IGNORE TROLLS, PATH IS A GOOD FIELD...CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Unfortunately, there are tons of people who work their butts off in this world who make nowhere NEAR 175K. I would never dare give a comment like yours in public. One of my best friends gets up at 5am, goes home at 11pm, and does it all over again, every day of the week. He's not in medicine. He's middle class like most other people in this country. I know plenty of extremely intelligent people who also work their butts off and don't make the kind of money you think you should make as a doctor.

Now, I certainly hope I eventually get paid a great salary. I hope it doesn't go to my head and start thinking I'm actually better than others or deserve more pay than others who work just as hard. We are not entertainers but the reason we get paid what we get paid is because of the value placed on health by our country and our society, not because we are better than anyone else or smarter than everyone else. Most docs will be able to pay off that debt AND save for retirement while living at a middle or upper middle class lifestyle in a normal sized city like the rest of the country and still retire at a normal age.

My comments here may take some flak but I feel strongly that we are privileged to be able to serve the population as physicians. Let's keep it classy.

So someone that DIDN'T put 15 years into the training that we did and who DOESN'T do the work that we do should be entitled to the majority of a paycheck of a 175K minion pathologist? WRONG! WHERE DO WE GET THESE PEOPLE?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, there are tons of people who work their butts off in this world who make nowhere NEAR 175K. I would never dare give a comment like yours in public. One of my best friends gets up at 5am, goes home at 11pm, and does it all over again, every day of the week. He's not in medicine. He's middle class like most other people in this country. I know plenty of extremely intelligent people who also work their butts off and don't make the kind of money you think you should make as a doctor.

Now, I certainly hope I eventually get paid a great salary. I hope it doesn't go to my head and start thinking I'm actually better than others or deserve more pay than others who work just as hard. We are not entertainers but the reason we get paid what we get paid is because of the value placed on health by our country and our society, not because we are better than anyone else or smarter than everyone else. Most docs will be able to pay off that debt AND save for retirement while living at a middle or upper middle class lifestyle in a normal sized city like the rest of the country and still retire at a normal age.

My comments here may take some flak but I feel strongly that we are privileged to be able to serve the population as physicians. Let's keep it classy.

This sounds like the rallying cry of the middle manager.

Are we sure you're a pathologist and not some LabCorp sock puppet?

Reactions: 1 users
You're missing the point. If you're getting paid $175k yet doing a full load of cases a day, the amount you're getting paid compared to the services being billed in your name is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with whether you deserve or don't deserve to make a great salary. The diagnoses you render result in a certain amount of billing. And being paid $175k means someone else is making that money instead of you, and that someone else is not the janitor, not a PhD, not a foodservice employee. It's another doc or hospital administrator. Do THEY deserve it more than you? No. If you want to argue that the prices we bill are two high, that's a different story. But the prices are set, so you deserve to be paid according to those set prices. Expecting to be paid fairly for the work billed in your name is not entitlement. Don't confuse the two.

No, I get that. Thanks for clarifying. What you refer to here is something important for the upcoming generation to understand. We don't want wishy washy people in pathology - we want people who will stand up and advocate for full reimbursement for the services they provide. It's happening for the same reason that pathologists are being overworked - hospitals and practices tend to take on more work without hiring, and sometimes without corresponding increase in pay, except for the overall reimbursement which then goes to the administration or owners. Pathologists are being pressured to produce more because there is still a long way to go before we are working the number of hours our clinical colleagues work. If pathologists become complacent and go with the pressures without speaking up (come on, pathologists -- we have a bad track record of not advocating for ourselves), we will end up a job where we are overworked and underpaid (and, to clarify, I mean compared to the amount billed a.k.a. the amount society determines our work is worth).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, I get that. Thanks for clarifying. What you refer to here is something important for the upcoming generation to understand. We don't want wishy washy people in pathology - we want people who will stand up and advocate for full reimbursement for the services they provide. It's happening for the same reason that pathologists are being overworked - hospitals and practices tend to take on more work without hiring, and sometimes without corresponding increase in pay, except for the overall reimbursement which then goes to the administration or owners. Pathologists are being pressured to produce more because there is still a long way to go before we are working the number of hours our clinical colleagues work. If pathologists become complacent and go with the pressures without speaking up (come on, pathologists -- we have a bad track record of not advocating for ourselves), we will end up a job where we are overworked and underpaid (and, to clarify, I mean compared to the amount billed a.k.a. the amount society determines our work is worth).

