Illinois c/o 2017 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcatj

Mizzou c/o 2017!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm polluting the forum right now haha. Only one more I promise!

Members don't see this ad.

It's okay :) I'll add myself into this thread... and the other 10 I'm applying to. 2017 takeover!

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally made my mind up about Illinois, and I'm applying!

Good luck everyone! Feel free to PM if you have any questions about Illinois. I obviously can't tell you much about the school right now, lol, but I've been living here for 2 years so I can answer questions about the area.

Can't find any info on this, but does UIllinois vet school work closely with the Brookfield Zoo?

Can't find any info on this, but does UIllinois vet school work closely with the Brookfield Zoo?
I know you can do an externship there, but that's all I know. You can email admissions and ask them.

Not sure if you are from IL, but the Brookfield Zoo is over 100 miles away from the campus (the zoo is located in the Chicago area and campus is in Urbana ) . From what I heard they do have a relationship with that zoo but I don't know much about the programs.

If you are interested in wildlife, UIllinois has a student-run wildlife medical clinic that operates year round on campus. The clinic works on native IL wildlife that have injuries etc. People from around the area find wildlife and bring them in when they need medical attention. Students can actively get involved in that all through-out vet school.

Not sure if you are from IL, but the Brookfield Zoo is over 100 miles away from the campus (the zoo is located in the Chicago area and campus is in Urbana ) . From what I heard they do have a relationship with that zoo but I don't know much about the programs.

If you are interested in wildlife, UIllinois has a student-run wildlife medical clinic that operates year round on campus. The clinic works on native IL wildlife that have injuries etc. People from around the area find wildlife and bring them in when they need medical attention. Students can actively get involved in that all through-out vet school.

Oh thanks for the info! I'm not from Illinois and my friend at UIllinois failed to mention that the Brookfield Zoo is over 100 miles away.

For U of I's supplemental application there is a prompt that requires a 'one page of text' response... does anyone have any idea about how many words this should be? I guess I'm just confused if they mean double-spaced or single-spaced. It would be nice to have a better idea of how long and detailed I need to make it before I begin the process of planning out a response.

Thanks so much! :)

:D I will ad myself this to this thread as well

For U of I's supplemental application there is a prompt that requires a 'one page of text' response... does anyone have any idea about how many words this should be? I guess I'm just confused if they mean double-spaced or single-spaced. It would be nice to have a better idea of how long and detailed I need to make it before I begin the process of planning out a response.

I think you might have to email/call and ask admissions. Definitely let us know if you do though, because that's a great question!

Members don't see this ad :)

My supplemental essays when I applied were about one page single spaced and between 550 and 650 words.

My supplemental essays when I applied were about one page single spaced and between 550 and 650 words.
Awesome, thanks for the reply! I also asked a 1st year U of I vet student today and from what she remembers, she also said her response was single spaced.

I guess now that I know, I have no excuse to not get started on it... :hungover:

My essay from last year was around 660 words and single spaced. I think it's easiest to write it in Word or something similar first and then copy and paste it into the text box when you're finished. I also didn't cite any sources or anything in case anyone is confused about that too.

Okay, having a rough idea of how many words it normally is really helps, thanks!

Also, it is called a 'Personal Response' and while I know it's not suppose to be as 'personal' as our PS, should it be written in first person? I was originally thinking about making it more formal like a research paper but now I'm thinking it may be nice to add personal experiences to the response. For example, I want to talk about how I met a veterinarian while abroad in South Africa whose main job is to prevent hoof and mouth disease from infecting farmers' cattle. Is that okay to express personal opinions in first person or should I try to make it more formal?

Thanks! :)

Okay, having a rough idea of how many words it normally is really helps, thanks!

