I'm going to cry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yes im talking about ph.d level forensic anthropologists.
Well then you're incorrect. But since you seem to put more stock in random internet searches than in actual advice I won't waste my time explaining it to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look, as people have mentioned, pathology isn't a terrible competitive specialty. It is entirely possible to get there via a DO school. What you need to focus on is the work immediately in front of you, not the somewhat distant future. Take those pre-reqs and get A's.

I don't understand why everyone is talking about DO school when OP's GPA is still competitive for MD schools. He will still likely end up having over 3.5. We don't know his MCAT score or other parameters either.

Anyone with a GPA lower than 3.7 and an MCAT lower than 32, should be considering DO schools. When someone who has yet to take their science pre-reqs complains about their 3.4 GPA, they'd be awfully foolish to dismiss DO schools.

honestly it wouldn't have mattered what I said you would have still made a negative comment either way.

That's because you're making an extremely bad impression with your attitude. The whole "it may sound immature..." post was a slap in the face to DO students and those applying to DO schools. It IS immature and only goes to show that you have a lot to learn about med school and about life.

Anyone with a GPA lower than 3.7 and an MCAT lower than 32, should be considering DO schools. When someone who has yet to take their science pre-reqs complains about their 3.4 GPA, they'd be awfully foolish to dismiss DO schools.

You know the median for accepted students (to allo programs) is around 3.6/31, right?

Jesus people. Ive repeatedly said I have a lot to learn about med school and I already admitted I had misconceptions about DO and was wrong... You're taking my comments way too personally and way too seriously. I can already feel an onslaught of negativity coming in your next response but it doesn't really bother me. I don't mind being wrong and having misconceptions corrected, thats why I am here and that is why I asked for advice in the first place.

As I said to you before in PM...DO students and people looking to go DO hear constant $hit talking about their profession on SDN. It gets really old after a while. Especially since plenty of the offenders are premeds who dont hold an acceptance to EITHER a DO or MD school. As you know, the internet provides a forum for people who lack the cajones to talk $hit in person, to belittle others in the safety of their little e shield. Anyhow, I know you had misconceptions, and recognize that. Just dont be embarassed to apply DO..if that is the situation you are in. It is established that many DO schools have lower admission stats than many MD schools. This does NOT mean the education is subpar. Hell I would take my school ANY DAY over some of the newer MD programs in the US!

You know the median for accepted students (to allo programs) is around 3.6/31, right?

That's the average, not the median. And again, anyone with a GPA less than 3.7 and an MCAT less than 32, should consider DO schools.

The cardiologist that lives across the street from me is a D.O.

That's the average, not the median. And again, anyone with a GPA less than 3.7 and an MCAT less than 32, should consider DO schools.

You might be right about that. EDIT: You are, the mean for accepted students last year was 30.8. link

People with a 3.5/30 have an excellent chance at an MD school if they apply broadly.

Last edited:
You might be right about that.

People with a 3.5/30 have an excellent chance at an MD school if they apply broadly.

They also have a good chance of not getting in, which is why they need to consider DO schools. I'm not saying they should give up on Md schools. I'm just saying that they need to CONSIDER the possibility of not getting in and consider applying to DO schools just in case.

They also have a good chance of not getting in, which is why they need to consider DO schools. I'm not saying they should give up on Md schools. I'm just saying that they need to CONSIDER the possibility of not getting in and consider applying to DO schools just in case.

Yeah, it's not a bad idea. But I don't think most people right around 3.6/32 are going to end up at a DO school unless it's by choice.

I thought I was sitting pretty with a 3.8 GPA, about to take 2 more years worth of pre-reqs and try and work in a bio degree...

Well just now I realized (from reading this forum and other websites) that medical schools do not replace the grade when you repeat a course, therefore I have a 3 unit and 1 unit course that I failed and another 1 unit course that I got a D in, which were all retaken and replaced with A's to make my GPA that lovely 3.8

Per my calculations my true GPA (as med schools will calculate it) is 3.458

In the coming months I plan to take chem, ochem, biochem, physics, calc, microbio, paleo, and genetics. I was hoping that 3.8 cushion would allow for a few lower grades but now I think I am completely screwed.

Is there any hope? Can I be competative like this? Do I need an A in every course I complete for the next 2 years? AGUOIEOGIH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :scared:

You always have to aim for the A. A high overall gpa and a mediocre science gpa isn't the best way to go either, you know? Do the best you can in your prereqs, take a few fluffer classes to get the overall up, and try not to screw up the MCAT.

To everyone else:

I'm a DO student and have no idea why everyone is quick to jump on the DO train. OP hasn't taken the majority of prereqs and hasn't taken the MCAT yet. Who knows what the next two years will bring? That being said, if he/she is borderline at the end of the two years then it would only make sense to apply as broadly as possible.

So, I am coming to this thread late, but I wanted to bring you some hope--even though you have a loOoOong road ahead of you...

I had my 4th knee surgery my sophomore year of college--I played DI soccer.. & my grades in a couple classes were negatively affected--basically, I was a wreck. I re-took the grades, aced the next two grueling, school packed years, and was accepted this cycle to 1 MD program so far. I am in a master's program at a DO school--and it has opened my eyes to how wonderful the DO path truly is. I haven't heard back from the DO school--albeit there is still time, but I heard back from an MD program... each school knows what they are looking for! :) You just never know until you get to that place where you are ready to apply!

Work hard, ace those classes, do well in your MCAT, & don't forget to live a little & volunteer... being well rounded got me in for sure... I made sure the interviewers knew that I am more than my MCAT & GPA--you want them to remember you for something specific since they will most likely interview a few ppl in any one given day... potentially a few in the morning and a few in the afternoon...

I realize the "interviewing" stuff is still soon---but I was absolutely GRILLED on my sophomore year situation--so make absolutely sure you practice not being defensive when discussing those grades... I always explained to my interviewers how that experience helped me--and it did--so that is something to think about.

Best of luck--you can do anything you set your mind to.