I'm feeling torn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ought2sleep

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Congrats to all of you with acceptances and hang in there for those who haven't heard yet...it is still early!

So, yesterday I was accepted to UCSF and VCU. I am definitely feeling torn between the two schools and would appreciate any insight from you guys. I'll list pros/cons below.

VCU:
-I am an instate student (much lower tuition)
-Close to home (I live in Northern VA)
-Richmond is a litttttle sketchy (not bad..but a little)
-Awesome new sim lab
-Totally friendly faculty and students -- I felt most comfortable here

UCSF:
-All of my extended family lives in SF and San Jose, and my parents are likely to retire out there sooon.
-Out of State = $$$$ ..a lot more debt
-Not quite as comfortable there but I'm sure I would adjust
-Seems to have a bigger reputation
-SF is supposed to be a great place to live

Either way I know I will succesful..it's just a tough decision to make. I"m learning towards VCU right now purely on the basis of tuition costs. Let me know what you guys think (and I do realize that ultimately no one can tell me what I want). I just want to see what your opinions are on the two schools.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not good while your trying to fight through dental school.

Hey guys!

Congrats to all of you with acceptances and hang in there for those who haven't heard yet...it is still early!

So, yesterday I was accepted to UCSF and VCU. I am definitely feeling torn between the two schools and would appreciate any insight from you guys. I'll list pros/cons below.

VCU:
-Awesome new sim lab

UCSF:
-All of my extended family lives in SF and San Jose, and my parents are likely to retire out there sooon.

Either way I know I will succesful..it's just a tough decision to make. I"m learning towards VCU right now purely on the basis of tuition costs. Let me know what you guys think (and I do realize that ultimately no one can tell me what I want). I just want to see what your opinions are on the two schools.

Thanks!

Ought2sleep,

Wow, I'm in the exact same boat as you (torn VCU and UCSF acceptances) except I am from Cali. I have immediate family close to SF and extended close to Richmond. I have similar pros and cons. I was wondering what you mean by Richmond being a little sketchy... even so compared to SF? Would like to know your thoughts. But I agree with VCU having sweet equipment and facilities and the staff was great. And UCSF is prestigous and has the opportunities for the MBA or research which could be cool. Glad to know someone else is in the same boat out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jekl,
It makes me feel better that you are in a similar situation! Richmond is supposed to be a really nice place to live, but from what I understand you have to be careful not to get into the wrong neighborhood and like most cities, there are areas to avoid. I don't htink it's the kind of place where you can walk around at night etc. (I am a girl btw). I am also very much a suburbs/rural person, so this whole city business is rather intimidating to me. I don't know much about living in SF -- so maybe you could tell me a little bit? I'll let you know what I find out about richmond cause I"ll be doing some more research in the next few days.

I don't think you should worry abou the in state fee at UCSF because I am a student there and you could apply for residency soon after (i.e 9 months or 12 I am not quite sure); therefore, that shouldn't be one of the cons of not choosing UCSF.

SF is like any big city. There are the good parts and the bad. You can be in Pacific Heights which is amazing or you can be shot in Hunter's Point. Every city has the really good and bad parts. I know this because I went to high school in Pacifica, which is 10 miles from SF

Similar problem, Im deciding between VCU and UPenn. From Northern Virginia so family is close to both schools

I was way comfortable at VCU, and the money is a lot less.

But Penn has a better reputation and costs a hecka lot more.

Im leaning toward VCU because of the money. Who wants to make $2500 payments each month?

I wish I could go back to each school and look around some more but Im in Utah so I can't. I guess Im just gonna have to look at the finances really closely and make a decision.

I want to add that the bay area can be traffic hell. That might add unnecessary stress.

Wow...I'm glad you mentioned traffic. I totally wasn't thinking about that yet. Richmond has some traffic too unfortunately..but I don't htink it's as bad as SF. I'm living in northern va now and the traffic is the WORST -- it gives me headaches.

SF is an amazing city....and the VCU Richmond area does not seem as alive as SF. Seems like the $$ is the biggest issue? Personally, I would enjoy SF so much more....but I don't know if I would be willing to pay all the extra $. Either way, congrats! Your dilemma is NOT A BAD ONE!!!!!!!!!

Oh, AND .... SF has a GREAT public transit system (sure you knew that)

If I had a choice between richmond area and san francisco, I'd pick richmond, I think San Francisco would be ranked as one of the worst traffic areas in the US.
Richmond can't be that bad.

I want to add that the bay area can be traffic hell. That might add unnecessary stress.

Certain areas of the Bay Area… yes. But as a dental student, living and going to school in SF, traffic should not be a big concern. Most residents utilize public transportation, and unless you’re heading out of town, you won’t be setting foot on a congested highway/freeway.

Certain areas of the Bay Area… yes. But as a dental student, living and going to school in SF, traffic should not be a big concern. Most residents utilize public transportation, and unless you’re heading out of town, you won’t be setting foot on a congested highway/freeway.

How expensive is rent in the city?

Members don't see this ad :)
The UoP interview packet had apartments in the area listed around 1800/month. Not that bad considering the neighborhood.

Anyone know what the public transportation/student housing in richmond is like? Do they have a bus system? (I hate having to search for a parking spot)

Hey guys!

