I'm only applying to one medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stayathomemom

Now with 100% more Stay At Home™!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How crazy do you think I am?
:corny:

(The only reason I'm posting this is because I need a break from MCAT studying. I'm sure some of the rest of you are in a similar boat.)

Members don't see this ad.

(The only reason I'm posting this is because I need a break from MCAT studying. I'm sure some of the rest of you are in a similar boat.)
I only applied for one Uni. Uni =/= Med school but honestly do you. If you only want to be a doctor if you are able to go to one school then have at it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean are you actually only applying to one school or are u trolling
I really am.

Edit: It's a true statement, and everyone here is so neurotic about being as perfect of a medical school applicant as possible. I just thought it would offer a good antithesis to all of that and make a good discussion about life choices.

ezgif-3-a24c77390235.gif

Reactions: 7 users
fine.

But no sympathy when you don't get in.

I don't want to see any tears if you don't get accepted.

Reactions: 10 users
I applied to 26 schools. 10 II and 1 A.

Granted, my interview skills weren’t great and I struggled with it... but... this is super risky. But, if you’re cool with either going to this school OR never being a doctor, by all means.

Reactions: 1 users

Granted, my interview skills weren’t great and I struggled with it... but... this is super risky. But, if you’re cool with either going to this school OR never being a doctor, by all means.
I'm not going to hang my happiness on whether or not I can be one specific medical professional.
That being said, a physician is the type of medical professional I want to be the most. And for my state school, I feel I have a fair shot. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a good idea if you're on the fence about medicine. If you really, truly want to be a doctor, however, it's a pretty bad idea.

You never know what could happen when they review your application. You could be a perfect fit. You could be really impressive. But you have no control over who reads your application and whether or not they'll just see something they don't like.

You're going through the trouble of studying for the MCAT. Applying to more schools isn't a lot of work - and it's really the wisest use of your time if you want to be a doctor. Don't hang your happiness on being a doctor, but if you want to be one - give it your best shot

This is a good idea if you're on the fence about medicine. If you really, truly want to be a doctor, however, it's a pretty bad idea.

You never know what could happen when they review your application. You could be a perfect fit. You could be really impressive. But you have no control over who reads your application and whether or not they'll just see something they don't like.

You're going through the trouble of studying for the MCAT. Applying to more schools isn't a lot of work - and it's really the wisest use of your time if you want to be a doctor. Don't hang your happiness on being a doctor, but if you want to be one - give it your best shot

Not everyone has the luxury to relocate and chances are always best at the state school(s) anyway.

Assuming you get in, wouldn't you likely have to move for residency anyways? Although, I guess it wouldn't matter if your children are going to be off to college or something by then.

I have the utmost respect for the decision you make but I'd consider having a chat with your family about any possibility of relocation if you really want to pursue medicine. Even 1 or 2 extra schools will significantly increase your chances. But if you are okay with the possibility of not getting in and would rather stay in your roots that's a completely fine decision. I'm rooting for you but if you happen to get a rejection (knock on wood) it might sting a little more than you expect.

Reactions: 6 users
True, but I stand by what I said. Also, depends on the state.
Exactly. My state school has 240 seats, but 90 of those are reserved for students from the surrounding states. That means even in state the acceptance rate is <20%

Assuming you get in, wouldn't you likely have to move for residency anyways? Although, I guess it wouldn't matter if your children are going to be off to college or something by then.
Yep, that's the compromise: stay for med school, perhaps move for residency. Planning to go into primary care so there is a fair chance I can stay here.

I have the utmost respect for the decision you make but I'd consider having a chat with your family about any possibility of relocation if you really want to pursue medicine. Even 1 or 2 extra schools will significantly increase your chances. But if you are okay with the possibility of not getting in and would rather stay in your roots that's a completely fine decision. I'm rooting for you but if you happen to get a rejection (knock on wood) it might sting a little more than you expect.
I'm ok with that possibility. :) It's hard to move a whole support network.

:zip:

Exactly my thoughts. This will likely not be a safe option for residency

If she goes in to Family Medicine or Internal Medicine, her area will likely have plentiful spots available.
Well I don't know how rural her location is and therefore how many programs are around but even for uncompetitive specialties people still like to go on 8 or 10 interviews. And IM as a whole is not competitive but programs are tiered so one applicant may not be competitive for all the programs within the 30 mile radius of where they will live.

Become an applicant your state school can’t possibly say no to and it isn’t a bad decision... You have a family already set up. For most on this path residency will be their first job and the alternative to not getting into med school is literally finding any job and trying to enter a totally different career. They can’t afford betting like this. You can. Obviously, having a family and trying to become a physician comes with it’s own set of arguably far more challenging problems that no one on this site has to explain to you.

I’d lead with that though before just trying to trigger all of PreAllo at once ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Y'all are so sweet.

I'm in a city of >2 million so there are a fair number of residency spots. Plus we're ok with relocating at that point.

Can I just say LOL yall civilians are so nice and sensitive to yall's families. I grew up one of five kids in an Army family and we moved every year or two. It's actually and literally impossible for me to imagine my dad taking our feelings about this into consideration :laugh:

More power to you OP. Hope you get in. You're obviously not seeking feedback since you've already made up your mind. It sort of seems like you're trying to ignite an SDN dumpster fire? I SUPPORT IT.

