IM @ Brown? Tufts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know anything about these programs?
much thanks
scm

Members don't see this ad.

They are both IVY..
Are you??

okay first off tufts is not ivy...ivy is kind of a flighty term when you get to residency time...

tufts is a very strong program, good fellowship director, great program director, great hospital, easier to get in than some mgh/bid etc but still selective...

brown is a good program...but the name brown is better than the program itself...still a great location, solid program, so-so in terms of its board passing rate, good atomphere (tends to attract really nice down to earth people)...you do well for fellowship...emphasis on a lot of international electives...
my take is that its easier to get into than tufts...

if you are an average student like i was when i applied, i got interviews to both...

hope this helps...

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm. Tufts-NEMC is the flagship Tufts hospital and residency program, however, Tufts has 2 other affiliated programs, Lahey Clinic, and Baystate Medical Center. Lahey is in suburban Burlington, friendly mix of community hospital and strong academic depts., generally easier to match at than NEMC or Brown from what I hear, really nice people. Baystate is out in Springfield and though it is a great hospital with top-notch EM, Surgery, and Ob/Gyn depts, they generally have trouble filling their IM program b/c no one wants to live in Springfield. As a Tufts grad to be, I would pick both Lahey and Brown over NEMC, and possibly Baystate as well, but that's just my opinion.

much thanks everyone, youve been really helpful

I believe Baystate actually came to encourage students from my school (in Ireland) to apply to their IM program...seemed like a good program....just wondering what Springfield is like? Why do people not want to live there?

shamrok78 said:
I believe Baystate actually came to encourage students from my school (in Ireland) to apply to their IM program...seemed like a good program....just wondering what Springfield is like? Why do people not want to live there?
Springfield is not a bad place to live from what I hear, housing costs are very reasonable, it's just that there is not that much to do. If you have kids, it's a nice place to live, but for single people I can imagine it could be pretty boring (though there are some beautiful recreational areas in Western Mass and the Berkshires). Then again, the trauma center at BMC can't help but add some excitement to one's life.. Good luck, maybe I'll see you there or on interview days!

irlandesa said:
Springfield is not a bad place to live from what I hear, housing costs are very reasonable, it's just that there is not that much to do. If you have kids, it's a nice place to live, but for single people I can imagine it could be pretty boring (though there are some beautiful recreational areas in Western Mass and the Berkshires). Then again, the trauma center at BMC can't help but add some excitement to one's life.. Good luck, maybe I'll see you there or on interview days!

Thanks for the info! I won't be graduating till 2006, but I am seriously considering Tufts, and other programs in the Boston area. I am single, so having some semblance of a social life would be nice :) Still, of foremost importance is a program with generally happy and friendly co-workers. Any other helpful tidbits about the various IM programs in this area are always welcome! Good Luck with your interviews!

irlandesa said:

I did a month away rotation out in Springfield and I have to say that I think it would be great for a single person. There is a town called Northampton not too far away that many of the residents live in. It has nice restaurants, bars, and young people. I will be the first to admit that Springfield is not Boston, though. Baystate was a wonderful hospital and I did not feel Springfield was a negative. Good luck!

Lysdexic said:
I did a month away rotation out in Springfield and I have to say that I think it would be great for a single person. There is a town called Northampton not too far away that many of the residents live in. It has nice restaurants, bars, and young people. I will be the first to admit that Springfield is not Boston, though. Baystate was a wonderful hospital and I did not feel Springfield was a negative. Good luck!

Hey, thanks for the input; I am going out to Springfield in January, and again in April, so I'll suppose I'll get to see for myself. I still haven't heard from Baystate, but this may be b/c I am missing just 1 part of my application. Otherwise, can't complain about the interviews I've gotten so far; of those mentioned on this resurrected thread I'll be interviewing at Brown and Lahey, and BU in the Boston area as well. No word from Tufts-NEMC, though one of my friends who did a Sub-I there told me that the residents seemed less happy than at Lahey or rotating MGH Med residents at Newton-Wellseley Hospital. I have heard good things about Northhampton (Smith College is there), and Amherst (home to UMass undergrad and Amherst College) is about 30 minutes away as well. good luck to all.