I'm pretty dumb - Advice greatly appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awesome-

If you're looking for unconditional love, call your Great-Aunt Maude. Come to SDN if you would like frank advice.

Are you surprised people are judging you by this action? Earlier this year one of the best neurosurgeons at my school was killed by a drunk driver, heading home late after saving some guy's life during an emergency operation. I bet the driver is still alive, free to ruin another family's life when he commits this act again in a few years. I know that's not you, and I'm not trying to compare your situation. But you committed an act with very real emotional consequences for many people. Get used to being judged. You may be "bigger than that", but you weren't big enough to drive home sober that night, or ask for a friggin' ride.
 
The majority of those who reported alcohol-related DUI in the 12 months prior to a national survey are *not* alcohol dependent or alcohol abusers.


Oncocap (is that right? hahahah) is absolutely correct. Sadly and stupidly enough, I got a DUI 7 years ago when I was a VERY dumb kid. It was when I was 18 and now I'm 25. I haven't gotten even a single speeding ticket since that day. I made a bad decision. But anyway, when I was in the class you have to take, they stressed the point that alcoholics are not the ones getting DUIs! It was the inexperienced drinkers. I guess alkies are way more adept at drunk driving than the rest of the population.
 
Oncocap (is that right? hahahah) is absolutely correct. Sadly and stupidly enough, I got a DUI 7 years ago when I was a VERY dumb kid. It was when I was 18 and now I'm 25. I haven't gotten even a single speeding ticket since that day. I made a bad decision. But anyway, when I was in the class you have to take, they stressed the point that alcoholics are not the ones getting DUIs! It was the inexperienced drinkers. I guess alkies are way more adept at drunk driving than the rest of the population.

Would you mind telling us how your DUI impacted the medical school admissions process? Any long-term impact from the DUI (trouble doing rotations at VA, the match if you've gotten that far, etc)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NB: I am not Rebecca Smith-Coggins.


Hello!

I would like to take a moment to inform you of something that can have dire consequences to your careers. You have known for years not to drink and drive, but many students and residents are not aware of the fact that this may delay or prevent a person from getting a medical license. As it is now, California will not grant a medical license to anyone if they have had a DUI conviction in the past two years. Once they have had two DUI convictions, the state requires inpatient detoxification treatment and then the passage of two years. As residents are not allowed to practice medicine beyond the PGY 1 year without a license, their careers are put on hold and the whole ordeal is very painful.

For the safety of yourselves, others and your careers, please make a personal vow to either not drink, surrender your car keys or take a cab this holiday season and for the rest of your lives. You have come too far and are too special to have to pay such an exorbitant price for one bad decision.

Best.

rsc

Rebecca Smith-Coggins, M.D.
Associate Professor
Surgery/Emergency Medicine

Medical Student Life Advisor
Dean's Office, Stanford University School of Medicine
 
Awesome,

I meant what I said. Please let us know how things turn out for you. No matter any of our positions on this issue, it will be instructive to see how things go.
 
One of my classmates was convicted of a DUI while in our second year of med school, and he was not expelled. Not exactly the same as your situation since you technically haven't started yet, but may give you some peace of mind.

Also, I know firsthand of several residents and attendings who have been arrested for offenses ranging from DUI, drunk & disorderly, all the way up to assault and solicitation. All of them are still employed with the exception of one (and he went to jail, so....obviously couldn't continue with his residency) I don't know details of any probation/disciplinary actions taken against them by the hospital, university or state medical board and I am sure they happened, but their actions did not end their career.

We had a lawyer come talk to my medical school class about protecting ourselves throughout our career, and the one thing he stressed vehemently was that if you have ANY convictions, DUIs, etc, disclose them to everyone down the road. In line with a previous post, many states will deny you a medical licence if you have a legal "blip" that you do not disclose and is discovered on background check, but will give a license to the same applicant as long as it was disclosed. You may have to write an explaination about it every time you apply for a new license, hospital priviledges, etc. On the ERAS (residency) application, they ask if you were convicted of a felony (and if so, explain) so I am not sure if this applies to you (I don't know if a DUI is a felony?). Whether or not the residency program you end up in does a criminal background check on you is pretty much up to the program, and who the heck knows what the VAs will be doing by then.

The bottom line is that you are not the first med student or physician to end up in this situation. Just think that anyone (residency, fellowship, hospital, state board) who may care about this should hear that this happened from you, not read it in a background check--that way they have less reason to question your openess, honesty, integrity, etc. Will this stupid mistake follow you during your career? Yes. Will it end it? No.

Don't get caught again, though!!!
 
Thank you very much for your insight, it was calming... to a certain extent. Thankfully, a DUI is a misdemeanor, but nonetheless it carries a big stigma with it =(. Thanks again.
 
I would appreciate anyone's advice on what they think would be the best course of action for me to take.

