If you have not yet done this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed, athletes get paid a disgusting amount of money.

When they closed the steel mills in pittsburgh and there were unemployed men drinking everyday, the multiple championship wins of pittsburgh teams during that time made a world of difference.

Not to mention, athletes don't have the same amount of "working years" we do. Their bodies wear out, they get injured, or become disabled.

Agreed they get paid an obscene amount but I'd say the amount spent on advertising during various championship games is more wasteful. That's just my opinion, though.

Last edited:
I suppose you're right, but pride to a city is not worth hundreds of millions of dollars, in my opinion. I mean, there's bench players that never see the playing field or court that make a million dollars or more. Which is more than a brain surgeon or oncologist and I think being happy and healthy is more important than winning a sports championship.

I don't think A-Rod needs to get paid thousands of dollars per at-bat for example.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose you're right, but pride to a city is not worth hundreds of millions of dollars, in my opinion. I mean, there's bench players that never see the playing field or court that make a million dollars or more. Which is more than a brain surgeon or oncologist and I think being happy and healthy is more important than winning a sports championship.

I don't think A-Rod needs to get paid thousands of dollars per at-bat for example.

It's all supply and demand. There are thousands of surgeons and oncologists but only one A-Rod (which is a good thing TBH). Plus there are millions of athletes who make low-six figures for a few years, then bam they're out of the league with nothing. Trying to be a professional athlete is rough, we see only the glory but we don't see those who fail nor do we see the aftermath (I think around 50% of all NBA players are broke a few years after they're done with the game).

It's all supply and demand. There are thousands of surgeons and oncologists but only one A-Rod (which is a good thing TBH). Plus there are millions of athletes who make low-six figures for a few years, then bam they're out of the league with nothing. Trying to be a professional athlete is rough, we see only the glory but we don't see those who fail nor do we see the aftermath (I think around 50% of all NBA players are broke a few years after they're done with the game).

Wise beyond your years, friend.

I agree with some of your points, that is true there's only one A-Rod. But there's also only one top oncologist in the world. The only reason more people know about A-Rod is because of today's media obsessed with entertainment and tragedy. Not many players making it for more than a couple years though I agree with. The ones that do though get paid way too much.

A loose comparison but here we go....

http://health.usnews.com/top-doctors/directory/best-oncologists

This directory contains 2,900+ top oncologists, there are only about 750 players in MLB at any given time. How many patient's do these oncologists see daily, 10? That is 7.5 million patients a year, if each patient is a new patient. MLB has 2430 games with an avg attendance of 20,000 spectators. That means MLB entertains 48.6 million people each year (actually close to 70 million total though)....that does not count TV peoples.

It is obvious that a fewer number of MLB employees provide a greater (numbers-wise) service than the top 3,000 oncologists. These professional sports stars bring in too much money to their companies to get paid much much less.

Now, which one is more important is a much different argument.

Good point, you're right that sports definitely brings in more money than any other form of entertainment (that or gambling). In that respect they do deserve to be paid accordingly.

Yes which one is more important is a different argument, so lets just agree to disagree

Good point, you're right that sports definitely brings in more money than any other form of entertainment (that or gambling). In that respect they do deserve to be paid accordingly.

Yes which one is more important is a different argument, so lets just agree to disagree

Sport is rigged in the US. Athletics are just actors/actresses too.

In that terrible time, pride was invaluable.

There is something to be said about the camaraderie that sports incites. Anyone who lives in a college town can attest to the connectedness one feels with his/her community over it. It's one thing that brings people, who may not ever hang out otherwise, together. I mean, one of the best things is being downtown when the Cats shred apart the Sun Devils. You've got kids singing the fight song in the middle of the bar. :p:D

You should stop pursuing a career in pharmacy. The field is completely saturated. I'm a p2 right now. My buddies ahead of me that are p3 and p4s have no job opportunities. If you don't think I'm telling the truth do your research. The old numbers of pharmacists always being in demand are no longer accurate. Pharmacy is the next physical therapy. They were making 70 out of school, they built tons of schools, flooded the market, and now they make in the 40's. Think about this and don't just think ' oh it will work out'...really consider what you are doing. I'm saying this to protect the rest of you from heading into pointless debt and a waste of education/time. We had a pharmacy job fair this year and we had students that had ALREADY graduated coming back to try and find jobs. We are screwed. Don't let the schools fill you full of BS saying that the baby boomer will all retire and this and that. The field is saturated. Get over it. The ship has sailed. We are too late. Don't let people fill your minds with gum drops and bonuses. Those days are long gone.

you have no right to tell us (or at least me) not to do what I want to do.
Do you even know what i'm going to do with PharmD degree?

I'm going to go back to the US army or other military branches as a pharmacist to serve the country and give back what i've got from uncle Sam. While you were sitting at the couch watching TV with popcorn and coke, i volunteered my time, risked my life to join US army during wartime.

Please, don't discourage other people. Forgive me if I were rude to you. And excuse myself if I offend anyone reading this. If so, i'll definitely delete my post.

Last edited:
You know.... Like gollum.

It's just someone who is looking to start trouble in a thread.

Incorrect definition of a troll. A troll is someone who knows they're wrong but keeps stating the same opinion trying to instigate people, not JUST try to cause trouble.

Incorrect definition of a troll. A troll is someone who knows they're wrong but keeps stating the same opinion trying to instigate people, not JUST try to cause trouble.

So they are still looking to start trouble......