If you're gonna kill someone, do it SAFELY.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, you can let someone out of prison.

hell maybe we should just resurrect the wrongly dead

Members don't see this ad.

Our prisons are full of nonviolent offenders. There are plenty of people in prison just because they like to get high. Using the death penalty as a means to control the prison population seems a bit more immoral to me than using it for any other reason.

The US has 4.4% of the world's population but 22% of the world's prisoners. If you think that statistic exists because America has more naturally born criminals per capita then I've got a bridge to sell ya...

Maybe the prisons are too full because we're putting too many people in them.

Legalized weed alone would clear up some room.

You can remove all the drug related crimes prison and we would still have the most incarcerated in the world... I agree with legalizing weed but that's not the problem. The issue is we have a ton of rules breakers in this country and our legal system is garbage. Plenty of people are in jail waiting for trial cause it takes forever. My guess is this will all change when our country goes bankrupt

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get why they get all medical about this stuff. Firing squads worked just fine and don't require medical intervention or pharmaceuticals. Hell, we could just use high explosives or something if you're worried about someone suffering- hard to suffer when you're goo in a millisecond. Have twenty buttons that are all pressed simultaneously with one randomly set to active and boom, you've got yourself a guilt-free, efficient execution with zero FDA intervention. Our country really needs to either go all-in or all-out on the death penalty. Either it's fine or it's not to kill a criminal, and either we shouldn't be doing it or we should be doing it in the most efficient way possible, not the way that looks the most peaceful.

I think we should just go back to prison islands and do away with the death penalty, personally. Let them have a life and a society with everyone else who has been deemed unfit to return to the mainland with minimal intervention aside from extensive measures to keep them from leaving the island.

Reactions: 3 users
I am for legalized weed to help with prisons, but against it because I worry it makes it easier for people to not fulfill their life's goals. You can say it is not a gateway drug, etc but I believe it limits many things in your life.

So we are going to imprison people for not fulfilling their life goals? There goes half of SDN... especially those poor saps who start threads like "I only got 250 on STEP1, is anesthesia still a real possibility!?"

I was reading about the history of CABG which lead me to the Alexis Carrel (father of vascular surgery, Nobel prize winner) wiki page, which had the following lovely quote (among others) from a popular 1935 book he wrote. Made me think of this thread

"(t)he conditioning of petty criminals with the whip, or some more scientific procedure, followed by a short stay in hospital, would probably suffice to insure order. Those who have murdered, robbed while armed with automatic pistol or machine gun, kidnapped children, despoiled the poor of their savings, misled the public in important matters, should be humanely and economically disposed of in small euthanasic institutions supplied with proper gasses. A similar treatment could be advantageously applied to the insane, guilty of criminal acts."

The issue is we have a ton of rules breakers in this country

Even excluding drug law, have you considered for a moment that maybe some of our rules, but more importantly the associated penalties for breaking such rules, do not service justice? We live in a culture where unlike say Western Europe we only pay lip service to the notion of rehabilitation. We're obsessed with law and order, the unchallenged police state, three strike rules, mandatory minimums, denying released felons jobs, and we are content to ignore thousands of poor schmucks rotting away in prison for years for what morally could be considered misdemeanors...that is, of course, unless we happen to see one of them get lucky enough to make the regional news and have some non-profit pro bono jump to their defense. What's worse, we continue to ignore decades of data showing that crazy harsh sentences and maximum security prisons do not reduce recidivism.

So I ask you, is it really too many rule breakers that's the problem, or too many rules?

Reactions: 2 users
Even excluding drug law, have you considered for a moment that maybe some of our rules, but more importantly the associated penalties for breaking such rules, do not service justice? We live in a culture where unlike say Western Europe we only pay lip service to the notion of rehabilitation. We're obsessed with law and order, the unchallenged police state, three strike rules, mandatory minimums, denying released felons jobs, and we are content to ignore thousands of poor schmucks rotting away in prison for years for what morally could be considered misdemeanors...that is, of course, unless we happen to see one of them get lucky enough to make the regional news and have some non-profit pro bono jump to their defense. What's worse, we continue to ignore decades of data showing that crazy harsh sentences and maximum security prisons do not reduce recidivism.

So I ask you, is it really too many rule breakers that's the problem, or too many rules?

I mean it's a combination of both. Both can be drastically improved. As a country we have a very high drug use rate, and a very high homicide rate. We have almost FIVE times more homicides per 100k people than UK, and TWENTY times more than Japan. You can't blame those stats on too many rules. It really depends on who you compare to. If you compare to a country like China, our punishment may be lax compared to theirs, but yet we still have more prisoners by far. But yes I do agree with you that some punishments are too long for the severity.

We have so many people in prison because prison in this country is a business. Keep them killing/robbing with poverty, drug money and our ever-so important guns, then lock them up to generate fodder for the legal system and the prisons.

Dont get me wrong, some law breakers are terrible people that deserve death.

But lots are victims of mental illness/poverty/drug lawas/prison system combination

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I don't get why they get all medical about this stuff. Firing squads worked just fine and don't require medical intervention or pharmaceuticals. Hell, we could just use high explosives or something if you're worried about someone suffering- hard to suffer when you're goo in a millisecond. Have twenty buttons that are all pressed simultaneously with one randomly set to active and boom, you've got yourself a guilt-free, efficient execution with zero FDA intervention. Our country really needs to either go all-in or all-out on the death penalty. Either it's fine or it's not to kill a criminal, and either we shouldn't be doing it or we should be doing it in the most efficient way possible, not the way that looks the most peaceful.

I think we should just go back to prison islands and do away with the death penalty, personally. Let them have a life and a society with everyone else who has been deemed unfit to return to the mainland with minimal intervention aside from extensive measures to keep them from leaving the island.

Thats how you get australia