Also, it is called a 'Personal Response' and while I know it's not suppose to be as 'personal' as our PS, should it be written in first person? I was originally thinking about making it more formal like a research paper but now I'm thinking it may be nice to add personal experiences to the response. For example, I want to talk about how I met a veterinarian while abroad in South Africa whose main job is to prevent hoof and mouth disease from infecting farmers' cattle. Is that okay to express personal opinions in first person or should I try to make it more formal?

Is this for the question where they give you a specific topic and basically want to know your thoughts on it???

"The recent discovery in California of a fourth American cow with Bovine Spongioform Encephalopathy disease has heightened concern about the safety of the human food supply in the United States. Address the importance of the role veterinarians have in terms of ensuring the safety of the food supply chain"

Yep, here's the actual prompt. I've heard in the past U of I's question has been more open-ended but this year's is very specific and they designate exactly what they want you to talk about...

"The recent discovery in California of a fourth American cow with Bovine Spongioform Encephalopathy disease has heightened concern about the safety of the human food supply in the United States. Address the importance of the role veterinarians have in terms of ensuring the safety of the food supply chain"

Yep, here's the actual prompt. I've heard in the past U of I's question has been more open-ended but this year's is very specific and they designate exactly what they want you to talk about...

First of all :love: prions!!! Even though the diseases suck, I find them super interesting.

And second of all, yes, you may use first person and yes, use personal experiences. I did both last year and was wait listed (bombed the interview...it was horrible) and was accepted like 1.5 weeks after the April 16th decision deadline.

Yeah I think we got lucky this year with the prompt, it is specific and interesting :clap:, and thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to include my personal experiences!

Yeah I think we got lucky this year with the prompt, it is specific and interesting :clap:, and thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to include my personal experiences!

I actually liked last year's too. It wasn't too bad and I was able to use a portion of it for one of the essays on the Mizzou supplemental.

http://vetmed.illinois.edu/wmc/about.html

Also here is the page for U of I's Wildlife Medical Clinic for anyone who is interested in applying. IT IS SUCH A COOL PROGRAM :biglove:

I am the summer undergrad intern for the clinic so I apologize for the shameless self-promotion of it but believe me, the clinic's reason enough to move all the way to central Illinois and go to U of I's vet school!

And here's a few more articles about the WMC:
http://juneauempire.com/neighbors/2012-04-01/rescued-snowy-owl-illinois-going-alaska#.UAYnu7VdCnA
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/he...9/ui-wildlife-clinic-seeks-help-supplies.html
http://environmentalalmanac.blogspot.com/2012/03/visit-to-u-of-i-wildlife-medical-clinic.html

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a specific word limit that we should have for our boxes in the "Animal Contact Experience" on the IL supplemental application? I'm trying to figure out which length for the explanations is most ideal.

"With the exception of "no experience," please use the space provided to briefly indicate how you acquired your familiarity with the animal in question. For example: have had as pet for several years; working/volunteering in a veterinarian's office; grew up on a livestock farm; experience in an animal science course; etc."

They seem to give phrases, but for the majority of the animals I have more to say than just a phrase. So far mine are each little paragraphs explaining all of the most significant experieces where I learned how to work with those animals.

For example, I took ANSC 103 (Working with Farm Animals class) and for beef cattle I would rather not just say "worked with in class" I would like to describe in a little bit more detail (ie. restrained, drew blood, etc)

Then again, my paragraph idea might be too redundant from the VMCAS? any thoughts? stick with short phrases or explain a bit more???

Does anyone know if there is a specific word limit that we should have for our boxes in the "Animal Contact Experience" on the IL supplemental application? I'm trying to figure out which length for the explanations is most ideal.

"With the exception of "no experience," please use the space provided to briefly indicate how you acquired your familiarity with the animal in question. For example: have had as pet for several years; working/volunteering in a veterinarian's office; grew up on a livestock farm; experience in an animal science course; etc."

They seem to give phrases, but for the majority of the animals I have more to say than just a phrase. So far mine are each little paragraphs explaining all of the most significant experieces where I learned how to work with those animals.

