IL people

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I pm'ed you, futurdoc. For the benefit of others, I sent out my secondary in August, but I am not sure the exact date I was complete because I didn't call until later. If you would like my stats, pm me. Maybe if I get enough encouragement I'll post them. Still can't believe my state school dissed me.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah what's the deal with UIC I got the same letter after I was told that I was competitive by the admissions office. Did anyone else with decent stats and in-state get dissed from UIC?

Mix, did you get yours this saturday and if not have you spoken to them (I'm assuming not from your post but who knows?)

Members don't see this ad :)
yup i just got it this saturday, I will call sometime this week. did you get my pm

Yep, I got your pm...I am pretty good about checking my pm's guys, just give me a bit. SDN is usually pretty quiet during the weekend, we will see tomorrow probably if there were more rejections. Anyway, I have some theories I want to run by people as to why this might be happening.

1. We are all non-urm's....my friend who is an M1 this year says his class is 40% white, and of that half of them are male and half are female
2. They simply are getting more higher caliber applicants, for whatever reason
3. They are accepting more higher caliber applicants than usual in order to boost their status/stats
4. They are accepting more higher caliber applicants than usual because with the economy as bad as it is this year maybe more of them will decide to go to their state school instead of a private or out of state school

Originally posted by PluckyDuk8
1. We are all non-urm's....my friend who is an M1 this year says his class is 40% white, and of that half of them are male and half are female

Uhh, no. White's may make up only 40% of the class but Asians(Indian/Chinese/Pakistani/Korean/Arab,etc.) comprise perhaps the other 40%. Black/Hispanic take the remaining 20%. Asians are not URMs therefore at least 80% of the class got in for reasons other than that.

2. They simply are getting more higher caliber applicants, for whatever reason

Maybe yes, maybe no. Frankly I think there has been no change in the quality of applicants they are getting that has not also appeared in applicants to other medical schools across the country. All IL residents have always applied to UIC and of course, they do get preference. Since UIC gives strong preference to IL residents (who have always applied to UIC anyway) stronger applicants from out of state would make a negligible difference at best.

3. They are accepting more higher caliber applicants than usual in order to boost their status/stats

This is true to some extent but the bar was actually raised for last year's cycle. There was a slight increase in the MCAT/GPA cutoffs for applicants that they would accept but frankly I don't think they were made ridiculously high. I got in and I don't have ridiculously high stats and I'm white.

4. They are accepting more higher caliber applicants than usual because with the economy as bad as it is this year maybe more of them will decide to go to their state school instead of a private or out of state school

No, the economy argument holds no water because just about everyone takes loans for med school which they defer until they are done training. The cost is not realized until you finish residency at which time the economic conditions will probably be different. Unless you were planning on paying for med school out of pocket, the current economic situation would not make a difference. Plus, with UIC nearing 20k/yr in tuition and fees, it's not the bargain it once used to be.

I think instead of blaming external things for not getting in I think you first need to look in the mirror. More times than not, and I say this as a second time applicant, the problem lies somewhere within your application. Med schools look at a variety of different factors and as a few friends of mine found out, UIC is not the "slam dunk" it may have seemed to be for IL residents with good stats.

I think one of the most critical factors with UIC is timing. Getting your app in ASAP to UIC probably increased your chances for an acceptance exponentially because the class fills up faster than most. Other than that, you just need to realize that once you have several applicants with good stats, the concept of randomness starts to play a role. Perhaps something in you PS or perhaps your recs were not what they were looking for. Another reason may be that your stats were just so good that they felt you would get an acceptance at a much higher ranked school and would not choose to attend UIC. Judging by what happened with the waitlist last year, they are probably being more selective in accepting applicants who would most likely choose to matriculate at UIC over most other schools. They ended up going very deep into the waitlist last year b/c they accepted too many great applicants that chose to go elsewhere.

I think you need to take a step back and think of the reasons you may have gotten your first acceptance and perhaps some of the problems that might have caused your UIC app to go the way it did. Med schools do not all use the same standards.

Originally posted by Explosivo

I think instead of blaming external things for not getting in I think you first need to look in the mirror. More times than not, and I say this as a second time applicant, the problem lies somewhere within your application. Med schools look at a variety of different factors and as a few friends of mine found out, UIC is not the "slam dunk" it may have seemed to be for IL residents with good stats.

I think one of the most critical factors with UIC is timing. Getting your app in ASAP to UIC probably increased your chances for an acceptance exponentially because the class fills up faster than most. Other than that, you just need to realize that once you have several applicants with good stats, the concept of randomness starts to play a role. Perhaps something in you PS or perhaps your recs were not what they were looking for. Another reason may be that your stats were just so good that they felt you would get an acceptance at a much higher ranked school and would not choose to attend UIC. Judging by what happened with the waitlist last year, they are probably being more selective in accepting applicants who would most likely choose to matriculate at UIC over most other schools. They ended up going very deep into the waitlist last year b/c they accepted too many great applicants that chose to go elsewhere.

