I'm at a total loss...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhudez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I don't even know where to begin.. So in my biology lab I turned in my final report, a week later one of my classmates were struggling in finishing the report and kept texting me asking for help. I felt bad, considering he hadn't turned it in and it was going to be extremely late, so I decided to help him out. I was busy at the time so I sent him my report and told him to not copy it and just use it as a reference to help him out. He said he wouldn't but it turns out he basically copied my report exactly and turned it in on turnitin. My professor said at first that since I wasn't the one who copied, he would grade my report as is. Turns out, instead he put in AHP as my grade for that report (Academic Honesty Policy). So in other words, I am receiving a zero for that report and an F in lab. I'm in total shock, nothing like this has ever happened to me and I don't know what to do. I'm freaking out. I feel like my chances at dental school are completely ruined. I know all of you will say "cheating is the worst thing you can do" but the thing is I didn't even mean for this to happen! It's not like I stole a copy of an exam, I was just trying to help a fellow student out. I didn't know that he would screw me over like this. Any insight would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Get in contact with your dean/administration immediately and explain what happened. You need to get that off your record although you will have a chance to explain in your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,

I don't even know where to begin.. So in my biology lab I turned in my final report, a week later one of my classmates were struggling in finishing the report and kept texting me asking for help. I felt bad, considering he hadn't turned it in and it was going to be extremely late, so I decided to help him out. I was busy at the time so I sent him my report and told him to not copy it and just use it as a reference to help him out. He said he wouldn't but it turns out he basically copied my report exactly and turned it in on turnitin. My professor said at first that since I wasn't the one who copied, he would grade my report as is. Turns out, instead he put in AHP as my grade for that report (Academic Honesty Policy). So in other words, I am receiving a zero for that report and an F in lab. I'm in total shock, nothing like this has ever happened to me and I don't know what to do. I'm freaking out. I feel like my chances at dental school are completely ruined. I know all of you will say "cheating is the worst thing you can do" but the thing is I didn't even mean for this to happen! It's not like I stole a copy of an exam, I was just trying to help a fellow student out. I didn't know that he would screw me over like this. Any insight would be appreciated.

First of all, take a deep breath and relax. The sooner you realize this isn't going to be the end of the world for you, the better off you'll be

Go talk to your professor, maybe he meant to give the AHP to your friend but gave it to you instead. If not, you can't really do much since what you did IS considered cheating, regardless of your noble motives

If you end up getting an F in the lab, retake it and get an A. When it comes time to apply for dental school, explain it in the according section of the application and how you've learned from your mistake. You should be alright..people have gotten in with worse things on their record

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to your professor, explain him that the other student asked the report in order to compare the results and you had no idea he will use it to copy your entire report. You were just trying to help out a student with the results not with copying because you honestly did your own report, the other student took advantage of you. Hope this will work.

@dr.d00m

I emailed him and he said the course supervisor told him to give the 0 to both parties involved. Thank you for your input, reading that made me feel a little better. I've been freaking out since last night and could barely sleep. I just looked at other threads where people described how they got caught with exams and were charged with cheating. People were saying that they had no chance and what not. That's why I've been freaking out. Also nothing like this has ever happened to me.

@TLV-TUS

Sadly I already explained this to my professor, at first he was going to grade mine as is, but the course supervisor told him to give both of us a 0.

@Master Yoda

I'm not exactly sure what is going to go on my transcript, I think it will list I received an F in lab and somewhere it will note that it had something to do with AHP. My professor said he has to file a report to the university. I told him what happened so I am hoping he will list that somewhere in his report.

@Stanelz

This just happened yesterday so nothing has been filed yet. I would have to go to the dean for this?

Your "friend" is a total scumbag, I'm sorry.

I would try talking to your dean.

Reactions: 11 users
I agree with @Rekker
Go to your dean and preemptively explain the situation. Also, is there any way to meet with the course supervisor to see if there is anything you can do to rectify the situation? To me, the course supervisor seems a bit harsh in their determination.

Good luck! I don't believe this will do any permanent damage, however, if you can try and prevent a future headache when applying to dental school, why not!?

This is awful bad timing leading right into finals. Try not to let this affect your focus on studying for those. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, even though you were trying to be nice and helping people.... it does fall under academic dishonesty... there isn't much you can do other than try to argue your points back or you can try to talk to that "friend" and tell him to own up to everything in front of the dean/supervisor. If that doesn't go well, then you're just going to have to retake it.

I agree with @Rekker
Go to your dean and preemptively explain the situation. Also, is there any way to meet with the course supervisor to see if there is anything you can do to rectify the situation? To me, the course supervisor seems a bit harsh in their determination.

Good luck! I don't believe this will do any permanent damage, however, if you can try and prevent a future headache when applying to dental school, why not!?
I disagree with this. OP gave his work to his friend which will give him an unfair advantage over other students in the class. In a way, he is doing wrong to his classmates who have worked hard to get the report done on time. It was up to the course supervise to evaluate the severity of the situation and assign a grade.