Just maybe Pathology is a good candidate for AI systems...?

I told a few buddies about this thread at lunch today, apparently last month my college buddy who is a spinal orthopod in our town smoked me completely last month in income so I am not the Dune messsiah for sure....:(

I tire of comparisons to other fields or other eras. The present is what it is now. I am well compensated for a job that I enjoy. I do not make $100k per month but I am happy. Right now it is particularly busy due to a rash of retirements and, yes, significant difficulty in finding good people to join our group. This of course has a benefit in a private group where compensation is concerned. We had ads out for the last 2-3 years. We are a partnership group, nothing shady, in a quality area and a quality system and are respected. If all of those who are Gods gift to pathology wanted to work with us, we had openings (no longer). But, as will not be a surprise, there were actually people who considered themselves to be superstars and turned the group off by arrogance and attitude. I always wonder if any of these people are the ones on here complaining. Two people turned us down because they had multiple offers and had a family desire to be in a different state (which is fine).

Some people just aren't good fits for other reasons though - we had specific duties we were looking to fill, and we are mostly generalists to some degree. Those types of jobs don't appeal to everyone (which is fine), and some specialty focus we didn't need.

I don't really care if orthopods make more. I wouldn't want to do what they do. I am concerned about the continued growth of hospital administration and oversight, but there are ways to make yourself important in this and not a disposable part. I do not know what the future holds, but have no doubt that reimbursement will continue to decline or be modified in some way to shunt more money to medical devices, administration, and drugs. The sky has been falling for 25-30 years now, and it will continue to fall. There will always be things to complain about and worry about. The important thing is to keep your skills relevant and up to date. And understand that personal qualities will continue to be vital. No one is going to give you everything unless you do something no one else can do. If you want that life, then go and learn how to do something that no one else can do.

Reactions: 6 users
I tire of comparisons to other fields or other eras. The present is what it is now. I am well compensated for a job that I enjoy. I do not make $100k per month but I am happy. Right now it is particularly busy due to a rash of retirements and, yes, significant difficulty in finding good people to join our group. This of course has a benefit in a private group where compensation is concerned. We had ads out for the last 2-3 years. We are a partnership group, nothing shady, in a quality area and a quality system and are respected. If all of those who are Gods gift to pathology wanted to work with us, we had openings (no longer). But, as will not be a surprise, there were actually people who considered themselves to be superstars and turned the group off by arrogance and attitude. I always wonder if any of these people are the ones on here complaining. Two people turned us down because they had multiple offers and had a family desire to be in a different state (which is fine).

Some people just aren't good fits for other reasons though - we had specific duties we were looking to fill, and we are mostly generalists to some degree. Those types of jobs don't appeal to everyone (which is fine), and some specialty focus we didn't need.

I don't really care if orthopods make more. I wouldn't want to do what they do. I am concerned about the continued growth of hospital administration and oversight, but there are ways to make yourself important in this and not a disposable part. I do not know what the future holds, but have no doubt that reimbursement will continue to decline or be modified in some way to shunt more money to medical devices, administration, and drugs. The sky has been falling for 25-30 years now, and it will continue to fall. There will always be things to complain about and worry about. The important thing is to keep your skills relevant and up to date. And understand that personal qualities will continue to be vital. No one is going to give you everything unless you do something no one else can do. If you want that life, then go and learn how to do something that no one else can do.