I was charged with a DUI not too long ago and I know this wont be enough, but I realize what I did was stupid and immature and could potentially ruin my whole life. Though it is no consolation, I did not hit anyone nor anything, I was just pulled over because I made a wrong turn on a confusing intersection into a one way lane going the opposite direction (There were no cars on the road and I immediately turned off - but just some background).

Okay... so neway, it seems like I am going to be convicted of it. I did not take the Breathalyzer so I am going to be charged with a DUI and a refusal.

This also happened on the day I found out I got into medical school.... I am not a student yet I start this August and am wondering if anyone knows anyone that has gone through something similar to my situation would know what the best course of action to take was? Thank you anyone for your input in advance I greatly appreciate it, and if you would like to bash me and yell at me go ahead, i know i deserve it...


🙄 😍 😱


Okay, first. Let's put things into perspective. Is this your first DUI? You don't mention any others so I will assume it is indeed your first. Well, so far, you've got our nation's President beat. Second, before I decided to go back, re-do my pre-requisites, and go to med school, I completed a year and a half of law school. I also have my own "skeletons in my closet" (although I'm not ashamed of them so they dance freely about my life...🙂 ) In applying to law school, I had to submit everything I had ever done wrong, which at the time, I thought was a nightmare, because I had been an uninhibited kid with a genius IQ and a very exuberant case of ADD. I had been approached by law enforcement for singing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" on my (and my roommate's) roof until Public Safety--albeit laughing--told me I had to cut it out--at two in the morning. Got a permanent record for that. Then, one January night, some friends of mine and I were partaking of some...uh...substances, and I, dressed in one high-heeled sling-back open-toed silver sandal, one pastel blue and white striped Adidas running sneaker, a pair of blue sweatpants, an $800 green velvet evening gown, a V-neck sweater worn backwards, and a Gap baseball cap, somehow determined I was going on a mission (at 2am in the January snow). Somehow managing to walk three miles in the snow up to Motel 6 from where I lived on Sewall St (this was a two-to-four mile walk when it wasn't snowing huge mounds; I still don't know why I wasn't arrested for just wearing that absurd get-up); anyway, I made it the two miles to Motel 6. I went in, dressed like a lunatic, and informed the cashier she must donate all the cash in the register drawer to the welfare of the Cambodian government, or we would all my shot by the Cambodian sharpshooters surrounding us outside. No doubt the cashier had decided I was completely nuts, so she handed me $200 from the motel desk drawer. I apparently told her no; that she must secure it in a stamped, addressed envelope, and address the envelope "Care of Cambodia--Financial Assistance." I made her put it in the outside mailbox. Later, the police found me, and wrote that I was "happy to see them," and that I was in great spirits and was just getting some candy out of the motel next door's vending machine. When questioned, apparently I was just very enthusiastic about helping Cambodia. THEN...the next morning I was all over the news, as a "person who overtook" a hotel with the possibility of using a deadly weapon (I had a plastic paint applyer with me). Because of my cheerfulness and my lack of criminal history, the charges were dropped from Class A Robbery to misdemeanor Criminal Threatening, which ultimately got expunged. However, I will never live that down, and had to detail it on every application I submitted. However, I also got accepted at every school I applied to. People unafraid to let their past--or present--"flaws" shine through are real people--they attract friends easily with their ability to be real; be themselves. I'm convinced you'll be one before you even realized it happened.

On a more serious note regarding going to school after criminal conduct; I went to undergrad with a guy who'd spent ten years in prison for murder--no kidding. He spoke with the Law Professor Emeritus, Mr. Eugene Whitney, who encouraged the guy to apply to law school. The former felon did apply, and he used his experience to sway the admissions board in asking: who other than an ex-convict could better relate to inmates caught in the slowly groaning wheels of the justice system? His perseverence paid off, and he not only was accepted to the law school of his choice; he also stood before the State of Maine Bar Association's formal hearing on his conduct--and passed with flying colors, enabling him to go on to pass the state Bar Exam. He has been a successful practicing lawyer for years now.

All that said, I don't think your sole run-in with the law is going to stand in your way in any considerable manner. Sure, you may have to address it, but it's not something that will slam some concrete door in your face. The above examples are scenarios that could have ended quite badly. Yours isn't. You wouldn't believe what admissions advisors actually have to read through (and get some serious laughs over). I say, with 100% certainty, there is NOTHING you've done that is anywhere near the "worst."

You'll make it! And sooner, rather than later, you will be wondering why you had worried so much.

Good luck!
Oh; I must point out...
Quite the contrary--you have now proven you have quite a personality! What school doesn't look for that!?
 
ellieamee: I tend to agree with your implication that Awesome will make it in after running the gauntlet on this (that's my wild guess on this case anyway). One thing that wasn't clear is ... are you in medical school? Did they ask you about any of these issues in your med school interview process? I'm just curious because the interviewers I had seemed to be rather anal about anything that was even remotely non-typical ... I can't imagine having to talk to people like them on an adcom about a recent DUI. The fact that Awesome's DUI is recent is an aggravating factor working against him in his quest to make it in.
 