For example, I took ANSC 103 (Working with Farm Animals class) and for beef cattle I would rather not just say "worked with in class" I would like to describe in a little bit more detail (ie. restrained, drew blood, etc)

Then again, my paragraph idea might be too redundant from the VMCAS? any thoughts? stick with short phrases or explain a bit more???

My advice would be to stick with short phrases. For that section, they don't care if you already know how to draw blood, give injections, etc., they just want to assess how comfortable you are working with certain species. You can go into more detail in VMCAS and I think it would be redundant to give those details in both.

That's just what I think though, you can always e-mail admissions but I really believe they'll tell you to use short phrases.

My advice would be to stick with short phrases. For that section, they don't care if you already know how to draw blood, give injections, etc., they just want to assess how comfortable you are working with certain species. You can go into more detail in VMCAS and I think it would be redundant to give those details in both.

That's just what I think though, you can always e-mail admissions but I really believe they'll tell you to use short phrases.

Yeah that's what I figured too but wasn't sure. So basically say in short phrases where you got your experience. Thank you :)

I'm actually quite jealous you've got something personal to add to the prompt. I feel like I'm writing a term paper...

Hi! I don't know if anyone else responded to this yet bc I haven't read the whole thread. But I actually met with one of the deans in the fall and he mentioned this part of the application to me. It is supposed to be a research paper. He said a lot of people don't treat it as such, they make it too personal and narrative like, and it has a negative impact on their chances of admission. I think they want it to be more of a research paper because they have your personal statement as a source of all your experiences...this is supposed to show a more academic side. And he also said to include a works cited at the bottom.

Hi! I don't know if anyone else responded to this yet bc I haven't read the whole thread. But I actually met with one of the deans in the fall and he mentioned this part of the application to me. It is supposed to be a research paper. He said a lot of people don't treat it as such, they make it too personal and narrative like, and it has a negative impact on their chances of admission. I think they want it to be more of a research paper because they have your personal statement as a source of all your experiences...this is supposed to show a more academic side. And he also said to include a works cited at the bottom.

Hi, Did you meet with Dr. Foreman by chance? I've talked to him before too, he's the Dean of Admissions there.

I do remember him mentioning something about it being a research paper. It should not be like the personal statement at all. He said it's supposed to be reflective of what YOU know about veterinary medicine. This paper is your chance to show them that you know what this field is all about.

I didn't know about the works cited thing. I think that's a very good point. If Dr. Foreman said to include it then I'm going to. My undergrad degree is in animal sciences so much of the stuff I wrote about were things I've learned in class, but I have used a couple of academic articles to make sure that what I was writing was actually true. Now that I think about it, I do remember Dr. Foreman saying that he encourages people to do some research when writing this paper.

And he also said to include a works cited at the bottom.

Second Question: Do you remember if he said to include in text citations? Or would just a works cited in MLA format at the bottom of the essay suffice?

I just used the articles to gather my ideas and I wrote the essay myself, so I'm not sure if I need in-text citations. I'll for sure reference them at the bottom of the essay in a works cited though.

Some people want research papers to have in text citations. So I'm not sure if they need that for sure? Any thoughts???

Second Question: Do you remember if he said to include in text citations? Or would just a works cited in MLA format at the bottom of the essay suffice?

I just used the articles to gather my ideas and I wrote the essay myself, so I'm not sure if I need in-text citations. I'll for sure reference them at the bottom of the essay in a works cited though.

Some people want research papers to have in text citations. So I'm not sure if they need that for sure? Any thoughts???

This whole essay thing is way too ambiguous. How would we know to have citations and make it a research paper type thing unless we are informed? I just don't like it!

This whole essay thing is way too ambiguous. How would we know to have citations and make it a research paper type thing unless we are informed? I just don't like it!

That is true. How would they expect us to do something if they don't tell us that in the directions (ie. do in text citations)?

Well I emailed them so we'll see what they say.

