I'm declining at _________ : 2017/2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlb_25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Similar to the "I'm Attending" post, but this one will provide more information as to where spots are opening up at other programs for those still waiting to hear back. Feel free to share where you have declined admission or interviews, withdrawn applications, and of course where you will be attending. Also, a reminder to contact your accepted schools and respectfully decline if you have decided to attend elsewhere. :)

I will be declining my spot at Northern Illinois tomorrow and putting my deposit down at Rutgers - South. I will be attending interviews at Regis and the University of Montana at the end of the month.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've declined at Mary Baldwin/Murphy Deming, Lynchburg, UNE, Marymount, and Radford. I'm putting my deposit down at Shenandoah (yaay!) but still keeping my fingers crossed for VCU.

This is a good one! It will help us (the ones on waitlists) be able to see how many spots might become available.
I’m hoping to get into UNE

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I’m declining at Arcadia university, Samuel Merritt University, Thomas Jefferson University, University of Southern California and University of Delaware (that was a hard decision).

So far I’m declining at Arcadia university, Samuel Merritt University, Thomas Jefferson University, University of Southern California and University of Delaware (that was a hard decision).
Does that mean you're still choosing Drexel so far?

Does that mean you're still choosing Drexel so far?
Yes it does! :) As of now I feel like Drexel has the most well rounded program for me, where I don’t feel like I have to “compromise” to go to a certain university. (And the nice size scholarship sweetens the deal haha) I’m so excited!

What schools are you between now? Is a Drexel still one of your top?

Yes it does! :) As of now I feel like Drexel has the most well rounded program for me, where I don’t feel like I have to “compromise” to go to a certain university. (And the nice size scholarship sweetens the deal haha) I’m so excited!

What schools are you between now? Is a Drexel still one of your top?
Yes, I'm pretty set on Drexel! I'm still going to see how things play out between another school or two but those are probably too far out of reach. I am seriously so lucky to get the chance with Drexel! We will have to let each other know if anything changes

Yes, I'm pretty set on Drexel! I'm still going to see how things play out between another school or two but those are probably too far out of reach. I am seriously so lucky to get the chance with Drexel! We will have to let each other know if anything changes
Yay! It’s great to hear that you are still highly considering Drexel :joyful: I will definitely post my “official” desicion on the forum, I’ll be looking out for yours too.

Where are you from btw? I’m from Cali so it’s going to be a big change for me living on the east coast, but I’m ready for a change in scenery

I'm declining at Lynchburg, Marymount, and URI, and I'm putting down a deposit at the University of South Carolina!

I'm declining at MGH and Mount Saint Mary's Los Angeles. I will be putting a deposit on AT Still in Arizona. Still have one more interview however. Good luck to everyone!

Declining at A.T Still University and University of St. Augustine - San Marcos summer residential. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

I've declined Chatham University & Mount St. Joseph University and have put a deposit down at Youngstown State University! I'm waiting on one more school before I make a final decision to attend!

I've auto-declined from Marymount as of yesterday. Good luck to those on the waitlist there. I was accepted there off of the "top tier" waitlist whatever position that was out of 88 people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Declining at A.T Still University and University of St. Augustine - San Marcos summer residential. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Where did you commit to if you don't mind me asking?

I'm declining at New York Medical College and Touro College, and will be giving up my seat on both the Rutgers North and Rutgers South waitlists. I will be attending Columbia! I hope this helps someone!!

I'm declining at New York Medical College and Touro College, and will be giving up my seat on both the Rutgers North and Rutgers South waitlists. I will be attending Columbia! I hope this helps someone!!
Congrats on all of your acceptances. How much is the program at Columbia? If I have to re-apply next cycle I’ve been thinking of including Columbia.

Congrats on all of your acceptances. How much is the program at Columbia? If I have to re-apply next cycle I’ve been thinking of including Columbia.

Columbia's program is ridiculously expensive - $18,000/semester and then around $500 for summer. $27,000 for last year. I figure with a Columbia degree it will be completely worth it, I'll hopefully definitely get a well-paying job, etc.!! Thank you for your congratulations!! I fell in LOVE with Columbia though, and everything that it has to offer for me as a program given my specific goals. They really looked at me as a person, their facilities are awesome... I am just SO in love with it and excited regardless of price!! Everything happens for a reason!