VCU:
-Awesome new sim lab

UCSF:

Thanks!

I'm orginally from Sacramento, living in Louisville now and was accepted there yesterday, and I personally couldn't stand to live in the bay area. It's not just expenisve for tuition but the cost of living is outrageous. I've ONLY heard good things about VCU. I didn't apply to UCSF even though it's close to home for me, but I did apply to VCU.

Feel free to make your own choice, but IMO it's a no-brainer for me. If I was in your shoes, I'd pick VCU. I think UCSF is very overrated and is very research oriented. I'm interested in clinical skills and I think VCU does a better job in preparing practicing clinicians than UCSF does. But that's my own opinion.

If money is one of your top 3 concerns, go to your home-state school. Not only is SF tuition much more expensive, but general cost of living is much more expensive. I lived in the Berkeley area for 3 years as a graduate student, earning about 20k/year in stipend. Trust me, you CAN live on 20k/year, but it's really really hard. I can't speak for SF proper, but in Berkeley during 2000-2002, I was paying ~$600/month to live in a converted office room (no closet, just a small rectangular space) and lived out of my suitcase for 2 years; but I can imagine that the city is at least that much, if not more expensive. And remember, Cali tax is 8.5% (or 8%?), and it freakin' adds up.

I really think the only thing that trumps money is the level of comfort you felt at the school during your interview and/or your personal experience with the school. What's an extra 200k in debt if you hate your life for 4 years?

Another consideration is (and yes, I know this is very early to think about), but where do you see yourself living after school? Virginia and California take different boards and are not compatible with each other. So if you see yourself living out west, then SF might be the better choice b/c they will tailor their curriculum towards their boards and vice versa for VCU.

Ultimately, there is no "bad" choice in my opinion... just a better choice. So congrats to you and best of luck in your decision.

I hope you dont mind me posting on your thread, but I know exactly how you feel. Right now I'm trying to decide between VCU and Ohio State. Im from Utah so im out of state. I loved both of the programs, and felt very comfortable at both schools. VCU has great facilities - Ohio has great football. Both schools have great reputations from what I understand. Tuition is pretty cheap at both schools VCU = 37,000 and Ohio = 32,000. Please let me know what you think about these schools, it is just nice to hear others perspectives. Thanks

I hope you dont mind me posting on your thread, but I know exactly how you feel. Right now I'm trying to decide between VCU and Ohio State. Im from Utah so im out of state. I loved both of the programs, and felt very comfortable at both schools. VCU has great facilities - Ohio has great football. Both schools have great reputations from what I understand. Tuition is pretty cheap at both schools VCU = 37,000 and Ohio = 32,000. Please let me know what you think about these schools, it is just nice to hear others perspectives. Thanks

If you are married and have a spouse that works for a few weeks before you start school, I've heard you can get in-state tuition at Ohio State. Unfortunately I found this out after I had already applied. On the other hand, VCU is awesome! I'll most likely be there.

Yeah, I'll get instate tuition at Ohio State at 32,000 and out of state status at VCU all 4 years at 37,000. So tuition isnt a big deal. Anyone else have an opinion or perspective on these two schools?

Let me answer everyone's question. When choosing between VCU and another school, go to VCU. That solves everyone's concerns quite nicely. :)

the medical campus of vcu really isn't that bad...the sketchy part of richmond is the undergrad campus which is like a 3 min drive away...i was soo scared to move to richmond but am seriously loving it...i have a 10 min walk to school so i dont have to deal with traffic but a lot of my classmates live out by short pump (really really nice part of richmond) and leave about 30 mins before classes start...not bad at all

You WANT medical campuses to be in a rougher part of town. They tend to be there, and it tells you that the school' board of trustees know what they're doing. Medical campuses are PURPOSELY put in bad areas, because you learn best and see the widest range of cases when you serve the poorer population. The only university I know of that has placed their med campus in a richer area of town is Stanford (and only because Palo Alto doesn't really have a poor area of town). Their students end up treating rich people all day and have not seen the breadth of cases desired in a medical education.

If you turn down a school because it's in a rougher part of town, you will likely see less breadth of cases while you're in training. Consider it a gift to train in a poor city.

You WANT medical campuses to be in a rougher part of town. They tend to be there, and it tells you that the school' board of trustees know what they're doing. Medical campuses are PURPOSELY put in bad areas, because you learn best and see the widest range of cases when you serve the poorer population. The only university I know of that has placed their med campus in a richer area of town is Stanford (and only because Palo Alto doesn't really have a poor area of town). Their students end up treating rich people all day and have not seen the breadth of cases desired in a medical education.

If you turn down a school because it's in a rougher part of town, you will likely see less breadth of cases while you're in training. Consider it a gift to train in a poor city.

that is absolutely true..i'm just saying in terms of safety the med campus of VCU is safer than the academic campus

Yes money is a big issue but think about the investment you are making with that money. You will be able to pay off your tuition in no time once you graduate.

plus UCSF will offer instate after one year so you should not worry. transportation shouldn't be a big problem either. I live around this area for my whole life and #1 UCSF is my number choice. I was so happy when i got and can't wait to go their in the fall!

Thread Necromancy Bump.
On the off chance that anyone else is/was in a similar situation.