In my state, refusing to blow is legaly worse than DUI, and generally impossible to for a lawyer to defend. Lawyers are generally a waste of money with DUIs unless you actually have a legitamate case, have tons of disposable income, or possibly need to buy the time as was mentioned earlier with the continuance. DUIs are very cut and dry cases.

What can you do at this point? Never drive drunk again. There's probably not much else you can do. I don't see the point of rehab if you're not an alcoholic. Ignore the haters, and there will be plenty. Realize that people make mistakes, you deserve a second chance, you didn't hurt anyone, and you are not a dirtbag. If you do it again, it is entirely different.

I don't know what to tell you about you're academic career, the timing is the worst part of it. Good luck.
 
In my state, refusing to blow is legaly worse than DUI, and generally impossible to for a lawyer to defend. Lawyers are generally a waste of money with DUIs unless you actually have a legitamate case, have tons of disposable income, or possibly need to buy the time as was mentioned earlier with the continuance. DUIs are very cut and dry cases.

Interesting, this must vary widely by state. Of the three states I have lived in the last couple years, all had very visible advertisements for attorneys seeking DUI cases. In fact, one ad I used to see all over the place in Louisiana used to say, "If you are pulled over on suspicion of DUI, do not submit to a field sobriety test, do not submit to a breathalyzer, and call me immediately!"

The issue in my states was that, absent some objective evidence of intoxication, there is simply no basis to charge a person with the crime of DUI. And while there is contractual obligation to submit to sobriety tests (on your Driver's License application), my understanding is that failure to do so does not constitute a crime here. You do automatically lose your license for one year, it goes on your driving record, and you have an arrest record. But since there is no "conviction", you do not have a criminal record.
 
I'm going to have to agree with Tired that it probably depends a lot on your state and the details of your individual situation. I know a couple people who have had DUI's with very different outcomes depending on their representation. I don't see how consulting with a lawyer could hurt you, other than costing you money, and if they can get the charge off your record or bargained down significantly it could help a lot. It seems worth the money to not have to wonder what would have happened if you'd had a good lawyer. Anyway it sounds like you already have an attorney so the point is moot.
 
My father is a trial lawyer who does this kind of work. In my state, the statutes specifically forbid a DUII from ever being expunged from your record. Ever! Apparently this is because additional DUIIs carry even greater penalties, so all of the prior DUIIs still have to be on your record to count for enhanced penalties. So you can never get rid of a DUII record in my state, and my father thinks that is the case in most states now as the DUII laws have been toughened by legislation around the country. Check with your own lawyer about expungement laws in your own state. Good luck. You are paying a heavy price.
 
Thank you to everyone for your input. Just to address some questions: Yes, it is my first DUI and I have nothing else on my record, not even a speeding ticket. I got the DUI after I was accepted to medical school, so luckily I didn't have to apply with it as I'm sure it would have affected my chanes of getting in.

Happy New Year everyone. My court date is in a few days i'll keep you guys updated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bump - court very soon.

I hope you have school or a job or a hobby to keep your mind off things!

Did you lawyers give you any hints as to how to deal with the medical school admissions (I realize that the court decision is a factor)?
 
The let me be the first (of what will undoubtedly be many) to tell you to stick with what you know. Medicine's clearly not for you. By using an individual's tragic circumstances as an opportunity to beat someone over the head with obvious, long-winded speeches. And the fact that you have a PhD and have been a 'business owner' still gives you zero credibility to offer advice on a career in medine.

Of course, that's assuming I even believe you, because I swear you sound a lot like the 22yo kids I've interviewed for med school . . .

Still waiting for that play about lying. Let me know how it goes.

...really two seasoned professionals, why are you arguing w/ each other like those so far behind or beneath you (i.e., those "22 yr olds" "interview(ed) for med school")? C'mon, if you've got the experience you say you do, or you are a senior member, set some sort of decent example. Right now, it's really silly. By the way, I think the phrase is "bumbling idiot." However; likewise, one must feel pretty self-assured to feel experienced to the extent they advise someone else not to pursue medicine. Be careful. Albert Einstein was once called his era's equivalent of "learning disabled;" good thing he didn't listen. With your stated achievement(s), encourage those of us following after! Don't nitpick fight with each other, on an online forum no less! Good grief, you guys.

Best,
E.A.
 
