If you have not yet done this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fauxden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should stop pursuing a career in pharmacy. The field is completely saturated. I'm a p2 right now. My buddies ahead of me that are p3 and p4s have no job opportunities. If you don't think I'm telling the truth do your research. The old numbers of pharmacists always being in demand are no longer accurate. Pharmacy is the next physical therapy. They were making 70 out of school, they built tons of schools, flooded the market, and now they make in the 40's. Think about this and don't just think ' oh it will work out'...really consider what you are doing. I'm saying this to protect the rest of you from heading into pointless debt and a waste of education/time. We had a pharmacy job fair this year and we had students that had ALREADY graduated coming back to try and find jobs. We are screwed. Don't let the schools fill you full of BS saying that the baby boomer will all retire and this and that. The field is saturated. Get over it. The ship has sailed. We are too late. Don't let people fill your minds with gum drops and bonuses. Those days are long gone.

Members don't see this ad.

You should stop pursuing a career in pharmacy. The field is completely saturated. I'm a p2 right now. My buddies ahead of me that are p3 and p4s have no job opportunities. If you don't think I'm telling the truth do your research. The old numbers of pharmacists always being in demand are no longer accurate. Pharmacy is the next physical therapy. They were making 70 out of school, they built tons of schools, flooded the market, and now they make in the 40's. Think about this and don't just think ' oh it will work out'...really consider what you are doing. I'm saying this to protect the rest of you from heading into pointless debt and a waste of education/time. We had a pharmacy job fair this year and we had students that had ALREADY graduated coming back to try and find jobs. We are screwed. Don't let the schools fill you full of BS saying that the baby boomer will all retire and this and that. The field is saturated. Get over it. The ship has sailed. We are too late. Don't let people fill your minds with gum drops and bonuses. Those days are long gone.

:yawn: --> :sleep:

So your a p2 and a pharmacist? There goes your credibility to me. There is a HUGE demand for pharmacists and I can't wait for a 10,000 sign on bonuses and tuition reimbursement. Should I give you ($) 99,998 more reasons?

Members don't see this ad :)

Not this chit again.

Yes, everyone, the sky is falling. Run for your lives.

The quick reply of you all is impressive, as is your ignorance.

Nevermind...

Last edited:
The quick reply of you all is impressive, as is your ignorance.

I am in a better position than you to know the job market, and while it is becoming saturated, I'm tired of people like you creating all of these doom and gloom threads. Some people don't do this for money, which is hard for you to wrap your materialistic little mind around, apparently.

Ignorant, no. Tired of posters like you....yes.

Samus2008 your response shows that you are either not in pharmacy school yet and are living a fairy tale or that you go to a school in arkansas or some other place where no one wants to live. The evidence is out there and the sad truth is that there has been way too many schools open over the last ten years. The sign-on bonuses are gone and so are the jobs. Whomever promised you $10,000 dollars and tuition reimbursement obviously wasnt really working for a pharmacy. I have talked to plenty of recruiters over the last year and they all say that they are NOT hiring and especially not giving you a sign on bonus if they have a position available. So my question is which company is giving you these promises so that I can get on with them!

You and everyone else that doesnt have a job...

I am in a better position than you to know the job market, and while it is becoming saturated, I'm tired of people like you creating all of these doom and gloom threads. Some people don't do this for money, which is hard for you to wrap your materialistic little mind around, apparently.

Ignorant, no. Tired of posters like you....yes.

Haha...you're in a better position then me? Are you a p3...yeah, you are SOLID..

And I love the assumptions you made about me based on my post. As far as money goes--- yeah...its logical to go into debt for a field that wont reap the benefits required to justify the time/money put into it.

super-cool-story-bro.png

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sick of the sky is falling on EVERY job profession. GOD maybe I should just not work and take Obama handouts!? I swear every job I can think of I have been talked out of. Fauxden why don't you become part of the solution and drop out. No, you'll stay (you know you will) and then just keep on bitching.

:corny:

If it's as bad as you say, then why don't you quit school and go do something else? Since you won't be able to get a job after you graduate, what's the point of going to school for another 2 1/2 years???

I can't wait to start pharmacy school...

If it's as bad as you say, then why don't you quit school and go do something else? Since you won't be able to get a job after you graduate, what's the point of going to school for another 2 1/2 years???

I can't wait to start pharmacy school...

