If you went to UW....(undergrad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D0CTORX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were admitted into the University of Washington, what would you major in?

I am having trouble deciding. I originally thought I wanted to do Accounting or Chemistry. But I really don't know.

What would you major in?

Members don't see this ad.

Major in whatever you are interested in that you can do well in. All majors have more or less equal rates of acceptance into medical school, so don't let that influence you. If you aren't absolutely certain that you want to go to medical school and can hack the work it takes to get there, you should choose a major that will lead to good employment prospects once you're done with college.

Major in something you actually enjoy (that will still earn you a job if medical school doesn't work out).

And if you decide eventually to double up: don't be like those people who only double-major because they think it will impress the adcoms. Only do it if you genuinely like both subjects.

Members don't see this ad :)
I double majored in Biochemistry and Cell Molecular Biology. I think the Biochem major gives you a great depth of knowledge and gives you the tools to be marketable in case you were to look for research jobs.... that is, if you're into that sort of thing.

UW is a pretty awesome school in general. Just take a wide variety of courses to see what you enjoy the most. Don't over-strategize just go with what you love (I graduated with a music degree there last year!) enjoy the school. :)

I went to UW for undergraduate. For reference, I did a double degree in Biochemistry and Biology (Emphasis: Physiology), with a Double Minor, one in Bioethics, the other in Chemistry.

Let me add on to that by saying that it is by no means necessary to compile that many credits / degrees. I had an interruption in my education that caused me to take time off of school. When I came back I challenged myself to take on the biochemistry major. I had already completed some of the Bio degree, and some of the Bioethics minor. With some great maneuvering, and lucking out with the time schedule, I was able to take the necessary classes to obtain my degrees. And I loved it.

But, I love science. I also love Bioethics. It helped that I had great teachers and good friends. However, it took me a while to find my niche.

What I believe is most important is that you look at all the options available to you and find what area you are truly interested in. Lots of people say pick a degree that will get you a job, but more importantly you should connect with people within your program. Because networking is ultimately more important than merely a degree. As an example, one can work to obtain a degree in engineering, and may lock down employment after school. However, that does not guarantee that one will enjoy their place of work or even have choices of where to work after school.

There's a lot to weigh in these decisions, but work hard in an area you enjoy. Get the necessary experiences to enter the field of your choice. And network, network, network.

Accounting and then take your med school prereqs, plus biochem. Accounting is fun and useful if you like math/logic. Plus it isn't that labor intensive so you can enjoy college.