Im being real here and i need some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canopus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
honestly I have a terrible GPA no need for excuses(i hate excuses) its just bad. Im graduating this december with a BS in geology(my major gpa is as bad but still nothing stellar sub 3.0). Yet I made a decision on going to dental school. The advice I need is what do I do next. Im just wondering if this would involve having to go and get a 2nd undergrad degree or what? I have to still take some calculus classes, physics and o chem, (a total of 6 classes) I will be taking those part time next year while im working, and attempting to apply in 2006.

I dont need an estimation of my chances since realistically they are pretty small this doesnt take away from me still wanting to go since im young and as long as im in dental school by the time im 26-27 i'll be happy (22 now).

So what plan of action should I take school wise to compensate for my bad undergraduate grades that would help make them not look as bad. I dont want to give up I just dont know what to do next?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Do well on the rest of your science classes
2. Sign up for graduate degree if you have the time and do well on your GPA
3. Do well on the DAT
4. Participate in a research
5. Participate in a volunteer work
7. Shadow a dentist

balance said:
1. Do well on the rest of your science classes
2. Sign up for graduate degree if you have the time and do well on your GPA
3. Do well on the DAT
4. Participate in a research
5. Participate in a volunteer work
7. Shadow a dentist

The action plan that balance suggested is right on. If your GPA is really bad, however, #2 won't be as simply as signing up. After graduation, I would recommend retaking Bio and/or Gchem at a community college (if you did poorly on any of those series) WHILE doing research (point #4). If your GPA is still not that great, you could do some post-bac classes to raise your GPA. From there, if your GPA rises (~3.1-3.2) you could try to get into a master's program. If you could get into an oral bio master's program then that would be really key. I hear that many oral bio grad classes should help you a lot when you get to dental school. Don't worry bro, with enough determination you'll achieve your goal (and probably sooner than you think)! Best of luck :luck: