IL people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my rent is currently 985.. 3 bed 2 bath.
its real nice.

benefits of living further out.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is quite a ways in the future, but if you are put on a waitlist and you want to know your # or status on that, when is it appropriate to call and ask that? Good luck to all.

How have Loyola interviews been? Is that place hard to get into? As for UIC, it seems that it's process is unpredictable as hell.
SIU is a bumblef@#$ place -- I didn't apply there.

Gumshoe

Originally posted by Gumshoe
I know this is quite a ways in the future, but if you are put on a waitlist and you want to know your # or status on that, when is it appropriate to call and ask that? Good luck to all.

How have Loyola interviews been? Is that place hard to get into? As for UIC, it seems that it's process is unpredictable as hell.
SIU is a bumblef@#$ place -- I didn't apply there.

Gumshoe

I believe my friend who was waitlisted to several schools said that she checked on a weekly basis.

As for SIU, who the heck cares...That's a place where the cows outnumber the people and that it is swarming with rednecks and hicks! Since I am Asian, I don't want to experience any more racism if I have a chance to stay in a diverse environment. I agree with you on SIU...PEEE U!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Gumshoe
How have Loyola interviews been? Is that place hard to get into?

My Loyola interview was awesome, everyone was laid back and friendly...walked in and started talking about football with the interviewer. Seems like a good program, new facilities, and all the students were really nice/outgoing, not stereotypical premeds. Posted feedback in the appropriate section of SDN after the interview.

thats what ive heard from everyone about Loyola.

thats why they are my top pick.. plus i agree with their educational approach

Someone said earlier about the waitlist movement/class filling up at UIC (and I wanted to put my two cents in.....)

Because of their gaurenteed medical program there, many students who have a seat at UIC chose not to fill out the whole AMCAS/secondary stuff til the very last minute. ( i have to admit I am one of them) This is prolly why the class may seem full by December even though it isn't feasible to interview/accept that many students by then. You have to remember there's already about 60-80 of us who are "in" UIC already....

But the good news is that many of us who have a seat at UIC will either 1. Be accepted/go somewhere else 2. Be kicked out of the program ( sad but true ) and 3. Decide we don't want to do medicine but waited til the last minute to give up our seat at UIC.

Okay, now that i'm done putting in my two cents...

Here's where i applied

IL
Northwestern
Loyola
U of C (rejected :( )
Rush (interview 10/11)

Not in IL
UPenn
UMich (interview 10/18)
WashU

Good luck to everyone out there!

whats the deal with northwestern anyway?

it seems as if the only way to get in there is to go there for undergrad.

Guys, direct any questions my way if you want ... I just met this man (a really big guy in the MD world) who is really insightful and has a great look at being what a doctor is all about. He knows the ins and outs of what schools are solid and which are better for residencies than regular MD work, etc.

His favorite is Loyola (and it seems that many are impressed with their faciliites and people). He likes UIC Rush and thinks FINCH (with as much bashing as people have done to it) will be back on track and really good over the next 5 years, guaranteed. Similarly, U of C he likes and but their running of hospitals could be much better. Northwestern is ideal for residency, I hear.

Does this guy exist? Well, you'll never really know unless you believe the gumshoe ...

Gummy Bear:rolleyes:

I have no idea of what you are talking about gumshoe, but I agree about Loyola..

I have heard nothing but praises about them and since family members of mine have gone there, i will cry if i dont get in. (well maybe not, but who knows ;))

Is that your real face? I didn't know anyone actually put their pictures up on the board like that.

Damn, you're hot. Hahahahaha.

