I'm not sure about this whole PCAT thing........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devu228

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've known a few people and saw people on here who post really good scores (80-90 composite scores) from the recent PCAT. I notice that some of those people did real well in verbal and comprehension, but so-so in the math/science. How's pharmacy school going to look at that?

I happen to one of those people who did quite well in the math/science and not so hot in the verbal/comprehension but still mangaged to pull off a decent score. I feel for those people in the same boat.

My question is which applicant would the admissions officer pick? One who scored an 90 and got 99's in verbal/comprehension and 60-70's in math/science. or one who got 88's in math/science?

This is pharmacy school. The only parts of the PCAT that should really matter is the math/science. They should do something where they take the average of the math/science and then add that to the composite score. Then take the average. Just to be fair to those who aced the verbal parts of the test also. What you get from that should be the score THAT REALLY MATTERS. Anyone here agree with me?

DM

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that yes, math/science scores are especially important. However, reading/writing are equally just as important. Math and science just happen to be the area of focus in pharmacy school. However, in many professions, the ability to be able to interpret language and concisely communicate is very important. In pharmacy school, I am told that you will be writing and reading. A lot.

But, I do feel for you. My lowest was a 79% on the reading comprehension section, but I do understand the reason for the importance of this section.

devu228 said:
I've known a few people and saw people on here who post really good scores (80-90 composite scores) from the recent PCAT. I notice that some of those people did real well in verbal and comprehension, but so-so in the math/science. How's pharmacy school going to look at that?

I happen to one of those people who did quite well in the math/science and not so hot in the verbal/comprehension but still mangaged to pull off a decent score. I feel for those people in the same boat.

My question is which applicant would the admissions officer pick? One who scored an 90 and got 99's in verbal/comprehension and 60-70's in math/science. or one who got 88's in math/science?

This is pharmacy school. The only parts of the PCAT that should really matter is the math/science. They should do something where they take the average of the math/science and then add that to the composite score. Then take the average. Just to be fair to those who aced the verbal parts of the test also. What you get from that should be the score THAT REALLY MATTERS. Anyone here agree with me?

DM

I definitely agree with you. For students like me who has been living in America for 3 years, we can not do well in the english. they should consider the fact that english is not our first language. In fact we can excel in pharmacy because we speak more than one language.

devu228 said:

DM

There's no need for a modified score. That is the whole reason for the section scores. I'm sure pharmacy schools look at the individual section scores and weight their admissions toward math/science or reading/verbal according to their particular curriculum or whichever they deem important.

English is very important. If you can't read/comprehend the material being given to you, you can't use or learn it.

It sounds like you are a little upset that you didn't do well in those areas. You probably feel like your composite score doesn't actually reflect your knowledge. There is no need for a change of the whole scoring system :p I'm sure your entire record will reflect your knowledge. Honestly, it just sounds like you have a case of sour grapes.:rolleyes:

Before you say anything: I'm not saying this because I'm one of the high verbal/reading-low math/science scorers. I scored consistently in all areas. :oops:

The reading comprehension is somewhat relevant, more so than the verbal because the passages in the PCAT for the most part were technical or scientific passages. Understanding these types of passages, I would think, is relevant in evaluating applicants.