I'm Not Really That Jazzed About Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymousername

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I switched from pre-med for many reasons and I don't intend on switching back. But I'm just starting to feel....irritated. I couldn't care less about a filling, root canal therapy, or any one of the dull procedures that dentists do all day long. It bums me out to see all these pre-dents on here who are so amped about their future career and me not really caring, no....being indifferent to what my future holds. I wish I was as excited as the other premeds/dental students about my career and it kind of sucks that I'm not.

I still want to be a dentists, what should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't get me wrong, I switched from pre-med for many reasons and I don't intend on switching back. But I'm just starting to feel....irritated. I couldn't care less about a filling, root canal therapy, or any one of the dull procedures that dentists do all day long. It bums me out to see all these pre-dents on here who are so amped about their future career and me not really caring, no....being indifferent to what my future holds. I wish I was as excited as the other premeds/dental students about my career and it kind of sucks that I'm not.

sometimes being amped is not what matters. is it a good fit? what kind of lifestyle are you looking for? do you want a career that ur really really passionate about and love but have to put in 80 hrs a week? or do you want a JOB where you do ur thing for 40 hrs a week, and go home to ur family and have a life outside ur career. and the procedures will become more interesting the more you get to know about it.

Dont get me wrong im not dying to look at teeth all day either, but u reaaally dont sound enthusiastic one bit about your future career.

IMO, if you dont switch out or learn to grow some type of love towards dentistry you WILL HATE you career(which you will be doing for the rest of your life)

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at what got you to make the switch in the first place. Obviously something in the dental field made you stop and think about it as a career.

Well Jazz is not my thing either, but i'm really excited about dentistry! :D

my thoughts exactly...

Be a dentist. Are you easily excited about things? I am assuming not. Some personalities can find "meaning" in a job, and get excited about it quite easily, but some of us are not easily impressed. You haven't practiced as a dentist yet, so you don't know how you truly feel about the whole thing. I have come to the conclusion that the career that we choose won't give us the satisfaction and meaning that we think it will when we are young. Don't get me wrong, the wrong job with the wrong compensation can really be a downer. True meaning comes in relationships, and community. Let me give an example. A dentist that I shadowed is an older gentleman who in the twilight of his practice and finds more satisfaction and excitement in talking and helping his very loyal patients (fans). He is a very competent dentist, but he would rather forfeit profit, and have a slower practice that allows him the ability to chat up his patients.

You may never jump for joy over a root canal, but you might get excited in plying a trade in the aid of people whom you consider friends.

I would suggest that you shadow a little bit more.. if u cant find enjoyment/excitement after learning more about different procedures, your gearing yourself up for a loonnngggg career before retirement. For instance, dorky as it sounds, I'm always trying to look at my boyfriend's mouth at the work he's had done just "for fun" and my own curiosity... now if only he'd let me get an explorer out and pick at him i'd really have a blast!

Don't get me wrong, I switched from pre-med for many reasons and I don't intend on switching back. But I'm just starting to feel....irritated. I couldn't care less about a filling, root canal therapy, or any one of the dull procedures that dentists do all day long. It bums me out to see all these pre-dents on here who are so amped about their future career and me not really caring, no....being indifferent to what my future holds. I wish I was as excited as the other premeds/dental students about my career and it kind of sucks that I'm not. I still want to be a dentists, what should I do?

You can either look for the nearest exit door or you become a dentist that does not perform any endo, restorative, oral surgery, pedo, ortho, perio or prosthodontics.

A job is a job and not a vacation. You don't have to like it and it will most likely not make you happy. I am sure there are no dentists out there who would work rather then spend time with their family (if the relationship is healthy). Besides, it is OK to hate your job as long as you do everything by the rules and the outcome is of high quality.

Last edited:
I would suggest that you shadow a little bit more.. if u cant find enjoyment/excitement after learning more about different procedures, your gearing yourself up for a loonnngggg career before retirement. For instance, dorky as it sounds, I'm always trying to look at my boyfriend's mouth at the work he's had done just "for fun" and my own curiosity... now if only he'd let me get an explorer out and pick at him i'd really have a blast!

