Illinois DPT Acceptance Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPT96

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m a chicago native applying to 9 schools but my top schools are in Illinois. I have my stats below and it would be great if people could give advice on how I can improve. Also, if you’ve been accepted to these schools, it would be great if you could post your stats as well.

Applying: Rosalind Franklin, Midwestern Downers Grove, Northwestern
(Out of state): Arcadia U, Wingate U, George Washington U,

cGPA: 3.37
pGPA: 3.5-3.65
GRE: V153, Q153, 4.5AW
Observation hours: ~300 hours
Extracurriculars: Rehabilitation tech at Shirley Ryan, rowing team for 4 years, national collegiate honor society, out of state ambassadors, Nordic club, relay for life team captain (fundraiser)

Thanks in advance for commenting. It’s a uncertain time and I hope this post can help others, like how others posts have helped me in my path.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there, I applied to some of your schools this past application cycle. I'll use my stats for you to compare with, and I'll also talk a bit about my experiences with the ones you are applying to.

University: Northern Illinois University
Major: Biological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.72 from PTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70-3.75 depending on the school.
GRE: V-149 / Q-146 / AW - 4.5
Extra-Curric: Employment with Kohl's (2,200+ hours), Seasonal employment at Meijer (280 hours), BLS Provider Certification, Adult and Pediatric First Aid / CPR / AED Certification. I also have 400-500+ hours working as a rehabilitation aide, but it wanted me to include experiences non-pt related here.
Volunteer: N/A
Hours: 600+ hours from both shadowing and working at an outpatient orthopedic setting (400-500+ are from working, 170 are from shadowing), 17 hours at a pediatric setting, 25 hours at an aquatic therapy setting, 17 hours at a private outpatient orthopedic setting, and 18 hours at a skilled nursing facility.
LORs: 1 from a PT who I've shadowed and currently work with, 1 from a PT who is also the assistant facility manager where I work, and 1 from a professor at NIU who is the anatomy lab director.
Acceptances: Carroll University
Applied: NIU, Midwestern-Downers Grove, Rosalind Franklin, UIC, and Carroll University (no interview required for these last two)
Waitlist: NIU (low on ranked waitlist and class was full)
Rejections: UIC, Midwestern-Downers Grove, Rosalind Franklin
Interviews: Midwestern-Downers Grove, NIU, and Rosalind Franklin

While my GPA's were fairly good, there were other aspects of my application that likely resulted in rejections. For example, when I applied to Midwestern they stated that they look for extracurriculars and volunteering in their admission requirements. I didn't have those, so that may have been a reason why I was rejected. However, my GRE score is below average overall and that may have been another reason for rejection. Likewise with Rosalind, my GPA's are much greater than their averages but the GRE score average is much higher than other schools (155ish). I asked them the reasons for rejection and they told me that they recommend me to look into research, retake the GRE, and gain experiences in underserved populations. One of the major differences compared to other schools is that Rosalind does MMI interviews rather than the typical one most schools do. The interview with Midwestern was very relaxed and felt like a conversation, which was also the first one I received. I personally didn't apply to Northwestern mainly due to the high cost, so I can't speak for that school. Overall, these are the reasons why I believe a school rejected me, but there can be other factors (interview, personal statement, etc.) Based on my experiences, I personally wish I applied to additional schools that are in Illinois or a few more out of state ones since I applied to ones that were mainly within a commuting distance for me.

My personal top choice was NIU, but unfortunately I was waitlisted with them. The last school I heard back from was Carroll University and that ended up being an acceptance. I think your GRE is fine and your GPA's are considered competitive. I can't speak about how a school decides to admit/waitlist/reject an applicant, but each one likely weighs aspects of an application differently. One may value GPA more, while another looks at your experiences more or about the same. In the end, make sure that every aspect of your application is the best you can make of it. Your personal statement is something you should definitely have a few qualified individuals look at and give feedback on. Practice with individuals who are able to give you proper feedback on interview performance as well, since that is definitely important.