As usual, wise words here for the younger folks exploring this field or medicine in general.

nice about-face you did there ;)

Yaah, why so serious? :) In a thread dominated by Dune analogies, I would assume no one is making grand philosophical judgement on the value of one's career vs. their peers.

No sane person should ever sit around obsess about what other specialties earn because its pointless, you aren't gonna change fields and I would assume you arent going to choose a training program based on random internet anecdotal info.

Happiness is also completely divorced from income in all the studies Ive seen past a base subsistence level so yah I would happy with far far less although my motivation is definitely linked in a proportional way to the size of the carrot being dangled.

Im not sure anyone here on SDN (or anywhere else for that matter) is claiming to be God's gift to pathology.

In terms of other fields, Ortho may make more but they also have far higher divorce rates so in the end their happiness meter and take home net worth both trail pathology in my rough estimate significantly.

lol, you've never met the "God's gifts" to pathology? They are something to behold when they apply for jobs.

lol, you've never met the "God's gifts" to pathology? They are something to behold when they apply for jobs.

I would like to interview these type of applicants, seems like it would be entertaining. What are examples of their antics when you interviewed them.

Members don't see this ad :)

?

541e29601d93344aaa68fa3200c3d96a.jpg

Yaah, why so serious? :) In a thread dominated by Dune analogies, I would assume no one is making grand philosophical judgement on the value of one's career vs. their peers.

No sane person should ever sit around obsess about what other specialties earn because its pointless, you aren't gonna change fields and I would assume you arent going to choose a training program based on random internet anecdotal info.

Happiness is also completely divorced from income in all the studies Ive seen past a base subsistence level so yah I would happy with far far less although my motivation is definitely linked in a proportional way to the size of the carrot being dangled.

Im not sure anyone here on SDN (or anywhere else for that matter) is claiming to be God's gift to pathology.

In terms of other fields, Ortho may make more but they also have far higher divorce rates so in the end their happiness meter and take home net worth both trail pathology in my rough estimate significantly.

Briefly, if you make enough money to be comfortable and you don't dread going into work every morning, you're doing OK.

I would like to interview these type of applicants, seems like it would be entertaining. What are examples of their antics when you interviewed them.

Excessive name dropping.
Flouting their accomplishments, and saying that their skills would surpass anyone currently in the group.
Refusing to do anything except that which they want to do (i.e., I'm only doing hemepath, and you'll be lucky to have me).
Insulting the training program of one or more members of the group.
Insulting the hospital they are interviewing at.
Talking about how academics are begging them to stay in academics.
Asking about pay and time off within the first five minutes.

Reactions: 3 users
Excessive name dropping.
Flouting their accomplishments, and saying that their skills would surpass anyone currently in the group.
Refusing to do anything except that which they want to do (i.e., I'm only doing hemepath, and you'll be lucky to have me).
Insulting the training program of one or more members of the group.
Insulting the hospital they are interviewing at.
Talking about how academics are begging them to stay in academics.
Asking about pay and time off within the first five minutes.

Yet somebody hires them...l

Refusing to do anything except that which they want to do.

This is the basis for my current dilemma and I think is absolutely tied to the way academia is now training pathologists.

I can deal with arrogance, I can deal with greediness but I cant even begin to tackle trainees who simply refuse to do work types because they feel they are incapable of it.

This is the basis for my current dilemma and I think is absolutely tied to the way academia is now training pathologists.

I can deal with arrogance, I can deal with greediness but I cant even begin to tackle trainees who simply refuse to do work types because they feel they are incapable of it.

I think this stems from the fact that essentially everyone today does some kind of fellowship (or two) and they are emulating what they see their attendings doing.
Back in the day we all pretty much did some of everything. Of course, heme has become much, much more sophisticated since my earlier days. But, I did read my own marrows up to the day of my retirement and I liberally consulted within my group for the big stuff.

