i'm new here, help with qualifications/requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spikey

penn vet 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. i am applying this coming summer/fall for the class of 2007, only to UPENN. i want to tell you what qualifications i have, and would like feedback about more that i can do and such from others who've gotten in there or are in there now. thanks :)

overall GPA: 3.986
science GPA: 4.0
GRE: V480 (bleh!) Q630 Writing=4.5
Biology undergrad, expecting B.S. May 2007
Current research on Juvenile Horseshoe Crab Feeding Ecology. if that goes well i may be published and graduate with distinction from my undergrad college.
will be Teaching Assistant for Comparative Anatomy this upcoming fall term

since august 2005, i have been working at a small animal hospital. i started as a kennel technician and have been promoted after 6 months to a doctor's assistant. i'm there about 3 days a week. prior to that i shadowed a vet for several weeks (the same i work for now). the three vets i work for all went to UPENN.

references: advisor at college is a vet, from Penn and so is vet recommendation. haven't completely decided on the third choice.

my main question is do i stand a chance with those horrible GRE scores? i am going to take them again, but i dont know how much they will go up. i stink at standardized tests. any info/feedback you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

No worries. You look very solid. Good luck wrapping up your BS. Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about you GRE's. I got in with a 4 year old 480 (Q), 500 (V), and 570 (A) with a lower GPA than you.

Adenovirus

I strongly advise you to talk with an admissions officer from U of Penn if that is where you are interested in applying, though you could benefit by hedging your bets and looking at other schools too. While your grades seem more than adequate, anything someone posts here about your chances of admission is pure speculation. If you give them time to respond, the officers are usually very sympathetic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that you should contact Penn. I strongly caution you to reconsider applying to only 1 school (without looking at your background, I would say this to anyone) UNLESS this is the only school you would go to (meaning you would not become a vet if you couldn't go to that school). Vet school admission is extremely competitive so unless you have the time to keep applying each year to the same school over and over again you are much better off to at least apply to a couple more schools.

Welcome to our forum :).
Congratulations on a high GPA! You probably will have no problem getting into U. Penn.
This is what I would suggest to further improve your chances:
1) Keep getting all the veterinary related work experience that you can. If possible, vary your experience by working at another clinic/getting large animal experience if you don't have any.
2) Have you college advisor (and other people) look over your VMCAS essay/statement of purpose. These people can give you suggestions on how to write a strong essay.
3) Retake the GRE. I know it is a standardized test and it is frustrating, but it is possible to improve. I scored similar to you the first time I took it, and much better the second time. Also, I hate to say it, but U. Penn likes high GRE scores.
Try getting a GRE study book with practice tests. Barron makes one that is pretty good and it comes with a CD. ETS should have sent you a CD with practice exercises/tests on it when you signed up for the test. I thought the CD was pretty helpful. Also, the best thing in the world that I found to study those ridiculous vocabulary words was the Flip-O-Matic GRE flash card book. It is an awesome book. I took it everywhere I went for months and learned all the words. The book should be at any major bookstore or online for about $12. Seriously, I loved the book. They should get me to do an infomercial on it!
U. Penn is a great program and the interview is really laid back and the people there are really nice. They are also really big on research, so your research background should help you out. You might consider having your research mentor write one of your letters of recommendation.
Out of curiosity, what are your reasons for applying only to U. Penn? If you are going through all the work of applying, you might consider some other similar choices to fall back on, such as Cornell or Tufts. Really though, U. Penn is a great option if you can survive living in downtown Philadelphia. Sounds like you are probably familiar with the area though.
Good luck!

If U. Penn likes good GRE scores (ie, weighs them heaviliy) then yeah maybe you should retake the GRE. I was accepted at schools that evidently don't weigh GRE scores too heavily (when I interviewed at Michigan State I heard they were trying to make it so the GRE was no longer used in the application process AT ALL...and this will be effective in a year or 2 I think). I agree with this philosophy, but that's neither here nor there.

Like said above, I would also suggest applying to more schools.