You look like Kylie Minogue in that picture, teehee. :p

Gumshoe "The man with the plan"

well..this really really sucks. I dont know if people on SDN are just way too exceptional. I tried to keep good grades, ahd a good mcat score, volunteered, research, blah blah blah. Unfortunately, people everywhere have been getting interviews to places I have applied to and my file is STILL under review. Got three rejections: stanford, mayo, U of C; on hold at loyola...what's up with that!!!
And...NYU doesn't have my MCAT scores yet, eventhough I paid amcas 20 bucks to send my scores there. I check my mailbox like a mad person every day. I check my emails a million times a day. This is so frustrating

Hey Ni1980,

I empathize with you. Things will get better...they can't get worse! (hopefully) Just keep positive. Worrying and stressing out will only make you insane.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Ni1980
well..this really really sucks. I dont know if people on SDN are just way too exceptional. I tried to keep good grades, ahd a good mcat score, volunteered, research, blah blah blah. Unfortunately, people everywhere have been getting interviews to places I have applied to and my file is STILL under review. Got three rejections: stanford, mayo, U of C; on hold at loyola...what's up with that!!!
And...NYU doesn't have my MCAT scores yet, eventhough I paid amcas 20 bucks to send my scores there. I check my mailbox like a mad person every day. I check my emails a million times a day. This is so frustrating
what are your stats?

Did any of you interview at SIU? If you did, did you get a weird letter saying your status is "ACCEPT WHEN PLACE AVAILABLE."

Any IL pre-meds know of the "IL Medical School Fair?" I believe it is usually held in late November or early December. Someplace in Chicago area? Anyone ever been or know how to find out?

Originally posted by marydee
Any IL pre-meds know of the "IL Medical School Fair?" I believe it is usually held in late November or early December. Someplace in Chicago area? Anyone ever been or know how to find out?

i tried to look it up but i couldnt find any info.

If someone finds out id be interested.

Actually, it alternates between chicago and U of I in Champaign. Here's what my advisor sent us down in Chambana:

NOV. 2 The Illinois Medical Deans Meeting will be held in the Illini
Union from 10- 4 p.m.. The 8 medical school deans from IL will be on
campus, Saturday, starting in the Ballroom. From 10:30-11:30 there will be a panel discussion of medical students from the various medical schools with a question and answer session. Lunch will be on your own, and then at 1-3 p.m. in various rooms within the Union, you can pick sessions on "interviewing", "financial aid", "understanding the application process", "beyond gpa's and MCAT, characteristics of a candidate". Following these sessions will be a "Open House" to meet each and pick up materials. Dress is casual, no jeans or shorts please, is free and no registration is needed. The opening remarks don't start until 10 a.m. so if you are attending please be there by 9:50. Other central IL undergraduate schools will be here with their premeds as well. This session is held every two years so if you are a freshman or sophomore be sure and attend.

Hey, maybe I'll host a party for all SDNers who attend? ;)

so this is at U of I-Urbana?

Yeah I just graduated from Loyola and am taking a year off to do some research at the NIH in D.C. But I applied to all the chicago schools except NW.

Yeah, U of I in Urbana-Champaign. I went to this Dean's meeting when I was a sophomore, though it wasn't much help then because I wasn't very far along in the process. Hope to see y'all there!:)

Originally posted by DrLady
Oh, its in U of I? I was hoping it would be in chicago campus.

me too, but i may go anyway

Originally posted by crazyA
Wow...I'll bet us Illinoizianz be the only state with our own forum...

Somebody here mentioned SIU, they're a really good school (US News ranked them 25th in the nation for clinical) but the problem is, if you don't live in Illinois south of 80 (so we're talking Joliet and beyond) you have very little chance of getting in

you'd be surprised on how many people in this year's class are from chicago/north suburbs...in fact, I was literally blocks south of I-80 and i still was interviewed late because I'm from "northern" IL...they do something like give you 1 of 4 pts for being from central/south IL and the rest is based on grades, MCAT, volunteering, ECs, ect. maybe this yr's class got screwed up cause of the AMCAS thing last year, but the first few weeks of school, i was hard pressed to find people who actually lived in southern IL.

and yep, this place(carbondale M1 and springfield M2-M4) is interesting...far stretch from chicago or anything close to that (there's actually an ER here that can't even do all blood tests or do a VQ scan!). BUT, we don't have to share patients with a bunch of other schools, we get hands on IMMEDIATELY, and profs are awesome! but to each their own. as for accepted when place available status --> worked for me!

