I'm going to fall asleep during this stupid thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green Chimneys

Meatwad's Worst Nightmare
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So pretty much all of my post pubertal life, when I haven't had anything absolutely mandatory to do, I've fallen in to a pattern of staying up until about 4-5am and waking up at about 11 or 12. I feel like it's my natural pattern, as it really doesn't matter how long I stay up or how much sleep I get, I won't fall asleep until very late (DSPS anyone?). When I have to get up in the mornings, I can usually do it (well except for that one time in my 2nd year when I overslept half an exam and yet somehow pulled off a decent grade:eek:), but I'm absolutely always dragging in the AM. Of course, with my time off for studying, I was not able to keep to a normal day and fell in to this annoying pattern again.

The problem here is that I have just over a week until the exam, and I'm concerned that I'll be below optimal performance on the first half of my exam. I KNOW I'm not going to be able to get on a normal schedule in a week. Everybody seems to get burned out by the end of this behemoth, but does anyone else feel like they're going to bomb the first half because they won't be fully awake yet? If so, how do you plan to be on top of your game? I'm going to throw down about 4 cups of coffee and bring a pack of red bulls, but that may kill my focus because of a distended bladder!:laugh:

Yeah yeah, I know I'm going to have to get over it soon for 3rd year. For the first few weeks I'm sure I'll be there in body...just maybe not in mind before 10.:sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm the same way - only a little bit worse. I haven't managed to wake up before 1pm while I have been studying for the boards.

My advice to you is just to start waking up at the time you plan to on the morning of the boards. I'm giving myself two weeks to get used to this schedule. I only gave myself 1 week before the MCAT and it did not work. I was so tired for the first half of that exam.

I only gave myself 1 week before the MCAT and it did not work. I was so tired for the first half of that exam.

I tried to get on schedule for the MCAT, but fate intervened. I was lying in bed trying to sleep, but my roommate and another buddy were downstairs playing Metal Gear Solid 2, which they had rented, with the sound blasted. I came down and ripped them a new one, but couldn't sleep when I went back to my bed. Instead, I went back and played through the entire game with them and went to the exam on no sleep at all. I got lucky and rocked the test. I actually think I'm less tired if I get no sleep as opposed to 1-3 hours. Somehow I don't think that strategy will payoff for Step 1...but maybe...

I saw a post by medsurg2010 in the Step 1 experiences thread in which he said his test had been scheduled for noon. Maybe you could schedule yours for later in the morning or around noon?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm the exact same way, only worse. I have been going to sleep around 6-7am, and only wake up around 3. I have always been a night person, same as you. I am taking my exam in another city that offered a noon test time b/c I think it would affect my grade as well.

I saw a post by medsurg2010 in the Step 1 experiences thread in which he said his test had been scheduled for noon. Maybe you could schedule yours for later in the morning or around noon?

I didn't do anything special-- when I went to schedule it on the prometric site the time available was "12:00"... Just search around at different locations on different days, I saw many at 11/12pm.

I didn't do anything special-- when I went to schedule it on the prometric site the time available was "12:00"... Just search around at different locations on different days, I saw many at 11/12pm.

Hmm...well it's definitely not offered it my city at that time, but there are several cities within a couple hour drive where I could stay with friends the night before. I'll have to look in to that.

I'm having similar issues... my exam is the 10th. I'm trying to force myself to wake up early every day. I use a workout at the gym as a goal to get out of bed in the morning, and after I work out, I'm usually not quite as mind-crushingly tired by midmorning as I normally would be. I'm still not used to being a morning person, and I still think the exam in a little over a week will be pretty rough at first, but I've got to try something.

On a side note, we're all in for a rough awakening for third year. I'm pretty sure the only option most attendings give for rounds is "buttcrack of dawn". I'm going to savor those last couple of weeks of freedom after Step 1 in my bed till noon every day.

I'm the same way - only a little bit worse. I haven't managed to wake up before 1pm while I have been studying for the boards.

My advice to you is just to start waking up at the time you plan to on the morning of the boards. I'm giving myself two weeks to get used to this schedule. I only gave myself 1 week before the MCAT and it did not work. I was so tired for the first half of that exam.

Almost everyone gets anxious the night before boards. I slept maybe 3 hours.

I'd recommend making sure you get plenty of sleep two days before so that your body is at least somewhat rested for the eve of your big day.

So pretty much all of my post pubertal life, when I haven't had anything absolutely mandatory to do, I've fallen in to a pattern of staying up until about 4-5am and waking up at about 11 or 12. I feel like it's my natural pattern, as it really doesn't matter how long I stay up or how much sleep I get, I won't fall asleep until very late (DSPS anyone?). When I have to get up in the mornings, I can usually do it (well except for that one time in my 2nd year when I overslept half an exam and yet somehow pulled off a decent grade:eek:), but I'm absolutely always dragging in the AM. Of course, with my time off for studying, I was not able to keep to a normal day and fell in to this annoying pattern again.

