I'm pretty sure I made a stupid mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I purchased the TBR book set a few weeks ago (They are amazing btw). I began TRULY studying for the MCAT a few weeks ago. I stuck to a schedule and everything has been running smoothly, until I opened the Biology I book. When I saw 'nerve and muscle' as the first chapter I thought "This shouldn't take too long." Boy, was I wrong making that statement. Here is my main question, do I need to understand every minute detail that the book covers? I have been reading my book/ watching a ton of Khan Academy videos. It seems like I will never finish this Biology book due to the dense amount of material. Is there a strategy to picking out the most important topics? For instance, on Khan Academy they cover a lot of material about nerves, neurotransmitters, lower motor neurons, etc... Do I need to understand in depth what GABA, Glutamate, and Acetylcholine are? If so, I may be pushing back my MCAT date. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I took on a research position and I don't know if that was the right move.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I purchased the TBR book set a few weeks ago (They are amazing btw). I began TRULY studying for the MCAT a few weeks ago. I stuck to a schedule and everything has been running smoothly, until I opened the Biology I book. When I saw 'nerve and muscle' as the first chapter I thought "This shouldn't take too long." Boy, was I wrong making that statement. Here is my main question, do I need to understand every minute detail that the book covers? I have been reading my book/ watching a ton of Khan Academy videos. It seems like I will never finish this Biology book due to the dense amount of material. Is there a strategy to picking out the most important topics? For instance, on Khan Academy they cover a lot of material about nerves, neurotransmitters, lower motor neurons, etc... Do I need to understand in depth what GABA, Glutamate, and Acetylcholine are? If so, I may be pushing back my MCAT date. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I took on a research position and I don't know if that was the right move.
AAMC tells you the topics that will be tested.

Reactions: 1 user
For instance, on Khan Academy they cover a lot of material about nerves, neurotransmitters, lower motor neurons, etc... Do I need to understand in depth what GABA, Glutamate, and Acetylcholine are?
Yes, you should know what those do and how they affect things not just rote memory stuff but how everything fits together.