the OP: You cite basically economic reasons why to jump ship from pharmacy. That's all well and logical, but that's not even the half of why I'm going to be a pharmacist. Sure, you have to be financially logical in choosing a career, but you also need to do what you are going to be happy doing for the rest of your life, and pharmacy is it for me, and a lot of other people. I don't know about you guys, but I'm prepared to fight tooth and nail to be at the top of my peers so that when the time comes, my resume stands out and I get hired. Just getting into pharm school, squeaking by with mediocre grades, and passing your board exams isn't enough, and I never considered it. So the short answer to the problem is that lazy people, or those who are just not willing to put the time and effort in to excel and stand out are probably screwed. Those of us who feel the need to excel and who go out of our way to challenge ourselves will be just fine.

There's always room at the top. :p

what for? No jobs there either...FYI

What are you talking about? How do you know?

Aren't pharmacists in demand in Canada? They ARE on the immigration skills list. I mean in demand except Vancouver and Toronto?

Last edited:
Can't say I believe the OP. I have spent a whole year and a half working in various pharmacies and already have 3 job offers for when I graduate. Heck, I am not even in pharmacy school yet. So, I am calling bull****, as is everyone else it seems.
In all honesty, if you are just expecting to be "handed" a job, you really don't deserve to be a pharmacist or possess a doctorate. You have to work for what you obtain. Hard work and dedication will attract the attention of potential employers than whining about how there is "no jobs" and so on. Trust me, the first part of this post is not because I sit on my butt and complain.

Last edited:

what about people who have issues such as, taking care of a family, health problems, or, *gasp* are at the bottom of their pharmacy school class but were admitted because the adcoms thought they would make great pharmacists (maybe due to dedication, personality, experience, etc). They're just out their $150k for nothing? ( i dont think so, i think the market is better than the general tone of SDN indicates, but lets go with the idea of massive deterioration of the job market for this post)

Just saying is all. It's not possible for most students to be in the top 10% or find and work *good* intern jobs during school.

I'm in agreement that those at the top have nothing to worry about, but there are a lot of people out there who could/would make just as good of pharmacists but perhaps do not have the time to claw tooth and nail for that top spot in the class or maybe cant find intern jobs due to economic conditions (or raising their kids for example). It's sad for them because they would probably make better pharmacists than people who went into it for $$ reasons alone.

I went into pharmacy purely for personal reasons. I can support myself just fine on 30-40k a year but am pursuing pharmacy (nuclear) primarily because it's what i like to DO (repetitive physical tasks mixed with personal service and communication elements, problem solving and working with some cool technology), not because I am seeking a financial return. Some people enter into the career choosing process with an eye towards making an investment decision (payoff, return on money spent etc), but dont consider the impact of whether they will enjoy the career or not. The best situation is to do a little of both, but, it is still sad that good pharmacists will probably be squeezed out of the market.

Ex: atm, it is VERY difficult to get an intern job even with a killer resume and interviewing skills.. So what happens to that large chunk of pharmacy students that can't get one for whatever reason, or dont have a good enough resume to get the few that are available.. Are they just doomed?? (no i do not think so, but making statements like , "just be at the top of your class and get the great intern experience etc, and if you dont you're screwed" can come off as being a little mean.

Example, one of my pharmacy school acquaintances is raising her kids and is achieving decent grades despite it (not top of the class , probably not enough for residency) and will make a great pharmacist. Unfortunately due to the hiring climate, it's been impossible for her to get any intern experience. Myself, ive been dealing with some health issues that have prevented my job search and grades from going as well as they could have. When people in my class were applying for pharmacy school, the job market was looking pretty good in the long run (tight but not disaster), so you can't say they made stupid choices.

A few things that might end up happening due to the market and the job situation:

1. People like myself, who would be satisfied with any amount of personal income, maybe get out of the profession following pharmacy school and take a different job, despite having wanted to become a pharmacist (i knew this was a possibility and applied for school because I felt it would be an enjoyable use of my time and the government's money to learn about a subject that interested me). This would be sad for the profession to lose potentially great pharmacists.

2. On the other hand, maybe we'll have some people who are gunners (got jobs , say, with walgreens in a metro area) and went into it for the money only. Maybe the work environment due to the job market and the economy (ie: workers being worked to the bone), will make THEM leave pharmacy, creating openings for people who are more willing to tolerate the work environment because they actually WANTED to become pharmacists. This'd probably be good for the profession cause more people who actually want to work as pharmacists would be hired vs people just in it for the money.

