I'm getting worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my third year of undergrad and my GPA is slowly going down. I have a couple more finals until this semester ends. I got a C in Phyics II and a C in Biology II last semester and I told myself no more!! But, I just finished my Orgo final and didn't do well at all!! I just found out I got another C!! I studied so much for this final and I thought I got it all down!! Before this semester I had a 3.45cgpa and 3.4sgpa, and it's most likely going to go down a bit. I'm planning on taking the DAT sometime in the spring/summer of next year and applying. Should I take it again? I'm already registered for Orgo2 next semester. I'm so worried right now and my hopes of getting into dental school are diminishing. :bang:

Members don't see this ad.

don't beat yourself up over this.. stick with it, go into orgo II and try to do your best.. u gotta realize that its not ALL about gpa and DAT scores.. u gotta make urself as unique of an applicant as possible.. make sure you're doing many other things as well.. i dont konw if you have been keeping up with some posts this cycle but there are people with lower gpa's than that and have gotten into some good schools... keep on going. stay strong and you'll be fine!!

If it's a C and you understand the concepts, slaughter the DAT. However, if you earned a slacker C, well, you DAT score will show. To adjust the mishap, do well on the DAT, in short.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you have good extracurriculars and volunteer hours and things like that.

Did you have any extenuating circumstances that led to your C's? I'm asking because i received a C in Ochem because I missed 2 weeks of instruction due to my grandfather passing away and having to fly back to China. As long as you understand the subject you'll be ok. Just make sure that you demonstrate you know the topics by doing well on the DAT. If you do well on the DAT, then admissions will be more inclined to overlook one back semester.

I am in my third year of undergrad and my GPA is slowly going down. I have a couple more finals until this semester ends. I got a C in Phyics II and a C in Biology II last semester and I told myself no more!! But, I just finished my Orgo final and didn't do well at all!! I just found out I got another C!! I studied so much for this final and I thought I got it all down!! Before this semester I had a 3.45cgpa and 3.4sgpa, and it's most likely going to go down a bit. I'm planning on taking the DAT sometime in the spring/summer of next year and applying. Should I take it again? I'm already registered for Orgo2 next semester. I'm so worried right now and my hopes of getting into dental school are diminishing. :bang:

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you - junior year, 2 C's in prerequisite classes, will probably be getting another C in a science class this semester, but the GPA's still right around average for dental school matriculants. Do you feel like you understand orgo? Would retaking it help you get a better grade in Orgo II? Will your school even let you repeat it if you got a C the first time around? That's really all that matters. When I was in this situation (trying to decide whether or not to drop and repeat Orgo 2 before Biochem) I met with professors who taught the next class and asked them whether or not they thought someone like me would be prepared for their subject.

If you feel that you understand it then your DAT will tell whether or not you know the subject. Don't worry about proving it by retaking the class; prove it by doing well on the DAT.

As far as the downward trend, I personally am taking a slightly easier courseload next semester so I can make straight A's and have time to study for the DAT. A good, solid semester is really all you can do at this point to show you have your act together. If you don't have time to study adequately for the DAT then so be it; your upward trend (from the middle of junior year to the end of senior year) will be there to support you if you have to reapply. And really, would taking a year off be such a bad thing?

Orgo 1 sets a foundation for Orgo 2, much moreso than other two part series (gchem or bio, for example). You need to look back and figure out why you got a C: were you slacking, or did you have difficulty understanding the material? In either case, you could spend winter break catching up and getting ready for Orgo 2, but if it's the latter, you'll have to work extra hard in the spring. On the plus side, if you destroy Orgo 2, that's a pretty good sign of improvement for the adcoms.

Time spent worrying is time wasted. Pick yourself up and correct it by doing better down the road. Ace Orgo 2 by whatever means necessary (TA hours every week, one on one with the teacher working problems, no partying, cutting off some acquaintances.....you get the point) and the Orgo 1 grade will hardly be looked at.