:thumbup:

Oh my god, why didn't somebody tell me sooner???

Why do I have a feeling people post this kind of **** to get people to stop applying for their own amusement/gain etc.?

I think the purpose in this post is to warn all those in prepharm that it is a bad road to go down and get out. It is pretty obvious that after all your prereqs and two years of pharm school you are pretty committed and it would be pointless to get out. I am currently in my second year and can assure you that if someone had told me this while I was in my undergrad I would have looked into PA school or something else. However, they didnt and I was filled with all the BS that everyone else was about it being the greatest profession with a huge demand for pharmacists. Oh and I wont gain anything from you dropping out. I graduate before you and will be fighting with a couple thousand other students to get a job before you start pharm school.

Realistically, does a pharmacist NEED a sign-on bonus? One works for approximately 40 years; is that 10k really going to affect anyone's life in the long run? No.

And the whole "areas where no one wants to live" thing is quite subjective. I might be one of the few, but I'm not that fond of NYC. Its a nice area to live in, but it's not like I wouldn't relocate for a job. The only perk to it is the plethora of 24-hr stores. :D

Realistically, does a pharmacist NEED a sign-on bonus? One works for approximately 40 years; is that 10k really going to affect anyone's life in the long run? No.

And the whole "areas where no one wants to live" thing is quite subjective. I might be one of the few, but I'm not that fond of NYC. Its a nice area to live in, but it's not like I wouldn't relocate for a job. The only perk to it is the plethora of 24-hr stores. :D

Realistically, does anyone really NEED a sign-on bonus? What an odd question.

+pity+ Guess we should all just switch to PA school...

Lamest thread ever. You should be more worried about Skynet becoming self-aware and the robots ruling the globe. Why? Because that's a more likely scenario.

I showed this thread to 8 pharmacists at the pharmacy where I work today to see what they thought about it. Some of them were younger, some older, most had worked several diff. pharmacy jobs around the country before ending up at the VA clinic. The general consensus from them was that if you want to work for say a big chain/in a big city/ or even both, that chances aren't that great for getting exactly what you want, and that there are always jobs further from big popular cities etc... but even still, there will always be a job somewhere, and likely several to choose from. I don't think there is reason to be fatalistic. There is no job where you simply cannot get hired.

Some people just generally prefer to be pessimistic, my advice is stay away from them, they are going nowhere because they like it that way.

I think the purpose in this post is to warn all those in prepharm that it is a bad road to go down and get out. It is pretty obvious that after all your prereqs and two years of pharm school you are pretty committed and it would be pointless to get out. I am currently in my second year and can assure you that if someone had told me this while I was in my undergrad I would have looked into PA school or something else. However, they didnt and I was filled with all the BS that everyone else was about it being the greatest profession with a huge demand for pharmacists. Oh and I wont gain anything from you dropping out. I graduate before you and will be fighting with a couple thousand other students to get a job before you start pharm school.
You found out something in life was a little too good to be true? Why is that so surprising you??

This thread is a joke. You all sound like a bunch of little kids who just realized Santa Clause wasn't real.

You found out something in life was a little too good to be true? Why is that so surprising you??

This thread is a joke. You all sound like a bunch of little kids who just realized Santa Clause wasn't real.

seriously.

Soo many people like coming on here trying to scare people, I think it makes them feel powerful

There are also opportunities that you build up before pharmacy school. I work at an independent pharmacy currently, and they have actually told me that I have a job if I want to come back after pharmacy school.

I still think, and for the years to come, that the outlooks is still good but probably due to the influx of pharm schools opening and and all that other stuff people are fearing that there won't be any job opportunities anymore. I asked my DoP how hat he thought about it also and he said when he first became a pharmacist he had about 12 offers from different companies (he did a residency) back around a decade or so ago. Now pharm students graduating that I know of tell me they only received like 2-3 offers. I think people feel that they are expecting too much for the profession, or in fact any medical profession right now. The economy is still at a downhill and may take a couple more years for it to go back up.

If this is such a lame thread than why are you even reading it? The fact that you are trying so hard to defend your fairy tale is reason enough to show that you are concerned. Numbers dont lie. I am sure there are a few jobs currently available but there most certainly are not enough to support 100,000 plus new pharmacists graduating every year.