...really two seasoned professionals, why are you arguing w/ each other like those so far behind or beneath you (i.e., those "22 yr olds" "interview(ed) for med school")? C'mon, if you've got the experience you say you do, or you are a senior member, set some sort of decent example. Right now, it's really silly. By the way, I think the phrase is "bumbling idiot." However; likewise, one must feel pretty self-assured to feel experienced to the extent they advise someone else not to pursue medicine. Be careful. Albert Einstein was once called his era's equivalent of "learning disabled;" good thing he didn't listen. With your stated achievement(s), encourage those of us following after! Don't nitpick fight with each other, on an online forum no less! Good grief, you guys.

Best,
E.A.

By now you should realize that many of us utilize this forum in order to speak our minds in ways we cannot or would not in the real world, often dramatically and with great exageration. Heated discussions can be cathartic and enjoyable, and in an online forum, run very little risk of truly insulting or injuring another person. In my actual life, I would never say many of the things I have said on SDN, although I may occassionally think them. OncoCaP would never be deterred from a career in medicine by something that I (a total stranger) said to him in this forum. It should be clear from reading both of our posts that we are reasonably intelligent and confident individuals who use this forum for enjoyment and informational purposes only.

That being said, let me address two other issues from your post:

1) Yes, I do feel pretty self-assured. Those who pursue medicine should have a reasonable degree of confidence.

2) I have no interest in encouraging you, or anyone else, to pursue a career in medicine. Many individuals have no business pursuing it, although there seem to be an inordinate number who continually try, despite almost certain failure. If you have the desire and the academic credentials to go after medicine, you can have it. If not, you will fail, and all the better for the rest of the world. I do not want to see people with sub-par intelligence become physicians, because I do not want them to care for me or my family. And anyone who requires my "encouragement" to become a physician has no business applying to med school in the first place.

Thank you for your poor attempt to take me to task. May you fail in all your endeavors.
 
...really two seasoned professionals, why are you arguing w/ each other like those so far behind or beneath you (i.e., those "22 yr olds" "interview(ed) for med school")? C'mon, if you've got the experience you say you do, or you are a senior member, set some sort of decent example. Right now, it's really silly. By the way, I think the phrase is "bumbling idiot." However; likewise, one must feel pretty self-assured to feel experienced to the extent they advise someone else not to pursue medicine. Be careful. Albert Einstein was once called his era's equivalent of "learning disabled;" good thing he didn't listen. With your stated achievement(s), encourage those of us following after! Don't nitpick fight with each other, on an online forum no less! Good grief, you guys.

Best,
E.A.

Hi E.A.,

Sorry the argument rubbed you the wrong way. The bizzare combination of serious advice and off-the-wall chatter on some of the threads catches me off guard sometimes as well. You get used to it and realize that this forum is a combination of a place to kick back and get advice when you need it ... sometimes you even get kicked in the tail ... it's all part of the deal.

Like Tired said, this forum is rather informal and you don't post here without taking a few challenging "comments" every now and then. There are no hard feelings between Tired and me. I don't feel discouraged about going into medicine. Tired has posted a lot of useful information as well; you take the wise-cracks and "smack-downs" with the helpful information. If you had a question about what doing an ortho residency at TMC is like or whatever, I'm sure he would help you out. Even in real life, It actually took me a little getting used to the "potty" mouth of certain medical directors I have encountered in my volunteering (and this is after doing some time at construction sites a while back -- it's not like I haven't been around), so it's not like everything is serious and professional on the job either.
 
Awesome,

I meant what I said. Please let us know how things turn out for you. No matter any of our positions on this issue, it will be instructive to see how things go.

I agree wholeheartedly; let these sentiments also reflect mine.

E.A.
 
Hi E.A.,

Sorry the argument rubbed you the wrong way. The bizzare combination of serious advice and off-the-wall chatter on some of the threads catches me off guard sometimes as well. You get used to it and realize that this forum is a combination of a place to kick back and get advice when you need it ... sometimes you even get kicked in the tail ... it's all part of the deal.

Like Tired said, this forum is rather informal and you don't post here without taking a few challenging "comments" every now and then. There are no hard feelings between Tired and me. I don't feel discouraged about going into medicine. Tired has posted a lot of useful information as well; you take the wise-cracks and "smack-downs" with the helpful information. If you had a question about what doing an ortho residency at TMC is like or whatever, I'm sure he would help you out. Even in real life, It actually took me a little getting used to the "potty" mouth of certain medical directors I have encountered in my volunteering, so it's not like everything is serious and professional on the job either.

...I didn't mean to sound angry at all, if that's how I came across. Yes, that was my point--you both have contributed commentary that has been helpful (at least w/ regard to me 🙂 ). That's why I thought the arguing was so unnecessary. However, I didn't mean to sound like some sort of hall-monitor...sorry. Actually, I just answered a previous question you had asked me in a separate message; check your folder... 🙂

...so you didn't "rub me the wrong way." Thanks for the response.

E.A.
 