I think this stems from the fact that essentially everyone today does some kind of fellowship (or two) and they are emulating what they see their attendings doing.
Back in the day we all pretty much did some of everything. Of course, heme has become much, much more sophisticated since my earlier days. But, I did read my own marrows up to the day of my retirement and I liberally consulted within my group for the big stuff.

I think this is part of it. People learn by copying and your teachers in residency are becoming increasingly subspecialized. And as consolidation occurs, even non-academia is trending towards larger groups with subspecialization. I'm in a 14 person group and only certain people do heme or derm.

Another factor, more relevant for CP/lab management, is how willing is a group to mentor its younger members in these types of things? Despite being nominally AP/CP, residency doesn't really teach you jack about real world CP/lab management. I can see how apprehension about being thrown to the wolves might be manifested in certain people as refusing to touch it altogether.

I wish I heard this before I started pathology residency.

After being out practicing for a little while, and seeing how little our work is valued nowadays, I have decided to go into another specialty entirely.

Thinking along similar lines. Haven’t pulled the cord yet.

Thinking along similar lines. Haven’t pulled the cord yet.

Who gives a f what others think or value. Path is necessary and here to stay. Lifestyle of community path is superb. Hours are superb. My pay is superb. Benefits are superb. Work stress is quite low compared to other specialties. I would hate to be a clinician seeing the crap they do on a daily basis. The grass is not greener.

Who gives a f what others think or value. Path is necessary and here to stay. Lifestyle of community path is superb. Hours are superb. My pay is superb. Benefits are superb. Work stress is quite low compared to other specialties. I would hate to be a clinician seeing the crap they do on a daily basis. The grass is not greener.

#Radiology

#Radiology

At least with the job I have , Rads would be no change in lifestyle and pay would only be about 2% more. Plus the peeps in rads where I work are way more stressed than the peeps in path. No thanks, rads sucks.

At least with the job I have , Rads would be no change in lifestyle and pay would only be about 2% more. Plus the peeps in rads where I work are way more stressed than the peeps in path. No thanks, rads sucks.

I think the lifestyle is about the same. You are lucky but on average Radiology makes alot more. And its a more flexible specialty with ability to work part time and still make alot, do procedures, etc. They're both great.

I think the lifestyle is about the same. You are lucky but on average Radiology makes alot more. And its a more flexible specialty with ability to work part time and still make alot, do procedures, etc. They're both great.

Radiology is sitting at $401,000 vs. $286,000 for Pathology, no arguing and the data is solid.

But Pathology compensation has been bimodal for decades. There is a subset of Pathologists who can hit 1.2-2.5m+ but nearly no radiologists in that layer cake.

I think if I was deeply in student debt, I would go for the sure thing such as the higher average number in Rads. If I had nearly no debt or minimal debt, I might be more willing to shoot for the moon and do something else like Path.

Hmmm....you must be making a lot more than the average path.

Path income data is like household income data from Mexico: average household income data for Mexico is sitting at 15,300 pesos/mo or 752/mo but Carlos Slim is sitting at a net worth of 66.2 billion or 1.3+ TRILLION pesos.

so the logic statement that because the average household income in Mexico is lower than say the U.S. or aggregate EU data, all people in Mexico are much more poor is patently false. The income in path like in Mexico is non-equally distributed in a predictable way.

The average radiologist DOES earn more both yearly and over their careers (2 entirely different and equally important data sets) than the AVERAGE pathologist, BUT the top 1% of pathologists earn more than any radiologist could ever dream of.

What does that mean exactly? Depends on you.

Radiology is sitting at $401,000 vs. $286,000 for Pathology, no arguing and the data is solid.

But Pathology compensation has been bimodal for decades. There is a subset of Pathologists who can hit 1.2-2.5m+ but nearly no radiologists in that layer cake.

I think if I was deeply in student debt, I would go for the sure thing such as the higher average number in Rads. If I had nearly no debt or minimal debt, I might be more willing to shoot for the moon and do something else like Path.