Not to be rude, but shadowing is SO BORING!!! After an hour of watching I am ready to go do something else. I am very excited to become a dentist but I wouldn't say I would die if I couldn't practice dentistry. I will suggest to the OP to maybe make a list of what you think the pro's of dentistry are. Obviously dentistry is not like wakeboarding or motor biking but it will give me the means to enjoy my other hobbies and relationships.

Members don't see this ad :)
A job is a job and not a vacation. You don't have to like it and it will most likely not make you happy. I am sure there are no dentists out there who would work rather then spend time with a family (if the relationship is healthy). Besides, it is OK to hate your job as long as you do everything by the rules and the outcome is of high quality.
:thumbup:

oh shadowing is definitely boring. but i gain appreciation for dentistry the more i learn about it.

and i still disagree with the job is job its ok if u hate it comment. duh, people would rather not work than work.. but you shouldnt hate your job. that will make for a miserable life.

A job is a job and not a vacation. You don't have to like it and it will most likely not make you happy. I am sure there are no dentists out there who would work rather then spend time with a family (if the relationship is healthy). Besides, it is OK to hate your job as long as you do everything by the rules and the outcome is of high quality.

:thumbup:

If the OP is looking for the perfect career he may be setting himself up for a let-down.
What got me initially interested in dentistry is its ability to supply the income and the freedom to cultivate familial, and fraternal relationships. I have known many dentists who have had the ability to support a nice lifestyle for their families, and have also had the ability to have hobbies or serve in the community.

You can make lists
You can shadow 10000000+ years
You can know everything about the profession
You can love dentistry more than your mother

And still, you might hate it when you start practicing.

To the OP: if and when you get accepted, think about it that way: the committee of 5-20 people decided that you are a worthy person for the school to dedicate their resources, ideas and knowledge to. That you have a potential of becoming a dentist and meeting all the ethical/intellectual standards dentistry requires. It should mean a lot to you because those 5-20 people definitely have MUCH MUCH more experience in the field of dental health than you.

Personally if you do not love it do not go in it. I say this because your passion shows not only to your teachers but to your patients and it is not fair for your patients. I used to have this dentist and you could tell he hated his job. It was written all over his face and even showed in his work (he had no pride in his job). He often did fast clean ups and shady work, just trying to get the day done. I thought this was so sad. Now this is different than having cold feet because all of us are scared to commit to a field in all honesty we known nothing about. If money is your number one reason there are other jobs that are more profitable than dentistry.

A job is a job and not a vacation. You don't have to like it and it will most likely not make you happy. I am sure there are no dentists out there who would work rather then spend time with their family (if the relationship is healthy). Besides, it is OK to hate your job as long as you do everything by the rules and the outcome is of high quality.

You are kidding- right? Hating a "job" and "high quality" outcome don't belong in the same sentence.
It sounds like there is a failure to differentiate "work" and "spending time with their family" unless, of course, you believe that the latter qualifies as a "job". Maybe in your world family time is a chore that needs to be done.

Last edited:
You are kidding- right? Hating a "job" and "high quality" outcome don't belong in the same sentence.

I have to disagree with you. I grew up on a farm and I didn't like some of the work I had to do. In fact, you can say I hated some of the work I did (hating the job), but I was taught to take pride in my work and thus did the best job I could (high quality).

Every person is different. As I understand the OP is irritated about performing procedures as a dentist, but likes some other aspect of the profession. Well, by thinking of those other aspects and how they benefit him/her, the OP will provide a high quality service although at the same time hating what he/she is doing.

Even if you hate every aspect of your job, you might do great only because you have principles that "a job must be done perfectly"

you're one of the few honest people on these forums. you're a pre-dent, and so is everyone else, and to be honest you won't really know what dentistry is until you're sitting in that operating chair with a handpiece and/or really learning about what dentistry entails in dental school. You're concerns are very legit and to be honest back at you, I wasn't the most enthusiastic about general dentistry when I was a pre-dent (seems like a sin to say it though if you're a pre-dent). I thought I knew all about dentistry especially since I was working full time in a pedo office, and also received my surgical assisting certification, xray, etc. However, I found a lot of things about the profession that really changed my view on the profession once I started just being in the sim clinic and learning more about it.