I think you need to take a step back and think of the reasons you may have gotten your first acceptance and perhaps some of the problems that might have caused your UIC app to go the way it did. Med schools do not all use the same standards. [/B]

Well, I am theorizing because I'm bored and I'm going to call them tomorrow anyway. As I said before in my previous posts, I applied in August, and I am a pretty average instate applicant, which is what I think UIC would be looking for. I'm definitely thinking of why on a personal level...this has all become a little bit of a fun game to play...I'm taking this year off and have nothing better to do but wonder :) But then at the same time I am not taking it personally, again it is a crapshoot.

Oh, it also makes for some interesting discussion on message boards, and through it I have "met" 2 more SDN'ers. :D

Hey there,
So, people have received acceptances and rejections. Has anyone received the waitlist email? Just wondering if it's been sent out or if it will be sent tomorrow.

I have a bad feeling that I'll be answering my own question tomorrow...:(

Hi everyone,
I got a thin letter from UIC yesterday and figured it was a rejection but it was actually an interview invitation. My secondary was completed near the end of September and my stats are around their average I believe. I am out of state and I guess they decided to interview me probably because of my ec's and the fact I am working on a master's maybe??? I dont know........it's random, I have my share of rejections............sorry to hear about yours.

Jetson

I interviewed at UIC on the 12th of November. This Saturday (I was outta town) but my parents got the big envelope :) :D :clap:
That's a pretty fast turn around time.

For the record I'm an instater with pretty good stats...dunno how this factors into everybody's Enron math calculations of the admissions process for UIC.

I'm so thrilled to have one "in the bag" this early. Now I can wait for the thin envelopes from everywhere else I've interviewed/applied at :)

I GOT IN!!! Okay, so I'm kinda weird--when I opened up the letter from UIC, I started crying! So much anticipation and so much uncertainty about my future has finally come to a close! Now, any other acceptance is icing on the cake....I'm sooo excited and thankful!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by athena21
I GOT IN!!! Okay, so I'm kinda weird--when I opened up the letter from UIC, I started crying! So much anticipation and so much uncertainty about my future has finally come to a close! Now, any other acceptance is icing on the cake....I'm sooo excited and thankful!!!!

Congrats! See you in August!

Originally posted by athena21

Congrats!!! :clap: :clap:

Does anyone know what the turnaround time (from interview until decision) is for SIU?? Any information would be appreciated.:)

siu will send the next batch of acceptances in late January and again in early March according to the catalog. How was your interview?

Well maybe I'll hear something before then, They told me that the ad com was gonna start meeting once a month. Anyway, my interviews were good. They were both a good solid hour of talking. My second interview with a faculty member went really well b/c he was nice enough to give me some feedback before I left. He said, "I am going to recommend you for admittance, so if you don't get in you can blame it on the other guy." He said that he likes to tell applicants the outcome of his part of the process right away. I guess I'll just wait and see. If you want more info pm me.

Ok, I just got off the phone w/UIC about my rejection...mind u the counselor set a time for Him to call ME and he never did. Anyway...his first words were "there's nothing glaring in your application that would make us reject u." Ok, that's nice. He said my EC's are a little below average, which I really don't think they are, and since I've gotten other interviews they probably aren't. He also pointed out my 8 in my physical sciences. Woo hoo. Seems they didn't give too much thought to the whole applicant. Actually, I can't blame them too much since their application wasn't as comprehensive as others. I didn't have an opportunity to show myself either as I probably would have liked. Ok, enough with this, I'm moving on! Best of luck to everyone who wants to go to UIC, you don't have to worry about me getting your spot!

PluckyDuk8,
Ur in at Loyola so it's all good. What's ridiculous is that ur at or above their averages for MCAT and GPA (~3.48 and 28/29). I bet they accept tons of people with 8s so I don't buy his comments; it sounds like he was reaching for anything. What a crock...anyway, best of luck to you!

Originally posted by PluckyDuk8
Ok, I just got off the phone w/UIC about my rejection...mind u the counselor set a time for Him to call ME and he never did. Anyway...his first words were "there's nothing glaring in your application that would make us reject u." Ok, that's nice. He said my EC's are a little below average, which I really don't think they are, and since I've gotten other interviews they probably aren't. He also pointed out my 8 in my physical sciences. Woo hoo. Seems they didn't give too much thought to the whole applicant. Actually, I can't blame them too much since their application wasn't as comprehensive as others. I didn't have an opportunity to show myself either as I probably would have liked. Ok, enough with this, I'm moving on! Best of luck to everyone who wants to go to UIC, you don't have to worry about me getting your spot!

