If you took a year off to research during med school, how did it help you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The_Sunny_Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please explain what you gained from it, and if you would do it over again. Also, if you think your research/publications helped you during the Match, explain why you think so. Still going back and forth about whether it's the right decision for me. I would be relocating for a year, and financing most of the expenses out of pocket.

Members don't see this ad.

Please explain what you gained from it, and if you would do it over again. Also, if you think your research/publications helped you during the Match, explain why you think so. Still going back and forth about whether it's the right decision for me. I would be relocating for a year, and financing most of the expenses out of pocket.

What is your specialty of interest and career plan? In most cases, a research year isn't worth the time.

I almost did, last second I didn't. Lots of my friends from the trail did, and they got many "top tier" interviews as a result of the connections and interesting resaerch they did. However, its a big financial committment and if you have loans its a hard financial choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is your research year through one of the competitive funded fellowships? (i.e. HHMI, Sarnoff, etc)... If so, I've found that a lot of people who've taken funded research years tend to do very well in the match and get interviews at top programs in their field.

my question is whats all the talk about a research year being "mandatory to match" even for fields like derm

First of all, assess what specialty this is for. Surgical subspecialty, Derm, Rad Onc, etc ? Research tends to be valued higher than in other fields, bonus points if it’s specialty-specific.

Whether a year would help depends on your personal situation and goals. Knew you wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon since M1 and already have a few posters/papers by M3? Probably less necessary, even if you want to match at a top program (given the rest of your stats are solid, of course). Did not so hot on Step 1 but still want to match well in ENT? A strong research year can tip the balance in your favor a bit (assuming you are productive).

A research year doesn’t have to be just for short term gain (i.e. matching). If you’re interested in an academic career and are able to find a great mentor, it can pay dividends far beyond match day. Research years can also be nice to put the grind of med school on halt and get to do some fun things you might not have time for otherwise (e.g. travel on your free weekends).

An important note about a research year though - if you take one, you better damn well be productive during it. The expectations for having abstracts/posters/published manuscripts will be higher if you had a whole year to do it.

Reactions: 3 users
First of all, assess what specialty this is for. Surgical subspecialty, Derm, Rad Onc, etc ? Research tends to be valued higher than others

My new abbreviation for this RoDS.
Rad-Onc
Derm
Surgical Subspecialty

E-ROAD
Emergency
Radiology
Ophtho
Anesthesia
Derm

Still holds for fields with decent pay with some semblance of lifestyle

my question is whats all the talk about a research year being "mandatory to match" even for fields like derm

Research years aren't "mandatory"... yet, but for the very competitive fields this is becoming more and more popular, with a great number of students choosing to take a year off for research. The benefit is probably greatest if you want a top program, but even the low ranking programs still value applicants with research years and it's viewed as a significant asset.

I had several friends match into various competitive fields this year and they were estimating that 1/3 to 1/2 of interviewees they met had taken a research year. They couldn't believe how common it was.

Currently, I know tons of people who were productive with research during MS1-MS3 and matched just fine without taking research years, so we haven't arrived at the point where they are "mandatory"

However, I would bet that in 10-15 years research years could very well become "mandatory"

I did a year long research/clinical fellowship between M3 and M4. Worked at a private ophtho clinic with a big name in the field. No pay, but I took some loans to keep me afloat. Cranked out 4+ papers and presented at a national conference. I figured it was the best time to do it, just prior to M4 audition rotations and the Match. I also got a solid LOR out of it. It did wonders for my application. Turned up at all of my interviews. I think the name helped a lot, and I got time to do research and publish.

I did a year long research/clinical fellowship between M3 and M4. Worked at a private ophtho clinic with a big name in the field. No pay, but I took some loans to keep me afloat. Cranked out 4+ papers and presented at a national conference. I figured it was the best time to do it, just prior to M4 audition rotations and the Match. I also got a solid LOR out of it. It did wonders for my application. Turned up at all of my interviews. I think the name helped a lot, and I got time to do research and publish.