100,000?? Link me to that fact please? lol o_0

If this is such a lame thread than why are you even reading it? The fact that you are trying so hard to defend your fairy tale is reason enough to show that you are concerned. Numbers dont lie. I am sure there are a few jobs currently available but there most certainly are not enough to support 100,000 plus new pharmacists graduating every year.

Okay, now you're just trolling.

100,000 students every year? There's like 120 pharm schools in the nation. Let's say for the sake of argument, 150. Each of these schools has maybe 200 in their class, so about 50 people in their fourth year? but let's just say for argument's sake again, there's 100 in every graduating class. You'd still only have 15k.

You best look at your "numbers."

Maybe the job market is shrinking. But I'm not gonna believe it from you.

I used to be one of the doom-n- gloomers myself until i realized that a lot of the people complaining about the future of pharmacy never did anything in pharm school to set themselves apart (few if any extra-currics, no internships, no research, and/or low GPA). Many had their eyes set on the big bucks of retail early '90s and would consider nothing else. Now that retail is getting more competitive, the sky is falling!!!!!! Sorry but there are sooooo many other things you can do with a pharm.D other than working at CVS and if you didn't consider a future outside of retail, who's fault is that?

I think most people going into pharmacy now know its going to competitive and are preparing for it. The naive students who see only the dollar signs and have the mentality that "C's get degress" are the ones who will be jobless.

Ok, so what if you have your phd in pharm Sci and your pharmD?- this is my goal. plus the idea of working at walgreens makes me cringe!

I think everyone needs to broaden they're horizons a tad more! but thanks for the daunting advice

Ok, so what if you have your phd in pharm Sci and your pharmD?- this is my goal. plus the idea of working at walgreens makes me cringe!

I think everyone needs to broaden they're horizons a tad more! but thanks for the daunting advice

Exactly, I believe the saturation will make people step it up. I'm not worried at all, I welcome the challenge. :smuggrin:

I'm not defending a fairy tail because unlike you and op, I'm not going into Pharmacy School with unrealistic presuppositions of what life will be like when I get out. To think that pharmacy is a field completely unique from most other fields is incredibly naive. Of course there will be saturation in some places to some degree but to tell people to write off their entire careers because of it is :thumbdown:

Last edited:
There are also opportunities that you build up before pharmacy school. I work at an independent pharmacy currently, and they have actually told me that I have a job if I want to come back after pharmacy school.

This is called networking... The people from my class that didn't, surprise surprise, didn't have jobs when they graduated. I would say nearly half of my class lined up more than one offer. The other half lined up none. At our commencement they mentioned where everyone was going. About a third still had no job.

Bottom line... You will have to work to get your dream job, which isn't a bad thing. So far, I couldn't be happier with where I ended up.

My apologies I added an extra 0 that was unintentional. My calculations were based off 100+ schools pumping out 100+ students a year. Which is far more pharmacist then the nation will ever need. Thanks for all the crazy replies they were much deserved. I would have done the same thing.

Like any other career, in some areas of the country, pharmacy is impacted, in others it's still booming. Areas like Florida where there are pharm schools popping up what seems to be every five minutes are obviously going to be more difficult to find jobs in. God forbid you should have to relocate to get a job! Or even make sure the school you are going/applying to is in an area that isn't already over saturated. If the profession does increase in saturation overall, I think that the program you got your Pharm.D from is going to matter more and more, so that's another thing to think about to help secure your future.

You want some real info from TODAY?

I had a phone interview for a job in Logan, WV. Look at how isolated that town is...Google map it up. Dude told me, "I have several more candidates to interview for the position this week. I'll get back in contact with the top 3 or 4 by early next week and we'll go from there."

Logan ****ing West Virginia. At least like 5 people interviewing for the job...the way he made it sound, I'd guess 7 or 8.

:eek:

The Eastern part of the country is RIDICULOUS right now.

I TOLD YOU...:soexcited:

Heaven forbid students in pharmacy school have to try to get the highest credentials possible due to competitiveness of the field. Maybe it's really the days are over where ANYONE could become a pharmacist, and now you have to be extremely qualified.

