If you're member of a fraternity, should you put it on your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chudat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our fraternity as a whole, has done numerous volunteering, fundraisers, and other events that benefit the community. However, I was wondering if it's appropriate to list those activities as part of your overall community service on your application. Also, should you mention on your app that you're a member of a fraternity? Does being a member have any particular negative connotations?

Dan

Members don't see this ad.

Our fraternity as a whole, has done numerous volunteering, fundraisers, and other events that benefit the community. However, I was wondering if it's appropriate to list those activities as part of your overall community service on your application. Also, should you mention on your app that you're a member of a fraternity? Does being a member have any particular negative connotations?

Dan

Ok, here is the breakdown:

First, by putting that you were in a Fraternity can:
a) Elicit a positive reaction if the reviewer was in your fraternity OR was in the Greek system at all
b) Get a slightly negative reaction otherwise since there are many stigma's/connotations that go along with men's greek membership

so... what you need to do is make sure you can win over that person in catagory b) by making sure your explanation shows exactly what you did in the Fraternity that are also characteristics of a good doctor.

so yes, if your greek experience includes volonteering/fundraisers (especially if the money goes to some kind of medically related charity!) put that stuff down, talk a bit about your roles, and you should be fine. Personally, I left out the parts about any social event co-ordination (i.e. party planning in some peoples eyes)

I am certainlly no expert, but if your frat has done positive things then I would put it on my application. After all you may get lucky and have a former member of your frat on the interview team.

Members don't see this ad :)
I put the philanthropy stuff and leadership roles it into my application. Most of the interviewers just stayed away from that stuff, but one guy from DCOM was loving my **** becasue he was also in a fraternity. So they are probably thinking about the negative stuff, but never brought it up since I only listed the positive and leadership roles

I put my sorority on my application ( including relevant officer positions/committee appointments). Only one school brought it up, and it was in a positive context. I think it shows that you're well rounded and that you can balance your life and still be successful while having a...you know, life.

Definitely put it in, it didn't hurt me! What fraternity btw?

well the problem is that I did community service/volunteering with my frat, but I never ran for any office. Should I still put in on the application that I did community service?

I am actually thinking of doing work for nationals, I hear those guys make a good amount while going to different chapters partying.

BTW, I'm in Phi Kappa Psi

Dan

I put my sorority on my app with my leadership positions and volunteer experience. Just tie it in with how it will help you with medicine (ie communication skills, etc). It didn't hurt me at all and I'm glad I didn't leave it out.

I'm a Phi Psi too, which chapter?

Dan

You can certainly list the volunteering and fundraiser events, but the fraternity part isn't really anything that would be of value. I don't the fraternity part impressing anyone.