I'm not sure the type of person you are, but maybe you can just reason with yourself. At the very least, I assume you enjoy working with people and wanting to make them feel better, right? As mentioned in this thread there's the whole job security, can be your own boss, not high stress, etc. If you enjoy being creative or are a very mechanical person, you'll find dentistry really starts getting down to the millimeters in terms of accuracy (that could be challenging as well as motivating for some). Also, the beauty of general dentistry is that you have so many options in what you want to do. If you don't like endo because it bores you then don't offer those services in your practice. If specializing is on your mind, consider OMFS where you can see a plethora of new cases (as well as the mundane 3rd molar exts) With that said, you're not going to have something new everyday like a new episode of Family Guy every week...this is probably a good thing because you want to be good at what you do, and the only way you can do that is through repetition...and besides, it's not THAT repetitive.. if you think about it there's always a stigma with any profession...podiatrists work with feet all day, optometrists are "just" prescribing you glasses, pharmacists "just" put pills in a jar, allergists "just" sit in their office and calculate a dosage plan while their assistants do all the work, and dentist's "just" do fillings. I hope this helped a little, and wish the best for you! :thumbup:

am i the only one who is excited to look at teeth all day?? I'm not kidding, haha.

I have to disagree with you. I grew up on a farm and I didn't like some of the work I had to do. In fact, you can say I hated some of the work I did (hating the job), but I was taught to take pride in my work and thus did the best job I could (high quality).

One might suggest that growing up on a farm and having to do chores you didn't like is quite different from choosing a professional career.

One might suggest that growing up on a farm and having to do chores you didn't like is quite different from choosing a professional career.

Many people do jobs they don't like. They do this for many different reasons. For one person I know quite well, it's because he gets paid very well. He doesn't like it but it pays his bills, he's done it for long enough that he's very good at it (even though he doesn't like it very much), and their are no better alternatives - and he doesn't want to lose his job, so he does the best he can. So yes, it is possible to hate your profession and still be damn good at it.

Last edited:
Personally if you do not love it do not go in it. I say this because your passion shows not only to your teachers but to your patients and it is not fair for your patients. I used to have this dentist and you could tell he hated his job. It was written all over his face and even showed in his work (he had no pride in his job). He often did fast clean ups and shady work, just trying to get the day done. I thought this was so sad. Now this is different than having cold feet because all of us are scared to commit to a field in all honesty we known nothing about. If money is your number one reason there are other jobs that are more profitable than dentistry.

Trust me, you do not want to become THAT dentist. The one who hates working, but does it only for the money. I've heard soooooo many patients b*tch about this one dentist who cares only about the money, not the well being of the patient.

You don't necessarily have to enjoy dentistry to enjoy your life as a dentist. However, you must be able to find that balance within yourself to where you can tolerate it and at least be content with what you are doing. If you find the right staff and your decent at what you do, you should be fine. (Just make sure you TRUST your bookkeeper. So many dentists get embezzled!)

^Exactly what I was thinking. You can't choose how you grow up, whether you liked it or not. If you choose a career that you end up hating you have no one to blame butyourself, and that will create unhappiness.

I guess I misunderstood what was being said in previous posts. I thought a comment was that you couldn't do quality work if you hated your job and I disagreed.

to the OP, have you thought much about other careers? It sounds to me like your choice was btw medical and dental. Take the time now to think about other options. Were you 'excited' about medical? Talk to dentists. Be honest, (but don't get them to write letters for you!) get their advice. Don't do this. My dad was a dentist who loved really loved every minute of it, but I remember him telling me that no job is worth the money. You have to like what you do, because you'll never spend all the money anyways. Is there something really outside the med/dent choice that is what you really get excited about?
good luck