Thank you athena and to everyone who has been nice/helpful. I just wanted an answer from them so maybe I could learn something from this process and report for others. Anyway, I am soooo not worried about this- ya I'm moving on. He really didn't know what he was talking about...way too many ums and pauses...

ive never been to peoria, but the urbana campus is very well organized. ive heard a lot of stories like this, but in general you cant beat the tuition (~20K/yr) so you just gotta suck it up and roll with it! good luck!

Originally posted by Woots32
No offense to those who go there and love it, but I had by far the worst interview of any I've been to so far at UIC in Peoria. The people I met were nice enough, but it was so horribly organized! :eek:

First, over the phone I was told the day started at 11. An email said 1, but the letter they sent said 11. Granted, I should have called, but I figured the email was a typo. I got to the Admin office at 11, and the person there said, "Oh yeah, some of those letters had the wrong time. I was afraid this might happen." So if you knew about the problem, WHY DIDN'T YOU DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT? :mad: Luckily I have family in town, so I visited my granparents until the interview started.

In case anyone was wondering, the reason they don't have the med students talk to the interviewees over lunch is because they don't have a cafeteria. But I was told "there were some vending machines in case you're hungry. And Jimmy Johns will deliver to the school."

So at 1 we were supposed to get a half-hour welcome/intro thing from the Dean - WHO DIDN'T SHOW. (At least until much later, and that was just to answer any questions we had.)

There was a brief tour that didn't include any of the hospital facilities, though we were told about one student who, on a 3rd year rotation, went to Kankakee where there was no housing available. He lived out of a hospital room for 8 weeks. :eek: At the actual interview part, the people on the panel just fired questions at me, and weren't engaging at all. The whole "day" lasted about an hour and a half. :rolleyes:

Overall - VERY VERY NOT IMPRESSED. :wow: :mad:

Hello to all the IL people out there. I was just writing to get your opinion on a situation I have. I have recently been accepted to two Chicago schools-UIC and Loyola. I have considered a lot of factors between the two and I am pretty sure about my final choice. However, I just wanted to see what other IL SDNers would pick before I turn the other school down.

Thanks
aarn20

If I were you, I would go to Loyola because I haven't applied there and I could use an extra spot at UIC, where I have applied :D But seriously, you can't go wrong either ways. BTW, which campus at UIC?

wait until march and see what kind financial aid you'll be getting

if money is no object, it's my impression that students are (in general) happier at loyola than they are at uic, but plenty of people have disagreed with me already on this point

Originally posted by aarn20
Hello to all the IL people out there. I was just writing to get your opinion on a situation I have. I have recently been accepted to two Chicago schools-UIC and Loyola.

Same for me, I just found out I got into UIC this weekend. :D

And I just scheduled an interview at Nwestern for Jan 14th, but I'm not sure if I should go or not. I don't really see myself going there, but I figure I might as well go check it out - who knows, I may be pleasantly suprised. ;)

And I just scheduled an interview at Nwestern for Jan 14th, but I'm not sure if I should go or not. I don't really see myself going there, but I figure I might as well go check it out - who knows, I may be pleasantly suprised. ;)

Not to dissuade you, Woots, but I've heard that their interview process is very high stress. Perhaps this has changed in the last year? Anybody interview there?

Thanks for all the replies so far. I would wait until March for finacial aid but I would rather go ahead and decide to give other applicants a chance for an acceptance at one of the other schools. I agree with Crazy A in that I found the students at Loyola more friendly and nice when compared to UIC. In addition, the facilities in my opinion do not even compare to UIC. However, my main dilema is whether ~$10,000 dollars a year difference in tuition is worth the nice facilities and friendlier students. As for Woots32 I would go ahead and see what Northwestern has to offer because you never know.

As I've stated before, I see a lot of NWU med students at my workplace...

They all said that yes, the interview was stressful and did leave them off-balance, but that none of the other interviewees are comfortable either, so it all balances out. And I believe NWU accepts a rather large percentage of its interviewees (maybe around or over 50%) so once you've interviewed there, you have a good shot at getting in.

They all seem to love it there, mainly cuz of the location and the pass/fail, but whatever floats your boat.

Well I'd like to encourage you NOT to go!