From my experiences with the Dean over there, if he says to make it more informative and less personal then I trust him.

Yes I think that was him...balding if I remember correctly. I actually haven't started mine yet (whoops...) but I plan on doing in text citations, they really won't take up that much space. I was an MCB major not ansci so I don't really have any knowledge from classes to fall back on, mine will be based purely on articles I find. It was last October I talked to him but I'm fairly sure he said to include a works cited, another girl I know applying said she was putting one in hers too. And I agree it is very ambiguous!

If you could post what he says in response to your email I'd really appreciate it!

If you could post what he says in response to your email I'd really appreciate it!

Yep once admissions gets back to me I'll let you know.

And you are correct, he is balding. Can be intimidating but very helpful I thought. It sounds like you go to U of I too. Dr. Foreman came to the pre-vet club Spring 2011 and gave a talk about admissions - that's where I'm getting most of my info. I think it wouldn't hurt to include the in-text citations. This means that my paper will go slightly over 1 page but I heard that they are not too picky about it.

Good luck with your essay!

When I did my file review with Dr. Foreman, he said that just briefly mentioning where your info came from in the essay and then citing it at the end was fine. For example, "according to Dr. blahblahblah in blah blah blah journal, .....paraphrasing or quote blah blah. (1)." and then finding a means of organizing the works cited appropriately with your in text citation. With that said, I still haven't started my essay yet! It's next on my to do list after finishing my PS.

For my essay last year, I didn't include a works cited. I did research on the topic (requiring that drugs be tested in labs on the animals they are intended for) and talked about how Advantix is poisonous to cats but not dogs and about the birth defects caused by .Thalidomide in the 1950's, but at no point did I cite any outside works. ..They obviously didn't care that much since they still accepted me. ..I also didn't include any citations in my paper from my first application and I got 27 out of 30 possible points for it.

I think if you are going to quote a person or a specific research paper, you should include some form of citation, but you don't need to have citations in your paper to be accepted, unless they've changed something from last year.

. I think if you are going to quote a person or a specific research paper, you should include some form of citation, but you don't need to have citations in your paper to be accepted, unless they've changed something from last year.

My one vet student friend who goes there didn't have the citations either. Thanks for your help, I agree that if you do quote something then you should have a proper citation.

My essay is finished and I have no quotes; I wrote it off my background knowledge from my undergrad degree (Animal Sciences) and a couple of articles that I used.

I emailed the adcoms about this and another question I had and they didn't answer me on this question. I think that if they don't include it in the directions then maybe we shouldn't worry about it. Unless of course you quote something word for word.

For my essay last year, I didn't include a works cited. I did research on the topic (requiring that drugs be tested in labs on the animals they are intended for) and talked about how Advantix is poisonous to cats but not dogs and about the birth defects caused by .Thalidomide in the 1950's, but at no point did I cite any outside works. ..They obviously didn't care that much since they still accepted me. ..I also didn't include any citations in my paper from my first application and I got 27 out of 30 possible points for it.

I think if you are going to quote a person or a specific research paper, you should include some form of citation, but you don't need to have citations in your paper to be accepted, unless they've changed something from last year.

Right I would agree. When I've wrote research papers in classes before you don't need to cite things that are "general knowledge". But if you discuss a particular piece of research, statistic, or specific scientific information I think it would be a good idea to cite. Like you said, I don't think not have a works cited will result in you getting declined from U of I...but they probably give you brownie points for having one!

so about this essay.... I should probably start it... :rolleyes:

I haven't started any of my supplemental essays yet. Trying to get the PS under control...

Just like Tco said, when I wrote my essay last year I didn't cite anything either. I gathered the info I needed by using google and such and used that information to put my thoughts together, but overall wrote my essay in my voice. If information is easy to come by, it generally does not need to be cited, and obviously they did not care about Tco and I not citing anything because here we are!