Adeno

Hey, I'm another NJ person and will be starting Penn in the fall. You look like a pretty strong from what you posted, but it's tough especially only applying to one school. Is there nowhere else you would consider? I'm going to echo everyone else and say that this is a risky thing to do especially since you would technically be applying out of state.

I'll also second (third?) the opinion that Penn does seem to like the GRE (I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally speaking), so retaking them would probably be a good idea. If it were me I would review both sections and even if you get some kind of 500 in Verbal, a higher math score would make it IMO more competitive.

If your main experience is small animal, the only other thing that you might consider is getting some other kind of animal experience this summer, even if it's only a few volunteer hours. You could do L.A., zoo, wildlife rehab, etc, whatever interests you. I do know from talking to the admissions people at PENN, though, that it is big for them that the areas of interest you express in your VMCAS are areas in which you have some substantial experience.

Hey spikey

not to echo what everyone has already said, but that is an incredibly risky move to only apply to one school, especially if you're really eager to become a vet and get in right away. I had a similar GPA to you from cornell, higher GRE's by more than 100 pts in Q/V, thousands of small, large, and wildlife hours, research experience, 2 semesters teaching assistant, and i'm also from NJ. Upenn didn't even give me an interview, but i was accepted to lots of other great schools and i will be heading to tufts or cornell (if i get in off the waiting list) in the fall. if you're passionate about being a vet, apply to lots of places because you really can't ever tell what will happen. competition is incredibly keen and sometimes it's really hard to tell what they're looking for.
good luck!

hey, thanks for all the responses. you all are quick ;)

thanks for all of the advice, and i'll address some of the things you've said and/or asked:

GRE: i understand completely that i need a higher score here. I was dissapointed, especially at my verbal score. i plan on studying more and more and really raising my grade.

@wishes: thanks for the book recommendation. i had the dummies one, and i'll look into the one you've mentioned as well. i need all the help i can get. :laugh:

@2Bsure and chris03333: i have been in contact via email with an admissions director for about 6 months now. when i have questions, i email her and such. should i do more?

about only applying to UPENN: for monetary and family reasons, i really cannot get too far away from home. i can commute to PENN (i'm close enough and my boss who went there has done it as well), and in my view the best fit for me. they have all the options right here: zoo medicine, LA medicine, and SA medicine. i can choose there because i really like them all. also, if i do not get in, i will be applying to grad schools to go for my M.S. in science. thats my backup until i get in. determination :cool:

@LynnKat: i am interested in zoo medicine, but my parents aren't too keen on me going over to the Philly zoo to do some volunteering. i have 7 or 8 years of riding experience, does that help? it was when i was younger though. we cannot afford the lessons now, but i still love the horses.

FYI, the average GRE scores for Penn (according to their website) are V583 and Q690. I would definately take them again. Other than that, you gpa, experiences, etc. sound great! I would only recommend that you might consider getting some large animal experience with a vet (if you haven't already).

You should definately call and talk to Mac Keiter about the whole process. He is the assistant dean of admissions and is extremely nice and extremely helpful. Rosanne Herpen in admissions is also a very resourceful person to talk to. You may want to give them a week or two, though, since we're coming up close on the April 17th admissions deadline and they are most likely swamped right now.

Another thing, you can most likely set up something during the summer to tour both the Philly campus and the NBC and to meet one on one with Mac Keiter about your application and chances and such. I did this last year and it was really helpful in getting to know the school and he remembered on interview day that I had been there, which certainly couldn't have hurt!

