IM LOR poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LOR combos

• IM + IM + average IM letter

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • IM + IM + chair

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • IM + IM + FM

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • IM + IM + Ob

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Army guy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a 4th yr looking to go into IM at a preferably academic hospital. Prob a dumb question, and I apologize if its wasting thread space lol, but I'm in a dilemma as to which letters to upload. How important is it for IM programs that letters come from IM physicians?
Currently, I have 3 IM letters and a IM chair letter. The problem is I know one of the letters is probably mediocre, and the I found out that the person who writes the IM chair letters for my school is brutally honest (which isn't necessarily good in a LOR lol).
I have stellar FM and Ob letters, and between the two, would it matter which I chose for programs that limited LOR to 3? Or in your opinion, should I just use the IM letters for the sake that it is IM.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'm a 4th yr looking to go into IM at a preferably academic hospital. Prob a dumb question, and I apologize if its wasting thread space lol, but I'm in a dilemma as to which letters to upload. How important is it for IM programs that letters come from IM physicians?
Currently, I have 3 IM letters and a IM chair letter. The problem is I know one of the letters is probably mediocre, and the I found out that the person who writes the IM chair letters for my school is brutally honest (which isn't necessarily good in a LOR lol).
I have stellar FM and Ob letters, and between the two, would it matter which I chose for programs that limited LOR to 3? Or in your opinion, should I just use the IM letters for the sake that it is IM.

A lot of places require a chair letter so that automatically decides for you. I'd just add in a fourth letter from the FM or Ob whichever is stronger, maybe FM. Get rid of the mediocre IM letter.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of places require a chair letter so that automatically decides for you. I'd just add in a fourth letter from the FM or Ob whichever is stronger, maybe FM. Get rid of the mediocre IM letter.

sweet. thanks for the advice!