Originally posted by agent
me too, but i may go anyway

Yeah, couple of my friends go to U of I, i might go and stay at their apt or dorm for night. Nov. 2 falls on saturday, and the trip is about 2 hrs away from Chicago downtown, I think. Well, might as well make most of the trip, go to the Dean's meeting and have fun with friends in champaign.

Where have all the Illinois people gove? I am fairly new here and it seems like this thread was just abandoned.

No offense to those who go there and love it, but I had by far the worst interview of any I've been to so far at UIC in Peoria. The people I met were nice enough, but it was so horribly organized! :eek:

First, over the phone I was told the day started at 11. An email said 1, but the letter they sent said 11. Granted, I should have called, but I figured the email was a typo. I got to the Admin office at 11, and the person there said, "Oh yeah, some of those letters had the wrong time. I was afraid this might happen." So if you knew about the problem, WHY DIDN'T YOU DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT? :mad: Luckily I have family in town, so I visited my granparents until the interview started.

In case anyone was wondering, the reason they don't have the med students talk to the interviewees over lunch is because they don't have a cafeteria. But I was told "there were some vending machines in case you're hungry. And Jimmy Johns will deliver to the school."

So at 1 we were supposed to get a half-hour welcome/intro thing from the Dean - WHO DIDN'T SHOW. (At least until much later, and that was just to answer any questions we had.)

There was a brief tour that didn't include any of the hospital facilities, though we were told about one student who, on a 3rd year rotation, went to Kankakee where there was no housing available. He lived out of a hospital room for 8 weeks. :eek: At the actual interview part, the people on the panel just fired questions at me, and weren't engaging at all. The whole "day" lasted about an hour and a half. :rolleyes:

Overall - VERY VERY NOT IMPRESSED. :wow: :mad:

Wow! Interesting story. I have my interview at Peoria coming up soon. The letter I got in the mail says that the interview session begins at 11:30 am and ends at 4:30 pm. Were there other applicants there, or were you the only one for the day? Thanks for the info!

I'm from Illinois--Burr Ridge (Lyons Township H.S. alum)

I applied to:

Rush (interview in a couple weeks)
UIC (no word yet)
UofChicago (waitlisted)
Loyola (accepted)

Medical College of Wisconsin (interview next week)
Tulane (interviewed)
University of Pittsburgh (rejected)
Vanderbilt (rejected)
Case Western (rejected)
Rochester
Columbia (interviewed in September)
Vermont (withdrew once I got into Stritch)
Cornell
University of Colorado

Hey Illinois people!
It's good to see some feedback out there on these schools, I was starting to wonder about some of them.

Let's see, I've applied at:
Rush (interview 12/3)
UChicago
Loyola(just sent the secondary)
UIC
Northwestern

out of state:
UVA
UNC
Duke
WashU
Vanderbilt(interview 2/14)
SLU(interview 11/26)
Mizzou
Dartmouth
NYU
UWisconsin
Boston Univ
UCSF

And I'm mostly waiting cause of August MCAT.
Keep posting stuff people!! The Illiniois info is really useful to a lot of us.

Hey IL gang! Great to see so many of us!

I've applied to:

IN STATE

UIC (interview in Dec)
Northwestern (interview coming in Nov)
U of Chicago (interview back in October)

OUT OF STATE

Wash U. (interview coming in Nov)
U of Iowa (interview back in October)
Stanford (no word on interview yet)
Duke (interview back in October)
Yale (interview coming in Nov)
Harvard (interview coming in Dec)
Dartmouth (interview back in October)
Cornell (no word on interview yet)

I'd be more than willing to answer questions or chat about anything. Best of luck to everyone!

Wanderer: When was your UIC stuff "complete" and when did you get your interview invite? Just wondering cause i have not herd a peep from them.

Thanks.