Let me know if you have other questions, and I'll do my best to answer them with these schools. Definitely also get feedback from other students on here as well, since they can include other additional information that is valuable or better than mine and it's always a good idea to learn from another's perspective. Good luck!

thank you for the lengthy response! that’s really surprising those schools rejected you considering your high GPA.

do you think it helps my case that in undergrad, I was involved in volunteering at dog shelters, soup kitchens and operating score boards for hockey games then in post-grad, I was a graduate assistant for formulating a research project IRB for UIC? Before gaining my rehab tech position, I gained 250 hours of volunteer work at the rehab facility.

also when did you apply? I’m curious if the timing of your application submission affected your admission decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was surprised myself, I was hoping to get at least a few acceptances but only received one! Even more surprising is that although Carroll has 80 seats for their program, 60 of them are filled from direct admission by high school students and the remainder are filled by students applying to schools just as we are, so I was really surprised that they admitted me. Like I mentioned though, these schools definitely look into other aspects of an application and not solely just GPA (although GPA is still a big factor for many schools).

Since I don't have much experience with volunteering or any of that, someone on here could probably give better info on that than I can. In my opinion though, I think any sort of experience is valuable to include since you can gain helpful skills from them. For example, volunteering or experiences that required you to use leadership in some way is something that schools definitely value, and would look good for Midwestern (or any school out there). When it comes to your research experience, that would definitely stand out since not every applicant out there has that type of experience. It would look nice for Rosalind specifically. I remember that their curriculum and the school itself seemed research-heavy (same with Northwestern I believe). In general, having a large time commitment to a few activities rather than a large amount of experiences with hardly any time put into them will look better for applications.

In regards to shadowing experience with physical therapy, that is definitely valuable to have. I can't say that this is what schools do, but some may look to just make sure that you meet the minimum amount of hours they require when applying to their program. I personally think that having multiple settings of experiences is more valued than just having a large amount of hours in one setting. It's a bit hard right now with the current pandemic to shadow at certain settings, but if you are somehow able to shadow at an inpatient setting that would also stand out from other applicants. Most just have outpatient hours and no inpatient ones. Some schools out there I believe require both inpatient and outpatient, so definitely make sure you meet their requirements. I wasn't able to get any shadowing experience at a hospital unfortunately since its really hard, but was able to get in at a skilled nursing facility so possibly look into them if you can.

I can't remember at the top of my head, but I believe I started working on my application as soon as it opened up and submitted either late August or early September. It did not get verified until mid-September. Definitely submit as soon you believe your application is ready. PTCAS allows you to update things such as adding in new experiences, hours, etc. They include more information on this somewhere within their instructions when applying. Timing can be definitely important when it comes to schools. Midwestern and Rosalind were the only two that were rolling admissions based, which means that they start looking at applications as soon as they are verified and send interview invites, decisions, etc. with space permitting. Schools such as NIU, which have a deadline of October 1st for applications will not look at a single application until the deadline, so I don't think it made a difference with at least these schools. Midwestern invited me for an interview the week after my application got verified, and they let you choose a certain date for your interview done on the portal they link you. I interviewed with them the last week of October. A week later, I got an email from Rosalind saying my application is currently being reviewed. Oddly enough, they sent me an interview invite the week of Christmas after about two months of waiting. They let me choose between Jan 4th or mid-February for an interview. I went with February since I had a lot going on already and wasn't able to interview the following week. Overall, the timing can definitely impact a decision when it comes to a school that is rolling admissions based, but I don't think at least it makes a huge difference with schools that don't participate in this process.

