IIs after thanksgiving?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tokyopear

Reaction score
IIs after thanksgiving?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

You deleted your information, and I don't recall a breakdown of your hours and nonclinical volunteering. You are fortunate that your state schools are interviewing you, and I might not hold my breath for the other schools... but you never know. If you submitted before Labor Day, I would expect your file to have been read.

Since I don't have a sense of mission fit, it is hard to be more optimistic based on what has been disclosed.

My application was complete mid-September for most schools. I am fortunate enough to have received 2 MD IIs from my state schools, but radio silence from the other 35 I applied to (except for 1 R). Is it reasonable to assume that some schools have yet to process/look at my app? Or should I expect nothing but a wave of rejections later, since we are approaching Thanksgiving?
I know some schools send IIs in Dec. and Jan., so just wondering if I should start preparing for a reapplication if my 2 IIs don't turn into As.

@Goro @LizzyM @Faha I would appreciate your insights :)
You are rejected until you get that acceptance email in your Inbox, so you should always be working to improve your app.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My friend who is a M1 didn't get any IIs til January. I'm holding out hope til March rolls around.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
The Thanksgiving Rule is not that no invites go out after Thanksgiving but that you shouldn't worry about not having any invites until Thanksgiving rolls around. We reached Thanksgiving week and you have TWO interview invites so you are ahead of the game. More may be coming but maybe not. Most schools can interview only a small fraction of their applicants so they are choosy. Mission fit and the likelihood that you'll matriculate if admitted go into the decision to issue an interview invite. Rejoice in the two you have, keep improving yourself, and hold tight in the hope that you'll have at least one admission offer by February 13 (Mardi Gras Rule -- it's early this year).

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats on the two IIs—I also finished mid Sept to 24 schools. Only heard 4R so far, no interviews. I also hope interviews start rolling in! Good luck.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
The Thanksgiving Rule is not that no invites go out after Thanksgiving but that you shouldn't worry about not having any invites until Thanksgiving rolls around. We reached Thanksgiving week and you have TWO interview invites so you are ahead of the game. More may be coming but maybe not. Most schools can interview only a small fraction of their applicants so they are choosy. Mission fit and the likelihood that you'll matriculate if admitted go into the decision to issue an interview invite. Rejoice in the two you have, keep improving yourself, and hold tight in the hope that you'll have at least one admission offer by February 13 (Mardi Gras Rule -- it's early this year).
Do you have any idea of about what percentage of interview invites remain after Thanksgiving? Obviously I know it varies by school but I was just wondering.

Do you have any idea of about what percentage of interview invites remain after Thanksgiving? Obviously I know it varies by school but I was just wondering.
No idea. If I were to make a rough estimate, I'd say 30% have not yet been conducted but some of those invites have already gone out.

Reactions: 1 user
The number of available spots will depend on how schools are filling their seats. All of them must be filled across AMCAS by March (some schools will fill before then).

Second, it depends on how many applicants hold more than one spot. CYMS has not opened up for AMCAS so we can only speculate. It also depends on how vigilant the admissions teams are with notifying AMCAS that you have been extended an offer, but only AMCAS will know this number. The schools will not know until March. Similarly with AACOMAS.

We encourage those with A's to their top/preferred schools to begin refusing II's to programs that are lower on their wishlists to open available spots and help admissions teams extend more IIs.

You could do a back-of-napkin calculation if you knew how many people at a school have already been interviewed or how many upcoming interview days have been scheduled (and number of spots). But more IIs go out as long as programs haven't hit their ideal number of interviews conducted.

Just remember that in the end, a bit less than half of all AMCAS applicants find a spot in a medical school, and most only get 1 II (according to the MSQ). You are still in play until the end of the cycle.

Don't expect there to be many big interview days between Thanksgiving and New Years. M1s and M2s have exams, and you don't want unhappy med students who may have to worry about passing or remediating classes at your M&Gs (Meet and Greets).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.