I don't wanna sound rude, but you sound like a typical dental school drop out. You might join DS for few years then realize that its just not for you, and then drop out. Your gonna be 100,000 dollars in debt and no real career to pay it off with. You might wanna think this through a bit, 100k is no joke. My old high school friend, got into detroit mercy back in 2001, and in his 2nd year, decided to drop out cause he said "this just isn't for me". I think the reality was (he never admits this) that WAYY too much work was throw at him, and the amount of material he had to study was just too much for a job that he never really had passion for.... He dropped out and was over 30k in debt. He is married now with 2 kids and owns his own party store, Im sure there isn't a day that goes by that he doesn't regret his decision (again he never admits it)

I mean, I think about dentistry all the time, and I actually don't have much negative thought about how "boring" the job will be. Sure looking at teeth might get dull every now and then, but EVERY job you will do will at some point, turn dull and repetative. The most enjoyable thing about dentistry is that its NOT all about health care, there is a huge bussiness side to it. If you don't enjoy working as a dentist as much, fine you can drop your hours to only 20-30 hours per week and spend the rest of your time managing your practice(s). You can own multiple practices and just manage them, many dentist who push 7-figure incomes own more than 1 pratice.

My sister (DDS) says it best, once you get a healthcare degree there is an endless amount of ways you can use it.

There are a lot of conflicting opinions on this thread because, in the end, we're all different types of people and no one can answer this question for you but yourself, OP. I'd just like to add my opinion: have you ever heard the saying, "find a job that you love and you will never work a day in your life?" Well that's like saying, "implement socialism and we'll have a utopian society." It's just too idealist and makes too many assumptions based on faulty knowledge. While I concede it's important not to absolutely HATE your job, I believe that if a career is all you look for in life, you'll be retired somewhere down the line realizing that you missed out on a lot more life has to offer. Many other aspects constitute happiness (and they differ for each individual) besides career choice and income.

I'd guess that I'm probably a lot like you. I was interested in science in high school and throughout undergrad, and discovered medicine before dentistry. Like yourself, I'm not too enthusiastic about choosing dentistry, in fact medicine might even interest me more. What I realized, however, is that people don't choose teeth when they choose dentistry. When people choose a career, they choose what fits them best (for me: owning my own business, working with my hands, getting to have contact with people all day, having the financial security) about the career, not necessarily the central topic of the job (in our case, teeth). While on the surface it may not seem that dentists do much other than fillings and other "boring" procedures that you mentioned, I'm sure there is a LOT of biological science behind these procedures. And that is why I know I won't absolutely hate dentistry. I might not LIVE for practicing dentistry, but then again very few people actually find that "perfect" career. I guess it helps that I love school/tests/learning too, but to each his own.

I think the reality was (he never admits this) that WAYY too much work was throw at him, and the amount of material he had to study was just too much for a job that he never really had passion for....
No offense, but here's my thoughts on this (and this is another highly debated topic on this forum): How can you ever truly have passion for a career until you're actually out of school and in private practice, actually WORKING in that career? I would question if it's a matter of your friend not having enough passion for dentistry or if he just didn't have what it took to handle the schooling (and this isn't a bad thing, not everyone has what it takes to get through med/dental school)?

How can you ever truly have passion for a career until you're actually out of school and in private practice, actually WORKING in that career?

I agree with this, however, as a student going or getting into DS, you should at least be passionate about that fact. You should be excited that your finally getting a huge obsticle out of the way toward your goals. when I read the OPs thread, it sounds to me that he isn't even passionate about being a pre-dental applicant. It sounds to me that he already has his/her mind set that this will be a very boaring career (he hasn't even started DS yet).

All I was trying to say is, you SHOULD be happy and very excited that your going into the dental profession. Now whether your going to love it or not after graduation is a completely different story.

...i agree with this, however, as a student going or getting into ds, you should at least be passionate about that fact. You should be excited that your finally getting a huge testicle out of the way toward your goals...

Hmmkay...

...WHAT?!!

am i the only one who is excited to look at teeth all day?? I'm not kidding, haha.

I am too!

And to the OP: It really angers me that there are people out there that have no desire to do dental procedures that are going to apply and may end up taking a spot from someone who is really excited about a career in dentistry. If you're dreading the "dull" procedures (which I don't find to be dull at all!) then don't do it! There's nothing wrong in taking a little extra time to figure out what you LIKE and WANT to do!

