I'm a weird applicant -- What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

consciouszack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of a different background than most, so I'd appreciate any feedback about my chances. Here goes:

2007: B.B.A. in Finance (small private school), 3.1 GPA (some W's and C's in there)
2010: 30 hours of Philosophy @ state school, 3.85 GPA
2011: 26 hours of science (prereqs) taken at community college, 4.0 GPA

Personal story: I have Crohn's Disease, and I want to be a GI. I've personally seen the tremendous impact that a knowledgeable physician can have on one's quality of life, and I want to provide that. I also think IBD is fascinating, and I genuinely enjoy reading the latest research on the topic. I'm leaning DO simply because I love the idea of treating people from a more holistic approach, but I'm open to allopathic as well.

State: Texas

Volunteer history: Volunteer consultant for a microfinance non-profit in India for three months during 2007, one semester of hospital volunteering and shadowing a GI.

So, what do you think? I got a finance degree, worked in some various business positions, then considered being a philosophy professor. However, I found that too detached and decided medicine was my true calling, specifically gastroenterology. I know I'm a weird applicant, but do I stand a chance? If so, will I be competitive at MD programs as well as DO?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a bit of a different background than most, so I'd appreciate any feedback about my chances. Here goes:

2007: B.B.A. in Finance (small private school), 3.1 GPA (some W's and C's in there)
2010: 30 hours of Philosophy @ state school, 3.85 GPA
2011: 26 hours of science (prereqs) taken at community college, 4.0 GPA

MCAT: 39

Personal story: I have Crohn's Disease, and I want to be a GI. I've personally seen the tremendous impact that a knowledgeable physician can have on one's quality of life, and I want to provide that. I also think IBD is fascinating, and I genuinely enjoy reading the latest research on the topic. I'm leaning DO simply because I love the idea of treating people from a more holistic approach, but I'm open to allopathic as well.

State: Texas

Volunteer history: Volunteer consultant for a microfinance non-profit in India for three months during 2007, one semester of hospital volunteering and shadowing a GI.

So, what do you think? I got a finance degree, worked in some various business positions, then considered being a philosophy professor. However, I found that too detached and decided medicine was my true calling, specifically gastroenterology. I know I'm a weird applicant, but do I stand a chance? If so, will I be competitive at MD programs as well as DO?

Thanks!

Given your GPA and MCAT, you have a strong chance at MD and DO. Keep in mind that in order to do GI, you need to first match into an internal medicine program and then into a fellowship, both of which may be easier with an MD degree.

I'm not really qualified to offer an opinion on the difference between the actual training of the two degrees, but I'm not sure that you have the full story with regard to how similar the training is - very, from what I understand.

I'll let other, nicer people inform you about ECs so that they don't have to quote a huge block of text to argue with me - only a moderately sized one.

Jake,
Thanks for the feedback. I have a LOT to learn, and I have a lot of questions about the difference between the two degrees. I have thick skin, so I welcome any response that anyone wishes to give.

I think the most important thing for you to do is beef up your clinical experience (more shadowing and hospital volunteering) . You're in a good position, being a Texas resident, as there are plenty of TX schools, and most heavily favor Texan applicants. Your MCAT is great, and you have a unique background that will make you stand out from the crowd. Your lack of research experience will make the top research schools quite a reach, but as tantacles already said, I think you're competitive for both MD and DO programs. And as already stated, an MD will make it easier for you to match into many residency programs, so I think you should consider applying to MD programs as well.

A similarity: I have celiac disease, and I'm also interested in GI. The positive impact my GI doc had on my life was pretty huge, and it was a big inspiration for my choice to pursue medicine.

Best of luck to you!