C’mon LA, “the data is solid”? I think these physician income “surveys” are
bull. I never answered one and I don’t think i am all that unusual.
And if incomes, etc. we’re being discussed in general terms I always poor mouthed and I believe that is common. Why would I have told someone what I was making back in the “heyday”?

Not really. When I talk with peeps at conferences and such, almost everyone I talked to who worked in community path were making more than 375k (not including benefits)

It’s those pawns in academic path that were all getting screwed and the academic peeps I talk to at conferences were all less than 225k (avg 3-5 yrs experience) . I have even talked to pathologists with 10+ years experience who work in academics and were still only at about 250k. Don’t be an idiot, stay away from academics

Last edited:
Path income data is like household income data from Mexico: average household income data for Mexico is sitting at 15,300 pesos/mo or 752/mo but Carlos Slim is sitting at a net worth of 66.2 billion or 1.3+ TRILLION pesos.

so the logic statement that because the average household income in Mexico is lower than say the U.S. or aggregate EU data, all people in Mexico are much more poor is patently false. The income in path like in Mexico is non-equally distributed in a predictable way.

The average radiologist DOES earn more both yearly and over their careers (2 entirely different and equally important data sets) than the AVERAGE pathologist, BUT the top 1% of pathologists earn more than any radiologist could ever dream of.

What does that mean exactly? Depends on you.

What percent of people can reach those heights in Path tho? I'm gonna go ahead and guess 1%?

We have to assume average. Because that's what most of us are.

What percent of people can reach those heights in Path tho? I'm gonna go ahead and guess 1%?

We have to assume average. Because that's what most of us are.

I think your avg path trainee has had it drilled into their head (unless they've been educated otherwise) that a good salary for path is 250, and one should be content with 250, so if Quest or U of Whatever will court you with 250 and throw in some token SWAG like healthcare, 401k and a small annual bonus, your avg trainee is going to have his/her expectations set as such. and realistically that's what most jobs out there are comprised of, while the rest of the revenue that's being generated is being siphoned off by the corporation or department.

but there are still plenty of people in path that could be in a higher tier of income but choose the easier schedule/less call/more vaca...we could easily stand to loose a few people and the rest of us would be darn near 7 figures but most everyone would prefer the schedule/infrequent call/3 mos vaca. people in the 1mil club aren't sitting on their yachts and refreshing their Vanguard accounts every 30 seconds (not yet anyway...that comes after 20 years of working BTTW glass domination and smart billing practices).

If you want 7 figures, start some side projects. It isn't that difficult to make 7 figures annually if you use your money to start businesses, buy farmland and rental properties etc.

How do I become a 1%er, $2.5 million yearly pathologist?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile
You likely have to start your own lab, have it become a huge success, and make money off every underling pathologist that you employ.

You likely have to start your own lab, have it become a huge success, and make money off every underling pathologist that you employ.

That is called owning and running a business. You make it sound like
some kind of scam. Do you have a problem with entrepreneurs and/or
capitalism like so many of today’s younger folks? Your use of the
word “underling” rather than “employee” is a pejorative term.

Yah I think folks in medicine in general dont understand how healthcare economics really works. For example, if a hospital employed a pathologist or pathologists in a group setting, they would probably pay them 50 cents or less on the dollar (many times 15 cents or less on the dollar) that they collect in terms of PC revenue. If you challenged them, they would argue that is cost of doing business, that their admin need juicy six figure salaries and your income also needs to spread about other non-revenue generating services. But somehow that is okay while a biz oriented pathologist setting up a business, running it by himself and trying to be more equitable in terms of the % shared down is viewed as "usury" and thus bad..

Dont worry though GenY/millennial pathologists, you wont have to worry about this as in sort order all of you will just be tied to the wheel of pain of capitated non-fee for service medicine struggling for 20-30 years to pay off your student loans and then your obscene mortgages:
wheelofpain.gif

I offer you a hearty cheers from Gen X, we will raise our cocktail glasses in tribute your painful slog!