All I was trying to say is, you SHOULD be happy and very excited that your going into the dental profession. Now whether your going to love it or not after graduation is a completely different story.

Oh, well I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to say but I'm definitely in total agreement with that.
^To the above poster: Not trying to be a jerk, but honestly it annoys me when people make statements like that. If someone's really excited about a career in dentistry and it's what they've wanted to do since they were little, then perhaps THEY should've worked harder to guarantee themselves a spot in dental school. As far as I'm concerned somebody with 4.00 GPA, 44 MCAT, 28 DAT, can go into whatever the hell they want because they've worked their ass off to get those stats and they deserve to have that choice. Just because someone wants it more doesn't mean they deserve it more than anyone else.

Last edited:
oh, well i guess i misunderstood what you were trying to say but i'm definitely in total agreement with that.
^to the above poster: Not trying to be a jerk, but honestly it annoys me when people make statements like that. If someone's really excited about a career in dentistry and it's what they've wanted to do since they were little, then perhaps they should've worked harder to guarantee themselves a spot in dental school. As far as i'm concerned somebody with 4.00 gpa, 44 mcat, 28 dat, can go into whatever the hell they want because they've worked their ass off to get those stats and they deserve to have that choice. Just because someone wants it more doesn't mean they deserve it more than anyone else.

+10,000

I am too!

And to the OP: It really angers me that there are people out there that have no desire to do dental procedures that are going to apply and may end up taking a spot from someone who is really excited about a career in dentistry. If you're dreading the "dull" procedures (which I don't find to be dull at all!) then don't do it! There's nothing wrong in taking a little extra time to figure out what you LIKE and WANT to do!

Yawn.

And to all the pre dents "passionate" about dentistry, you haven't a clue, nor will you until you actually have your hands in someone's mouth. Ironically enough, most of the premeds/dents that start out "truly passionate" end up hating their jobs. You can't be passionate about something you've never done before.

I am too!

*yawn as well*

I'd rather have a competent dispassionate than an incompetent passionate person (for anything really, not just dentistry). It would be nice to have both qualities, but if I had to pick one, I'm going with competence.

What does it say about a person who's always known they wanted to be a dentist, had their whole academic life to prepare to apply to dental school and still comes out second under someone who hasn't? I don't know if I want that person to be my dentist... reality can be harsh.

Here is how I see it... dentistry is interesting to me and this is more then I can say about other careers.
There are aspects of dentistry that correlate with some of my values and ideas on healthcare, and many aspects of dentistry correlate with things that I want in a career and lifestyle.
But a big plus about dentistry is that it will allow me to pursue the other passions in my life.

*yawn as well*

I'd rather have a competent dispassionate than an incompetent passionate person (for anything really, not just dentistry). It would be nice to have both qualities, but if I had to pick one, I'm going with competence.

What does it say about a person who's always known they wanted to be a dentist, had their whole academic life to prepare to apply to dental school and still comes out second under someone who hasn't? I don't know if I want that person to be my dentist... reality can be harsh.

Who's saying that a passionate person isn't competent? There are plenty of things that could make them a less than qualified applicant including not knowing they wanted to pursue dentistry at first to having to work themselves through school and not having as much time as others to study. My experience through every job I've had is that the people who are the most dispassionate for their jobs are the least competent just because they just don't care. Granted there are people out there that may be passionate and incompetent, but there are plenty of people that are passionate AND competent, and those people are the ones that deserve those places. What I'm saying is this person should not take the place of one of those people.

And I find it interesting that you seem to think everyone has known they wanted to be a dentist their whole lives. That's awesome for those people who have known, but to be honest I've met few people that knew what they actually wanted to do before they went to college (and plenty of people change their minds before they went to college). I myself didn't know I wanted to go into dentistry until my second year of undergrad.

And to the person before this, I find it interesting that it's assumed that we all haven't "had our hands in people's mouths." I actually have had the chance to assist with dental procedures via volunteering with the hospital that dental students at my school do their rotations through and work in the sim lab with my undergrad pre-dental association, so yes I am passionate about dentistry and know this through hands on experience.