...I didn't mean to sound angry at all, if that's how I came across. Yes, that was my point--you both have contributed commentary that has been helpful (at least w/ regard to me 🙂 ). That's why I thought the arguing was so unnecessary. However, I didn't mean to sound like some sort of hall-monitor...sorry. Actually, I just answered a previous question you had asked me in a separate message; check your folder... 🙂

...so you didn't "rub me the wrong way." Thanks for the response.

E.A.

Great! Happy posting....😀
 
if i'm not mistaken

i don't think you can fight it if you refuse a breath test.

but what you can do is go with your family to the DA's office & explain your situation, be apologetic & ask for advice.

let him know that you panicked & was not sure of the implications of refusing a breathlyzer ..

there are programs out there that will expunge your record ( cause its the record that will hold you back from med school )

provided you go to court, pay fines, get a liscence suspension, & take a few drunk driving rehabiliation classes.


research into that.

but before you do anything........consult an attorney!



best of luck

( btw as a side note - nobody should refuse the test no matter how drunk you are )

I agree w/ the part about working w/ the DA--taking responsibility goes a long way, I kid you not.

You will and are facing consequences: take responsibility, face those consequences, then never do it again...but don't assume what you've done at this point in the game has to call the game over.

Assuming you have taken the seriousness of your offense and all that it did, does--and certainly could have--carr(ied) with it, and that your respect toward that seriousness prevents you from any further said scenario, I think (and I really do emphasize my comments are, truly, only an opinion) you then have appropriately rectified what you've done to the best of your ability (this includes withstanding all the subsequent consequences, "med school-wise" and legally and all that entertwined, and some of them may indeed prove heavy or inhibiting with regard to your life and med school career), and there is nothing achieved in you walking around overcome with guilt, offering people the opportunity to "yell at (you)" and calling yourself "dumb" for the rest of your life.

Change whatever about you caused this to happen, and become a better doctor knowing that you took a mistake in life and used it to improve yourself. Just be sure that's what you do do with it (if you thought some opinions have been harsh now, they will be far less encouraging if there's a "second time around" 😉 ).

Best,

E.A.
 
By now you should realize that many of us utilize this forum in order to speak our minds in ways we cannot or would not in the real world, often dramatically and with great exageration. Heated discussions can be cathartic and enjoyable, and in an online forum, run very little risk of truly insulting or injuring another person. In my actual life, I would never say many of the things I have said on SDN, although I may occassionally think them. OncoCaP would never be deterred from a career in medicine by something that I (a total stranger) said to him in this forum. It should be clear from reading both of our posts that we are reasonably intelligent and confident individuals who use this forum for enjoyment and informational purposes only.

That being said, let me address two other issues from your post:

1) Yes, I do feel pretty self-assured. Those who pursue medicine should have a reasonable degree of confidence.

2) I have no interest in encouraging you, or anyone else, to pursue a career in medicine. Many individuals have no business pursuing it, although there seem to be an inordinate number who continually try, despite almost certain failure. If you have the desire and the academic credentials to go after medicine, you can have it. If not, you will fail, and all the better for the rest of the world. I do not want to see people with sub-par intelligence become physicians, because I do not want them to care for me or my family. And anyone who requires my "encouragement" to become a physician has no business applying to med school in the first place.

Thank you for your poor attempt to take me to task. May you fail in all your endeavors.

Tired! 🙂 You misunderstand me! I did not want to "take you to task!" Actually, I did apologize anyway, earlier, for the part of my post that sounded like I was some sort of hall-monitor--it did come across that way, at least it did in my opinion when I went back and reread it, so I apologize for that.

Now: in spite of your admonishing me to fail in all that I endeavor, you cannot make an enemy out of me or even someone who dislikes you b/c I have been throughout this Forum and when you're actually making an educated point and not just getting mad at someone, you're not only really helpful, your wit is actually quite funny. Someone mentioned in a previous post you might have made a great lawyer--now, there I can comment without feeling so ignorant because I went to law school, have experience there, and most of my family members either practice law or are in the legal field in some way. Therefore my opinion in that regard is that if you could manage to get over taking people disagreeing w/ you personally, the combination of intelligence and humor and sometimes sarcasm you have frequently used to get your points across throughout this forum have made me actually laugh out loud; some were that clever. So why so grouchy?