Undergrad: Augsburg University
**A little bit of hope for those with low stats
Degree: B.S. Biology
Cumulative GPA: 3.22
Science GPA: 3.1
Pre-req GPA: ~3.6 (with highest grade)
GRE (first attempt): 157 V, 153 Q, 3.5 AW
GRE (second attempt): 154 V, 153 Q, 4.5 AW

Extra-Curriculars: 4 year member of the Augsburg softball team (captain senior year), 3 year member of tri-beta (Biology honor society), volunteer softball coach for 14U and 16U teams (three years), service manager at a restaurant for two years, currently working as a Patient Care Coordinator for a spine surgeon at an Ortho Clinic (2 years), dean’s list

Volunteer/Observation: 50 hours OP clinic, 50 hours IP acute care, 34 hours wellness/fitness center for spinal cord injury clients, 30 hours skilled nursing facility (current volunteer)

LORs: PT from facility I’m currently a volunteer at, Biology professor from undergrad, surgeon I work for, possibly also from a rep that we work with

Applied: Northwestern (ED) and Regis
Rejections: Regis
Waitlist: Northwestern (11/29)

Accepted: Northwestern (2/4)

Good luck to everyone this cycle!! So nervous but so excited! :)

I applied to NU because they put an emphasis on the application as a whole rather than just what my grades are. I took a couple years after undergrad to gain experience and retake a couple of pre-reqs that I wasn’t confident in. I was initially pushed back from ED to regular decision.. and then waitlisted... and finally accepted! :) I am currently a first year that’s getting ready to go to my first clinical and have nothing but amazing things to say about this program! I would focus definitely on gaining some additional volunteer/observation experience in different settings, write thorough and thoughtful essays, and strong letters of req! I think you’ve got a great shot!

If you have any questions about NU specifically, feel free to ask!

Hi everyone! I’m a chicago native applying to 9 schools but my top schools are in Illinois. I have my stats below and it would be great if people could give advice on how I can improve. Also, if you’ve been accepted to these schools, it would be great if you could post your stats as well.

Applying: Rosalind Franklin, Midwestern Downers Grove, Northwestern
(Out of state): Arcadia U, Wingate U, George Washington U,

cGPA: 3.37
pGPA: 3.5-3.65
GRE: V153, Q153, 4.5AW
Observation hours: ~300 hours
Extracurriculars: Rehabilitation tech at Shirley Ryan, rowing team for 4 years, national collegiate honor society, out of state ambassadors, Nordic club, relay for life team captain (fundraiser)

Thanks in advance for commenting. It’s a uncertain time and I hope this post can help others, like how others posts have helped me in my path.

**UPDATE**
Interview: Rosalind Franklin (10/2)

Final Update!

I have been accepted to Northwestern University for early decision. I’m astonished, ecstatic and overwhelmed all at the same time. Let me know if anyone has questions about the app process or early decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Final Update!

I have been accepted to Northwestern University for early decision. I’m astonished, ecstatic and overwhelmed all at the same time. Let me know if anyone has questions about the app process or early decision.
Congrats, that's awesome you have your first acceptance out of the way! My recommendation is to go with the cheapest option if you were to receive multiple acceptances in the near future depending on what you're looking for with these schools.

Undergrad: The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major: Community Health, Minor Business
Overall GPA: 3.37
Science GPA: 3.71
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70-4.0 school dependent
GRE: V-155 / Q-154 / AW-5.0

Employment:
Assistant Dance Coach for a high school competitive team, Walmart Cashier on and off throughout college breaks, Meijer bakery employee one summer, Choreographer for a different high school dance team
Volunteer:
Volunteer Dance Coach for high school competitive team (before I was hired as the assistant coach), Animal Shelter, Hospital ER, local women’s shelter, election judge
Extracurricular Activities:
Intern to the Director of Hospital Operations (semester hospital internship), Study Abroad (Sydney, Australia), Miss Lake in the Hills scholarship pageant queen, Vitality Dance Team member and recital choreographer, Velocity Dance Team Co-captain and exec board (PR & Social Media), Future Health Care Executives club, Mexican Student Organization, Alpha Chi Omega sorority member & recruitment board
Observation Hours:
635 paid inpatient skilled nursing (verified), 658 paid outpatient clinic (verified), 101 volunteer outpatient neuro rehab clinic (unverified, company merged and staff is now gone)
LORs:
PT/Facility Manager at the outpatient clinic I work at, additional PT I work with there, chemistry II professor at my community college (recent class)