Did you match?

Rad-Onc
Derm
Surgical Subspecialty

E-ROAD
Emergency
Radiology
Ophtho
Anesthesia
Derm

Based on how competitive people say its inaugural match was, interventional radiology will have to be added to RoDS. May be better to just lump in all radiological specialties into the most competitive tier, since DR is still more competitive than anything that isn't derm or a surgical speciality, and it makes for an easier abbreviation. Or perhaps ROIDS: radiation (oncological or interventional), dermatology and surgical subspecialites.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can be productive years 1-3 you don't need to take a research year to match.

But say you want to do derm, and the average derm matched applicant had 12 publications, if you get those years 1-3 you're good. If you don't, and you're at 10, you're still good. If you're at 3, then maybe take a research year.

Also, good for those who want to match somewhere specific. Take the research year at that institution and make every connection you can in your department of interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on how competitive people say its inaugural match was, interventional radiology will have to be added to RoDS. May be better to just lump in all radiological specialties into the most competitive tier, since DR is still more competitive than anything that isn't derm or a surgical speciality, and it makes for an easier abbreviation. Or perhaps ROIDS: radiation (oncological or interventional), dermatology and surgical subspecialites.

Yasssssss ROIDSS

Why is rad onc so competitive? I thought the job market was awful

I'll be starting one next month for a surgical-sub. Upper class-men have done them for uber-competitive specialties (ortho, ENT, derm, uro) and usually matched well, but one guy didn't because his step was still too low for the sub he wanted (~220's). Most did it because they didn't want to end up in Oklahoma for 4-6 years (sorry Oklahoma...gotta keep it real).

Honestly, no one has told me they regret it. Their connections helped tremendously, got great LORs and produced research that was discussable. Two intangibles that people don't usually think about with a research year: a research year between M3-M4 shows dedication which impresses some people and it also gives you more context for why you want to go into a field, allowing you to discuss more during an interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Why is rad onc so competitive? I thought the job market was awful

Job market certainly saturated in the larger metropolitan areas, and in general it's tough to be picky even about what type of Rad Onc you want to do (Neuro, GU, Head&Neck, etc).

Nevertheless, high reimbursement and predictable schedule (no one gets radiation on the weekends...) is a big draw. Additionally, some people enjoy taking care of patients with cancer, are interested in the Rad Onc research opportunities, like the idea of anatomic treatment planning but don't want to be surgeons, etc.

I know this is against the grain buy my home program in competitive specialty was asked if research years help ,and they replied with: taking a year off to do research will not be held against you. Mind you this is not a higher tier program in that field.

Upper class-men have done them for uber-competitive specialties (ortho, ENT, derm, uro) and usually matched well, but one guy didn't because his step was still too low for the sub he wanted (~220's). Most did it because they didn't want to end up in Oklahoma for 4-6 years (sorry Oklahoma...gotta keep it real).
Lol, I understand the sentiment, but for ortho and ophtho at least (and probably others) Oklahoma is very well regarded.

Anesthesia really wants research? Not really something I’ve heard.

Rad-Onc
Derm
Surgical Subspecialty

E-ROAD
Emergency
Radiology
Ophtho
Anesthesia
Derm

same...didn't think EM, DR, or gas really care for research. I know IR and Rad onc do for subspecialities of radiology.

ROIDS (Rad-Onc/Inter., Derm, Surgical Subs) want research and top numbers.

E-ROAD affords a good lifestyle and good pay. They’re different.

ROIDS (Rad-Onc/Inter., Derm, Surgical Subs) want research and top numbers.

E-ROAD affords a good lifestyle and good pay. They’re different.

I’ve worked with and read about so many EM docs strongly disagreeing with good lifestyle being descriptive of their specialty. Constant circadian disruption well beyond residency years is what I’ve heard

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users