I'm a nursing student who wants to go to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:sleep: My nursing diagnosis for you is: Disturbed personal identity related to webforum conflict as evidenced by distress about clinical inexperience and unfunny comebacks.

Um...I wouldn't take any diagnosis coming from a nurse seriously, much less one from an anonymous poster on an internet forum.

Disturbed? Because I gave you advice you didn't like? Honey, I've gone through this process successfully and I think I know more than you do about it, you know, being a medical student and all. You amuse me. But that's okay, I need some entertainment once in a while.

Members don't see this ad.

That was a pretty weak attempt to send some reality my way. You talk to your mother with that mouth?

my mother is a nurse. my mother also isn't a young, naive, arrogant, stupid, college student with no common sense or intelligence.

if you want to be a nurse, go to nursing school. if you don't want to be a nurse, let somebody else have your spot who does want to be a nurse.

i was once in a boat similar to yours. i was going to major in nursing and apply to med school and if i didn't get in, i'd just be a nurse. after going to that all ohio pre-med day and talking to admission committees, i promptly left nursing. down the road, if i decide to pursue nursing, i'll probably do a 3 year program to get my MSN and become some type of NP.

if i was a mod, you'd no longer be on this forum.

and i'm still scratching my head wondering how someone can be THIS stupid... :confused:

if you want advice, ask for it. you will receive it. take in the advice (as there are some VERY knowledgeable people on here including admission committee members). if you don't care to hear the advice, don't ask. you just wasted a lot of our time, although did provide some entertainment. *sigh* yet another dumb pre-med who will never make it in the health care field.

success.jpg

rofl fits this topic so well

Members don't see this ad :)
my mother is a nurse. my mother also isn't a young, naive, arrogant, stupid, college student with no common sense or intelligence.

if you want to be a nurse, go to nursing school. if you don't want to be a nurse, let somebody else have your spot who does want to be a nurse.

i was once in a boat similar to yours. i was going to major in nursing and apply to med school and if i didn't get in, i'd just be a nurse. after going to that all ohio pre-med day and talking to admission committees, i promptly left nursing. down the road, if i decide to pursue nursing, i'll probably do a 3 year program to get my MSN and become some type of NP.

and i'm still scratching my head wondering how someone can be THIS stupid... :confused:

if you want advice, ask for it. you will receive it. take in the advice (as there are some VERY knowledgeable people on here including admission committee members). if you don't care to hear the advice, don't ask. you just wasted a lot of our time, although did provide some entertainment. *sigh* yet another dumb pre-med who will never make it in the health care field.

Zero real world experience and a bad attitude... aren't you a little prize. I'm not the one throwing insults around in a temper tantrum. I reported you to the mods twice.

It's like I said: I'm going through with my decision to apply to med school after laboring away for many years as a nurse. Thanks for the reply, even if I have to sift through a bunch of BS like I'm fishing out a cracker jack prize. I respect you guys, really, I do. I can really empathize with you about how hard it is to go into med school without the experience that I'll have.

Ok, first of all, I came to this thread in your defense. So thanks. But for the record, it wasn't hard at all to go into med school without the 'experience' you'll 'have'. Success in medical school has nothing to do with your ability to execute the duties of a nurse. It has to do with the ability to critically apply basic science knowledge to dynamic disease processes, develop a differential, formulate a diagnosis, develop a treatment plan, evaluate the effectiveness of this treatment plan, adjust as necessary, and determine when treatment can be discontinued. You don't learn the basic science in nursing school, which is kinda the first step along that path, so good luck.

:sleep: My nursing diagnosis for you is: Disturbed personal identity related to webforum conflict as evidenced by distress about clinical inexperience and unfunny comebacks.

Is that diagnosis similar to 'energy field disturbance'?

Which is why you're not a mod. Would you also have tasered a student for being a loudmouth?

See, I can disagree with literally every poster on one thread, about SOMETHING. How exciting! :)

Zero real world experience and a bad attitude... aren't you a little prize. I'm not the one throwing insults around in a temper tantrum. I reported you to the mods twice.

Yes you are. Please report me to the mods three times. I like to win, and right now she's ahead 2-0!

Ok, first of all, I came to this thread in your defense. So thanks. But for the record, it wasn't hard at all to go into med school without the 'experience' you'll 'have'. Success in medical school has nothing to do with your ability to execute the duties of a nurse. It has to do with the ability to critically apply basic science knowledge to dynamic disease processes, develop a differential, formulate a diagnosis, develop a treatment plan, evaluate the effectiveness of this treatment plan, adjust as necessary, and determine when treatment can be discontinued. You don't learn the basic science in nursing school, which is kinda the first step along that path, so good luck.

I appreciate that you came to my defense, really. I will keep on plugging away and studying, with hopes of getting into med school eventually. Even if there are people who don't like it or like me for doing it. I talked to my sports doctor today, and he said that he knows plenty of nurses turned MD's, and he encouraged me to go through with my plan.