Now, to address issues from your post:

Certainly you are correct. I did not mean to take away from you the purpose of this forum which is to express what you think. I was wrong in how I conveyed what I was trying to say. I didn't mean: "don't disagree." I didn't mean "don't be mean to him." What I did mean was that before ever even posting, you two were the people posting who, for quite awhile, had provided the most education for me in answers I was looking for, and it seemed (to not only me) that the disagreeing was starting to get, in places, pointlessly nasty instead, and I couldn't figure out why two obviously very intelligent people were wasting time on trivial personal "spatting" that is clearly beneath them when I have seen them write so intelligently, even when just casually, all over the place. I feel like the "pre-med (although I actually have made it to med school) w/ the Cheetos," and I think, "Oh god, when I finally do have some medical experience to back my basic intelligence up, this is what's going to happen!?" All I want is to finally be as confident in my medical knowledge as you have conveyed, and, if by some miracle in five seconds I suddenly was, I wouldn't even bother writing nasty sublines to people I clearly thought were idiots (like, you clearly thought I am. So why even waste time writing me back?) or who clearly had no point other than to argue--meaninglessly. I am not referring to normal debate. OF COURSE there are intelligent arguments. I just, after having read a lot from both of you (one of you separately now), it was just my opinion (which your own argument has justified me) that you had a lot better to do than catfight.

On your second point, I agree too. I'm not sure who you're referring to, but you are correct, what a sad physician I would be if your hope I fail in all my endeavors made me cry, log off, and withdraw from school first thing in the morning. Certainly you would have saved the world from a very unstable doctor. As far as there being those in existence who, for god's sake, should do everyone a life-saving favor and stop trying to be a doctor, well yep, I don't think anyone disagrees there either. I simply don't feel I have the experience, expertise, or background to be deciding who exactly those people are unless I am currently suing them for malpractice because they cut off the wrong leg--I personally have nothing that would qualify me to make a judgment of that magnitude about the outcome of someone's entire life. Not now. I am glad that you are self-assured; perhaps someday I will be in a position to make the decisions that you do, perhaps not. I certainly am not right now. Which is why I would still say the "be careful." Not everything is either: completely about you; or, designed to personally cut you down if it contradicts a belief or judgment you have made.

I also was "talking" privately w/ a member you've argued with (not that that narrows it down) and this member too actually only "spoke" about how intelligent you actually were, etc. etc. SO: You don't have to defend who you are so much. You really don't have to be so defensive at all. Let the intelligence you do legitimately have speak for itself...if you are indeed so self-assured, why explain yourself to "expected-failures-in-all-they-do?" You don't need to. I am only partially being sarcastic; I really do think you make your points much more efficiently when all the name-calling and being pissed-off isn't involved. And if you're going to call someone stupid, spell it right when you do it! 😎

Okay, get mad again at me if you want, but I think your honest-to-god talents would be truly better spent in endeavors other than wishing me failure. I do apologize, seriously, again for the areas in which I misrepresented my meaning.

Best,
E.A.
 
Look, I have a habit of being a d*ck on here, and I know it. Part of it is a form of stress relief, but the other half of it is genuine frustration at what I perceive to be the frequent dishonesty and frank lunacy of so many of the posters (no, I am not talking about OncoCaP, who I actually enjoy reading posts from).

I do appoligize for coming off rude towards you. Often times I go back and re-read my posts, only to realize that I sounded far more angry and insulting than I originally intended (though not always).

That being said, let's get to it.

So why so grouchy?

1) Exhaustion
2) Too much time on my hands now that school is winding down
3) I hate everyone

What I did mean was that before ever even posting, you two were the people posting who, for quite awhile, had provided the most education for me in answers I was looking for, and it seemed (to not only me) that the disagreeing was starting to get, in places, pointlessly nasty instead, and I couldn't figure out why two obviously very intelligent people were wasting time on trivial personal "spatting" that is clearly beneath them when I have seen them write so intelligently, even when just casually, all over the place.

For my part, I felt annoyed at the undercurrent from many of the posters that (a) a DUI was so horrible that it should preclude you from reaching your goals, and (b) a DUI is equivalent to alcohol addiction. The first I just disagree with, and the second is one of those pop-culture cliches that ignores sound medical facts.

I jumped in because, while there was a lot of good and useful information going back and forth, there was also a whole lot of jumping on the OP (who had made himself very vulnerable by posting his story in the first place). I meant to provide a counter-balance. I meant to be reasonable, but later it just degenerated, probably mostly my fault.

I just, after having read a lot from both of you (one of you separately now), it was just my opinion (which your own argument has justified me) that you had a lot better to do than catfight.

Unfortunately, lately I don't. Wife is working, I'm on vacation. Hell, there's only so much TV and porn one guy can handle before he goes looking for a fight on SDN . . .

I simply don't feel I have the experience, expertise, or background to be deciding who exactly those people are unless I am currently suing them for malpractice because they cut off the wrong leg--I personally have nothing that would qualify me to make a judgment of that magnitude about the outcome of someone's entire life.

Nor am I so qualified. But it does make for a useful rhetorical tool, and I'm hardly the only poster here who uses it. Take a look at some of the other threads I've posted to in other forums. On Military Medicine, I get slammed for not being a Military Attending. On Surgical Specialties, the Residents dismiss me because I'm not a resident yet. These are just verbal weapons people employ when they lack a better argument. I am not above using them.