Good luck! Maybe Ill see you next year ;)

spikey,

I'm not too familiar with the Philly Zoo, but why are your parents against you volunteering there? Do they have any type of internship program? The Oakland Zoo here in the San Francisco Bay Area has a nice internship program where you choose to work with specific types of animals and get a mini research or enrichment project to work on during your time there. Volunteering at wildlife rehab facilities can also get you in touch with species other than LA or SA that will look good if you have an interest in wildlife/zoo medicine. It helps if the rehab faciliity has a veterinarian working there full-time (or at least on a regular basis, if they're not paid). While you can get good experience at any type of wildlife rehab facility, its nice to have a vet there to explain things and to shadow for actual medical procedures. Some of the smaller facilities w/o vets often rely on local vets to help out, but the number of interesting cases may be fewer. I'm pretty sure that riding experience doesn't really help out with an interest in zoo medicine. But like I (and many others) have said before, while it's great that you're interested in zoo medicine, keep in mind that the number of jobs out there are limited for zoo vets. What's most important during the application process is that you have a realistic view of what you plan to do in veterinary medicine after graduation....

According to the most recent AAVMC information sheet about Penn, the average GRE scores this cycle were V-580 and M-720, but these numbers change from year to year, so I would not worry about them as much as you have.

If my own personal experience is any indication, U of Penn seeks students with diverse backgrounds and interests that extend beyond veterinary medicine. (Though I urge you to take caution and refer back to my earlier post on the matter of personal anecdotes!!!) This semester, I’m completing degrees in animal science and economics. I have a good deal of veterinary experience, but I’ve also spent the last few summers working in the Department of Health and Human Services.

Moreover, I know other applicants had unusual backgrounds too. At my interview there was a candidate who had spent time working as an urban schoolteacher in the Teach for America program. Another, who posts on this board, has keen interests in ethology and animal welfare. Basically, they are looking to admit a class of well-rounded individuals.

Spikey, based on what you have written you should have no problem at all with this aspect of admissions, but they also try to admit students they know will attend. Penn was very direct when asking applicants to which other schools they applied and gained admission.

@PAThbrd: Rosanne Herpen is the one i've been in contact with for awhile now. so you recommend a visit this summer? i was told it wasn't really important, but if you think it will help, i'll do it. i would like to get LA experience, but i don't know of anybody that would want someone who can only give them a little of my time. i spend so much time at the SA hospital i work at that i cant really afford much more. do you still think i should find a LA vet?

@snowyegret: i'm not that crazy about zoo medicine, its just me leaving the door open for other possibilities. i may like it once i get to vet school, i dont know. i just didnt want to shut any doors. right now, probably mostly because thats what i'm dealing with, i really enjoy the SA thing. so thats what i'm planning on right now.

@2Bsure: Penn can be sure that if they admit me, i'll attend. thats for sure :] thanks for your input.

I dont think visiting is overly important in terms of admissions... It was just really nice for me to get a good feel of the school and the people. And I was able to ask all my specific questions in person and get longer and more detailed answers than I was getting from the website and email correspondence. It certainly can't hurt your application! :)

For LA, even if you could just find someone to shadow with for a couple days, then you'll be able to say you've had experience with that side of the profession. I know people who have gotten in with only SA or only LA experiences, but it seems that most people have at least a bit of each.

Good luck!

PAThbrd said:
I dont think visiting is overly important in terms of admissions... It was just really nice for me to get a good feel of the school and the people. And I was able to ask all my specific questions in person and get longer and more detailed answers than I was getting from the website and email correspondence. It certainly can't hurt your application! :)

For LA, even if you could just find someone to shadow with for a couple days, then you'll be able to say you've had experience with that side of the profession. I know people who have gotten in with only SA or only LA experiences, but it seems that most people have at least a bit of each.

Good luck!

thanks! :D

i think i'll arrange a visit, sounds like a good idea for me, the girl of many questions. hehe.

and i'll check and see if i can find one to have me shadow. i'm going to ask my vet, but if she doesnt know, is there a way for me to find one in my area? there has to be a google search or something, right?

