This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess it is end of October If OP has applied already, what are your results op. Any II? That should answer your question anyway right?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Stay the course. Also, I have never heard of an unofficial cut-off of 510, but maybe you are referring to your state schools. I had the exact same MCAT score and a considerably lower GPA and gained an MD acceptance this cycle. Perhaps something else on your application held you back.

Also, I never received an II from the DO school in my state, but have received an acceptance from an MD school in my state. DO acceptance is not a guarantee, and you should be thankful for your spot. I have a hard time imagining any med school taking the time to try to figure out your motives for switching at this point in your education, especially with the number of applicants in each cycle. Just my 2 cents!!
i think i messed up on the mcat and my interviews. my mcat score was really just slightly above the unofficial cutoff for a lot of schools. the average mcat score for some of these schools was in the 515's

We take one native M1 DO and put them into the wilds of M1 MD. How long will they survive in this new environment? Will they be able to survive among the native MD students armed with their knowledge of osteopathic manipulative treatment? One show is crazy enough to put it to the test!

DO THE MD. NAKED AND AFRAID.
thanks for the reply!

So you telling me that a 4.0/507/515 was not good enough for MD the first time. Yea... Im calling Bull$h!t
507 wasn't good enough the first time. I wish that the adcoms felt how you did when I applied the first time.

OP, what schools did you apply to when you applied MD only?
oh BOY. I applied to a lot of schools. I'd really rather not give you a full list, but I'll tell you that I basically applied to all the ones in my state and all the Ivies and elites. It's embarrassing how many I applied to.

I think the reactions on here might be decently representative of the ones you would get from many adcoms.

I'm only an accepted student this cycle so my opinion potentially won't carry that much weight, but I do think the most important thing is to be honest with yourself. deep down, why really do you think you're dissatisfied with where you are? would you really take any MD school, regardless of reputation or rotation quality, over your current school?

ultimately, I think that if applying to MD schools this cycle is something you need to do to personally get that "what if" settled in your mind, you do you. I just worry that the "what if there's something else better/easier/more prestigious out there that I could have had" mentality will prevail regardless of where you are. I hope it doesn't and that applying this cycle, no matter the outcome, will ground you.

best of luck with everything. for what it's worth, I think you've handled the criticisms here quite gracefully. they have valid points, but I can't imagine it being easy.
Thank you. This was a much gentler response than a lot of the comments I've been getting lately (probably well-deserved, though). Yeah, I guess I'm worried about regretting not pursuing the MD and spending the rest of my life thinking --what if. I do, however, appreciate the frankness of everyone's comments so far.

I guess it is end of October If OP has applied already, what are your results op. Any II? That should answer your question anyway right?
No results yet. I haven't heard from anyone yet. Also, I'm a bit new to this site. What's II?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i messed up on the mcat and my interviews. my mcat score was really just slightly above the unofficial cutoff for a lot of schools. the average mcat score for some of these schools was in the 515's

thanks for the reply!

507 wasn't good enough the first time. I wish that the adcoms felt how you did when I applied the first time.

oh BOY. I applied to a lot of schools. I'd really rather not give you a full list, but I'll tell you that I basically applied to all the ones in my state and all the Ivies and elites. It's embarrassing how many I applied to.

Thank you. This was a much gentler response than a lot of the comments I've been getting lately (probably well-deserved, though). Yeah, I guess I'm worried about regretting not pursuing the MD and spending the rest of my life thinking --what if. I do, however, appreciate the frankness of everyone's comments so far.

No results yet. I haven't heard from anyone yet. Also, I'm a bit new to this site. What's II?
Interview invite

I think you also messed up your school list. Why did you apply to all top 20 schools? Your MCAT was probably outside the bottom 10 percentile for all of them.

Sounds too top-heavy. A lot of applicants sell themselves short by applying to a relatively narrow range of top-heavy and/or low-yield schools. Perhaps a broader school list would have yielded an MD acceptance, but nevertheless, what is done is done.

Why did you apply to all top 20 schools? Your MCAT was probably outside the bottom 10 percentile for all of them.

Same reason he applied to DO school : lack of research.

No worries though, a 2nd year medical student would be even more competitive for MD schools!

Because why would they take super star, LM 80 applicants in their first application cycle when they could take someone who couldn't hack it in their first year of medical school?

This may be exactly your problem.

For someone that's so pathetically desperate for an MD acceptance, you might want to keep that attitude in check.

I figured you applied to a bunch of ivies. You may have applied to a lot of schools but it doesn't help if they're all top of the top. I stand by my comment that you could have gotten an MD the first round with your 507 if you applied smarter. It sounds like you had zero safety schools other than your state schools. If you applied to about 20 in range schools with maybe only 3 ivies you would have landed on. In state and nothing but ivies was your problem not the 4.0/507

Interview invite
thank you!

I think you also messed up your school list. Why did you apply to all top 20 schools? Your MCAT was probably outside the bottom 10 percentile for all of them.
Sounds too top-heavy. A lot of applicants sell themselves short by applying to a relatively narrow range of top-heavy and/or low-yield schools. Perhaps a broader school list would have yielded an MD acceptance, but nevertheless, what is done is done.
^i didn't mention this, but my in-state schools also included safeties. Like, objectively safety schools. And I also did a handful of out-of-state safeties.

For someone that's so pathetically desperate for an MD acceptance, you might want to keep that attitude in check.

I foresee a short SDN career that will end in a ban.

OP, get over yourself. If you really want the MD then drop out and go for it. Stop sneaking behind your schools back. You need to own up to your insecurity.

Reactions: 1 users