SO: You don't have to defend who you are so much. You really don't have to be so defensive at all. Let the intelligence you do legitimately have speak for itself...if you are indeed so self-assured, why explain yourself to "expected-failures-in-all-they-do?" You don't need to. I am only partially being sarcastic; I really do think you make your points much more efficiently when all the name-calling and being pissed-off isn't involved. And if you're going to call someone stupid, spell it right when you do it! 😎

I really only use this site for two reasons:

1) I meet sanctimony with sarcasm and insults. I believe that all sanctimony should be met with sarcasm and insults.

2) I do offer honest opinions and assessments when people ask for them. Sometimes this comes off as insulting, I know, but the opinions are still genuine. And I don't think that this is necessarily bad. When clearly under-qualified individuals ask for an assessment of their chances at med school, MCAT, Surgery, etc, someone needs to have the balls to tell them they probably won't get it. I find the constant positive feedback towards these people the worst part of SDN. No one should be encouraged to keep striving towards a goal they clearly won't be able to obtain; it is a waste of their life and steers them away from other things they would be good at and enjoy.

Also, I apparently can't call anyone stupid on here anymore. It's a violation of the terms of use of SDN, or so I was warned by a mod last week.

Okay, get mad again at me if you want, but I think your honest-to-god talents would be truly better spent in endeavors other than wishing me failure.

Actually, the whole "wishing you failure" thing was supposed to be a play off of the "anyone who listens to other SDN users' assessments of their potential is foolish". Sorry, it wasn't anything personal, and I rarely get mad.

I get what you're saying, it's just so hard to read when you're being nice and reasonable about it. 😀
 
What you need to do is get a lawyer, and have him file motions for a continuance to delay prosecution after you matriculate. That way you can honestly say that you have never been convicted of a felony. Once you're in, your're in, and it's much harder for them to kick you out. The way the legal system works, a laywer can easily delay the prosecution until august. Also, do not under any circumstance mention this to the medical school you were accepted too. They will kick you're ass out quicker than you know. There was a recent NEJM article discussing predictors of professional misconduct among doctors, and as you might guess, undergrad DUI were one of them. There are 100 people waiting to take your spot. Get a lawyer, and play the game, and don't let them prosecute until after the white coat.


I second this. If anyone tells you to talk to the school about, they are tarded. Delay and fight with an attorney. Being kind to the DA with your parents will get you no where. Where? No where! haha - movie quote. Kids and begging parents are a dime a dozen. Med school won't kick you out once your in, but you don't want this on your record period. Get a good attorney. You get what you pay for.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bump.... a lil more than a week before court again (for the 4th time)... Don't think I can get a continuance again... I'll tell you guys how it turns out. Wish me luck 🙁
 
I have a couple questions:

1) Have you spoken to your pre-med advisor? If not, I would probably do so after your next court date and see if he or she has any advice and\or experience.

2) Are you still waiting on other schools? If so, dont withdraw now! If you have more than one option (assuming court doesnt go in your favor, again, I would wait until after that) I would call the dean and tell him or her that this happened after you applied (you did not lie when you said you had no convictions) and you just wanted to make sure that this wasnt a problem and ask if there is anything you need to do in light of the situation. I would no withdraw from a second or third (or ninth or tenth!) choice until hearing from him or her, preferably in writing, that your spot is still good.
 
1) Yes, I do feel pretty self-assured. Those who pursue medicine should have a reasonable degree of confidence.



Thank you for your poor attempt to take me to task. May you fail in all your endeavors.

Tired: You are not self-assured, you are cocky and arrogant. There is a huge difference. Also, in an earlier post you mentioned that you hate people. Why did you choose to go into medicine? I hope, for you pts sake, that you have gone in to pathology, radiology, or something where the pts don't actually have to deal with you every day. I am not a doctor yet, but if i needed a doctor i'd stay as far from you as possible. Learn some compassion and started dealing with people as people.

As far as what this post was originally about- I think you should be able to get a second chance into med shcool. I would think that since you have been accepted the school would at least be willing to hear your side of everything. Tell them that you will get help if they think you need it and if all else fails see if they will let you come in on probation.
 
I'm pretty sure that even a single DUI conviction can suspend your physician's license in most states and is grounds for NBME? to refuse to grant your medical license.

I think the fact that you didn't take the breathalyzer might have saved you. At the beginning of medical school we were told that if you do get a DUI, there are measures that can be taken, but there are no guarantees. In the end, your school can't make the medical licensing committee grant you the right to practice.

You should definitely discuss this issue with a lawyer and be up front with your school. In other words, it might really suck to be denied entrance to medical school, but it would be worse to go through 4 years of medical school and then be refused your license.
 
