Im residency chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palipad123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about applying to IM residency this fall. I am a US MD student. I had usmle step 1 score between 230-240 ( I got passes on all my 3rd year rotations). However, I will not be taking my step 2 until late September/early October. This means that my score will be back nov/December. Also I will not be able to do by subI in IM until 2021 because of scheduling issues. I was wondering with these limitations and assuming ( worst case scenario) that I barely pass step 2 will I still be able to match in IM ( I do not want to go to any malignant programs )

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking about applying to IM residency this fall. I am a US MD student. I had usmle step 1 score between 230-240 ( I got passes on all my 3rd year rotations). However, I will not be taking my step 2 until late September/early October. This means that my score will be back nov/December. Also I will not be able to do by subI in IM until 2021 because of scheduling issues. I was wondering with these limitations and assuming ( worst case scenario) that I barely pass step 2 will I still be able to match in IM ( I do not want to go to any malignant programs )

How are you not doing IM sub I until 2021?? That is ridiculous.... How are you going to get good letters for ERAS. That is your biggest concern right now... I would do everything I can to do an IM sub I prior to October

Reactions: 1 users
I got zero letters from my medicine subi because I had it in late October. I managed to get decent letters from third year preceptors on short notice. Obviously that’s not ideal. But it didn’t hold me back from matching at a strong academic IM program.
You should be fine. Do well on step 2ck. Apply broadly. And try your best to be likable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Matching anywhere in IM will not be a problem. Might have a very difficult time matching into a top 25-30. But I dont think youll have a problem with even low- mid tier university programs depending on where you went to school.

yes