Applying to:
Illinois: Midwestern, UIC, Governors State, Rosalind Franklin, NIU, Northwestern
Out of State: Chatham, Franklin Pierce AZ, Thomas Jefferson, St. Augustine TX, Washington St. Louis, Wisconsin Madison

Reaaaaally nervous about this, my overall GPA is so low.

Has anyone that did not apply early decision heard from Northwestern yet? On their PTCAS page it says notifications would be ongoing and start "as early as September 15th."

Has anyone that did not apply early decision heard from Northwestern yet? On their PTCAS page it says notifications would be ongoing and start "as early as September 15th."

I applied for regular decision! Early decision all heard back by Sept. 15th. I’m assuming since they just finished going over early decision applicants that they might just now be reviewing regular decision.

Last edited:

Have not heard anything yet, applied 9/1

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied regular decision to Northwestern on 9/1 and just received an acceptance offer!! I'm super excited and thrilled - this is my first acceptance!

Reactions: 2 users
I applied regular decision to Northwestern on 9/1 and just received an acceptance offer!! I'm super excited and thrilled - this is my first acceptance!
Congratulations! Did you receive a call or email?

You rock! Congrats!

I also received my first acceptance from Northwestern yesterday too! Congrats :)

Hey everyone, just got an acceptance to Northwestern! I applied 9/13 regular decision. Here were my stats:

University: University of Oregon
Major: Human Physiology, Psychology minor
cGPA: 3.51
prereq GPA: ~3.4
GRE: 154 V, 159 Q, 5 AW
LOR: 1 PT, 1 professor, 1 PI
extra curricular: Full time Research Laboratory Tech in a spinal cord injury lab at Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, undergraduate researcher w/ poster presentation, fraternity leadership, tour guide for school, trip leader through international affairs department, wellness center volunteer

volunteer/hours: ~150 verified: 30 inpatient, 80 general ortho, 10 vestibular, 30 university health center

Applying to: University Colorado, Northwestern, University Miami, U of Washington, CSULB, CSUN, UNE, Western, RMUHP. UIC

UPDATE: Accepted at RFU and USC

I received an interview invite for Rosalind Franklin last week and an acceptance for Northwestern today! Here are my stats:

Applied: NU, RFU, Columbia, UMN, Colorado, GWU, USC, WesternU, UofWashington
Interview: GWU, Western U
Accepted: UMN, NU, Columbia, USC, RFU

Undergrad: University of Colorado Boulder
Major: Integrative Physiology, Minor: Theatre, Certificate: Public Health
Overall GPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.5
GRE: 157V, 156Q, 4AW
Observation hours: 84 outpatient ortho, 230 Sports Med w/ D1 Varsity Athletes, 68 inpatient acute care
LOR: 1 PT, 1 science prof, 1 psych prof, 1 employer
Extracurriculars: A lot of different leadership positions in residence life, Sports Medicine Internship, Hospital Volunteering (1 year ED, 1 year rehab services), Volunteering at a PT clinic on campus, Honors program, Spring Break service trip, VP of a service honorary, and currently working full time as a tech/aid at an outpatient ortho clinic.

