If you were offered a seat at...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeRadicals

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were offered a seat at NYITCOM (7 year B.S./D.O.) would you take it? ( I am currently a high-school senior that was accepted here and debating whether I should go or not)

Requirements to remain in the program and then precede to NYIT's School of Osteopathic Medicine:
-Maintain 3.6 GPA and score 27 or higher on the MCAT
-Receive 2 Letters of Rec
-Go through an interview by the B.S./D.O. faculty

You can read more for background information here:
http://nyit.edu/arts_and_sciences/osteopathic_medicine_bsdo_admissions

Thank you - all feedback and input is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you were offered a seat at NYITCOM (7 year B.S./D.O.) would you take it? ( I am currently a high-school senior that was accepted here and debating whether or not to go)

Requirements to remain in the program and then precede to NYIT's School of Osteopathic Medicine:
-Maintain 3.6 GPA and score 27 or higher on the MCAT
-Receive 2 Letters of Rec
-Go through an interview by the B.S./D.O. faculty

You can read more for background information here:
http://nyit.edu/arts_and_sciences/osteopathic_medicine_bsdo_admissions

Thank you - all feedback and input is much appreciated.

If you get a 3.6 and equivalent score to 27 you would have a good shot at Nyit anyway. I would say don't bother.

Reactions: 2 users
If you get a 3.6 and equivalent score to 27 you would have a good shot at Nyit anyway. I would say don't bother.
Thanks a lot for the advice - it is 7 year though (so you basically save a year and many headaches of applying to other schools?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the advice - it is 7 year though (so you basically save a year and many headaches of applying to other schools?)

It isn't that big of a deal applying to other schools. NYIT com is also expensive so you might want to go elsewhere. What are you deciding between? Also to do it in 7 years you need to do 120 credits in 3 years. That sucks.

Reactions: 1 user
It isn't that big of a deal applying to other schools. NYIT com is also expensive so you might want to go elsewhere. What are you deciding between? Also to do it in 7 years you need to do 120 credits in 3 years. That sucks.

I am also considering a traditional Biology major at Hofstra University and StonyBrook University.

Btw its a 116 credit course in 3 years. Here's a semester map:
http://nyit.edu/files/advising/seme..._LifeSciencesOsteopathicMedicineBSDO_2015.pdf

I am also considering a traditional Biology major at Hofstra University and StonyBrook University.

Btw its a 116 credit course in 3 years. Here's a semester map:
http://nyit.edu/files/advising/seme..._LifeSciencesOsteopathicMedicineBSDO_2015.pdf

Stony Brook deflates grades (i heard). Not the best option. Hofstra is OK but not the greatest undergrad especially considering the price. NYIT undergrad stinks to be honest. What is the cheapest option? Have you visited the schools? What was your impression? I recommend going to a cheaper school that you like. I'm going to PM you some stuff.

I graduated at Stony Brook, I had a full scholarship, so it was free. I worked full time, and never attended class, and managed a 3.82 gpa, and 3.73 science gpa. I thought the science classes were hard, but fair. The beginning is a lot of weed out courses, but if you can handle that, its not bad. I honestly did not like the school for other reasons (commuting 40 minutes a day, and boring atmosphere, and practically doing everything on my own), but at the end of the day if your NY-state student, Stony Brook is very cheap comparatively and has an excellent reputation in NYS, to being one of the best SUNY schools. I reccomend you go here, you will get a good education, and be less in debt.

You have a shot. I'd say go for it if medicine is what you truly want to do. I know like 5-6 people doing these combined programs. They make you do some easy public healthish type major and sprinkle in your pre-reqs. it's really not that bad. You will be studying hard in undergrad anyway and atleast with this program you do have somewhat of a foot in the door if you nail a 3.6 and 27 MCAT.... which is doable.

Are you sure you want to do medicine??? The way the DO schools are popping up everywhere it's only a matter of time we are all stuck doing primary care, which I don't mind... but a lot of people are becoming disenchanted with it all anyway.

I say go for the option that allows you to major in something like computer science or anything with the tech field.. sprinkle in your pre-med prereqs incase you still wanna do medicine and that way you will have a fallback incase you change ur mind about medicine (which A LOT of freshman in college do).

Just my $0.02. Good luck bud.

