I'm getting lost -- need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeyz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in need of some advice. Here's my situation:
I went to one undergraduate university for 2 years, and then transferred to another university and finished 2 more years there. I don't know how admissions will look at this.
At the first University I had a pretty good GPA with the exception of O-chem (1.0) and Physics I (3.0) but Physics II (4.0). This school's GPA structure was different than most: either 4.0,3.5.3.0,etc. Gen chem and all that was a 4.0..The thing that got me here was O-chem. Well to fix the O-chem problem, i re-toook it at a third university and got a 4.0 in O-chem I and then 3.7 Ochem II.
Finally, I started fresh at a new university and took biochem and got a C..took Orgo lab I and got a B+ and Orgo Lab II with a B. My gpa here is hovering at a 3.0.
In addition to all of this i went to a community college and took calc where i got a C+ lol.
MCAT wise = 6 (verbal) 7(phys) 8(bio) <<-- I understand that I must re-take this.
I do have 3 research experiences, volunteering at schools, and 2 years in the hospital.
I didn't even bother applying to med schools mainly because of MCAT.

What would most people advise me to do knowing my situation briefly.
I understand that once I graduate I have a year off and I dont know at this point what to do during this year besides prepare for MCAT, continue volunteering/research. Should i do any post-bac or stuff like that, take additional courses elsewhere. I just want to be competitive and ensure myself of getting in to a MD school and starting med school in exactly two years.

Thanks for reading and putting down some advice. I'll really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

mikeyz said:
Hey guys,

I'm in need of some advice. Here's my situation:
I went to one undergraduate university for 2 years, and then transferred to another university and finished 2 more years there. I don't know how admissions will look at this.
At the first University I had a pretty good GPA with the exception of O-chem (1.0) and Physics I (3.0) but Physics II (4.0). This school's GPA structure was different than most: either 4.0,3.5.3.0,etc. Gen chem and all that was a 4.0..The thing that got me here was O-chem. Well to fix the O-chem problem, i re-toook it at a third university and got a 4.0 in O-chem I and then 3.7 Ochem II.
Finally, I started fresh at a new university and took biochem and got a C..took Orgo lab I and got a B+ and Orgo Lab II with a B. My gpa here is hovering at a 3.0.
In addition to all of this i went to a community college and took calc where i got a C+ lol.
MCAT wise = 6 (verbal) 7(phys) 8(bio) <<-- I understand that I must re-take this.
I do have 3 research experiences, volunteering at schools, and 2 years in the hospital.
I didn't even bother applying to med schools mainly because of MCAT.

What would most people advise me to do knowing my situation briefly.
I understand that once I graduate I have a year off and I dont know at this point what to do during this year besides prepare for MCAT, continue volunteering/research. Should i do any post-bac or stuff like that, take additional courses elsewhere. I just want to be competitive and ensure myself of getting in to a MD school and starting med school in exactly two years.

Thanks for reading and putting down some advice. I'll really appreciate it!

Mikey- To be honest, I don't think you have a great chance of getting accepted to med school with those stats unless you have some incredible ECs or drastically improve your MCAT. Have you considered DO schools? They are a little more lenient in terms of GPA and MCAT.

I do know that I must improve the MCAT. If i were to get a ~ 30, will I still have a shot, or will the GPA still hurt me. The biggest killer of the GPA is the 1.0 in O-chem I, which i retook elsewhere and got a 4.0. Besides that a C in biochem and C+ in calc.

I dont know whether mcat alone will help, or would it be better to re-take biochem and calc too?

In the 1 year i plan to nail the mcat along with other ECs. I dont know whether in addition to that, pursue post-bac, or a grad program or what.

Members don't see this ad :)
mikeyz said:
I do know that I must improve the MCAT. If i were to get a ~ 30, will I still have a shot, or will the GPA still hurt me. The biggest killer of the GPA is the 1.0 in O-chem I, which i retook elsewhere and got a 4.0. Besides that a C in biochem and C+ in calc.

I dont know whether mcat alone will help, or would it be better to re-take biochem and calc too?

In the 1 year i plan to nail the mcat along with other ECs. I dont know whether in addition to that, pursue post-bac, or a grad program or what.

All these GPA points for individual classes are distracting. What are your overall and science GPAs?

School 1: ~ 60 credits: 3.6 (w/ the "D")
School 2: ~ 45 credits (3.2)
School 3: 10 credits (3.7) science classes
comm colleg (got a "C+" so probably a 2.5?)
all cumulative

mikeyz said:
School 1: ~ 60 credits: 3.6 (w/ the "D")
School 2: ~ 45 credits (3.2)
School 3: 10 credits (3.7) science classes
comm colleg (got a "C+" so probably a 2.5?)
all cumulative

So about a 3.5 overall then? That's not bad. If you can just retake any classes you got less than a B in, and then do well in any remaining classes that would be good. Oh and get a 30+ on the MCAT. You should be fine, at least numbers-wise with that.