You can read into things however you like. And yes, I do have a problem with practices that provide zero chance for partnership and ownership in the business.

You can read into things however you like. And yes, I do have a problem with practices that provide zero chance for partnership and ownership in the business.

So you would be against ever working for Kaiser, the government, public hospitals, academic centers, academic affiliates, etc etc...
All before the eventual end of fee for service where everyone will be employees anyway and any junior person is likely to be treated far far worse when your pay and vacation package is going to be compared to everyone else in the hospital including the janitorial staff...

See the problem?

And yes you are screwed, and your choice of specialty is completely immaterial.

So you would be against ever working for Kaiser, the government, public hospitals, academic centers, academic affiliates, etc etc...

I was and I still am. I'm a full partner in a group of all partners. Of course I'd be opposed to all those arrangements.

Thats fine, but realize for 70%+ of new grads, partnership in a pathologist owned endeavor will NOT be part of their career arc ever. That number may actually be even higher and will one day hit 100% sadly.

Thats fine, but realize for 70%+ of new grads, partnership in a pathologist owned endeavor will NOT be part of their career arc ever. That number may actually be even higher and will one day hit 100% sadly.
already > 90%

dear Lord that is depressing...1 hour to cocktail hour for me though. I will unburden my sorrows with a bottle of Proper No 12.

That slop McGregor is peddling? I thought you would be sipping on Bushmills 21, or at least Black Bush.

Personally, I would prefer "colleague" and the working environment it implies to either "underling" or "employee".

If someone sets up a lab and is transparent about hierarchy, pay, and opportunity for advancement that's fine. If they've got the skills to get something like that off the ground and profitable, then they do deserve a premium. But it's the stories of bait-and-switch, stringing someone along with promises of a future payday that never arrives that are disgusting. Sadly, treating your fellow professionals like disposable fast food workers seems to be the best way to the top and not just in pathology.

Reactions: 2 users
That slop McGregor is peddling? I thought you would be sipping on Bushmills 21, or at least Black Bush.

I actually bought 3 bottles as a gag whiskey for a party I threw and after tasting it thought it was great. And the stuff is dirt cheap.

Have you tried it or just read the hater whiskey reviews?

Haven't tried but is getting lambasted all over the internet. Good to know its not bad (because he just slapped a brand on it and it's partially sourced from Bushmills), but I prob won't try because I think McGregor is a douche and there's plenty of good whiskey under 30 bucks.

Haven't tried but is getting lambasted all over the internet. Good to know its not bad (because he just slapped a brand on it and it's partially sourced from Bushmills), but I prob won't try because I think McGregor is a douche and there's plenty of good whiskey under 30 bucks.

I drank more last night and have an even better opinion of Proper Twelve now. And I drink Pappy's and Elmer T Lee like water on a hot day normally, so trust me I know really good whiskeys. For a resident or fellow looking to get their buzz on for low dollars on a Friday night, I can recommend Proper Twelve for sure.

As a side bar, Im considering a pathology related tattoo on my deltoid, something with an image of a doctor with a plague mask:
56c23feba459c53155c61bdc14c3ad15.jpg

What is the current consensus on practicing pathologists with epic tattoos? yay or nay?

LA, we are out of the loop. You need to understand that, in this day and age,
EVERYONE gets a participation trophy and deserves to be an owner right out of residency.

LA, we are out of the loop. You need to understand that, in this day and age,
EVERYONE gets a participation trophy and deserves to be an owner right out of residency.

I see this a lot. Maybe this doesn't apply to you specifically, but the boomer generation as a whole gave their kids (millenials) participation trophies, helicoptered around everything, and generally treated them as special snowflakes who could do no wrong. Now the boomers complain that their kids are entitled and ruining the economy and everything else while simultaneously being saddled with enormous student debt and poor wage growth.

I like this quote from somewhere else on the Internet: "'That's not how I raised you!' 'Uh yeah, it is.'"

Reactions: 2 users