Where in NJ are you? I would highly recommend talking to Mid Atlantic Equine if you are anywhere near the Lambertville area... they are a major referral center and I believe they are pretty pre-vet friendly.

spikey said:
hey everyone. i am applying this coming summer/fall for the class of 2007, only to UPENN. i want to tell you what qualifications i have, and would like feedback about more that i can do and such from others who've gotten in there or are in there now. thanks :)

overall GPA: 3.986
science GPA: 4.0
GRE: V480 (bleh!) Q630 Writing=4.5
Biology undergrad, expecting B.S. May 2007
Current research on Juvenile Horseshoe Crab Feeding Ecology. if that goes well i may be published and graduate with distinction from my undergrad college.
will be Teaching Assistant for Comparative Anatomy this upcoming fall term

since august 2005, i have been working at a small animal hospital. i started as a kennel technician and have been promoted after 6 months to a doctor's assistant. i'm there about 3 days a week. prior to that i shadowed a vet for several weeks (the same i work for now). the three vets i work for all went to UPENN.

references: advisor at college is a vet, from Penn and so is vet recommendation. haven't completely decided on the third choice.

my main question is do i stand a chance with those horrible GRE scores? i am going to take them again, but i dont know how much they will go up. i stink at standardized tests. any info/feedback you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you're a strong candidate. If you want to take the GRE you can, but at this point in the cycle wouldn't it be too late? Maybe you should just roll with it write an outstanding personal statement and ace the interview. I am sure admissions committe can overlook at least one aspect of your qualifications.

I wouldn't worry about applying to one school....did u tailor your pre-reqs and stuff to get into UPENN? my cousin did that to go to texas a&m and got in on her first trya nd she only applied to one school. YOu have such a high GPA....and good experiences....I wish u luck!

The V is for verbal right? I think that's okay....verbal is good but you're quantitative is above average? I think u should be fine....well that's just my opinion. I hope u get in!

medtechv79 said:
Sounds like you're a strong candidate. If you want to take the GRE you can, but at this point in the cycle wouldn't it be too late? Maybe you should just roll with it write an outstanding personal statement and ace the interview. I am sure admissions committe can overlook at least one aspect of your qualifications.

I wouldn't worry about applying to one school....did u tailor your pre-reqs and stuff to get into UPENN? my cousin did that to go to texas a&m and got in on her first trya nd she only applied to one school. YOu have such a high GPA....and good experiences....I wish u luck!

The V is for verbal right? I think that's okay....verbal is good but you're quantitative is above average? I think u should be fine....well that's just my opinion. I hope u get in!

i'm not applying until this coming fall for entry in 2007, so i still have lots of time to retake my GRE. my verbal is pretty low and my quantitative is still below average, but i'm studying again to bring them up as much as possible.

yes, i did tailor my pre-reqs to UPENN only. i'm hoping that by them seeing they are my only choice, that may help and/or count for something. my boss now did the same thing -- only applied to PENN and got in.

@PAThbrd: Mid Atlantic Equine, i checked, is about an hour and 15 mins from my house. i'm right near philly, glassboro area. i can see if i can work something out with them, but do you know of anything a bit closer to me? i've done a web search, and the closest thing i can get is 45 mins away, so i've emailed them to see if i can do anything there.

I don't know how close Philadelphia Park is, but when I was living in Philly I knew some people who got their equine experience there. Not exactly the glamorous side of vet med, but definately a reality that does exist.

spikey said:

i'm not applying until this coming fall for entry in 2007, so i still have lots of time to retake my GRE. my verbal is pretty low and my quantitative is still below average, but i'm studying again to bring them up as much as possible.

yes, i did tailor my pre-reqs to UPENN only. i'm hoping that by them seeing they are my only choice, that may help and/or count for something. my boss now did the same thing -- only applied to PENN and got in.

@PAThbrd: Mid Atlantic Equine, i checked, is about an hour and 15 mins from my house. i'm right near philly, glassboro area. i can see if i can work something out with them, but do you know of anything a bit closer to me? i've done a web search, and the closest thing i can get is 45 mins away, so i've emailed them to see if i can do anything there.

thanks JIKJen124. i'll have to look into that as well.

sorry to bump this old thread.

so i found a LA vet that i may be able to shadow several times this summer. and i will be going to the shelter when my boss goes to do spay/neuters.

does that round me out a bit more?