Im residency chances

palipad123

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2015
  1. Medical Student
I am thinking about applying to IM residency this fall. I am a US MD student. I had usmle step 1 score between 230-240 ( I got passes on all my 3rd year rotations). However, I will not be taking my step 2 until late September/early October. This means that my score will be back nov/December. Also I will not be able to do by subI in IM until 2021 because of scheduling issues. I was wondering with these limitations and assuming ( worst case scenario) that I barely pass step 2 will I still be able to match in IM ( I do not want to go to any malignant programs )

Frogger27

5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am thinking about applying to IM residency this fall. I am a US MD student. I had usmle step 1 score between 230-240 ( I got passes on all my 3rd year rotations). However, I will not be taking my step 2 until late September/early October. This means that my score will be back nov/December. Also I will not be able to do by subI in IM until 2021 because of scheduling issues. I was wondering with these limitations and assuming ( worst case scenario) that I barely pass step 2 will I still be able to match in IM ( I do not want to go to any malignant programs )

How are you not doing IM sub I until 2021?? That is ridiculous.... How are you going to get good letters for ERAS. That is your biggest concern right now... I would do everything I can to do an IM sub I prior to October

Reactions: 1 users

MerYangBey

5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I got zero letters from my medicine subi because I had it in late October. I managed to get decent letters from third year preceptors on short notice. Obviously that’s not ideal. But it didn’t hold me back from matching at a strong academic IM program.
You should be fine. Do well on step 2ck. Apply broadly. And try your best to be likable.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

vanillaface1

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2016
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Matching anywhere in IM will not be a problem. Might have a very difficult time matching into a top 25-30. But I dont think youll have a problem with even low- mid tier university programs depending on where you went to school.

vernhart

7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
  1. Resident [Any Field]
yes

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.