My UIC application was one of the last ones I finished . . . I think it was complete in early October. I just received the interview invitation about a week ago. Hope that helps!

I just called UIC today to check my application status. I was informed that my application was complete and the end of October and that it was now waiting to be reviewed. She said that it would be mid-December (at the earliest) that I would hear something back. You can call and check on your application status, they are usually helpful. However you can only call on Thursdays. Hope this helps.

I also called UIC today, my application has been complete since 9.24.02 and they said that my application would be reviewed near the end of the month and I would get "feedback" by the middle of December. until then, I guess I will bide my time preparing for the april MCAT.

Looks like there's some new IL people here on SDN. Welcome peeps!

Just wanted to wish you all good luck. I'm in over at UIC and I will be attending the Chicago campus next fall (unless Northwestern or Loyola have anything to say about it). I hope to see some of you guys on the first day of classes.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Good Luck!!

I am from Sandwich, IL and this is my second year applying.

IL
-------------
Rush ( int. 11/12 )
UIC ( app complete, not reviewed yet)
Loyola (no interview yet, review again in Dec.)
SIU (int 9/13, waitlist as Ranked Alternate)

Out of State
-----------------------------
U. Texas (all 4 sites) ( int 9/20 at UT Galveston)
Baylor
Washington U.
Saint Louis U.
U of Michigan
Medical College of Wisconsin

I am from Illinois, and here is my story:

Loyola-Interviewed and Accepted
University of Michigan-Interviewed and Accepted
University of Chicago-Interviewed and Waitlisted
Northwestern-Interviewed End of October
Case Western-Interviewed Early November
Georgetown-Interviewed Early November
UIC-Interview next week

Declined Interviews from:
St. Louis
Creighton
MCOW

Waiting to Hear From:
Johns Hopkins :rolleyes:
Harvard ;)
Yale :confused:
Washington University :(

HEY pneumo, just out of curiousity what are your stats?

Can we smush together the 2 IL threads?

On a different note, I called UIC a very long time ago (more than a month ago) and got that my app was under review (complete since end of August). I find it weird that I haven't heard anything from them.

Hope all's well...

UChicago question:
I just got an email from them saying my application was now complete. The last element was the august mcat, as far as I know. Does this mean it took them nearly a month to get that filed?? This is gonna be a looooooong year.......
Anybody else get this?

Originally posted by Mixmaster
Hey anyone that works at Abbott can you guys hook me up with a job please??? I would love to work there but again no love I applied online and through some agency and nothing. I got a B.S. in Biology last year. If anyone thinks they can help I would appreciate it :D

they said hiring freeze, but just wanted to say something. they are probably right, but for future reference, on the UIC webpage (at lease somewhere int the BioEng dept page) ther eis a bunch of phone number for people at abott and other companies. these are good connections, senior scentists and such.

bump

someone else from illinois must have something to say

Anyone know when the next meeting is for UIC? Or when net batch of acceptances will be sent out? I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and I am waiting nervously!:(

Others have said differently, but I think it has to be about the middle of the month...i interviewed 10/10 and got an acceptance 10 days later

they meet once a month, around the 15th. so if you hear it will be towards the middle-to-late days of the month. if you dont hear then its useless to call and ask cause they only meet once a month.. good luck!

Originally posted by Drnunia
Anyone know when the next meeting is for UIC? Or when net batch of acceptances will be sent out? I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and I am waiting nervously!:(

i'm live in waukegan right now unfortunately. i work at baxter though. i'm starting a kaplan course this weekend at NU. i plan on applying for 2004 entering class. finch sucks. top choice school will be in the city. trying to establish study/application process contacts for illinois applicants. anyone looking for contacts at abbott, i used to work there too. hit me

abiff

here's the deal--when i called, UIC told me they're meeting at the end of this week (I think on the 14th but don't remember). You'll get a decision within the next 2 weeks. If you're accepted or rejected, you'll get something in the mail. If you're waitlisted, you'll get an email. Good luck!