Last edited:
You have a shot. I'd say go for it if medicine is what you truly want to do. I know like 5-6 people doing these combined programs. They make you do some easy public healthish type major and sprinkle in your pre-reqs. it's really not that bad. You will be studying hard in undergrad anyway and atleast with this program you do have somewhat of a foot in the door if you nail a 3.6 and 27 MCAT.... which is doable.

Are you sure you want to do medicine??? The way the DO schools are popping up everywhere it's only a matter of time we are all stuck doing primary care, which I don't mind... but a lot of people are becoming disenchanted with it all anyway.

I say go for the option that allows you to major in something like computer science or anything with the tech field.. sprinkle in your pre-med prereqs incase you still wanna do medicine and that way you will have a fallback incase you change ur mind about medicine (which A LOT of freshman in college do).

Just my $0.02. Good luck bud.

DOs aren't going to be limited to primary care especially those at schools like nycom.

I'd take the program if you know you want to do medicine. Having that ease of mind of knowing you're already accepted to a medical school is a great feeling. Also, NYIT is a good school AND you fall a year ahead.

a bird in the hand is better than not being a doctor

I'm in a 7 year bs/do program and I'd recommend it. Just the assurance and not having to stress over every little part of your medical school applications make it worth it (if you liked nyit). Also, the amount of money and time you save from only going to college three years is really nice! Good luck on your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why the ellipsis in the title? It's not like you were running out of characters.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only way I would take one of these pipeline programs is if it actually benefited me in some way -- like being able to skip the MCAT, or graduate with less hours. This program is basically saying "if you come to our undergrad, and take the normal number of credits in 3 years, and score above our med school matriculant averages for GPA and MCAT, we'll let you continue to give us money for 4 more years."

Personally I think med school should be offered as a 5 (or 6) year program after high school. The only legitimate reason I could possibly think of against it would be graduating a bunch of 22-23 year old doctors that may or may not have maturity issues.

I agree with the poster above me. Seems like there's nothing guaranteed here..I mean if you actually have a 3.6/27 and ECs, you will be competitive for most DO schools anyway.

a bird in the hand is better than not being a doctor
It's not even a bird in the hand though. It's a "we'll admit you to our medical school if you do well enough to get into medical school even without our admitting you." Plus what if OP gets a 33+ on their MCAT? Then they could be on-track for an MD school and much better residency options.

Don't be so fast to grow up. I went to undergrad for 4.5 years, and I wish it had been longer. There will always be time to make money...and if you're a doc...you'll be able to repay your loans.

BTW...why would anyone want to go to school in NY? The prices are insane for what you get. There are plenty of places just as fun...if not more fun...with better educations...and cheaper. Is it primarily New Yorkers who have no idea that a world exists outside of the boundaries of NY?

It's not even a bird in the hand though. It's a "we'll admit you to our medical school if you do well enough to get into medical school even without our admitting you." Plus what if OP gets a 33+ on their MCAT? Then they could be on-track for an MD school and much better residency options.
27/3.6 being an all but guaranteed slot is significantly better than rolling the dice with amcas/aacomas

27/3.6 being an all but guaranteed slot is significantly better than rolling the dice with amcas/aacomas
That's the floor for this program. They have to do that well or better, so chances are their stats will be higher- basically there's nowhere to go but up for them. And anywhere higher than those minimums gives them a solid shot at getting in somewhere, likely somewhere cheaper (important, considering NYIT's expensive undergraduate tuition...), and possibly even an MD school.

BTW...why would anyone want to go to school in NY? The prices are insane for what you get. There are plenty of places just as fun...if not more fun...with better educations...and cheaper. Is it primarily New Yorkers who have no idea that a world exists outside of the boundaries of NY?

I have yet to find any!

Sorry for my ignorance on this program specifically, but I'd be hesitant on a bs/do like this. It could be hard to keep a 3.6 if you're taking 20 credits a semester, and studying for the mcat. Also, if they are automatically giving you a seat in their med school if you do get above the required mcat and gpa then whats the point? Did you apply to other bs/do programs. There are ones with better benefits and lower requirements (3.5 gpa, lower mcat, or no mcat). Ones like PCOM, Nova, LECOM, and UNECOM come to mind.

I didn't apply to any other D.O. programs (the ones that are out-of-state start getting ridiculously pricey)