Yikes...I should have read this before I turned in my supplement. I wrote more generally about how veterinarians play an important role in the supply chain from disease detection --> food consumption. But I didn't include quotes or citations. I kinda just used general knowledge... :( We were supposed to know to use citations because...? Underground knowledge?? That's not fair :(

I am a total procrastinator and am just now doing my supplemental. I have a question about the animal experience ratings.

I have farm-sat for many owners over a ten year period. I have cared for all types of livestock and food animals during this time. However, I have never owned any, and the duration of my care is usually a few days to a few weeks, not several years as the criteria for checking 1 states.

However, I have had to monitor lambing ewes, bottle feed lambs, care for and move cattle, etc, so I dont feel putting 0 is a fair representation either. Suggestions?

Yikes...I should have read this before I turned in my supplement. I wrote more generally about how veterinarians play an important role in the supply chain from disease detection --> food consumption. But I didn't include quotes or citations. I kinda just used general knowledge... :( We were supposed to know to use citations because...? Underground knowledge?? That's not fair :(

No worries. I think everyone goes about supplementals a bit differently. Since there were no specific directions on how they wanted it done, people will adapt it to their own style. I wrote my supplementals off of my own background knowledge and did not include any quotations or citations. The way I view it, as long as you are discussing something that is pretty general knowledge, just make sure you fact check, but citations are not needed for these.

You do NOT need quotes or citations. I was accepted without a single quote or citation in my supplemental. IF you had used quotes than you would have needed to cite those quotes, but the quotes themselves are NOT necessary.

I am a total procrastinator and am just now doing my supplemental. I have a question about the animal experience ratings.

I have farm-sat for many owners over a ten year period. I have cared for all types of livestock and food animals during this time. However, I have never owned any, and the duration of my care is usually a few days to a few weeks, not several years as the criteria for checking 1 states.

However, I have had to monitor lambing ewes, bottle feed lambs, care for and move cattle, etc, so I dont feel putting 0 is a fair representation either. Suggestions?
I would put 1 and put in the description section that you've farm sat for other people for varying lengths of time over several years. You can also e-mail the admissions office if you're not sure.

Good to hear from veterans :) Thank you for the encouragement!

So, just wondering... What are they trying to gauge from the supplement essay? I understand they're trying to move beyond the "veterinarians-just-cure-puppies-and-kittens" idea, but, specifically, what were they looking for? I know there's nothing I can change now, but I think it'd be good to know just in case (HA! sigh) I get invited for an interview.

Also, is it supposed to take forever to match up the GRE score with our supplement? The other schools have said they've received my score, but Illinois hasn't matched it yet. I know it says the delay can take up to 4 weeks, but... you know.. anxiety and stress and blahblah :)

Also, is it supposed to take forever to match up the GRE score with our supplement? The other schools have said they've received my score, but Illinois hasn't matched it yet. I know it says the delay can take up to 4 weeks, but... you know.. anxiety and stress and blahblah :)

I don't mean to worry you, but I just made my account and it instantly matched it. Did you hit the "check status" button on the GRE page? I requested my scores to be sent at the beginning of the month. Did you put in your GRE registration number and everything?

Good to hear from veterans :) Thank you for the encouragement!

So, just wondering... What are they trying to gauge from the supplement essay? I understand they're trying to move beyond the "veterinarians-just-cure-puppies-and-kittens" idea, but, specifically, what were they looking for? I know there's nothing I can change now, but I think it'd be good to know just in case (HA! sigh) I get invited for an interview.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what they really look for in supplemental essays, but I think it is safe to say, what they want to see is a deeper understanding of veterinary medicine and to see that you know that there are many complicated layers to the field besides clinical practice.

As for the GRE scores, eh, are you basing that off of the portal? Sometimes that can be a tad slow, but if your worried, it never hurts to call.

I am not liking this essay prompt. Why couldn't the just ask why I want to go there. I could write a good 5 pages on that...