Sorry for rambling. It'd just be nice if in the future , people use a softer tone when they're saying (oh, just win the entire thing and be the best person at the top of your class, everyone else is screwed/2nd class citizens). There are a lot of real people, nice people, who are working very hard out there , who would make great pharmacists, yet for whatever circumstances, being the grade A gunner/ top grades/residency placement/top internships isnt in the cards for them. It's not necessarily because they're lazy.

Last edited:
Maybe I should learn french and go to Canada.

Nah don't bother, except for Quebec. I have several Canadian friends that know this. They came all the way to AU just to study this god blessed-to-be-damned FARMacy!

Who in their right mind would wanna learn a useless backward outdated European language?!

what about people who have issues such as, taking care of a family, health problems, or, *gasp* are at the bottom of their pharmacy school class but were admitted because the adcoms thought they would make great pharmacists (maybe due to dedication, personality, experience, etc). They're just out their $150k for nothing? ( i dont think so, i think the market is better than the general tone of SDN indicates, but lets go with the idea of massive deterioration of the job market for this post)

Just saying is all. It's not possible for most students to be in the top 10% or find and work *good* intern jobs during school.

I'm in agreement that those at the top have nothing to worry about, but there are a lot of people out there who could/would make just as good of pharmacists but perhaps do not have the time to claw tooth and nail for that top spot in the class or maybe cant find intern jobs due to economic conditions (or raising their kids for example). It's sad for them because they would probably make better pharmacists than people who went into it for $$ reasons alone.

I went into pharmacy purely for personal reasons. I can support myself just fine on 30-40k a year but am pursuing pharmacy (nuclear) primarily because it's what i like to DO (repetitive physical tasks mixed with personal service and communication elements, problem solving and working with some cool technology), not because I am seeking a financial return. Some people enter into the career choosing process with an eye towards making an investment decision (payoff, return on money spent etc), but dont consider the impact of whether they will enjoy the career or not. The best situation is to do a little of both, but, it is still sad that good pharmacists will probably be squeezed out of the market.

Ex: atm, it is VERY difficult to get an intern job even with a killer resume and interviewing skills.. So what happens to that large chunk of pharmacy students that can't get one for whatever reason, or dont have a good enough resume to get the few that are available.. Are they just doomed?? (no i do not think so, but making statements like , "just be at the top of your class and get the great intern experience etc, and if you dont you're screwed" can come off as being a little mean.

Example, one of my pharmacy school acquaintances is raising her kids and is achieving decent grades despite it (not top of the class , probably not enough for residency) and will make a great pharmacist. Unfortunately due to the hiring climate, it's been impossible for her to get any intern experience. Myself, ive been dealing with some health issues that have prevented my job search and grades from going as well as they could have. When people in my class were applying for pharmacy school, the job market was looking pretty good in the long run (tight but not disaster), so you can't say they made stupid choices.

A few things that might end up happening due to the market and the job situation:

1. People like myself, who would be satisfied with any amount of personal income, maybe get out of the profession following pharmacy school and take a different job, despite having wanted to become a pharmacist (i knew this was a possibility and applied for school because I felt it would be an enjoyable use of my time and the government's money to learn about a subject that interested me). This would be sad for the profession to lose potentially great pharmacists.

2. On the other hand, maybe we'll have some people who are gunners (got jobs , say, with walgreens in a metro area) and went into it for the money only. Maybe the work environment due to the job market and the economy (ie: workers being worked to the bone), will make THEM leave pharmacy, creating openings for people who are more willing to tolerate the work environment because they actually WANTED to become pharmacists. This'd probably be good for the profession cause more people who actually want to work as pharmacists would be hired vs people just in it for the money.

Sorry for rambling. It'd just be nice if in the future , people use a softer tone when they're saying (oh, just win the entire thing and be the best person at the top of your class, everyone else is screwed/2nd class citizens). There are a lot of real people, nice people, who are working very hard out there , who would make great pharmacists, yet for whatever circumstances, being the grade A gunner/ top grades/residency placement/top internships isnt in the cards for them. It's not necessarily because they're lazy.

Unfortunately, life isn't fair, and not everybody's situations are on a level playing field. Ignoring that and saying "oh that's mean" or "oh they'd make just as good pharmacists!" are irrelevant points. Life is life, and you deal with the cards you are dealt, and if those cards don't put you at an advantage, that sucks and I feel for you, but, like I said, that's just life.

You have people that are "smart", but don't work hard.
You have people that aren't super "smart", but work their asses off.
And then you have people that are both "smart" and work their asses off.
Just making a point that trying your best isn't always going to be good enough when you are up against people that are at an advantage to you and this should be considered when thinking about going into pharmacy nowadays.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but it's just the way I see it.