Last edited:

Employment:
Assistant Dance Coach for a high school competitive team, Walmart Cashier on and off throughout college breaks, Meijer bakery employee one summer, Choreographer for a different high school dance team
Volunteer:
Volunteer Dance Coach for high school competitive team (before I was hired as the assistant coach), Animal Shelter, Hospital ER, local women’s shelter, election judge
Intern to the Director of Hospital Operations (semester hospital internship), Study Abroad (Sydney, Australia), Miss Lake in the Hills scholarship pageant queen, Vitality Dance Team member and recital choreographer, Velocity Dance Team Co-captain and exec board (PR & Social Media), Future Health Care Executives club, Mexican Student Organization, Alpha Chi Omega sorority member & recruitment board
Observation Hours:
635 paid inpatient skilled nursing (verified), 658 paid outpatient clinic (verified), 101 volunteer outpatient neuro rehab clinic (unverified, company merged and staff is now gone)
LORs:
PT/Facility Manager at the outpatient clinic I work at, additional PT I work with there, chemistry II professor at my community college (recent class)

Applying to:
Illinois: Midwestern, UIC, Governors State, Rosalind Franklin, NIU, Northwestern
Out of State: Chatham, Franklin Pierce AZ, Thomas Jefferson, St. Augustine TX, Washington St. Louis, Wisconsin Madison

Interviews: Thomas Jefferson, Chatham, & Rosalind Franklin

Update: Interview invitations at Thomas Jefferson, Chatham, & Rosalind Franklin

Update 2: Interview invitation at Northern Illinois

Last edited:
Does anyone know the usual turn around for Midwestern DG?

Hey there, I applied to some of your schools this past application cycle. I'll use my stats for you to compare with, and I'll also talk a bit about my experiences with the ones you are applying to.

Major: Biological Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.72 from PTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.70-3.75 depending on the school.
GRE: V-149 / Q-146 / AW - 4.5
Extra-Curric: Employment with Kohl's (2,200+ hours), Seasonal employment at Meijer (280 hours), BLS Provider Certification, Adult and Pediatric First Aid / CPR / AED Certification. I also have 400-500+ hours working as a rehabilitation aide, but it wanted me to include experiences non-pt related here.
Volunteer: N/A
Hours: 600+ hours from both shadowing and working at an outpatient orthopedic setting (400-500+ are from working, 170 are from shadowing), 17 hours at a pediatric setting, 25 hours at an aquatic therapy setting, 17 hours at a private outpatient orthopedic setting, and 18 hours at a skilled nursing facility.
LORs: 1 from a PT who I've shadowed and currently work with, 1 from a PT who is also the assistant facility manager where I work, and 1 from a professor at NIU who is the anatomy lab director.
Acceptances: Carroll University
Applied: NIU, Midwestern-Downers Grove, Rosalind Franklin, UIC, and Carroll University (no interview required for these last two)
Waitlist: NIU (low on ranked waitlist and class was full)
Rejections: UIC, Midwestern-Downers Grove, Rosalind Franklin
Interviews: Midwestern-Downers Grove, NIU, and Rosalind Franklin

While my GPA's were fairly good, there were other aspects of my application that likely resulted in rejections. For example, when I applied to Midwestern they stated that they look for extracurriculars and volunteering in their admission requirements. I didn't have those, so that may have been a reason why I was rejected. However, my GRE score is below average overall and that may have been another reason for rejection. Likewise with Rosalind, my GPA's are much greater than their averages but the GRE score average is much higher than other schools (155ish). I asked them the reasons for rejection and they told me that they recommend me to look into research, retake the GRE, and gain experiences in underserved populations. One of the major differences compared to other schools is that Rosalind does MMI interviews rather than the typical one most schools do. The interview with Midwestern was very relaxed and felt like a conversation, which was also the first one I received. I personally didn't apply to Northwestern mainly due to the high cost, so I can't speak for that school. Overall, these are the reasons why I believe a school rejected me, but there can be other factors (interview, personal statement, etc.) Based on my experiences, I personally wish I applied to additional schools that are in Illinois or a few more out of state ones since I applied to ones that were mainly within a commuting distance for me.