Who's saying that a passionate person isn't competent? There are plenty of things that could make them a less than qualified applicant including not knowing they wanted to pursue dentistry at first to having to work themselves through school and not having as much time as others to study. My experience through every job I've had is that the people who are the most dispassionate for their jobs are the least competent just because they just don't care. Granted there are people out there that may be passionate and incompetent, but there are plenty of people that are passionate AND competent, and those people are the ones that deserve those places. What I'm saying is this person should not take the place of one of those people.

And I find it interesting that you seem to think everyone has known they wanted to be a dentist their whole lives. That's awesome for those people who have known, but to be honest I've met few people that knew what they actually wanted to do before they went to college (and plenty of people change their minds before they went to college). I myself didn't know I wanted to go into dentistry until my second year of undergrad.

And to the person before this, I find it interesting that it's assumed that we all haven't "had our hands in people's mouths." I actually have had the chance to assist with dental procedures via volunteering with the hospital that dental students at my school do their rotations through and work in the sim lab with my undergrad pre-dental association, so yes I am passionate about dentistry and know this through hands on experience.

If you've been doing procedures as an unlicensed volunteer, that's illegal. So again, yawn.

Hmmm..if u ask me I think you should not go into dentistry.... if it doesnt get you excited imagine what it will be like when you'll b in the dental school...its long hours and hard work and if the field doesn't excite you i guarantee you that it will take a toll on you performance...then you woun't be able to even apply for specialty and will get stuck with general dentistry which from what you said will not make you happy...that is if you make it through dental school at all.... the worst thing would be to pay 70k for your first year and decide that its not for you... start soul searching don't just go by what's trendy today... pehaps PhD in whichever science??? PhD schools for chemistry are free, that is they pay for your tuition and in addition to that they give you stipend as much as ~50k a year.

Granted there are people out there that may be passionate and incompetent, but there are plenty of people that are passionate AND competent, and those people are the ones that deserve those places. What I'm saying is this person should not take the place of one of those people.

Of course. I never said anything otherwise. Passionate and competent would be the best. I'm saying if I could only pick one quality, I would pick competence over passion.

I think dental schools agree with me, since they look at stats first (one measure of competence, the only one they have before DS) and then the rest of your app second (where your "passion" can come through with your personal statement, volunteering/ECs, etc.).

Of course. I never said anything otherwise. Passionate and competent would be the best. I'm saying if I could only pick one quality, I would pick competence over passion.

I think dental schools agree with me, since they look at stats first (one measure of competence, the only one they have before DS) and then the rest of your app second (where your "passion" can come through with your personal statement, volunteering/ECs, etc.).

+1:thumbup:

OP, getting into dental school is very competitive. The truth is that there are a hundred other applicants equally as qualified as you (and some more so) who did not get in last year, this year, and may not next year either because of the sheer volume of applicants alone.

Not only do these people have the potential to be great dentists (like you do as well) but they are excited and interested in this field. If you are truly not interested in dentistry, or you are doing it just for the money, then you should consider that carefully before entering dental school.

Now, no one can know for certain whether they want to do this for the rest of their lives since we haven't actually practiced yet. Shadowing can only show you so much and lets face it, it is quite boring. But you can have a pretty good idea that this is something you want to do.

Do you want to?

-Run a business
-Be your own boss
-Work with your hands
-Perform surgery
-Interact with and help people

I personally think that seeing procedures up close when shadowing should have made you more excited about the field, but that's just me.

If there are procedures that you do not like, you don't have to do them. You can find something you like and limit your practice to that, or specialize in a certain area. You can teach, work in public health, or do research. There are alot of options.

If all that you have is cold feet at the prospect of diving into 4 years of school and $$$,$$$ in debt, then that's understandable. I am sure everyone goes through that at some point.

Many of us wanted to go into medicine originally and found dentistry after doing some homework. What you need to do is think back to what it was that made you choose dentistry to begin with.

If you are already unhappy with your choice, it will only get worse and you should probably do something else.

But if you are just a little nervous then don't worry. :)