Luckily, you people, like dazzled, put their GPAs on display in their signatures (which I don't quite understand since no ones around here is that spectacular). You have a 3.5 something in science? Sorry to disappoint you, but if your only way of getting a job is going to be graduating at the top of you class, "and fight tooth and nail"(whatever that means), you are wrong.

Those of us who feel the need to excel and who go out of our way to challenge ourselves will be just fine.
No you won't.

With that low of a GPA rolling into pharm school you are going to drop like a rock. My class has around 60 seats. Between positions 11 and 45 there is a .02 difference in GPAs. I can guarantee you that the people at the top of my class were not rolling a lousy 3.5 when they came into pharm school.

Posted by Benelli: Can't say I believe the OP. I have spent a whole year and a half working in various pharmacies and already have 3 job offers for when I graduate. Heck, I am not even in pharmacy school yet. So, I am calling bull****, as is everyone else it seems.
In all honesty, if you are just expecting to be "handed" a job, you really don't deserve to be a pharmacist or possess a doctorate. You have to work for what you obtain. Hard work and dedication will attract the attention of potential employers than whining about how there is "no jobs" and so on. Trust me, the first part of this post is not because I sit on my butt and complain.
Look. Obviously there are a few jobs. Obviously some people will find something. But, my point is, in case you don't understand, which obviously you don't, that pharmacy is become saturated and jobs are going to become progressively harder to find/get. With the number of schools continuing to open up you cannot refute this. My argument is simple supply and demand. And yours is what....
...hard work and dedication will attract the attention of potential employers...
... there will be no hiring no matter how hard you work so long as there no jobs to be filled. If you are not even in pharm school yet you can kiss those jobs good bye. Everyone in my class and the thousands of other grads coming up will be looking for those jobs. We will find them, relocate, and take them- IF WE ARE LUCKY. If you are not even in pharm school yet you have a minimum of 4 more years. You don't think that the 40 school opening between 2009-2011 with their additional 4000 students being added to the workforce on top of all the already graduating classes is going to affect you? Consider you have at least 4-5 years before graduation. Around 40-50k pharmacists aren't going to be prying for those jobs? Think again. Stop being naive.

All this hard work talk just blows my mind. All you pre pharm think that pharm school is just going to be your playground to show yourself off? No, you get put through the ringer and everyone becomes equalized. Get over it. You don't know because you are not there. Hard work is not going to get you a job in a jobless market. Your arguments have no basis except your naive thoughts and impressions. I thought I was done responding to this article, but it's just becoming too hilarious not to. All you kids with your not-so-hot GPAs talking about dominating pharm school... HA...HA...HA

In my opinion, people get into pharmacy school after a great deal of hardwork - prerequisite coursework, PCAT, work experience and so on. In addition they are interviewed. So before one enters a pharm school one undergoes various screening process. I believe that a person getting admitted after all this rigorous obstacles is infact a smart plus a hardworking person. A lazy and unmotivated person can't get into a pharmacy school. Further, once you get into a pharm school, even if you make just a passing grade, I don't think we can call that person lazy! A mere passing grade in pharm school itself requires a lot of hard work. Finally you have to become a registered pharmacist and that requires you pass an exam. After the pharm school if one can pass this exam, one is definitely a good pharmacist (at least by the board of pharmacy)! So in my opinion it is unfair to call a person a bad pharmacist or lazy pharmacist if he/she does not get top grades in the class.
My concern is what should the pharmacy students who don't make top grades do?

By the time I graduate I'm just going to walk into the pharmacy Fauxden is working at and offer my services for 1 dollar less that he's working for and these profit driven pill sweat shops will jump right at it. But O' no, I only have a 3.6- what a lowly gpa.

By the time I graduate I'm just going to walk into the pharmacy Fauxden is working at and offer my services for 1 dollar less that he's working for and these profit driven pill sweat shops will jump right at it. But O' no, I only have a 3.6- what a lowly gpa.
Dont worry samus all of these new schools opening up will play to your advantage with your lowly GPA. They will accept anybody as long as you are willing to fork over 40k plus a year. From the sounds of it you are so willing to work for nothing so money doesnt matter to you. Jump on in and enjoy the debt. Dont worry though establishing yourself will make a big difference. Have you ever even asked a recruiter how important grades are to them when they hire? I guess not since your not in pharm school yet and havent talked to any of them. Let me enlighten you.. they dont care about your pharm grades its all about your personality. After all we are all doctors...