I'm dying for an interview there and would love to go to Northwestern! Actually the fact that I am a no-talent ass clown is probably why I haven't gotten an interview from them. :p

On a related note there seem to be a lot of SDNers that have been dumping their NU interviews or are thinking of not going. Not sure why though... :confused:

So last week I was waiting for a responce from UIC about my interview in October. I was waiting for the acceptance letter in the mail or the waitlist e-mail on the computer. Well I waited longer than most and what I got was neither of the two. I got a letter requesting a second interview. Has anyone heard of this from UIC? What would it be about? I understand high tier schools taking extra time to pick applicants, but UIC is a school that accepts a lot more students and is a little less competitive than other schools. Why would they not just accept or wiatlist me? I am a graduate student so I was thinking it has something to do with if I finish my degree on time, but could it be anything else? I hust want to be prepared for when I have to go back. What should I look for? Anyone had this experience? Thanks!!:confused:

Originally posted by Drnunia
So last week I was waiting for a responce from UIC about my interview in October. I was waiting for the acceptance letter in the mail or the waitlist e-mail on the computer. Well I waited longer than most and what I got was neither of the two. I got a letter requesting a second interview. Has anyone heard of this from UIC?

I haven't heard of this from UIC, but I guess anything is possible. From what I know (which granted, isn't much ;) ) is that usually when an additional interview is requested it is because there was some discrepancy in the application, or the interviewers didn't agree with each other. Two of the schools I interviewed at (Loyola and MCW) wouldn't let the interviewee leave until the admissions office had recieved the scores from both interviewers to make sure that they were similar - apparently to avoid the problem of one person loving you and the other hating you. :rolleyes: Or perhaps your AMCAS made the adcomm lean one way, and the interview another. Maybe they just have some more questions they would like you to answer. Who knows? :p

I'd say just go in there very confident, knowing you still have a shot at getting accepted. Try not to worry too much, and good luck! :)

I interviewed at N'western back in October. The interview was not stressful. In fact, it was the least stressful of all my interviews. I met with my fellow interviewies beforehand, we chatted, and came to the conclusion that we were not out to get one another. The hour passed before we knew it, and we were cordial the whole time! Don't get sucked into myths!

Hi! I'm living in Chicago and getting my master's. I got an interview to SIU, but no others yet except for DO. Got in at Midwestern in Downer's Grove. PM me!

Originally posted by Drnunia
So last week I was waiting for a responce from UIC about my interview in October. I was waiting for the acceptance letter in the mail or the waitlist e-mail on the computer. Well I waited longer than most and what I got was neither of the two. I got a letter requesting a second interview. Has anyone heard of this from UIC? What would it be about? I understand high tier schools taking extra time to pick applicants, but UIC is a school that accepts a lot more students and is a little less competitive than other schools. Why would they not just accept or wiatlist me? I am a graduate student so I was thinking it has something to do with if I finish my degree on time, but could it be anything else? I hust want to be prepared for when I have to go back. What should I look for? Anyone had this experience? Thanks!!:confused:

As I recall, something similar happened to someone with UKentucky earlier this year, and I think the guy got in a couple days after his second interview.

None of us can ever be sure about why they're doing this, but I'd venture, from the fact that they're using their time and resources and reinviting you, that perhaps you didn't do as well on the interview as you could have, and that UIC is looking for excuse to NOT reject you. In other words, suck it in, go again, and ace the interview, and I'm sure you'll get in.

Remember, if they wanted to reject you, they would have already. Instead, they're using on of their limited interview slots for you, again. Good luck.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that we're in for a very cold winter? I have a hunch we may see more snow than in recent years, too.

I know this really doesn't have anything to do with pre-allo, but seeing as we're all from one of the most rediculous climates on Earth... I guess misery loves company. ;)

No, you're right Woots32.

It's gonna be frickin' freezing. (I read this is the most snow we've seen this early since 1989.)

And it's *totally* on topic--watch this:

People coming to interview here in Chicago... it's gonna be very cold! Wear a coat!

See? Still on topic. As you were. :)

Yesterday, Tom Skilling said that el nino is coming in full force this year and we will see a great warm up from this winter. That's what he siad:rolleyes:

any news from IL folks??
(bump)

Much like the black troopers in Spaceballs on the desert (combing the desert with a pick),

"Man, I ain't found ****"

I have a feeling it'll be a while, although UIC rejected me 2 weeks ago (sort of unbelievable)

Later,

Gumshoe

Just out of curiosity, what's the turnaround time on N'western? I finished my app at the beginning of October, and I haven't heard a thing. I applied to all 7 IL schools, and got interviews so far at Loyola, U of Chicago, SIU, and Finch, but waiting for NW is killing me. A friend of mine (from Wisconsin) finished her app in AUGUST and hasn't heard yet. What's the deal?

I haven't heard anything either. However I know that UIC adcom hasn't met yet this month, so they will be making more decisions before christmas. And SIU's adcom will meet Dec. 17. So we may hear more stuff from other schools too before christmas.

I *just* heard from NU and finished my app around the same time... I bet you'll hear soon.

I had my app for NW in around mid-late August, and I just got an interview invite on Nov. 26th. :p I'm not sure yet, but I might not be going, so there may be a spot opening up on the 14th.

Sorry, but Explosivo gets first dibs. ;)