Reactions: 3 users
Can I just say LOL yall civilians are so nice and sensitive to yall's families. I grew up one of five kids in an Army family and we moved every year or two. It's actually and literally impossible for me to imagine my dad taking our feelings about this into consideration :laugh:

More power to you OP. Hope you get in. You're obviously not seeking feedback since you've already made up your mind. It sort of seems like you're trying to ignite an SDN dumpster fire? I SUPPORT IT.
:rofl:
With all due respect to the mods who have to monitor crap like this...sometimes yall need to be entertained. :banana: I gladly volunteered as tribute.
Life's short and nobody gets out alive!

Y'all are so sweet.

I'm in a city of >2 million so there are a fair number of residency spots. Plus we're ok with relocating at that point.

What is your plan if you don't end up getting accepted?

I

I only applied to one school my first go-around. There were a number of reasons. Ultimately I just really wanted to go to that one school and figured it was worth trying again the following year (and adding more schools) if it didn't work out the first time around. While I didn't get an interview the first year, I did the second time (at which time I also applied to my in-state schools--all UC's, but that's another story why I didn't finish secondaries for other programs), and they were quite impressed by my dedication. I got a direct acceptance a week later at a time they were interviewing almost entirely for the wait-list.

In hindsight it was rather stupid--at the time I had no family argument like you do, and there were other schools that I could've been just as happy at and trained to become a perfectly ok doctor at as well.

However, as someone with a spouse and family, I understand how important they are. More important than becoming a doctor. It's interesting how once we have kids of your own we realize our career aspirations aren't the most important thing in the world, like they used to be when we were younger/in college. All of a sudden other people's happiness and well-being matter more than our own. And we try to make it all work when you can (like applying to your one in-state school...).

I wish you the best of luck.

I

I only applied to one school my first go-around. There were a number of reasons. Ultimately I just really wanted to go to that one school and figured it was worth trying again the following year (and adding more schools) if it didn't work out the first time around. While I didn't get an interview the first year, I did the second time (at which time I also applied to my in-state schools--all UC's, but that's another story why I didn't finish secondaries for other programs), and they were quite impressed by my dedication. I got a direct acceptance a week later at a time they were interviewing almost entirely for the wait-list.

In hindsight it was rather stupid--at the time I had no family argument like you do, and there were other schools that I could've been just as happy at and trained to become a perfectly ok doctor at as well.

However, as someone with a spouse and family, I understand how important they are. More important than becoming a doctor. It's interesting how once we have kids of your own we realize our career aspirations aren't the most important thing in the world, like they used to be when we were younger/in college. All of a sudden other people's happiness and well-being matter more than our own. And we try to make it all work when you can (like applying to your one in-state school...).

I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you. It's so true. They are the best thing that happened to me in so many ways, one of which was the new life perspective. I'm glad everything worked out for you!

What is your plan if you don't end up getting accepted?
I'll try for a few years. In the meantime I'll still be doing what I do now, which is treating community volunteering as a part-time job. There are a few volunteering opportunities that may be coming available that I have my eye on, one of which is to start a science club for middle school students.
If I am ultimately not accepted after a few years...I'm not completely sure, but only because I have a lot of options. I might seek work in social work, advocacy, something that helps children who are disadvantaged. Maybe I'll become a lactation consultant. I've thought about going into research but I'm not sure right now. I like more hands-on, public-facing things. The nice thing is we are comfortable financially and my spouse is not pressuring me to find a paid position. I have freedom.

people do early decision all the time, it’s not unheard of

Was your 1 A your state school?

I'm assuming half the people here haven't read OPs name...? Things are different when kids are involved. If you're not the breadwinner then relocating for med school with kids is not the always the best option.

It makes sense that some applicants with families only apply to one school.

Reactions: 3 users
I did this. The school I chose was not my in state school, but it was a perfect fit for me and I was a fit for their mission. I am moving my whole family 1,000 miles as a result, but we are all thrilled about it.

Good luck OP, I hope you get what you want and you and your family are happy!

You sound logical and focused - that is good. But if I am correct, there is one logical drawback based on SDN wisdom. SDN overall says that your first application cycle is your best bet. I am fully aware that many, many reapplicants achieve admission too. But overall, SDN wisdom says reapplicants are viewed slightly different than first-time applicants. And if you only apply to 1 medical school, you are forever branded as a reapplicant to all medical schools for the rest of your life. It does not seem fair to me, I think that a reapplicant should be on a school by school basis - but I don't make the rules. So if you go in half-hearted (though for very good reasons) it may affect the strength of your application for future cycles.

All I know is that SDN wisdom says nothing beats a good strong first application cycle, which always includes applying to many schools. Only applying to one school, if it does not work out, may have this drawback. I don't think the effect of a new applicant, versus a reapplicant, is very great, but SDN wisdom says it does exist if only very slight.

Also applying to one school removes any financial aid leverage you can get. Be prepared to take tons of loans. Good luck

I'm assuming half the people here haven't read OPs name...? Things are different when kids are involved. If you're not the breadwinner then relocating for med school with kids is not the always the best option.

It makes sense that some applicants with families only apply to one school.

Yeah maybe it’s because I’m military and used to it, but while it is more complicated, it really isn’t that much more difficult. Unless the only school OP gets into is in a super rural location with very little around and great difficulty in family visiting, moving with family is not impossible. I’ve moved with my wife and kids 7 times in 7 years thanks to the Navy. I’ve also lived with them in super remote locations without support, so I also know how much that sucks. But I’m currently living 3.5 hours from the closest family, and it’s not a big deal. That’s close enough for them to come if we really need them to, and building a support network of friends and other parents is not difficult.

Unless OP lives in Hawaii or Alaska, going to school in a bordering state would not be unreasonable after the first couple months. If spouse is military or there are special needs involved for one of the kids, that would make it a lot more difficult.