The problem here is that I have just over a week until the exam, and I'm concerned that I'll be below optimal performance on the first half of my exam. I KNOW I'm not going to be able to get on a normal schedule in a week. Everybody seems to get burned out by the end of this behemoth, but does anyone else feel like they're going to bomb the first half because they won't be fully awake yet? If so, how do you plan to be on top of your game? I'm going to throw down about 4 cups of coffee and bring a pack of red bulls, but that may kill my focus because of a distended bladder!:laugh:

Yeah yeah, I know I'm going to have to get over it soon for 3rd year. For the first few weeks I'm sure I'll be there in body...just maybe not in mind before 10.:sleep:

im the EXACT same way. i have been forcing myself to sleep at 2am and wake up at 10 (which has been really hard cause im used to 4am). i scheduled my exam for 1pm though. i noticed that the availability of afternoon slots can depend on the day. for example...the test center near me only offered afternoon slots mon-wed. check around all the reasonably nearby test centers im sure someone will be offering an afternoon slot.

I'm usually like most of the posters in this thread - go to bed at 2, wake up at 9-10 and then get to work. That's what I did for most of my first two years whenever possible. I didn't think I'd be able to get going in the morning for Step 1 studying, but the latest that I've started studying is 9:30am, and I've gotten to school as early as 6:45. I really don't want to flub the big one.

So, a random question kind of off topic, but still dealing with the issue of taking the actual test. Does anyone know if you get up to use the bathroom in the middle of a test block? Or, do you have to wait until you're in between sections?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, a random question kind of off topic, but still dealing with the issue of taking the actual test. Does anyone know if you get up to use the bathroom in the middle of a test block? Or, do you have to wait until you're in between sections?

You have to hold it. :mad: Sucks, huh?

COMLEX is even worse. You don't have the option of a break in between two of the blocks.

So I found out I can take the test at my same center at noon, but I would have to take it three days earlier. I'm not sure if it's worth it, since I'd have to revamp my study schedule. On the other hand, I would probably be more effective studying if I didn't have to worry about studying in the morning for the next few weeks.

What do you all think?

You have to hold it. :mad: Sucks, huh?

COMLEX is even worse. You don't have the option of a break in between two of the blocks.

i did my practice today at the test center...and there is an option for an emergency break (lock button at the top right)...but i imagine its pretty well controlled so that people dont cheat.

How did those of you posting on this thread manage to get through medical school up until this point being severe night-owls? Don't medical school classes during M1 and M2 start around 8:00am M-F and require you to be alert during class all day? I'm asking this question because I'm also a night owl and function better in the evening, and I'm hoping to get into medical school. I'm a little worried about how I'll handle it. Thanks.

you can leave the block for as long as you want, just remember it doesnt count as break time though, it count towards your block time

How did those of you posting on this thread manage to get through medical school up until this point being severe night-owls? Don't medical school classes during M1 and M2 start around 8:00am M-F and require you to be alert during class all day? I'm asking this question because I'm also a night owl and function better in the evening, and I'm hoping to get into medical school. I'm a little worried about how I'll handle it. Thanks.

The curriculum, and class time, depends on your school. I don't know of any schools that have required class time, though I am sure some crappy administration out there has it. Many schools have video streaming, so you can watch the classes on double speed at your own leisure (that's what 75% of our class did that doesn't go to class). There were some required labs, resident groups, CBL, and case times that you had to go to, and sometimes these would be in the mornings, but it was not every day. Obviously 3rd/4th year will be different, and we are expected to be at the hospital by 5 am.

Oh, THAT'S what all my classmates were doing every day!

PS: I didn't go to class much at all after first semester of M1, and skipped nearly everything second year, unless it was required.

i did my practice today at the test center...and there is an option for an emergency break (lock button at the top right)...but i imagine its pretty well controlled so that people dont cheat.

:eek::eek::eek: No! You hold it, until you're done with the test block!

DO NOT even THINK about clicking that "emergency break" button unless it is a life-threatening emergency!

Anytime that you click on that "emergency break" button, it FLAGS your test, because it is considered an irregularity. Your score will be flagged, and you'll have to explain why there is a major "irregularity" with your test.

Don't waste that "emergency break" button on a bathroom break. Until your bladder bursts, and you start developing sepsis from the resulting peritonitis, hold it in!!

People - READ the rules and regulations booklet given out by the NBME!

Once you begin a block of the test, no authorized breaks are provided during the block. Each block lasts approximately 30 to 60 minutes. During blocks, the block and daytime clocks continue to run even if you leave the testing room, (e.g., for a personal emergency). If you leave during a block, the test center staff will report that fact as an irregular incident.

Last edited:
Anytime that you click on that "emergency break" button, it FLAGS your test, because it is considered an irregularity. Your score will be flagged, and you'll have to explain why there is a major "irregularity" with your test.

Sadly, I could have used this function on my MCAT, back in the day of the paper test. We had a girl pass out during the exam and paramedics were in the room during the last few minutes of the physical science section.....