IM first rotation of M3, but interested in IM? Success stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncreativeGenius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I might have to have IM as my first rotation. My concern is I'm interested in going into IM and would much prefer to have it later in the year. Has anyone had IM first and ended up going into it or otherwise doing really well? Please calm my nerves!

Members don't see this ad.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I might have to have IM as my first rotation. My concern is I'm interested in going into IM and would much prefer to have it later in the year. Has anyone had IM first and ended up going into it or otherwise doing really well? Please calm my nerves!
Get the Anking Step 2 deck and finish all IM/associated surgery tagged cards before the rotation if you have time. That way you'll have a great foundation and will only need to reinforce it with patients and practice questions

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

You need to reframe this so that it’s not a major worry. Consider that your class (regardless of how high achieving your school is) is all in the same boat on their first rotation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Honored IM as my first rotation, and for me at least, doing some UWorld every day was huge. 40 on days where I got out at a normal time, and 20 on days when I was too tired to do more. On days off I would do 80. Seems crazy, but you get through a ton and will be well prepared for shelf.

Honored IM as my first rotation, and for me at least, doing some UWorld every day was huge. 40 on days where I got out at a normal time, and 20 on days when I was too tired to do more. On days off I would do 80. Seems crazy, but you get through a ton and will be well prepared for shelf.

Quoted poster's experience helped him/her and I think the above is a great strategy similar to the one I employed where I used UWorld. I will say UWorld did not feel indicative of shelf for me. It's great for (and I think emulates) Step 2 CK, but what I think it does is provides a framework of topics needed to be learnt for the shelf. I think shelf questions are kind of out of left field and come from random, old NBME questions. The style always felt different. Some Qs felt more UWorld-ey but not the majority. The point is not to be afraid of picking up something like CaseFiles and working through that if you feel it's more interactive. It works through all the topics methodically too. Then do all the shelfs. The key though I think is if you had time (I never made) try to review shelf questions and think how they could be reused/asked differently if that makes sense. Just my experience.

Last edited:
IM was a super early rotation for me, got an HP in it. Still matched to a top 10 medicine residency program. Just honor your AI. I'm convinced that PD's really dont give a **** about clinical grades, as I just about half HP half H'd my way through 3rd year. Granted, I had a good step 1 (24x) and came from a top 20 med school.

IM was a super early rotation for me, got an HP in it. Still matched to a top 10 medicine residency program. Just honor your AI. I'm convinced that PD's really dont give a **** about clinical grades, as I just about half HP half H'd my way through 3rd year. Granted, I had a good step 1 (24x) and came from a top 20 med school.

You gave 5 reasons for why you're at a top 10 medicine program (well deserved). Not sure how you're convinced about the bolded though. This definitely is not the case for everyone.

You gave 5 reasons for why you're at a top 10 medicine program (well deserved). Not sure how you're convinced about the bolded though. This definitely is not the case for everyone.

That's fair, I just feel that SDN / reddit gives the mindset that if you don't have 25x and all H's on clinical rotations you're going to a community program. I do realize my school's name most likely opened doors that would have otherwise been shut, so I am grateful to premed me who hustled to be in the seat I am today.

It was my first rotation. Honored it. Went into medicine