@Stanelz

This just happened yesterday so nothing has been filed yet. I would have to go to the dean for this?

Yes unfortunately academic dishonesty is a major thing so you need to get in contact with higher ups to have a chance fighting it. Get on it asap. Try everything you can now because if you prolong it you have less of a chance. You will need your friends cooperation.

Dont feel as though this is the end of the world for you because it is not but if I were in your position I would at least try to get this off so it wont become a headache later.

I'm sorry that this happened to you but this IS considered cheating. For my school we explicitly went over not to share your work with others, especially not long reports...

Your best choice right now is probably trying to appeal and see if the disciplinary action can be lifted, but the chance isn't high.

If it's not lifted, then just take the class again, and state in your app how the cheating happened and what you learned from it. You should be fine if the rest of your apps are strong still.

I disagree with this. OP gave his work to his friend which will give him an unfair advantage over other students in the class. In a way, he is doing wrong to his classmates who have worked hard to get the report done on time. It was up to the course supervise to evaluate the severity of the situation and assign a grade.

I understand your point and you're actually right. However, without knowing more of the OP's original situation (grade going into the final lab report, strong work product, whether the lab report counts as the entire course grade, etc.) I have the opinion that the F in the course was harsh. I do agree that the OP giving his lab report to his "friend" counts as academic dishonesty, however, I am not sure whether the punishment fits his actions and intentions. And this is my opinion, but as you stated, it is up to the course supervisor. That doesn't mean that the OP can't try and alleviate the situation.

Same thing happened to me in my third year, but with a 8% assignment in a comp sci course. I gave my friend my assignment, he gave it to his friend, who submitted it without changing it and I got my mark changed from a 99% to 0% after the prof found out. I was absolutely furious, but none of my efforts to change the decision worked. I ended up punching my friend in his face, and getting the girl he sent it to to pay me $300. Luckily I had a 97 in the course at the time so my mark only dropped to like 88%, but still, the betrayal was what hurt the most. I honestly don't think your situation will change, schools are very strict for a reason and rules are rules. Cut this friend out of your life, and never make the same mistake again. If any of my friends ask for any help now, I just say no, way less hassle. Good luck with everything and I hope you're able to turn things around.

Number one lesson in life: Don't ever rely on anyone but yourself. Don't ever trust anyone but yourself. Hope you can move forward in the future
Not sure I totally agree with this... I feel like following these principles would lead to a pretty lonely life.

Dont judge OP too hard guys. I want to say most of us have all been there at some point sharing an assignment to help someone out. He just got unlucky.

OP you can move forward and be successful you just have to be strategic.

Reactions: 9 users
Dont judge OP too hard guys. I want to say most of us have all been there at some point sharing an assignment to help someone out. He just got unlucky.

OP you can move forward and be successful you just have to be strategic.

I don't think anyone is judging him...the offense isn't all that bad, but his biggest mistake was trusting his "friend" and getting caught. Now he needs to own up to this blunder and move on, and not be deterred because what's done is done

Anyone that struggles that much in a biology lab course is bound to cheat. Watch out for the sketchy characters that seem nice but will cut all contact after you help him or her out; this is a lesson I learned in undergrad.

Edit: OP, this is life. Every once in a while something awful and painfully repugnant happens in life. Do everything in your power to respond to this positively. Lawyer up possibly? I wish you the best, OP. You can do it!

Last edited:
I wouldn't think too highly of that friend now, but that's not important for you now. This is a good learning experience / ethical situation that can help you in a dental school interview down the road. Even if you have to retake the class, worse things can happen. I say if people with DUI's can get into dental school, someone that tried to help a friend out can too. Don't let this setback bring you down more than it has. Learn from it and focus on things you can change.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey I'm so sorry this happened! Take a deep breathe and learn from it. It will make you a stronger person somehow and better dentist.

You will still get into dental school, especially considering you sound like a good overall student. If any schools ask about it just explain yourself like you did here and mention you are very helpful towards your classmates, but from this incident you realized the difference in being too helpful. And as a dental student you plan to continue working and helping classmates but not in the same way etc

Whether you admit it or not, you participated in cheating. As you've probably realized, direct or indirect cheating means nothing in the eyes of administration. This is something you have to stop denying. I would suggest you admit this now and negotiate any grade reprocussions in lieu of a transcript record of academic dishonesty. I would take W's, a 0 test score for re-take 50%, virtually anything over a transcript showing I participated in cheating. It remains one of the easiest red flags for screening.