Thanks guys... I early decisioned my school so another school isn't really an option, but thanks. Not surprisingly, my lawyer doesn't know what a medical school will do. I think every school is different, and it'll probably go to the school's judiciary committee.... Apparently my judge thats coming up is really bad, and I won't be able to get another continuance, I'll keep you guys updated thanks for all the advice thus far.
 
Tired: You are not self-assured, you are cocky and arrogant. There is a huge difference. Also, in an earlier post you mentioned that you hate people. Why did you choose to go into medicine? I hope, for you pts sake, that you have gone in to pathology, radiology, or something where the pts don't actually have to deal with you every day. I am not a doctor yet, but if i needed a doctor i'd stay as far from you as possible. Learn some compassion and started dealing with people as people.

Did you really create a brand-new user account on SDN just to post this pathetic attempt at a flame, over posts I made a month ago?

Just a heads up: The way people post on SDN has zero relationship to their behavior with patients. I am cocky and arrogant on this thread, I will admit, but I am loyal to my patients in ways you cannot begin to understand. Similarly, you come off as boring and unoriginal in this thread, but you don't see me accusing you of being a 15-year old virgin bound for a career in fast food, do you?
 
Not surprisingly, my lawyer doesn't know what a medical school will do. I think every school is different, and it'll probably go to the school's judiciary committee.....

I actually ran this scenario by my Dean at school last week, and without going overboard on the details, she essentially told me this:

1) There are no standardized procedures for background checks by med schools, although there is some discussion of this.

2) Currently, her understanding is that most schools (including mine) do not conduct any form of background checks. Certain rotations, such as those done at military hospitals and the VA, do run checks, but these are done by the hospitals, not the school.

3) At my school, this issue has never come up, and there is no set policy on what we do. Most likely the decision would be made on a case-by-case basis.

Sounds like, if you were at my school, your assumptions are pretty much on the money.

Again, good luck. Wishing you the best.
 
Wow, thanks tired, that was really nice of you to ask and good to hear. I'll keep you guys updated, courts in a week. I got a couple of aces up my sleeve... we'll see how it goes. Thanks again to everyone for your input, bad or good, just being able to talk about it is a huge relief. Thanks again.
 
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got it reduced to a wreckless!!!!! =) I am the luckiest person ever. Thank you everyone for all your help and advice!!!


Well, you'd be luckier if the charges were dropped entirely, but it looks like its all working out for you. Congratulations.
 
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got it reduced to a wreckless!!!!! =) I am the luckiest person ever. Thank you everyone for all your help and advice!!!

Nicely done. I would recommend celebrating with a beer, but you might want to stick with a coke this time. 😀
 
Tired: You are not self-assured, you are cocky and arrogant. There is a huge difference. Also, in an earlier post you mentioned that you hate people. Why did you choose to go into medicine?

Personally if I have a tumor on my brain stem that's barely operable I want some one who will save my life. I don't care if they are arrogent, if they really are the best. A compasionate person who is less competent and kills me does me no good. There's room in medicine for many different personalities and talents.
 
Thanks everyone. Now the real truth... if you really want to know how lucky I am. It was ******ed of me to drive and i've learned my lesson. I took a preliminary breath test at the scene, which isnt admissable in court, but i blew a .25; which is technically mandatory 10 days in jail, and that breathalizer thingy in your car. But thankgod I sobbered up to the point where I refused to blow at the jail (refusal carries 1 year suspended license sentence). Oh and the reason I got pulled over.... The turn was exceptionally wide and I didn't go far enough and I was driving on the wrong side of the road (I did get a wreckless driving for that). I actually got the Refusal dismissed also, but the judge gave 6 months suspended instead of 1 year. AMAZING. seriously good lawyers are worth every dime. I continued the hearing 4 times, this took place in september, until I got a good judge, which is some more lucky for me, in that the judge i was supposed to get was bad, but there was a substitute judge, who was awesome!! NEWAY goodluck to everyone and thanks again for everyones advice!!!!
 
Holy schnikes- 0.25? Three times the limit? That kind of puts a new spin on the whole bit.

Doesn't matter, though. It's all over. I think you are sincere when you say you've learned the lesson here. Hope you make the best of your opportunities.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
0.25. Holy schnikes. You're luck you didn't kill someone. Think of your own behavior sometime after you work a shift in an ER and try like heck to save people who got hit by the drunk who is down the hall screaming about how unfairly he's being treated while he's cuffed to the bed because he punched out a paramedic and cop on the scene of the accident he caused.

Learn from this one. You might not get a second chance.
 
What did your school have to say about the reckless driving conviction? Although you weren't convicted of DUI, the arrest shows up and your reckless driving conviction reeks DUI.

0.25? That is considered a felony in my state and you would have gone to jail IMMEDIATELY and not just over night. I think 0.30 is close to unconsciousness; you must have been PLASTERED.
 
I've seen conscious people in the emergency room with BACs over .4. It all depends on how high your tolerance is