Columbia's program is ridiculously expensive - $18,000/semester and then around $500 for summer. $27,000 for last year. I figure with a Columbia degree it will be completely worth it, I'll hopefully definitely get a well-paying job, etc.!! Thank you for your congratulations!! I fell in LOVE with Columbia though, and everything that it has to offer for me as a program given my specific goals. They really looked at me as a person, their facilities are awesome... I am just SO in love with it and excited regardless of price!! Everything happens for a reason!
Columbia is a very prestigious school and I’m sure it will be worth every cent. I’m currently on a waitlist at UNE which is 100k for the whole program, so I am assuming Columbia would be around the same range.

Columbia is a very prestigious school and I’m sure it will be worth every cent. I’m currently on a waitlist at UNE which is 100k for the whole program, so I am assuming Columbia would be around the same range.

Yep you nailed it! It's around that much for the whole thing minus the cost of living(yikes). I'm sure you will get into UNE and do amazing things there. And yes I could not be more confident that Columbia will be worth every cent... I am so excited! Again though, everything that is meant to be will happen so do not worry! I am sure you will get accepted to UNE!

Aww thank you! I really hope I get accepted.

I declined my spot at the University of Indianapolis earlier today.

Declining Drexel and Arcadia, and removing myself from TJU waitlist. Temple here I come :)

I've declined at Rocky Mountain University and University of Utah in the last few days.

Declining Drexel and Arcadia, and removing myself from TJU waitlist. Temple here I come :)
Congrats! Just out of curiosity what made you choose Temple over Drexel? I’m deciding between Drexel and another program myself.

Declining at University of Rhode Island and Stockton University. Will be headed to my alma mater, Rutgers :)

Last edited:
Congrats! Just out of curiosity what made you choose Temple over Drexel? I’m deciding between Drexel and another program myself.

I had an excellent experience with Drexel on my interview day, and I really liked the staff and their program, but there were a few things that held me back.

1) Prereqs. I would have had to take one more prerequisite this spring for Drexel. I knew this going into my applications and it didn't seem like a big deal at first, but when it came down to it, I was really not feelin' that. Drexel was the only school I applied to that required 2 general biology courses.
2) Facilities. Temple trumps any other school in the area in this department. A gorgeous, brand new, multi-bajillion dollar building for the college of public health that moves the program from the hospital/health campus wayyy up in North Philly down to the main campus? I'll take it. I was not necessarily impressed with Drexel's facilities or the location of the program. Now I understand that is not the most important thing, but hey, you're spending A LOT of money so you might as well feel comfortable in your learning space. I personally am a big location/environment/atmosphere person. So, If Drexel's program was located on their main campus in University City, that might have been enough to sway me. I love their main campus. I also had a small, boring undergraduate experience so the idea of being immersed in a large university excites me.
3) Overall feel. Honestly I just felt more "at home" with Temple. I had really great conversations with current staff and students. I felt like I connected with a lot of the people there and it just made it feel like the best fit for me. Can't really explain that one, haha.

Drexel is a great school and you definitely can't go wrong there. But for me, Temple just felt right. It was definitely a hard decision but in the end I just went with my gut! Good luck, and don't stress too much! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I had an excellent experience with Drexel on my interview day, and I really liked the staff and their program, but there were a few things that held me back.

1) Prereqs. I would have had to take one more prerequisite this spring for Drexel. I knew this going into my applications and it didn't seem like a big deal at first, but when it came down to it, I was really not feelin' that. Drexel was the only school I applied to that required 2 general biology courses.
2) Facilities. Temple trumps any other school in the area in this department. A gorgeous, brand new, multi-bajillion dollar building for the college of public health that moves the program from the hospital/health campus wayyy up in North Philly down to the main campus? I'll take it. I was not necessarily impressed with Drexel's facilities or the location of the program. Now I understand that is not the most important thing, but hey, you're spending A LOT of money so you might as well feel comfortable in your learning space. I personally am a big location/environment/atmosphere person. So, If Drexel's program was located on their main campus in University City, that might have been enough to sway me. I love their main campus. I also had a small, boring undergraduate experience so the idea of being immersed in a large university excites me.
3) Overall feel. Honestly I just felt more "at home" with Temple. I had really great conversations with current staff and students. I felt like I connected with a lot of the people there and it just made it feel like the best fit for me. Can't really explain that one, haha.

