This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LOR combos

  • IM + IM + average IM letter

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • IM + IM + chair

    Votes: 10 76.9%
  • IM + IM + FM

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • IM + IM + Ob

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    13

Army guy

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I'm a 4th yr looking to go into IM at a preferably academic hospital. Prob a dumb question, and I apologize if its wasting thread space lol, but I'm in a dilemma as to which letters to upload. How important is it for IM programs that letters come from IM physicians?
Currently, I have 3 IM letters and a IM chair letter. The problem is I know one of the letters is probably mediocre, and the I found out that the person who writes the IM chair letters for my school is brutally honest (which isn't necessarily good in a LOR lol).
I have stellar FM and Ob letters, and between the two, would it matter which I chose for programs that limited LOR to 3? Or in your opinion, should I just use the IM letters for the sake that it is IM.
 
Hey guys, I'm a 4th yr looking to go into IM at a preferably academic hospital. Prob a dumb question, and I apologize if its wasting thread space lol, but I'm in a dilemma as to which letters to upload. How important is it for IM programs that letters come from IM physicians?
Currently, I have 3 IM letters and a IM chair letter. The problem is I know one of the letters is probably mediocre, and the I found out that the person who writes the IM chair letters for my school is brutally honest (which isn't necessarily good in a LOR lol).
I have stellar FM and Ob letters, and between the two, would it matter which I chose for programs that limited LOR to 3? Or in your opinion, should I just use the IM letters for the sake that it is IM.

A lot of places require a chair letter so that automatically decides for you. I'd just add in a fourth letter from the FM or Ob whichever is stronger, maybe FM. Get rid of the mediocre IM letter.
 
A lot of places require a chair letter so that automatically decides for you. I'd just add in a fourth letter from the FM or Ob whichever is stronger, maybe FM. Get rid of the mediocre IM letter.

sweet. thanks for the advice!