Recently opened pharmacy schools and their accreditation status:
Belmont TN -------------------------------Pre-Candidate
Calilfornia Northstate CA -------------------Pre-Candidate
Charleston WV---------------------------- Candidate
Chicago State IL --------------------------Pre-Candidate
East Tennessee State TN ------------------Candidate
Findlay OH --------------------------------Candidate
Harding, University of AR -------------------Pre-Candidate
Hawaii at Hilo HI ---------------------------Candidate
Incarnate Word TX ------------------------Candidate
Lipscomb TN ------------------------------Pre-Candidate
NEOUCOP OH ------------------------------Candidate
Pacific U. (OR) OR -------------------------Candidate
Southern Illinois Edwardsville IL -------------Candidate
Sullivan *** KY ----------------------------PreCandidate
Texas A&M - Kingsville TX -------------------Candidate
Thomas Jefferson *** PA------------------- Pre-Candidate
Touro (CA) CA -----------------------------Candidate
Touro (NY) NY -----------------------------Pre-Candidate
Union TN ----------------------------------Pre-Candidate
Here are a list of schools that may open in the near future:
Possible schools for 2011
Central California SOP- private stand-alone no university affiliation
Samual Merrit (#10 in CA)
St. Joseph College, CT
Roosevelt University, Chicago
Univerity of NC Greensboro
Possible schools opening 2010
The University of Maryland Eastern Shores
Drexel
Farleigh Dickinson
D' Youville College
Concordia-Wisconsin-projects a class size of 300.
Presbyterian College-NC
University of South Florida
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Schools opening 2009
Husson University
New England, University of ME
Notre Dame of Maryland
Regis University

Ah man. I had no idea. NONE. Guess I'll pack it in.

My neighbor is a cardiac surgeon at a major academic medical center (if I told you the name, you'd recognize it). At Thanksgiving dinner, he expressed concern over how long he would have a job. It really is this bad everywhere, not just pharmacy.

Recently opened pharmacy schools and their accreditation status:
Belmont TN -------------------------------Pre-Candidate
Calilfornia Northstate CA -------------------Pre-Candidate
Charleston WV---------------------------- Candidate
Chicago State IL --------------------------Pre-Candidate
East Tennessee State TN ------------------Candidate
Findlay OH --------------------------------Candidate
Harding, University of AR -------------------Pre-Candidate
Hawaii at Hilo HI ---------------------------Candidate
Incarnate Word TX ------------------------Candidate
Lipscomb TN ------------------------------Pre-Candidate
NEOUCOP OH ------------------------------Candidate
Pacific U. (OR) OR -------------------------Candidate
Southern Illinois Edwardsville IL -------------Candidate
Sullivan *** KY ----------------------------PreCandidate
Texas A&M - Kingsville TX -------------------Candidate
Thomas Jefferson *** PA------------------- Pre-Candidate
Touro (CA) CA -----------------------------Candidate
Touro (NY) NY -----------------------------Pre-Candidate
Union TN ----------------------------------Pre-Candidate
Here are a list of schools that may open in the near future:
Possible schools for 2011
Central California SOP- private stand-alone no university affiliation
Samual Merrit (#10 in CA)
St. Joseph College, CT
Roosevelt University, Chicago
Univerity of NC Greensboro
Possible schools opening 2010
The University of Maryland Eastern Shores
Drexel
Farleigh Dickinson
D' Youville College
Concordia-Wisconsin-projects a class size of 300.
Presbyterian College-NC
University of South Florida
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Schools opening 2009
Husson University
New England, University of ME
Notre Dame of Maryland
Regis University
Wow if that is not proof I dont know what is. But all you nay sayers are right there are plenty of jobs out there and the market is not over saturated at all. Go on keep on applying to schools. Your jobless now and you will be when you graduate too... Oh goody!

Am I the only one who thinks fauxden and Gaston are the same person?

Wow if that is not proof I dont know what is. But all you nay sayers are right there are plenty of jobs out there and the market is not over saturated at all. Go on keep on applying to schools. Your jobless now and you will be when you graduate too... Oh goody!

:beat:

There's literally no one in this thread saying that jobs are plentiful and it's all sunshine and roses in the pharmacy field. Having to work harder and network to land a job =/= no jobs at all. If you're talented, you'll get ahead.

:beat:

There's literally no one in this thread saying that jobs are plentiful and it's all sunshine and roses in the pharmacy field. Having to work harder and network to land a job =/= no jobs at all. If you're talented, you'll get ahead.

That is literally the correct use of that word. :thumbup:

Edit: Funny link - http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally

I don't know if the job market is saturated or not...but I just feel nauseous when I see a thread like this, "University of..../class of ...." roll call posted up. Just too many schools!