Drexel is a great school and you definitely can't go wrong there. But for me, Temple just felt right. It was definitely a hard decision but in the end I just went with my gut! Good luck, and don't stress too much! :)
Thank you for the thorough reply! I agree about the facilities at Drexel and it’s my only negative with the program. But I’m happy to hear you found the perfect program for you! Best of luck to you at Temple!

Wow! I feel like i wrote the above comment..almost! I had to choose between those 2 as well! And the same things with prereqs, 2 extra bio classes, while I am all done with Temple. For me though, another factor was semester length. For how intense the program is in itself, having 4 semesters in one year would be extra stressful i feel like. The only down side for Temple us that its extra super super expensive. I see posts here how people will pay under 100k for the whole thing and Temple wants like 120k before any interest...
But, regardless, I picked Temple! Plus Temple starts in June and with Drexel gotta wait till end of September ...
Congrads to you!
Where are you from?

I've declined at Rocky Mountain University and University of Utah in the last few days.
Congrats on both of those schools! Where did you accept? I am living in Utah but decided not to apply to either of those schools, but I know they are highly competitive!

Congrats on both of those schools! Where did you accept? I am living in Utah but decided not to apply to either of those schools, but I know they are highly competitive!
Thanks! I'm trying to decide between Pacific University, Regis University, and the University of Colorado. Been making lots of pros and cons lists! I have a little over a week to figure it out. Not a bad problem to have!

Thanks! I'm trying to decide between Pacific University, Regis University, and the University of Colorado. Been making lots of pros and cons lists! I have a little over a week to figure it out. Not a bad problem to have!
When did you hear from University of Colorado? Congrats by the way!

Hey, I also got an acceptance to the University of Colorado!
I think the most important factor for me when choosing a school is cost. At the end of the day, any program you go to is going to prepare you for a career in PT and its really important to consider your bottom line now (rather than when you're paying back all of those loans!). Just my two cents! And Congrats! :)

UPDATE!

Now also declining at Boston University (with scholarship so that will become available as well!) and UCSF/SFSU (extremely hard decision because I’m from the Bay Area)

Hope this helps people on the waitlist!

Hey, I also got an acceptance to the University of Colorado!
I think the most important factor for me when choosing a school is cost. At the end of the day, any program you go to is going to prepare you for a career in PT and its really important to consider your bottom line now (rather than when you're paying back all of those loans!). Just my two cents! And Congrats! :)
That's definitely the advice I've heard most often, but I've run the numbers and all three of the schools I'm considering would run me almost the same amount of money (I got a scholarship at Regis and would have free rent near Pacific). So I've been making a lot of pros and cons lists and trying to find grads to chat with. Congrats on CU!!

I don’t blame you! Their tuition cost would give me nightmares.
I am declining at Thomas Jefferson

When did you receive an acceptance and if you dont mind what are your stats. Thanks!

I heard from them late October I applied early because they have that 3 + 3 program. I knew it would be competitive and spots would be limited.
I am a non traditional student with a major in economics.
cGPA 3.4 and pGPA of 3.7 they don’t require GRE. My observation hours were very limited 100 in two different settings.

I've declined at Mary Baldwin/Murphy Deming, Lynchburg, UNE, Marymount, and Radford. I'm putting my deposit down at Shenandoah (yaay!) but still keeping my fingers crossed for VCU.
I also applied at Lynchburg and Mary Baldwin/Murphy Deming, I was waitlisted at Lynchburg but have not heard from Mary Baldwin. Would you mind posting your GRE scores. Mind aren't that great and was wondering what they are looking for. Thanks

Just declined my seat at NYIT

I am declining at Seton Hall and Touro College, and I will be giving up my seat on Stony Brook. I am attending Rutgers-Newark!

Declined at Temple and Drexel. I'm attending Thomas Jefferson. I'm an undergrad at Temple and although their new facility is really nice, I just don't think I can spend another 3 years in a building right behind where I spent four years of my life. Needed a change of scenery.

I'm declining at Lynchburg, Marymount, and URI, and I'm putting down a deposit at the University of South Carolina!
Update: also declined at UNE, UCF, and South Carolina, and I'm attending Duke!

declined my seat at Stony Brook University