@TheBigN89 @princessdentist @ThirdMolarz @Craig_Sherwood234 @dr.d00m @Stanelz @DDSER1 @Torshi81 @Kou_KeiKi @Master Yoda @Typical Average Student @Alpha Centauri @Rekker

Thank you so much everyone for all your helpful advice. I have calmed down drastically after talking with my friends and family. I am sorry I did respond earlier, I was preparing for my last final! I have taken the necessary steps and have emailed the higher-ups in the department. I have built a strong case and plan on getting this entire situation turned around. If they do overturn it, then I will play their game and take the class once again and explain it in my application. Now that the semester is about over, it's time to begin studying for the DAT :)

Reactions: 9 users
@TheBigN89 @princessdentist @ThirdMolarz @Craig_Sherwood234 @dr.d00m @Stanelz @DDSER1 @Torshi81 @Kou_KeiKi @Master Yoda @Typical Average Student @Alpha Centauri @Rekker

Thank you so much everyone for all your helpful advice. I have calmed down drastically after talking with my friends and family. I am sorry I did respond earlier, I was preparing for my last final! I have taken the necessary steps and have emailed the higher-ups in the department. I have built a strong case and plan on getting this entire situation turned around. If they do overturn it, then I will play their game and take the class once again and explain it in my application. Now that the semester is about over, it's time to begin studying for the DAT :)
Good luck!

Not sure I totally agree with this... I feel like following these principles would lead to a pretty lonely life.
That's the sacrifice you gotta make for making sure you don't get shafted. The world can be a cutthroat place. If you think academia is rough, try the real world.

Edit: also wanted to add to @Dhudez. I think someone already mentioned this before but treat this as a VERY good life lesson. Before I decided to pursue dentistry, I've gotten shafted on a few business deals before. If you really wanna CYA, never trust anyone. But that doesn't mean don't be a likeable, charming person. Just be aware of the kind of info you give out to people....

That's the sacrifice you gotta make for making sure you don't get shafted. The world can be a cutthroat place. If you think academia is rough, try the real world.

Edit: also wanted to add to @Dhudez. I think someone already mentioned this before but treat this as a VERY good life lesson. Before I decided to pursue dentistry, I've gotten shafted on a few business deals before. If you really wanna CYA, never trust anyone. But that doesn't mean don't be a likeable, charming person. Just be aware of the kind of info you give out to people....
No I still don't agree. I've gone through college. I'm living in the real world. I'm not saying to just trust random people and give them things that may come back to bite you in the end. But "never trust anyone" is a pretty pitiful way to live. It's nice building strong relationships with people, whether platonic or romantic, and usually trust is a fundamental part of that. I can't imagine how jaded I would feel if I literally didn't trust any of my friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
No I still don't agree. I've gone through college. I'm living in the real world. I'm not saying to just trust random people and give them things that may come back to bite you in the end. But "never trust anyone" is a pretty pitiful way to live. It's nice building strong relationships with people, whether platonic or romantic, and usually trust is a fundamental part of that. I can't imagine how jaded I would feel if I literally didn't trust any of my friends.

I'm jaded AF. How can I cure that.

And to OP I would cut that friend immediately. The fact that he doesn't realize what turnitin is used for means he is not the brightest bulb.

Reactions: 3 users
@Likkriue

I meant to clarify this in the post but I never did. He wasn't my friend at all, he just happened to be in my lab group a couple of times and had my number. I helped him cause I felt bad and he wouldn't leave me alone about it.

I feel you OP, I would be scared AF too. Do what you gotta do OP, don't t take that AHP. Request an audience with the university president if you have to. It happened to me in high school, which is completely different but i know the feeling. But i was actually cheating lol.

UPDATE:

Good news everyone!! My grade has been restored and I will not be penalized. The only thing that is happening is that there will be a little note in my record (dental schools will not see this, this is just for the university), that will say what happened and that I was not at fault and so on. Lets say I was a cheater that never got caught, the next time I got caught with something like this, then they would take action. Because I have no records of academic dishonesty, they are letting me off, and not penalizing me. My professor said this note is not anything bad, and that it can be taken off.

Reactions: 10 users
I also want to thank everyone for all their advice! I sent a very well thought out email to several superior people along with my professor explaining the situation. If I had not done so, I don't think my grade would have been restored! Thank you so much!

UPDATE:

Good news everyone!! My grade has been restored and I will not be penalized. The only thing that is happening is that there will be a little note in my record (dental schools will not see this, this is just for the university), that will say what happened and that I was not at fault and so on. Lets say I was a cheater that never got caught, the next time I got caught with something like this, then they would take action. Because I have no records of academic dishonesty, they are letting me off, and not penalizing me. My professor said this note is not anything bad, and that it can be taken off.
Congrats. I am happy it all turned out well for you.

UPDATE:

Great news! Now you can stop worrying about it and focus on the important stuff... Your DAT and the application!

UPDATE:

Congrats dude. Hope you learned your lesson but don't have permanent trust issues

Would you mind if I ask you what is your situation with your trouble-making friend?

Do you still talk to each other?

Would you mind if I ask you what is your situation with your trouble-making friend?

Do you still talk to each other?

He was never my friend. Just someone in my lab.