My personal top choice was NIU, but unfortunately I was waitlisted with them. The last school I heard back from was Carroll University and that ended up being an acceptance. I think your GRE is fine and your GPA's are considered competitive. I can't speak about how a school decides to admit/waitlist/reject an applicant, but each one likely weighs aspects of an application differently. One may value GPA more, while another looks at your experiences more or about the same. In the end, make sure that every aspect of your application is the best you can make of it. Your personal statement is something you should definitely have a few qualified individuals look at and give feedback on. Practice with individuals who are able to give you proper feedback on interview performance as well, since that is definitely important.

Let me know if you have other questions, and I'll do my best to answer them with these schools. Definitely also get feedback from other students on here as well, since they can include other additional information that is valuable or better than mine and it's always a good idea to learn from another's perspective. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your stats and all this info! Do you mind sharing any info you have on the Rosalind Franklin interview? I have an upcoming virtual one in a couple weeks :)

Employment:
Volunteer:
Observation Hours:
LORs:

Applying to:

UPDATE:
Accepted: NIU, Midwestern, Thomas Jefferson, Chatham, St Augustine

Waitlisted: Northwestern

Still waiting to hear decisions: UIC, Rosalind, Governors State, Franklin Pierce

Hi i am trying to decide between Columbia and Northwestern so I would love to talk to some people who are going to Northwestern.

UPDATE:
Accepted: NIU, Midwestern, Thomas Jefferson, Chatham, St Augustine

Waitlisted: Northwestern

Still waiting to hear decisions: UIC, Rosalind, Governors State, Franklin Pierce
Update: accepted at NIU, Midwestern, Thomas Jefferson, Chatham, St Augustine, UIC, Rosalind, and Franklin Pierce! Declined GovSt interview as I have already committed to attending UIC!

Last edited:
Wanted to post my stats because they were really useful for me when I was applying!
Major: Health Sciences: Pre PT
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.92 from my NIU transcript, 3.84 from PTCAS (factoring in comm college classes)
Science: 3.67
GRE: V-157 / Q-153 / AW - 4.5
Extra-Curric: i have worked at a retail store for about 4 years; was in the Pre PT club, student health organization, and the MSA; CPR/first aid certified and i went on a volunteer trip to memphis in spring 2020; graduated summa cum laude; deans list every semester
Hours: about 95 hours
Applied: (way too many schools don't do this lol): northwestern, UIC, UINDY, UNE, Rosalind Franklin, Bradley, Midwestern, NIU, Governors State
Interviews: UIC, UINDY, Rosalind, Midwestern, NIU, governors state (they offered me an interview and then forget to ever schedule it sooo)
Waitlisted: Northwestern, Rosalind Franklin, Bradley
Accepted: UIC, UINDY, UNE, Midwestern, NIU
Unsure: Governors State

Accepted an offer at UIC my top choice :)

Did you ever contact governors state? They sent an email on how to schedule interviews. But you been accepted into many. So you should be fine.

Wanted to post my stats because they were really useful for me when I was applying!
Major: Health Sciences: Pre PT
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.92 from my NIU transcript, 3.84 from PTCAS (factoring in comm college classes)
Science: 3.67
GRE: V-157 / Q-153 / AW - 4.5
Extra-Curric: i have worked at a retail store for about 4 years; was in the Pre PT club, student health organization, and the MSA; CPR/first aid certified and i went on a volunteer trip to memphis in spring 2020; graduated summa cum laude; deans list every semester
Hours: about 95 hours
Applied: (way too many schools don't do this lol): northwestern, UIC, UINDY, UNE, Rosalind Franklin, Bradley, Midwestern, NIU, Governors State
Interviews: UIC, UINDY, Rosalind, Midwestern, NIU, governors state (they offered me an interview and then forget to ever schedule it sooo)
Waitlisted: Northwestern, Rosalind Franklin, Bradley
Accepted: UIC, UINDY, UNE, Midwestern, NIU
Unsure: Governors State

Accepted an offer at UIC my top choice :)
Hey, me too! Hello future classmate!