1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

I'm scared

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dilex, Oct 16, 2000.

1. Dilex

Dilex New Member

Hey guys. I have a huge question... I have horrible grades... somewhere around 2.6 for both science and total. I am expecting to get about a 21-22 on PAT and maybe 18-19 on academic. What do you guys think my chances are anywhere? What are the easiest schools to get into? I need help... I didn't get bad grades because of laziness, I had problems, like my new husband almost dying of a kidney disorder less than one year after we were married! I was 21!!! Well, I really appreciate anyone who writes me a reply... I need to know what schools will not look at my grades... if any... thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chocobo

chocobo Senior Member

Characteristics of 1999-2000 entering class (the 5 schools with the lowest overall GPAs):
    (overall GPA, sci GPA, DAT academic, PAT)
    Meharry - 2.94, 2.76, 16.5, 15.0.
    Howard - 2.99, 2.88, 16.0, 15.0.
    Tufts - 3.16, 3.02, 18.24, 17.55.
    Tennessee - 3.24, 3.10, 17.0, 17.0.
    UOP - 3.24, 3.15, 19.9, 18.9.

UOP doesn't put as much emphasis on GPA. UOP looks at the following in this order:
    1. Personal skills and experience.
    2. DAT
    3. Academics
    4. Competitive AADSAS application

Good luck!

4. I had a question...I also stated my stats about my GPA and DAT (3.01 overall/2.7 sci and 18/17 on DAT). You made it seem like I have no shot. I applied to Howard, UOP, Tufts, Meharry...I don't think I applied late...actually I applied in August and by the time all the processing was through, the schools got them now (ADEA shut down for like a week). I also worked in a dentist's office this summer...I too had some rough times making me transfer from Boston University to my current school (SUNY Binghamton). Although my grades don't show it, I think I turned my attitude and maturity around. I was always a good student, my parents wanted me to be physicians like them, and after I got to Boston U, I got caught up in doing bad things, but I've changed. I know an 18 academic/17 PAT on the DAT is not the greatest, but I worked my ass off in the summer for that score. Anyway, I'm determined...do you think I'm being realistic or am I in la-la land??? Thanks.