Wow, you're graduating w/ a micro degree in 09'? How do you like sitting in front of those microscopes all day? HAhahahahaha. I'm secretly hoping your bacteria cultures don't get spoiled by your dirty mouth.

I just fell backwards I was laughing so hard. I guess I'll have to go see my homeopath physician tomorrow, right before going to my appointment with the witch doctor. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you're graduating w/ a micro degree in 09'? How do you like sitting in front of those microscopes all day? HAhahahahaha. I'm secretly hoping your bacteria cultures don't get spoiled by your dirty mouth.

Just so you know, you're coming across as quite immature. Y'all disagree, that's fine. quit picking petty little fights. dirty mouth blah blah blah, please grow up. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to being late for the time being.

I just fell backwards I was laughing so hard. I guess I'll have to go see my homeopath physician tomorrow, right before going to my appointment with the witch doctor. ;)

Don't think you're getting out of this without your own nursing diagnosis. For you, I say "Risk for ineffective coping related to feelings of inadequacy as evidenced by inferiority complex." And I'm sending some bad juju your way, c/o the witch doctor.

I hear sticking a needle into the proper chi point will help to organize the energy flow. I also hear the chi point is your scrotum. Let me know how that goes :) And if it doesn't seem to work, remember what your mommy told you: If at first you don't succeed, TRY TRY AGAIN!

Just so you know, you're coming across as quite immature. Y'all disagree, that's fine. quit picking petty little fights. dirty mouth blah blah blah, please grow up. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to being late for the time being.

alright alright, I'm all done. It was fun, though. Really, I've got studying to do.

Don't think you're getting out of this without your own nursing diagnosis. For you, I say "Risk for ineffective coping related to feelings of inadequacy as evidenced by inferiority complex." And I'm sending some bad juju your way, c/o the witch doctor.

If there is anyone on this thread with inferiority complex, it's not me. ;)

alright alright, I'm all done. It was fun, though. Really, I've got studying to do.

Yes, you do.

Ba-dump, CHING!

I couldn't restrain myself :)

Hey everyone. Let's continue to respect everyone's opinion, without personal attacks, regardless of who started it.

To the OP: If you desire to switch from nursing to medicine, then go for it. Clinical experience is a definite plus, and it will certainly help you acclimate faster to the clinical lingo spoken in hospitals, but everyone has to conquer those ominous first 2 years of book work in medical school. If you take the required classes, do well on the MCAT, and if you have meaningful clinical experience (maybe a little research), you should do quite well in the application process.

Hey everyone. Let's continue to respect everyone's opinion, without personal attacks, regardless of who started it.

To the OP: If you desire to switch from nursing to medicine, then go for it. Clinical experience is a definite plus, and it will certainly help you acclimate faster to the clinical lingo spoken in hospitals, but everyone has to conquer those ominous first 2 years of book work in medical school. If you take the required classes, do well on the MCAT, and if you have meaningful clinical experience (maybe a little research), you should do quite well in the application process.

You mean if I have good stats, and good clinical experience, and good ECs, and do well on the MCAT, I will have a good chance?

Nah...why didn't somebody say that before?

Jk, jk.

Why doesn't EVERYONE get a nursing diagnosis??? <pout>

==>Grabs popcorn, and takes a seat..
Troll alert on.

==>Grabs popcorn, and takes a seat..
Troll alert on.

Of course, but late at night, and confined to one thread.... it's all fun :)

By the way, you shouldn't eat popcorn unless you brought enough for everyone.....

To nurse: it will probably a longer road to med school than you realize.

To premeds: it will probably be a longer road to med school than you realize. Dont belittle others on their way.

To new med students: It will definitely be a much longer road through med school than you could ever fathom. After 2 weeks of school dont act like you know what's going on.

To new med students: It will definitely be a much longer road through med school than you could ever fathom. After 2 weeks of school dont act like you know what's going on.

Words of wisdom. The last year was both the longest and the quickest of my life.

To nurse: it will probably a longer road to med school than you realize.

To premeds: it will probably be a longer road to med school than you realize. Dont belittle others on their way.

5 weeks, thank you very much. :D

I'm usually very civil, but sometimes, especially late at night when I'm overdosed in caffeine, I can get a little crazy and get the desperate need to make fun of ridiculous comments. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Of course, but late at night, and confined to one thread.... it's all fun :)

By the way, you shouldn't eat popcorn unless you brought enough for everyone.....

No, no. Popcorn gives you lung disease, you shouldn't be eating that anyway. I like snacking on anything caffeinated, myself.

No, no. Popcorn gives you lung disease

WTF??

Quick vote, you guys get to pick my nightcap:

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat

Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

voting will not be open long, so hurry!

And you look so hip with your fro!

As far as the hard liquor suggestions, I'm more of a gin or scotch kinda fellow. It's too late for alcohol though, I'm just gonna eat some liquid bread. Think I'll try the summer wheat, never had that particular one before.

I'm a beer nerd.

Lol, don't let the hair fool ya :).

Anyway folks, the thread has deteriorated significantly, and a valient attempt was made to answer the OP's question. So we'll call it a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.